Workout routine

sabrina schwarz

I own a lot of cathe dvds but not all-does it matter which ones I do and when? I workout 5 times a week and I rotate with arms, legs or cardio so if I'm focusing on that body part does it matter if I do whatever dvd I fancy that day? I also use Kelly coffeys dvds which some are all over body workouts - again does it matter if I did them rotated in with cathes on any given day? How do you all workout? I also do about 2 hours walking daily too. I'm just curious as I'm yet to see any real muscle definition, I realise it takes time but need to hear other views! Thanks

I think it does make a difference depending what your goals are. Endurance for example is a different number of reps compared to strength training. And if weight loss is your goal then your workout routine will likely have more cardio. Nutrition is key in order to eventually see the muscle. How long have you been working out? If you're not seeing what you want then maybe take a look at one of cathe's rotations and try insert similar dvds for the ones you don't have.
Good luck

If you are pushing gradually/continuously for progressive overload in weights, pushing for improved cardiovascular endurance, pushing for intensity in your workouts (where intensity can be provided by changes in weight loads, speed, number of reps, higher impact, increase in overall work volume, decrease in rests during workout), then I have found, personally, that it doesn't matter which individual workouts I choose.

I don't follow rotations. I pick a DVD/workout each week or each day based on what I want to focus on right now (where 'right now' could be a time period of unspecified length, or, basically, as long as my interest in a particular objective lasts) and based on how I feel physically and mood-wise.

I doubt you will ever be dis-organized or schedule workouts that are all over the map. Once you have been working out for a while, say 6 months, you start to realize your strengths and some of your weaknesses. From there, you'll start forming ideas of what you would like to improve upon --heavier squats, mastering the push up in different modalities, improving your muscle power through plyo workouts, getting a stronger core, etc, etc, you decide!-- and then, even if you don't map it out exactly, because I never do, you find a general ordering in your workouts decisions starting to happen based on helping you towards mastering that goal. Then, you either master it, improve enough or get bored and decide to change up your focus again and tailor your workouts accordingly. Personally, I find myself doing this in a largely unconscious, loose fashion. This suits my personality, but others would view it as hopelessly disorganized, lacking in focus and hate it!

It all depends upon your personality really.

Overall, though, I gotta say that the number 1 factor that decides physical changes and improvements has to be consistency in your workouts and enjoyment. Bear in mind that some people will train glutes, for example, for 2-3 years with incredible and intense focus before they start seeing the aesthetics they are after. Changing your shape through weight training is a slow, accumulative process. Just keep challenging yourself and you'll get there.

Clare

I think you will ultimately need to find what works for you and your schedule but going for overall health and fitness is a good way to approach working out. Yes, you may focus on say your upper body for a few months (especially handy if say you have an injury preventing more lower body) then switch up things for say the next 2 months. I like to keep up on my weightlifting, cardio, and stretching all the time and just rotate through my Cathe workouts depending on my mood, time available, time of year etc.
Concentrate too much on one thing and you are more apt to have an injury or become too imbalanced. Someone was just telling me how they want to get washboard abs and I reminded them that there is more to health than just the abs. Not to mention you need to work on the opposing muscle group.,
Anyway whether you need structure, like say following Cathe's rotations, or you are able to do your own thing, I think variety is best. Best wishes!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.