40 Years of Fit Hits for Cathe's 40th! :)

amy_b

Cathlete
Happy Birthday, Cathe! These are all real hit songs from each year since you were born. ENJOY a little trip down memory lane!

1964- The Beatles- Twist and Shout
1965- James Brown- I Feel Good (OR sometimes...)Beatles- Help!
1966-The Supremes- You Keep Me Hangin' On
1967-Gladys Knight- Heard it Through the Grapevine (...and grape again!)
1968- American Breed- Bend me Shape me
1969- Foundations- Build me up, Buttercup
1970-The Supremes-Ain't no Mountain High Enough
1971- Alive and Kicking- Tighter, Tighter
1972- Bill Withers-Lean On Me
1973- Barbara Streisand- The Way We Were (...is thankfully NOT the way we are now!)
1974- Carl Douglas- Kung Fu Fighting
1975-Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
1976- Commodores- She's a Brick House- (She's mighty, mighty, built like an Amazon!)
1977- Paul Simon- Slip Slidin' Away (and none of us are doin' that, are we?) Instead we are Dancing Queens by ABBA!
1978-Jimmy Buffet- Cheeseburger in Paradise- Does that count for clean eating??
1979-Michael Jackson- Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, (for some of you that would be 90 minutes!) Some others of us are singing, "I Will Survive" (First I was afraid, I was petrified....) :)
1980-SOS Band- Take Your Time do it Right (Theme for Slow and Heavy!)
1981-Kool & The Gang- Celebration (sing it..let's do knees around the world, C'mon!) OR Styx’s Too Much Time on My Hands- the song for the inverted shoulder press!
1982-Kool & The Gang- Get Down on It (How Ya' Gonna' Do it if you really don't wanna' dance?
1983-Culture Club- Do you really want to Hurt Me? (Good pain, only, right?)
1984-ZZ Top- (She's Got) Legs- OR Jump Pointer Sisters (Jump HIGHER!)
1985- Dead or Alive- You Spin Me 'Round
1986- Peter Gabriel- Sledgehammer (sledgehammers, icebreakers, wood chops, whatever! :)
1987-Salt N Peppa-Push It
1988-MARRS- Pump up the volume (With the MUSIC LOUDER option!)
1989- Bobby Brown- Every LIttle Step
1990- New Kids On the Block- Step By Step OR Ice Ice Baby- (Water, Ice- Light sips, no guzzling!)
1991-Lenny Kravitz- It Ain't Over Til Its Over (AND you've done the cool down- no quitting early!)
1992-Nirvana- Smells LIke Teen Spirit (or like I just worked out)
1993-The Proclaimers- I would Walk 500 Miles (some days, I feel like I did!)
1994-Ace Of Base -Don't Turn Around (too many times or you might get dizzy)
1995-Blues Traveler- Runaround OR Whitney Houston's Exhale
1996-Duncan Sheik- Barely Breathing- (after Imax 2’s 9th interval!!)
1997- Chumbawumba-Tubthumping- I Get Knocked Down, but I Get Up Again!
1998- 3rd Eye Blind- Jumper
1999-Marc Anthony- I Need to Know (exactly how many reps are in this section!)
2000-Phish- Heavy Things OR Creed's HIGHER!
2001-Smashmouth-I'm a Believer (I just do what you tell me and it works!)
2002- MIssy Elliott- Work it!
2003-Vanessa Carlton -1000 miles (and you thought 500 miles was bad, wait for Hardcore!)
2004-R. Kelly- Step in the Name of Love!
Happy 40th Birthday!! Hope you have many more “hits” to come!

Great Tribute to Cathe and to some great music of our time. I'm 51 and as a music lover this surely took me back to recall some fond memories. Thanks for posting.

MAr:)

Thanks for posting that, Amy! I'm turning 40 a month after Cathe; what a cool trip down memory lane!

-Marie:)

Glad you enjoyed it! :)
However, my husband just informed me that "work it" is a very explicit song. :eek: I have only heard little bits of the song and I didn't realize that. Sigh~ I must admit, I generally listen to 70s and 80s music! Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Hi Amy! Wow, what a great tribute. How unique. I really enjoyed going down memory lane. Funny, I still use a lot of those songs in my classes. Great hits equal great workouts, right? Thank you for such a special birthday tribute. Take Care:)

Amy~Thanks for sharing. That is too cute! Loved your lil' comments too! I've also used MANY of those songs in my classes. I was told "Push It" wasn't too "nice" either by someone after using it once. :eek: I guess sometimes I don't hear the words as we are jumping around having FUN! Thanks again!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Happy (belated?) birthday from the UK Cathe.

It's my 40th tomorrow (15th) - I'm just aiming to be fit and fab at forty with your help!

All the very best

I had a little fun with that. :D I got a mini iPod for Mother's Day that FINALLLLLY came in. So...I decided to organize a bunch of my old favorite tunes in chronological order..which led me to make a fun chronology "Friendship Celebration" CD for a friend who's been a friend for 30 years this month...which made me realize how several of our old favorite songs were workout songs and jokes..which made me think of my current workout favorites...which led me to appreciate you..which led me to make this list. :)Just like The FIXX used to sing..."One Thing Leads to Another...." Help! I can't stop! Must be all that BLUE eye shadow that I used to wear on my BETTE DAVIS EYES that caused this brain damage! I love music! :)

I turned 40 on 4/4/04 -- my motto was "fit by 40" and I think I made it! Happy to be able to do Cathe videos now, and I hope she keeps it up so I can age gracefully along with her.

242/151/135

Cate,
I am assuming that the numbers below are your "accomplishment". Great job!! Keep it up - us 40 years olds got to give the young 'ens on their toes

>242/151/135

Laura

Gypsygirl >^..^<

Happy Birthday on the "real day"! I hope it was wonderful! :) Thank you for all you do for us! And a big congrats to the rest of you who posted about your birthdays as well. Have fun!
Amy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.