Already my least favorite?

I used to be extremely frustrated by Cathe's step workouts. And, I, too, often wished for a chaptered breakdown of steps. Now that I've been working at it for awhile, I feel so accomplished that I've gotten most of it down. That's what I love about Cathe's workouts....I really can grow with them.

But, I do think your tone comes across as quite negative and aggressive. "I really shouldn't have to (and won't) spend hundreds of dollars on other workouts in order to do this one." In a way, I think you enjoy the "flames"....one thing I really like about this site is that everyone is so supportive, there is wealth of information and people are respectful to one another.
Paula

I agree with the above posters that your suggestions are more than welcome, but your rude and sarcastic tone is certainly not welcome.

Really, if I wanted a fight I could call my mother.
If I wanted to start a public arguement, I would have posted this on the open forum or on the video discussion forum.
I posted this on Ask Cathe - I thought I was directing it toward Cathe, not everyone else. Clearly, my mistake.
In the year plus I have been on this site, I regularly see people get flamed or criticised for airing the slightest criticisms of Cathe, so that is why I expected to be flamed. (and not surprisingly you all delivered). What I find most amusing is that it is apparently perfectly acceptable for you all to aggressively criticize me, attack me and call me names - interesting turn of standards there.
I have posted on this subject before and I've seen others do so as well (see a current post on the video discussions mentioning people literally being brought to tears with frustration - as I am now nearing, thank you - not the point of a workout I don't think), so I just would have hoped that those sorts of comments and suggestions would be taken into consideration.
So, yes, it is frustrating to then learn that rather than do that, there will be less cueing/breakdown. It makes no sense.

Again, I posted here because my comment was directed to Cathe. I guess I misunderstood the Ask Cathe moniker for this forum.
I am DEEPLY sorry for anyone who I so clearly deeply offened (even though it wasn't directed at you). I will withhold all future opinions. A million apologies.

What you don't seem to get about the "flames" directed at you is that you are not being criticized for having problems with Cathe's workouts, but rather for your harsh and abrasive tone. You make it sound like Cathe is out to get you.

I personally have no problem getting Cathe's cuing, and if she wants to make it more complex, that's great. That's my preference. But if these videos instead had more breakdowns (i.e. your preference), I'd be ok with that too. I know that I am not the center of the universe and that I can't always have my way. I might post on this forum (in a calm and friendly way) about why I'd rather have fewer breakdowns, but I certainly wouldn't find it appropriate to be nasty about it.

So instead of casting yourself as a victim, why not take another look at your original post and fess up (to yourself at least) that the tone of your post was a bit sarcastic and rude? There's really no point pretending otherwise. If you want to avoid feeling hurt and attacked in the future, you simply have to, as Beavs put it, use a little courtesy and tact.

Amy

I personally prefer no breakdown. Repeating base moves over and over gets boring once you finally get the moves. All DVD players come with a slow and pause feature. I am awful with learning choreography and I've mastered all of Cathe's workouts this way.

"I personally prefer no breakdown. Repeating base moves over and over gets boring once you finally get the moves"

which, we all know, Cathe is completely aware of, and I'm sure she gives a lot of thought as to how much/when to break down or not.

Let's stop the tone arguments (please?)and just agree that some people would appreciate a chapter with move breakdowns, while some have graduated beyone the need for it.

I'm pretty sure that one of the new online, downloadable projects that SNM indicated was to be coming out later this year was some kind of tutorial. If I'm making that up, someone, please correct me:) I don't know if it will cost anything, but even if it does, I don't expect that it will cost as much as a regular DVD, some maybe this will be a reasonable compromise for those who would appreciate some additional instruction on tricky moves in a new video.

Personally, I agree with other posters that I like the challenge, but then, I'm very familiar with Cathe's style of choreo. and instruction so it doesn't take me too long. I have a few step workouts by another instructor that I like very much, but her style is different enough that it definitely takes some concentration and time spent practicing, so I get where you're coming from.

I can't wait to hear that these are on their way to our hot little hands :7

Mattea

As a fitness professional myself, I am use to hearing a lot of "constructive criticism" from people...so I'm sure Cathe doesn't mind "suggestions". However, I think it is really unfair to first-decide you are not going to like something before you even see it, and second-to have such a mean tone about the situation. I don't want to start any "flames"...and I'm sure you didn't mean to sound so brutal...but, well, you did. I just feel that a little less scarcasm would be a lot more helpful. Just my opinion, not that it matters, or that you'll care... :)

Nicole

To the original poster,

When you put "flame away ladies" it sounds like you are asking for conflict regardless of the comments you made later.

I rarely comment on these posts, but I never understand them. No one is asking you to purchase the product......

Tracy

I have a few things to add to this already lengthy thread...

