After kidney donation?

warchild2005

Cathlete
A while ago I wrote on this forum that I would have to donate my kidney to my brother Jay. Well last Monday thats just what happened I donated my kidney to my brother, and he and I are doing great! Surgery went well, it was hand assisted laparoscopic surgery it lasted about five hours. Well, I am to not lift anything over fifteen pounds and with still having to recover for a few weeks with no Cathe workouts aloud, it's gonna be very hard to not gain weight or loose any muscle that I've gained. The doctors want six weeks no hardcore workouts, I can work after three weeks so thats great, but how do I maintain my weight and muscle?

No advice to give, but I just wanted to commend you on doing something so wonderful for your brother. Glad to hear you're both doing well!!

Your system just went through a very traumatic surgery. You need to let it rest and heal. Eat clean and go for gentle walks.

Don't worry about the weight gain or the muscle loss.

If you don't allow yourself to heal properly you will do more damage in the long run. Be patient, and once your cleared by your doctor to excercise again, you'll recover your strength and endurance faster then you think.

I'm not answering your question, just wanted to tell you how AWESOME it is that you donated a kidney to your brother!! I have been a dialysis nurse for 11 years and I don't know if your brother ever had to do dialysis, but I see every day how hard it is on my patients, especially the younger ones. It is so sad that more family does not donate for their loved ones if able. I truly don't see it happen much. Hope you both do well.

That is an amazing thingt that you have done - so selfless! AS far as workouts go - if you eat relatively clean, the amount of muscle you will lose and weight gained will be miniscule. Let your body heal!!

Jay is blessed to have such a wonderful brother! Wishing you both a speedy recovery! I agree...don't worry about your weight & muscle loss at this point. Once you get back to your workouts, your body will respond quickly. You are amazing to offer the gift of life to your brother!

What a beautiful gift you have given your brother! Take care of yourself and allow your body to heal. Your workouts will be there when you are ready to jump back in;)

JJ

A while ago I wrote on this forum that I would have to donate my kidney to my brother Jay. Well last Monday thats just what happened I donated my kidney to my brother, and he and I are doing great! Surgery went well, it was hand assisted laparoscopic surgery it lasted about five hours. Well, I am to not lift anything over fifteen pounds and with still having to recover for a few weeks with no Cathe workouts aloud, it's gonna be very hard to not gain weight or loose any muscle that I've gained. The doctors want six weeks no hardcore workouts, I can work after three weeks so thats great, but how do I maintain my weight and muscle?

((((((((((((Hugs Warchild)))))))))) Wow, what an amazingly special and selfless thing to do for your brother. I bet this has brought you especially closer to one another. I wish you both a full and healthy recovery.

Recovering from surgery will need to be your priority now so just let your body put all of its energy toward the healing process. Once you reach the three week mark and get your doc's approval to start with light exercise you'll have a much better idea of what type of workouts you can handle at that point. Ease back into your workouts at a gentler and lighter pace and steadily your body will get right back to the level it was prior to surgery.

Best of luck to you and your brother. I'll be thinking of you:)

Luis, along with the others I want to offer my {{{hugs}}} and clap-clap-claps for your act of love and generosity to your brother. It's wonderful to know that you are both doing well!

IMHO, you won't lose much cardio capacity or strength at all during this exercise hiatus, and whatever you lose you'll regain quickly. You have youth on your side, and in all honesty your gender doesn't hurt either - most young men just aren't prone to quick storage fat gain as long as they aren't gorging themselves 24/7.

Hope you do recover quickly, but don't try to speed things up!

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.