ADVICE NEEDED ABOUT SHOULDER ISSUES

Iris_g1

Cathlete
Hello,

I need advice from those of you who have experienced shoulder issues. I was in my last week of STS - Meso 3, when I developed extreme shoulder pain. I could barely dress myself, or wash/comb my hair. The last time I did STS was on Friday, and the pain started on Sunday. I thought it could be due to the heavy lifting. Finally ended up seeing an orthopedist last Thursday. He took x-rays and found I have calcium deposits around the rotary cuff. He gave me a cortizone injection, and put me on Prednizone for 6days. He also gave me a prescription for physical therapy - 2x per week for 6weeks. I am struggling with the whole therapy issue, in that I feel I am and have been very active, so I don't really see what they can do for me in therapy that will be worth paying. I have a $50. deductible each visit, so if anything, I plan to go only for 1-2 sessions, just to learn what I can do at home to aleviate the pain. I am feeling much better now, as far as being able to use my arm more, but still in pain, and having trouble sleeping. I would really appreciate if any of you has any advice or insight that could help me along. Especially if anyone has been diagnosed with calcium deposits in the shoulder area.

Also, I would really like to get back to some light lifting soon, and am wondering what you guys think of that. I figure heavy lifting is out of the question for me for at least some time, but something like Muscle Endurance, or Jari Love's light weight workouts. I am not a fan of low weight/high rep workouts, but I guess I have to do what I can for now and not push myself too hard. My other dilemma is that kickboxing is my favorite cardio exercise, so I do wonder if maybe I have just been putting too much stress on my shoulders all together.

Any advise anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Hi Iris, I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder. I just aggravated mine yesterday after doing some power yoga. I would really watch it with Jari's millions of reps workouts. They tend to aggravate my shoulders and knees because she does so many reps in them, even if the reps are light weight. Be careful of the moves for shoulders (I tend to modify more often than not). What about doing step or walking or something like that for your cardio?

Iris --

I don't have calcium deposits but I have two tears in my right shoulder that recently flared up. Shoulder injuries are tricky.

I would advise you to see a PT, but don't continue with the PT beyond a visit or two if you're not getting injury-specific and individualized attention. From what I can tell, PT is a must, but if not done right it can be an expensive waste of time. As for returning to exercise, proceed very, very slowly AND understand that many exercises that are not specifically "shoulder exercises" can strain your shoulders, e.g., push-ups and triceps dips. If you feel shoulder pain during ANY upper body exercise, back off and don't try again until you are pain free.

Good luck!

oohhhh .. ITA w/nnowick ... shoulder injuries ARE tricky .. my chiro says they are the hardest to heal and take a LONG time to heal. I am not sure on calcium deposits .. but I did have a slight tear in the bursi and a ton of imflammation of the bursi .. I was scared I tore my rotator cuff .. luckily that was not it .. I had limited range of motion and loss of strength ...

My chiro gave me specific stretches and he did the electrode therapy on it ... the main thing is I had to LAY OFF the pushups completely (ice it daily and take ibuprofen) .. and gave it 2 week of NO shoulder work .. then minimal weight (10#) .. kept the chiro sessions and did my stretches .. and after 6 weeks my range of motion was back and I began to use heavier weight .. gradually added in pushups .. and my shoulder did great!! I was able to do STS all the way thru w/no problems at all (I was really scared it was going to flare it up again .. but luckily it did not)

HTH .. ??? .. the one thing I learned .. listen to the dr!!! IA also on the sessions .. depends on the quality of the PT .. I would for sure give it a shot .. and a couple of sessions .. I never believed in the chrio session that much till my shoulder injury .. he fixed me right up w/no shots!!! So if your insurance pays for chiro work .. you may want to look at that as an option too .. ??? (research and find a highly reccommended chiro doc though)

Good luck!!! an injury is NEVER fun .. and we never want to hear ... "lay off the exercise" but sometimes it IS in your best interst ..

