I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts as well. I've been thinking about it a lot lately

I'm intrested as well. I do another web that logs ur food calories but id like to stay on one web source. Wanted to try it but wasn't sure it would be be any better then any other I'm on. I'm also on a budget.. mot sure I could afford the bigger pkg. I tjink there's three diff one u can buy.

I have never tried the nutrition software here, or the one in the link. I have used the free software from Fitday.com for years, no ads etc. The only thing that they can improve on is the list of choices when you do a search to add something to your food list. For that I go to CalorieKing.com and just take the info there and transfer it to my food list at Fitday.

I thought I'd weigh in here since I have used the nutrition program...and I think the silence from other Cathletes is telling.

I paid for a trial period and found the program just frustrating. The "grades" are good on one hand but I find the depth of detail adds to my own OCD issues and it was too easy to get wrapped up in trying to get a good grade, as it were. Another time-suck that I didn't need.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Cathe and all she does. I'm pretty sure this nutrition software is made by someone else. It's just too clunky for someone like me.

I've used sparkpeople, and weight watchers, and most recently myfitnesspal.

I think simpler is better. I prefer a program that will let me watch my macros at a glance. I also want to have a lot of control over reports, particularly over time - which is where mfp falls down IMO.

Overall I think the best thing is to find one and stick with it. None of them are perfect but many of them are perfectly fine. Tom Venuto is coming out with a nutrition tracker that sounds interesting. But again, it won't be free but it will be more fitness focused than the more generic programs.

HTH.

Just wanted to chime in and say that of all the nutrition sites of tried, Cathe's gave me the best results. It really shows you where you're lacking and where you're going overboard. The grading system worked really well for me and pinpointed where I was going wrong. I think it's worth the monthly fee.

I used the third party "vitabot" Vitabot software via Cathe's website for a year.

I agree with a previous poster if you have any ocd traits this is not for you. I found by by failing to make the "grade" drove me a bit batty. ;) :rolleyes:
It is how ever a very good tracker for not only calories but vitamins and minerals. If that's what you need.

I purchased a program Diet and Exercise(one time charge) I can use on my ipad or computer. I like keeping "my recipes" on file.

Hi again...you may be all set with your program but I wanted to stop in for anyone else who may be wondering.....

I decided to invest $9.95 and see if Tom Venuto's program was worth the monthly fee.

My review? Meh.

It isn't intuitive to use, there's no mobile app portion, and I don't see that you can run reports (although, admittedly, haven't looked that hard).

I'm going to stay with MFP - I like the mobile app, and the ability to scan barcodes, and the reports (although I do wish they were a bit more flexible and covered longer periods of time). And....it's free....and cheap is good but free is better in my world, LOL.

Good luck with your tracking!

Like Suzanne, I use MyFitnessPal and have probably been using it for about 9 months. I love it. It has a HUGE database of foods and you can enter your own manually or using the barcode scan, as was mentioned earlier. You can also log your own recipes, which makes life easier the longer you've used the software. It's also free. I have not used any of the paid services, I used the Workout Manager one for a minute, but I found MFP was much easier to use and they have a mobile app so I can log all of my food no matter where I am. You can also input your exercise calories and monitor how that impacts your total food intake for the day. I think it's extremely robust, and is even more impressive when you think about that fact that it's free.

Eva

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.