A few questions...

Faythe

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
And hello to all my old buddies from this forum!
I have been off the forum for sometime, busy relocating. Finally moved to Tennessee. Cathe, sorry to hear about you hurting your knee, but am glad to hear your on the mend!
Before the relo., I had gained weight due to traveling a lot and eating lots of southern cooking and not having time to exercise until now. For the past few weeks I have been eating well and doing lots of walking/jogging and of course Cathe workouts:) . But I feel like I'm starting all over again, and it stinks...it's been a few wks now but it's still not easy. I've been having problems with chaffing on my inner/upper arms when I walk/jog and powder doesn't help. I was wondering if you had any advise.

I also wondered if it's ok to skip breakfast due to time restraints and workout for 2 hours in the morning and go right to lunch.(w/o=walk/jog 1 hour then an S+H series w.o then abs) - I drink plenty of water. This wont be forever, but for the next month or so. Then I walk in the evening (or do a cardio dvd) for an hour as well, an hour after dinner. I just want to make sure I'm not doing harm by not eating before I workout for so long. I seem to be able to do it. I would have to wake up really early to get breakfast in, and it's easier not to eat. I'd like your advise on this matter. Thanks so much, and I pray your back doing kickboxing real soon!
Faythe

Hi Faythe, (yep, I'm not Cathe and I don't like it when people answer for her, but oh, well! ;) )
It seems like the easiest answer to your question is just to cut back to two hours a day. Eat breakfast in the morning and do either your cardio workout or your strength training. Then in the evening do whichever one you didn't choose for the morning workout.
You should eat breakfast--it really does fuel your body.
And three hours a day is quite a lot, especially since you are coming back from a non-active period. Overdoing it now is not going to help you in the long run. To tell you the truth, even two hours sounds like a lot!
Wendy

Thanks Wendy,
I am trying to fit back into my suits so I can get a job without buying new clothes in this size that I don't have $ for anyway. So I'm eating very clean (low carb) lots of vegies and protein &H20. Once I'm working (hopefully by the end of May or early June) I will be doing just that, 1 hour cardio in the am, before work and then alternating the weights and yoga after work. But for now, I wanted to jumpstart it, and we wind up eating by 11am (early lunch). I can do it, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing damage. I lost 5 lbs this month so far, but hopefully wanting and trying to loose 8 in the next month, then I can fit in my clothes again.
The chaffing seems to stop when I wear a particular shirt, but otherwise, when I wear sleveless then my sweat just kills me when I swing my arms. I just discovered that today - wearing this shirt helped. I hope it stops eventually, I don't recall having that problem before....not like this anyway.
thanks for your advise.
Faythe
http://www.glennhansenmusic.com
The online home of singer/songwriter/guitarist
Glenn Hansen.

Hello Faythe,
I'm only about 21/2 hours from you, in a small rural town called Pikeville, near Fall Creek Falls State Park. I'm sure you guys will eventually come this way to see some of our beautiful scenery!
Anyway, welcome to Tennessee! We're glad to have you all.
Just remember with breakfast, your body needs refueling for the day, since it hasn't received nourishment in about 6-8 hours, it's best not to skip that am meal. Although, down here, you're much better off eating at home versus a restaurant. You know how we Southerners like to cook--- eggs/biscuts/gravy/hashbrowns/pancakes....... "sigh", only on my cheat day!

Anyway, welcome. Also, don't forget to check out some of our local horseshows! You'll fall in love with our famous Tennessee Walking Horses! Sorry,I couldn't help adding this,I'm a little horse crazy! Enjoy!

" My treasures do not chink or glitter, They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night" - Bedouin Proverb
" On the rail at a show walk!"
Melissa

I'm not Cathe either (although sometimes I wish I was). I just wanted to share my chaffing secret. I don't know if you've ever had children but if you have think back to when they were babies. My son used to get such horible chaffing between his thighs from the diper. Corn starch baby powder was the secret. It works great for under my arms and on my sides. It helps absorb moisture and reduces friction in those areas. Also taking a soothing bath by adding a half cup of plain table salt to your bath will help it heal. Take care!
Wendy O.

Hi Faythe! Congrat's on your move. I hope you are enjoying finding your way around your new neighborhood. Its always fun to discover new things, places, friends, and find a new routine.

As for the chaffing, I think you probably will do better keeping those areas covered with a breathable fabric until the inflammation disappears. Once the area cools down you can try the corn starch/baby powder ideas unless you find it has already provided relief. Just a suggestion, of course ;-)

Wowee, three hours of exercise a day???? Please don't feel the need to ever do that much. You will burn out and or overtrain with that many hours. It is especially a lot since you have been away from exercise for a while. It is better to ease back in.

