Adri- what skills have you been doing?

gym_mom

Cathlete
OK Adri,
My DD quit gymnastics a few weeks ago and I need a gym fix. What skills have you been working on lately? Anything new and fun? When do you find out if you're moving up a level?

Claude
"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

Hi Claude!
I' now a Level 6!!!! for this years competition season!!!! I've been nailing my back walkover on beam latley. I hope it still goes well for meets. I'm working on giants on the regular high bar. I used to only do em on the strap in bar. The coaches have been spottin me but it may not look scarey but it FREAKS ME OUT}( }( I mean I did it once (with a spot) but it feels TOTALLY different than on the strap bar. Nothing else latley. Oh, I'm woking on a round off backhandspring back layout, but for some reason my legs keep wanting to bend slightley, no matter how hard I try they won't staighten out right. Oh well, I don't need that now but ill for Level 7.

Take Care!

P.S. Why did you daughter quit? Just cuious;-)

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you cry with your girlfriends.
-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Hi Adri,
Back walkovers on beam are a killer - it's what got to every level 6 at DD's gym. After those, the back handsprings on beam are a piece of cake (or at least that's what DD says). Congrats on being a level 6!! You must be so psyched. All that hard works pays off. Don't worry about the round off back handspring back layout - it will come. All the skills do in time.

DD quit :( because she felt that gymnastics was too much of a time committment for now. After her stress fracture this year, her gymnastics practices were cut down to conditioning only for three months. She got a taste of being involved in school activities like track. She loved doing other activities as much as she loved gymnastics. Plus she starts high school this year and has three honors classes. She's a little worried about how she will keep her grades up with all those hard classes.

It was a really hard decision for her. I think she's still not sure it was the right decision. As she put it, she still loves going to the gym, she just doesn't want to train that hard anymore. You have to remember she's been working out between 12 to 18 hours a week for the past five years. That's a lot of time in the gym.

That being said, she did accept a junior coaching position at the gym, teaching preschool classes on Saturday mornings. She's excited about doing that because, she still gets to go to the gym, she just doesn't have to spend her whole life there.

Plus she convinced me to sign her up for a hip hop class. I did tell her that if she wasn't in gymnastics, she'd have to fill her time with activities or chores (you know us mom's, we don't like to see you sitting around just watching TV or surfing the net). She's working hard on filling her time with activities. Hmm, wonder why? :p

I think it's harder on me now that she's quit. I liked the gym and the people and watching the team practice too! I wasn't ready to quit yet. But I'm not the one who is out there working those darn giants or suks (sp?).

Thanks for giving me my gymnastics fix. Keep me posted on how you're doing every so often. It'll keep me in the gym loop.

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Satchel Paige

I know gymnastics is a big time consumer. I mean 4 to 4.5 hours of practice, its wicked long. Sarah, I'll post things now and then of what I accomplished or how meets went, ect. I know how you feel, my mom loved meeting new ppl at the gym and talking to everyone.

Have a good night!! Take Care

-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

YAAA Adri!
I used to be a gymnast, then went on to coach after my own gymnastic days were over. So I know exactly what you are talking about when you describe how you are feeling when attempting new tricks. Once I got them down, I loved giants, and I remember how you are feeling right now about back walkovers on beam...
Keep us updated once in a while, gymnastics pulls dearly on my heartstrings!
Calee

Thanks Calee. I will. I'm still scared to go in on Monday and do more giants w/ the coach. They just freak me out}(. But I'll do it;-)

I hope ot coach too when I'm older. The coaches want me to start shadowing beginner and intermediate classes to see how they are coached, what skills they do (if any:p) ect. I think that will be fun. I can start coaching at 16!

Take Care!

-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

One of my bootcampers was a Level 10!!!! I asked her today, just so I could know what you people are talking about, LOL. I was impressed! :7

She coached in college and now people hire her to do their choreography. She's 28.

My DD (age 11, soon to be 12) is level 5 this year. After she dislocated and fractured her elbow this spring, wasn't sure if I wanted her to go back to it... but it's her passion, so I'm not standing in her way. I see the joy on her face when she's doing the skills!! (My little one, who's on preteam, is getting more into dance, so I think she may quit... which I think is a good thing, because my two DDs tend to be very competitive with each other.)

Good luck on level 6 this year.

Thanks!! This is ganna be though but I'll do my best;-)

-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Sarah -
My daughter was a level 7. She actually got hurt last year as a Level 6, but we didn't get the diagnosis until Dec, two days after her first competition as a 7. She complained about back pain that wasn't going away. Her coach said it had something to do with the way she was doing her backwalkovers on beam - she was twisting and not landing them on the beam. He assured us that once she "got it" the pain would stop. Well, we should have looked into it right away. The pain did stop when she started landing her back walkovers on beam. But it came back when she started working double back walkovers. We waited almost a nine months before finally having it checked out. She had a stress fracture in her lower back.

It sounds scarier than it really is. With a stress fracture, she technically could continue doing everything she had been doing, but her risk of developing a full fracture was much higher. For that reason, we decided (along with the strong recommendation of her doctor) to do just conditioning for a few months. We got the green light that she was all clear to do everything in April.

Yes, Adri, keep us all posted. We're very interested to hear how you're doing. And DD says that once you nail the giants, they're actually a lot of fun!

Claude

Thanks Claude:) I will post things about practice and what I new skills I learned and how I'm doing ect. Thanks for being so interested in it. Thats really sweet:D

Take Care!

-Laurie Kuslansky-

~Adri~
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.