Age and working out

Hi Amy!

I see women all the time at my YMCA who are now going to the arthritis class in the small (and warm) pool (my Y has 2 pools). Sometimes they tell me that they wish they had exercised when younger, but women just did not do that!! Well my mom did, was a cheerleader in college (she graduated in 1952- 5 months pregnant with me), and as I was growing up she was always exercising. I started late, I was almost 28!! But I'm so glad I did.
See you in 2 weeks!
Barbara P

To Old? NEVER

Funny you should ask How old. TODAY is my birthday and I am 38! I am 5'2" and I always use an 8 inch step for everything even Cathe's Stepworks! I have never expericened any proplems! The harder the tape, the more I enjoy it!!!!!

Great responses!!!

Thank you everyone, for your responses!! I feel very inspired and motivated by you all. And I'm less nervous about doing high impact, (though I will continue to monitor the stress on my knees and modify as needed).

You all keep up the good work!!!

Age is irrelevant!

I've been teaching fitness for over 14 years and have loved every minute of it (well, almost). My present fitness regiment is 5 - 6 advance step classes per week (plus subbing when required) and I also run 8 miles every day. I just turned 46 and am usually taken for about 35. I can't even imagine giving up teaching let alone my fitness for many years to come (if ever). I would encourage everyone, no matter what the age, to 'just do it' (hmm, where have I heard that before?)

WOW!!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-99 AT 11:53AM (EST)</font></center>

To Cooper,

That is alot to do, 5-6 step classes plus run 8 miles a day. Do you ever feel as if you are overtraining? Iam 45 and I consider myself an advanced exerciser but I don't think I could handle that much. Sometimes on the 4th day in a row I feel like Iam going to just give out. So I take the 5th day off. Do you take any days off? Iam impressed at your fitness level.

Hi Susan

I've been really fortunate in that in all my years of activity I've had only a couple of injuries, and nothing serious. To answer your question, no, I don't take days off. To me running is such a daily part of my life, such a stress reliever, that it would be like not brushing my teeth. My body has adapted to it over the years and I can't imagine giving it up. As for overtraining, running for me is not just a physical situation, it is almost spiritual and gives me time to clear my head and think things through. I'm certainly not suggesting this regiment is for everyone, but is amazing what your body is able to adapt to if you have the desire. My other passion is step choreography and I find these 2 activities compliment each other. What can I say....46 and not looking back!

Just Turned "50" This Month

Hi Everyone,
I was quite suprised to find that there are a good amount of mature people out there taking care of themselves by woking out and sharing their expertise with all of us.
I have been reading about you guys for awhile but would never have guessed your ages, you all have such drive. I myself have been working on this body for about 3 years. 2 1/2 years at the YMCA where I was taking hi/low combo step aerobics w/weights 6X's a week, but they changed their format and have made the classes just step without the weights. I did not feel I was getting enough out of that. So for the past 6 months I have been using videos at home "Cathe", "The Firm", "Crunch" etc ---- Have been buying new videos like crazy, its geting scary. Anyway "getting more mature" has not hurt. I am 5'1 1/2" around 108-112 lbs - size 3 and doing at least 1 tape per night - 5 to 6 times per week. Its been said by others but you guys are a great inspiration.
Thank You
Louisa

re:Hi Susan

Hi Cooper,
First of all thanks for answering my post. I hope I wasn't getting too personal. Speaking of injuries. I haven't had any real serious injuries but I have started experiencing shin splints in my left leg. I love to get up early in the morning and go jogging when it is so quiet (I live in the country) but I have had to stop doing that because it was starting to bother my knees and it makes the shin splints worse. I can still jog on my treadmill without too many problems. I agree what a stress reliever it is. Sometimes I like jogging because you can just have your mind blank (no thinking about choreography). I also love step with tough choreography. For me the more complex the better. Also 45 and not looking back.

Thanks again,
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.