Given the amount of pain you have been in, I would suggest that any degree of weight lifting is counter-indicated. You will aggravate the shoulder more and delay your healing. Don't do it.

Also, do not be too quick to express scepticism regarding physical therapy. I needed it last year and it was fabulous. It got me from unable to walk to being able to run without pain. PTs are experts at what they do and I think their expertise commands respect. I also think you need to remain open to the possibility that you will need and would be best advised to accept more than just 2 appointments because a good PT starts you off with evaluation for the first session and begins treatment on the second session. Then, the sessions start out with movement patterns that are currently comfortable for your range of motion and the sessions gradually increase that range of motion and load on the resistance over the course of time. Consequently, the exercises the PT gives you will also change and become progressively more difficult. The PT will not be able to show you in just 2 sessions an entire course of therapy that will get you from pain back to STS.

I am sorry you are injured, but we have all been there at some time or another, for me, quite recently, and recovery takes the time it takes. You have to respect the healing process because rushing it never pays dividends.

I wish you luck. Meanwhile, work the lower body as hard as you can, especially because since the lower body houses the largest muscles, you will not be sacrificing calorie burning or lower body strength and endurance at all. But just not kickboxing: you will want to throw punches and you really shouldn't until the PT clears you for it.

Clare

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I've had problems with mine for the past year (suspected impingement). I had PT and it does help. Once you have been given the OK to lift weights, I highly recommend Fitness Fix Intermediate, which specifically does shoulder exercises that help those who have had problems. BTW it has lots of other great sections too, including a fantastic core workout.

Emma

Iris,

Have spoken with you in a long time, but wanted to say I am sorry about your shoulder trouble. Please be very careful shoulders really are so fragile. You will be in my prayers for some quick healing and pain relief!

Hi Iris,

Just wanted to share my experience with you. About 3 weeks into STS I started having shoulder pain and had to stop doing upper body work all together. It seemed like everything bothered it, even sleeping. About 2 months of laying off the UB work, I finally went to a Dr. who diagnosed me with bursitis and prescribed PT twice a week. It made all the difference. After 3 weeks of massage therapy, electro stimulation we started doing band work to strengthen my shoulder and moderate to heavy weight work. Two weeks after that, I am back to lifting heavy with no pain. I did all of the exercises at home, but the massage definitly helped. I wish I had gone for PT earlier. And yes, a good PT makes all the difference. Earlier in the year I was treated for knee issues at a different PT and saw minimal improvement. But at the PT where I was treated for my shoulder, my knee is feeling better after just 2 sessions. I hope this has helped you in some way. Good luck!

I too have had problems for many years with my shoulder, two tears and just lots of inflammation in there after years of volleyball in college and lifting weights. However, I have worked through it many times. My injury is always there; but sometimes I don't feel it, sometimes I do. But, I can do everything in working out and lifting and have found that the arm movements in cardio actually hurt me more than weights! I also am very careful when I do military presses or over head that I am never, ever directly over my head. Always slightly to the front; and lateral raises, both straight arm and bent are slightly to the front, not straight out. I think that advice is good for anyone actually...because shoulders can get hurt to easily!

However, I cannot do 'man' push ups anymore. maybe 4 on a good day; but I have to be on my knees now. I can lift more weight than ever; but have lost the ability to do toe push ups becaus of my shoulder.

Just my history too! But it can be done, I have done 2 rounds of PT; no real help to me in my case; but I do PT exercises on my own when I am feeling inflammation. Oh, and Ice and Ibuprofren are the norm.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your advise and words of encouragement. I am shopping for the Quickfix intermediate recommended by Emma. Thanks Emma.

My shoulder is feeling better, though I still have some pain. I am slowly getting back to my workouts, but like many of you warned, there are certain exercises I can't do, such as push-ups, dips, etc. I never realized how much shoulders asist with other muscles. I feel my shoulder come into plain in almost any upper body exercise. Although not all cause me pain. I just have to exercise a little more patience for now and not be in such a rush to get back to where I was.

Thank you all for all of your advise and suggestions. You have all been most helpful :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.