I suggest starting with only 3 to 4 (30 to 45 minute low to intermediate intensity) cardio workouts per week for the first two to three weeks. In addition do S&H series with lighter weight once a week for two to three weeks too. Have one day completely off to recover as well.

After this "break in" period you can gradually increase the frequency, intensity, and duration of your cardio workouts. I would also suggest switching off of S&H series to another weight series so that you don't burn out on it.

As for food intake...I'd love to see you make room for breakfast, even if it is a very light breakfast. Especially since you mention that you are doing low carbs. Low carbs tend to zap one of energy quickly so it is quite amazing that you were working out three hours per day on a low carb diet, whew!

For a light breakfast consider having 1 piece dense whole bread with a smear of peanut butter and a half a cup of slightly diluted (with water)orange juice. That should digest pretty quickly and contribute a good energy source to your workouts.

Good Luck!

Cathe,
I had done some firm tapes and walking for about 3 wks before I started this regiment. I don't know how, but I do the 2 hrs in the am and the 3rd is not as hi impact in the afternoon. I could just get up and eat a quick bkfst like you said and go lay down another half an hour and then workout. (I have this great all natural no sugar peanut butter and really good whole grain bread and I always do 1/3 OJ and 2/3 water)
I seem to be only loosing 1.5 # a wk, and I know that is good, but with the workout and clean eating I'm doing I would think it would be more like 2.5. I want to get into my suits by the 16th for this job fair. That's why it's so much right now. I normally wouldn't do more than 2 a day, and eventually when I'm in maintenance mode, I will do just 1 hour a day. Thanks for your help Cathe!
Thanks Wendy, I've tried the medicated baby gold bond, it helped a bit. And the type of clothes I workout in -
And Melissa, thanks so much for the welcome. We are looking for a house in the area, we are in an apartment now. We are looking outside the city, where it is rural, yet not too far from the city. We are loving it here, so different from NY.
Thanks all, Faythe

Try Bodyglide for the chaffing. You can pick it up in any running store. Their are other products like it also.

I'm not sure how far out you may want to live, I've heard a lot of good things about Lenoir city, it's about 15-20 min. commute, I think. We love going to horseshows at White Pines, it's about 30-45 min. East of Knoxville. I do hate going through Knoxville on 40 with the horsetrailer, everyone seems to be in a hurry. It's especially hard during football season.... "I wonder why"..... ha ha. Anyway, I wish you "happy house hunting". Don't forget to come over and visit us at Fall Creek Falls, you won't be disappointed, especially in the fall of the year. I know the Smokies are gorgeous too, but we're a little different, "less commercialized" here.

" My treasures do not chink or glitter, They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night" - Bedouin Proverb
" On the rail at a show walk!"
Melissa

I wonder if your body is holding on to the smaller amounts of energy you are taking in since you seem to be expending so much on a daily basis.

I believe I was overdoing it and not eating enough a couple of months ago. I added just one additional "snack", dropped the 30 min cardio in the AM and began to drop some weight. (I didn't have much to lose but helped rid some of the extra fat hanging around).

If you calculate approx how much you need without exercise and then add about 1000 - 1500 calories for the workouts you are doing you may be possibly going "negative". That tends to change your metabolism since your body knows it needs those 1000 - 1500 calories minimum per day.

Just an observation . . .

I did not know there was anything like that, I will check into it at our local sporting goods store. thanks!!
Melissa, That's funny you mention Lenoir city, that is on our must see list. We were there one evening at Walmart, but it was too dark to explore. We also want to check out Dandridge and that is near White Pines (same county), and a few other places.
We have a few places we want to visit and go hiking or to caves and that sort of thing like Chattanooga which is about 1.5 hrs away, and Nashville about 2.5 hrs, etc. We will have to put Fall Creek Falls on our list of places to visit. (we love nature/hiking/etc.)
And Jacque, I am Not calculating my calories at this time, just kind of feeling it out, and I know I'm doing well - but you gave me something to think about. I do have a snack after dinner of peanuts or cheese and whole grain crackers or berries, and for lunch and dinner I have a meat (usually grilled) and a veggie or two (large portions) and sometimes a half of a yam for one meal, or very hi fiber whole grain pc of bread and a tad of butter. But I eat the meals until I'm not hungry (but not stuffed). I'm trying to learn how to eat right without adding cal's up. Cathe mentioned peanut butter in the morn on bread and a little oj - Maybe that will add up to what my body needs if that is the problem. I have heard that a long time ago, but forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks again,
Faythe
http://www.glennhansenmusic.com
The online home of singer/songwriter/guitarist
Glenn Hansen.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.