Allergic to sunless tanners

treebaby

Cathlete
Is there anyone else that is allergic to sunless tanners? I tried one over 10 years ago, and I broke out into hives all over my body. I tried a different brand on Monday, and I broke out into little itchy bumps. Not all over my body, but on my legs, face, and hands primarily. I have my long overdue college graduation ceremony tomorrow (I should have graduated 15 years ago, and I finally went back and completed my degree), and thank goodness it is alot better. Does anyone else have problems with these products? I enjoying having a tan, so this is discouraging.

Just curious,
Teresa

I have the exact problem with some tanners--my skin likes the expensive Clarins milk, so your might too!:)

Congratulations!

Ok, I'm not allergic but I wanted to congratulate you on your successful completion of your education. From one lifetime student to another--WAY TO GO, GIRL!

RE: Congratulations!

Thank you SO much! It means alot that you took the time to congratulate me. I am excited, and my family is as well!

Teresa

I came back to ask something about sunless tanners, to see if anyone else has experienced this....

Even though the tanner doesn't smell bad going on--later in the day & until it pretty much fades off, I can smell this horrible "chemical, something died on my skin smell." Anyone else get that?

I am allergic to sunless tanners. (unfortunately) I am still trying to find one that I can use, but I have a feeling I will not be able to use any of them. And also, "yes" to the question of the smell for me too! After a few hours I really start to smell awful! They smell good at first, but later on the smell is horrible. It seems to magnify after you workout too! ;) (guess the warmth of my body and the sweat....eeww).

I am going to try a couple more this summer, but I am about to throw in the towel!

Linda

Congratulations from me, too!!!!! That's a wonderful accomplishment :)

I couldn't believe it when I saw the subject line! I'm allergic to sunless tanners, too and have NEVER met others who have the same problem! I've been trying for years to find a brand that doesn't break me out. I usually get little bumps that are itchy and even though they bug me, I still use the darn stuff because I just like having a little color and it's usually just the first day and then they calm down and I have four or five more days of color :)
I have literally tried almost every brand out there but just last week a NEW idea struck me which I haven't had a chance to try out....Maybe, just maybe if I used the sunless tanners for the face, it would be less apt to break me out! I'm going to give it a try - I have never actually used any on my face but you'd think it would be a little less harsh...

The other weird thing is that I only break out on my legs - I can tan the rest of my body to my hearts content with no problems whatsoever.
Karen :)

Hi everyone why we're on the subject on sunless tan, what product do you use that doesn't make you turn orange? Im afraid to try it because I don't want to turn orange! Thanks:).

Hi! I have also tried the sunless tanning route--but what worked well for me is Neutragenia spray. I cannot use any of the creams because I am too uncoordinated to put it evenly!!

Tanning lotion causes "burns"

I wanted to pass this along. This tanning lotion company (http://www.supre.com/index.html) is being investigated by the Food & Drug administration for using a product that has been banned for "certain uses." The report I saw on my local station didn't say which uses but showed people with severe rashes caused by the lotion.

I guess we really need to be careful what we try!

RE: Tanning lotion causes "burns"

Karen, as far as using the sunless tanner for the face on your body, it may work for you, but when I used it on my face it was a disaster. Saturday at graduation I thought my skin looked alot better, but after the ceremony in the outside light I looked at my face, and was devasted. I looked like I had a severe case of acne, and I was covering it up with makeup! Just prior to doing this, I looked in the mirror inside in the bathroom, and thought everything was copasetic, so hopefully it was just an outside light problem!

Barbara, as far as a brand that does not turn orange, the Neutrogena that I used last week was definetely not an orange color. It was a nice brown, but unfortunately my skin didn't like it!

I think I will try the Clarins milk that Hillskip mentioned, and drop it after that.

Thanks everybody,
Teresa

It is strange, but I am able to use it on my face and my face does not break out. Only my legs. But I have not tried the For FAces Only on my body. That is a good idea!

Linda

Definitely try it! I was trying Neutrogena (!) when I had the break out on my legs that itched so bad I thought I was going to lose it!! so Then I switched to Clarins. If that doesn't work, some of the lines like Estee Lauder have something like a "tan extender" which is barely a sunless tanner--more of a moisturizer. It is supposed to add depth to an existing tan, I guess. Anyhow, I really liked that because 1) I'm so fair and it didn't look suspiciously strange and 2) I had no skin problems with it at all. I would alternate between using clarins once a week and that like 3 times a week. Hope this helps and that you had a WONDERFUL time at your graduation!!!! a belated congrats to you!

Hi Teresa,

Congratulations on graduating! What a wonderful accomplishment!

Second, I have had allergic reactions to some sunless tanners in the past and continue to be an
avid sunless tanner. It may be sunless tanning ingredients or the amount of scent that is used to
cover up the unpleasant odor of sunless tanners. A sunless tanning product that I recommend
to everyone because a) it is so easy to apply because it's a tinted gel formula b) the color is terrific,
not a hint of orange to be found, c) it's amazingly affordable and d) it has very little scent yet doesn't have hideous chemical
smell is Paula's Choice Almost The Real Thing Self Tanner. You have to order it online at
www.cosmeticscop.com. It is, in my estimation, one of the best self tanners on the market. But if it
didn't work out for you, Paula's Choice has a wonderful return/refund policy.

I was wondering when and how you applied the self tanner? I apply my self tanner at night after I
take a quick shower to get the skin totally clean. Then I go to bed and viola! a tanned skin when I
wake up in the morning! My regular morning shower will get rid of any icky smell and the residue of
the self tanner, especially if you use a tinted one. I've heard of people getting rashes and such if
the self tanner mixes with sweat, deodorant, and other lotions, which is why showering briefly
beforehand is important.

Finally, for all things sunless tanning related, there is a website that answers any conceivable question
you might have. It is www.sunless.com. Also, a great place to order sunless tanners is
www.tanforless.com.

Hope this is helpful!
Sabine:9

Thanks everyone for the advise and well wishes!

Sabine, I waited until after I worked out in the afternoon, then I exfoliated, took a shower, and then I applied the tanner. I read in a previous post that exfoliating was important, but should I have done the exfoliating the previous day?

Thanks again everyone,
Teresa

You may have very sensitive skin and exfoliating and then immediately using self tanner could just be too much. You may need to experiment to see what schedule/timing of steps works best for you.

One more thing, did you use a self tanner that was newly purchased or something that had been sitting around? I believe the shelf life of a self tanner is 1 year and then it should be replaced.

Don't give up! I love a real tan (have the fine lines to prove it) but it's just not worth the risks.

Sabine

Ladies,

I just bought "Tan Towels". They are like wet ones. I have not used them yet but they say they exfoliate and their isn"t any smell, maybe a little lemony. They claim the towels are for all skin types and you will not have a reaction from them.
I bought mine from my esthetica shop, but I did see them on our (Canada) shopping cannel,www.tsc.ca

Hope that helps,

Pat

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.