Allergic to Green Smoothies?

melagras

Cathlete
I have noticed for the past couple of weeks that I have had a really bad sore throat and earache. I could barely swallow it was so bad. At first I thought it was changing to generic Singulair but then I hadn't made a green smoothie for a couple of days. When I did drink one, the sore throat and earache came back. I had an appt with my ENT last week (not related to this) and he said it has something to do with "drinking" your food instead of eating it. I was rotating my greens like you are supposed to do. Is anyone having any problems like this?

Thats a new one to me. You might be sensitive to something that you are adding, like a supplement or protein powder. I have no idea why drinking versus chewing your food would make any difference. A person drinks a milk shake but they don't tend to make you get an ear ache. Do you add dairy to your smoothies? Are you using kale or flax? Those irritate my system. Are you using one that has fish or sea salt? You might have developed an allergy to those (its extremely common to develop that later in life, my mother and aunty have both developed a fish allergy their 50s.) Unless you were snorting it, why would it go up in your ears??

Ask him to explain himself, this makes no sense to me.. . . .

Ok, now that I think about it: are you adding kelp? Kelp can irritate the throat and swell tissues in the mouth/esophagus/stomach.

I was rotating kale, baby spinach and spring mix with various fruits - banana, orange, red grapes, green grapes, mango, strawberries, dried figs, dried goji berries and pears. On occasion, I used the green smoothie recipe in the Vitamix recipe book that had broccoli and carrot with several fruits. I wasn't adding any dairy, protein powder or any supplements.

Could you possibly have the flu? I still have a slight cough from my case of the flu. It's been TWO weeks now that I've been ill. :mad:

My personal experience with green smoothies is that the "true" (fruit, greens & water) green smoothie does not work for me. When I drank them prepared that way, all I got was a HUGE carb rush. After I finished my smoothie, I was ravenous. :confused: I did not notice any throat irritation or ear problems, however. I found that I need to either juice my greens, or make green smoothies with almond milk and some protein powder for satiety. I have no explanation for it, but a green juice is VERY satisfying to me, while the fruit-greens-water smoothie combo is not.

I am sorry that I have no specific answer for you, but I thought I would share my personal experience. I do hope you are able to determine what is causing your discomfort, SOON.

Take care.

Could you possibly have the flu? I still have a slight cough from my case of the flu. It's been TWO weeks now that I've been ill. :mad:

My personal experience with green smoothies is that the "true" (fruit, greens & water) green smoothie does not work for me. When I drank them prepared that way, all I got was a HUGE carb rush. After I finished my smoothie, I was ravenous. :confused: I did not notice any throat irritation or ear problems, however. I found that I need to either juice my greens, or make green smoothies with almond milk and some protein powder for satiety. I have no explanation for it, but a green juice is VERY satisfying to me, while the fruit-greens-water smoothie combo is not.

I am sorry that I have no specific answer for you, but I thought I would share my personal experience. I do hope you are able to determine what is causing your discomfort, SOON.

Take care.
I was going to buy some vanilla protein powder when I started to notice these issues and stopped making them. I haven't tried to go completely green yet. Can you give me some combinations of greens that I can try?

Melagras, I follow the KISS principle (as with most things): Keep it Simple, Sista. ;)

I don't drink green smoothies everyday, so I don't concern myself with the oxalate issue, which I believe pertains to spinach, and not kale, collards, or swiss chard. I am not 100 percent certain about that, but I believe I read something of the sort somewhere. As for flavor combos - honestly, I just wing it based on what is in my fridge.

Normally, I use either a frozen banana or 1 cup of frozen mango (I flash freeze my own fruit - I don't purchase fruit that's already frozen). Then, I add only one or two other fruits (1/2 to one cup each - fresh or frozen), plus two big fistfuls of greens, 1-1/4 cups almond milk, and a scoop of either hemp or vanilla flavored vegan protein powder. I like to use mangoes and bananas because they thicken and add sweetness. Also, frozen fruit chills the beverage nicely without dilution. Sometimes, I may add 1/2 to 1 Tbsp of chia seeds, as they add a nutrition boost, and also thicken the mixture. I don't use flax in my smoothies because I get it from other food sources. Occasionally, I may add a tsp of maca, or some other superfood, but I choose just one. If you try to put too much into your smoothie, the flavors overpower one another. So, basic rule of thumb - just two or three fruits, two big fistfuls of greens, milk, protein powder, and sweetener to taste, if needed.

Combos suggestions using any greens of your choice -

Banana/strawberry/orange
Banana blueberry
Banana and/or mango & pineapple (kiwi would go well here too)
Banana and/or mango & peaches (fresh peaches are best)
Mango/Papaya (strawberries would be nice here too)

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. You'll notice I didn't include apples or pears, though they would probably be fine. I typically juice those. If you search the Web, you should be able to find many smoothie flavor combos. I can't stress enough not to add too much "stuff" into one drink. I found that makes a big difference in how pleasurable the smoothie tastes. :)

HTH! Cheers!!

It nearly sounds like you have a bacterial infection of the adnoids. Unless you have a clogged Eustachian tube and sipping down liquids is irritating it further. I hope you get better.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.