accurate calories burned using elliptical

cvfinnegan

when i plug in the elliptical exercise under workout manager the workout manager ellipitcal calorie burns gives a 229 calorie count for using the ellipitcal for 25 mins of use and the elliptical machine that i used gave a calorie count of 580 for 25 mins. there is quite a discrepancy which is more accurate?

Calories burned

It is nearly impossible to burn 580 calories in only 25 minutes of exercise, no matter how intense the exercise is. Burning 580 calories in an hour is realistic, but not in 25 minutes. 229 is a much more realistic number.

Have you tried a Polar? My experience with machines is that they tend to be off a lot. I tend to burn about 550 calories/hour doing very intense cardio such as running/jogging hills or doing an Imax. But, that said, elliptical is intense (at least for me. it must be my short little legs.) still I really think its probably around 300 calories burned. It does vary depending on your body weight.

I've read many times that heartrate monitors that are strapped to your body, arm or wrists are more accurate than what any machine or computer program says. But given the two choices, the computer program does seem more on point.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.