6 or 8 inch step: does it really matter?

sunsdaughter

Cathlete
hi cathe and all,
i did bodymax 2 yesterday (**love** this workout!)...now, i'm about 5'4", with short legs. i prefer to use a 6" step...it just feels more comfortable. now, i haven't mastered BM2 (i take occasional breaks) on the 6" step, but i'm not sure that i want to move up to an 8" step. so, i guess my question is, does it really matter (in terms of building leg strength and cardiovascular stamina) if you work out on a 6" or 8" step?
looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I'm not Cathe

But, it really is that additional layer of intensity. That said, you don't have to unless you are ready and want to. I use 8 inches on LIC and I'm 5'2". You do get used to it. Also, you might like it on the easier older workouts like Step Fit. It helps keep the intensity up with a lower impact workout.

I only moved up to 8" (I, too, am 5'4") when 6" started feeling too easy. I would say to stay with 6" until you feel like you're not getting the intensity you need. When the workout feels too easy, then it's time to move up, or, if you just don't want to, increase your intensity by making the power moves more intense with higher jumps or deeper squats.

I have bodymax2 as well and I started out at a 6" height but did eventually move up to 8 I am 5'4" as well. I think it does make a difference, or at least it did for me, I felt that the 6" height just wasn't challenging enough and at first the 8" was sooo hard, but now I can do the workout without taking any extra breaks, in fact I now use an 8" height even for the imax dvd's. I think it's always important to move to that next level if you feel ready.

I tried LIC on 8" once when I was feeling particularly "fit" that day.
I wanted to DIE 5 minutes in! :) That was also the last time that I ever used that step. Ha!

Cheers to all of the ladies out here that use it regularly! You're my heros and I will sit on 6" sidelines in awe. :)

I'm also 5' 4 and LOVE step. I don't find that the 8" height is too much for me intensity-wise, but what I did find was that my left knee didn't like it. I ended up with a bit of a delicate knee - though it is doing much better now. I had to back all the way down to just using the step- no risers for a bit and that really helped my knee. So if you think 6" works for you - I'd say that is great. Listen to your body.

Do what's best for you!

I echo other's responses by doing what works best for you. I too am 5'4 but going over 6 inches for any DVD for me is bad news with my knees regardless of the intensity factor. If I were to need more intensity, I jump higher and put more effort into my movements bc that 2 inches is the difference between making through my workout and being down and out for weeks with swollen knees. Listen to your body as it knows best. I still get a great workout with 4-6 inches and my knees thank me! I'm having knee surgery # 2 on Monday so I won't be stepping for a good 6 weeks. However when I do, you bet I'll be the one with the 4 inch step while Cathe and the crew put me to shame with the 8 incher!

Totally agreed with the other posters (interestingly my left knee bothers me too with an 8" height), but also wanted to chime in that there is a HUGE difference between the two heights in terms of difficulty.

Adding my $.02

I don't find that the 8 inch is any more intense, probably bc I am a bit more timid on the 8 inch. I don't go as hard or as high, because I'm afraid it will trip me up. I can safely give it my all on a 6 inch and get a better work out. I feel more secure that way. Also the 8 inch step leaves my knees SCREAMING for the next couple days. Even low impact like LowMax. OW OW OW!!!!!! So 6 inch it is for me, and put all my oomph into it.

Nan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.