1. I am not knew to exercising, but I am doing the beginner rotation because I am new to step. I love that Cathe does not break down every move, even in basic step and body fusion, because I would get bored if she did (that's what happened with all of the other workouts I have done). I will practice with these tapes and then keep moving up to Cathe's more advanced dvds, which brings me to my next point...

2. No one is asking you to spend hundreds on Cathe's dvds. Yes, Cathe has a lot of dvds and yes, it becomes expensive very quickly. However, these dvds are a luxory item and not everyone will be able to afford them. It would be silly for Cathe to put breakdown chapters on every step dvd because she would be loosing money and wasting time. It is much more beneficial for the Cathe team to have the breakdown of those moves on one tape (presumably the one that introduces the move), so that you have to buy those tapes if you want a breakdown of any kind.

3. I really like the fact that with later tapes Cathe says things like, "you all know this one," and "...an old favorite," etc. I can't wait to get to the point of using the more advanced tapes and already knowing moves from previous tapes. It provides a warranted sense of accomplishment and even fellowship, which is nice.

I have almost all of Cathe's tapes. I have never really had to much trouble getting the routines. The only one I did have trouble with the on Step blast, the "fast feet" I think she called them. I backed up, rewound, etc. It took me at least 15 times of doing this workout before I had it. And I consider myself an advanced stepper. This one just got me. Anyway, I "embraced the challenge", and I was determined to get it. Now it is a breeze and lots of fun. I love step, jump and pump and step blast, and I hope she makes some similar tapes. Don't worry, you will get the moves, just watch it a few times, practice and enjoy yourself!!!!

>>>>I know you don't intend for that. And I know this request has been made repeatedly by other users in the past. That's why I go to you in the first place - superior product.
Please, please, please respect those of us that don't live for step but would like to try to work it in to our regimens.<<<<

Well, thank goodness Cathe doesn't submit to the minority and insert those boring and monotonous "instructional" segments in her choreography.

Good grief, when are people going to get it through their heads that Cathe (and very few other instructors) caters to the advanced exercisers?

I like the way Cathe does her workouts. I like the challenge, if I don't get a move right away, I keep trying. Once I do get it (and eventually I will) I don't want to go thru a long breakdown everytime afterwards. Sometimes she will introduce harder moves with a breakdown in the warm up. When I first started with Cathe, Imax 2 was my second workout I purchased. It was challenging! I had never done interval workouts, and my other Cathe was a high step workout. So it took me about 2 months to get the step moves. But once I got them~ WOW!! I felt great! Mentally challenged, and physically!! Quite an accomplishment! I consider myself and advanced exersiser. I consider Cathe an advanced instructor.

I guess the bottom line is, you can't please everyone. If your not happy with the descriptions (which I think she goes above and beyond with the Blog) then you don't have to buy. Easy.

Deanie

>I posted this on Ask Cathe - I thought I was directing it
>toward Cathe, not everyone else.

Obviously, this is not a forum where just Cathe will see these comments (which I agree are overly sarcastic and rude in tone). If you wanted just Cathe to see this, you could have sent her a PM or an e-mail.

I'm a klutz when it comes to choreography. What I do is watch the workout one time through before attempting it. That usually helps me get the steps down 99% of the time. Personally I do not want a breakdown chapter. I'd rather that space on the DVD be used for another premix.

I am going to actually try the workouts before I make a judgment on whether they are good or not. And I'm glad she is not breaking down everything. It makes the workout more fun that way for me.

While I, personally, don't know that I feel like I need a instructional chapter, I can imagine that there would be people who would like this or at least not care either way. I guess I just don't understand why some posters seem like they would be aggravated if this was included, especially if it is a seperate chapter as the OP suggested. I mean, I have lots of videos that include chapters that advertise their other videos, etc. I just don't watch it. It doesn't make me mad that it's there.

I don't think a single one of us would be "mad" if there was an instructional chapter on Cathe's workouts. I know I am (and I think I am speaking for some other posters in this thread) just incredibly offended by how rude the original post was. There are ways to give constructive criticism, comments or requests that would have been much classier and not come off as so sarcastic and harsh.

Allison

>While I, personally, don't know that I feel like I need a
>instructional chapter, I can imagine that there would be
>people who would like this or at least not care either way. I
>guess I just don't understand why some posters seem like they
>would be aggravated if this was included, especially if it is
>a seperate chapter as the OP suggested.

I think some misinterpret the suggestion as meaning having Cathe slow down instruction, or build up combos very slowly during the workout itself.

A separate chapter teaching some of the trickier moves (Cathe has done this somewhat in the intro to some of her workouts) would be a nice idea, which could make her workout more accessible to more people.

>A separate chapter teaching some of the trickier moves (Cathe
>has done this somewhat in the intro to some of her workouts)
>would be a nice idea, which could make her workout more
>accessible to more people.>

Agreed.

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.