Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 3/19

Hi Everyone,

Monday I did XTrain Hard Strikes & Body Beast Build Shoulders. Yesterday I did XTrain Cardio Leg Blast + Core 2 and today I did Cathe Live Climb & Sprint Cycle.
Things are pretty quiet around here. It's been chilly this week but it's supposed to get into the 60's tomorrow. I think we are going see this band in Ann Arbor this weekend:

https://www.reverbnation.com/theinvasionband

Carolyn-Congratulations on the 5 years! That is awesome! So great that you can go to an annual schedule now.

Valerie- I switched to the 3D Mammogram last year too. Great job on the bike ride! Hope we can start riding outdoors here soon.

Diane Sue-I like to use 1 lb weights for the boxing workouts too. We had to replace our garbage disposal a few months ago. We went to Home Depot and bought one, brought it home and when we opened the box we could see right away that it had been used. We took it right back and were able to exchange it for a new one.

Lori-You have been working so hard and working out so hard, it sounds like you really needed the rest.

Hi to Deb & Caitlin!

Judy

Good morning,

Yesterday we went to one of our favorite breakfast places...then to the coffee place for John to restock on his favorite beans.

Valerie, John had a flip phone, waterproof for fishing. He had to "cave" and get a Smart phone when he had the security installed in his office. With this phone he can make sure the security system is turned on, and also view the cameras if he wants to. He still doesn't like to keep it on....if he goes somewhere and I think I may need to call him, I have to remind him to turn his phone on! Probably good that your DH gets a phone that you are familiar with because it sounds like you will be doing all the set ups etc. Sounds like you had a nice ride.

Diane Sue, so you used a USB cable to move stuff from one phone to the other...I pictured you actually "holding the 2 phones together and the stuff just moving from one to the other....:).

Carolyn, the good thing about misplacing your cell phone is that you can call it to find it! My cousin had to do that with my uncle's phone all the time. He would put it in a drawer, then tell her that someone stole it. :(

Diane Sue, so exciting to be getting new carpet, paint etc. Just in time for spring!

Lori, you must be needing this rest...good for you for not just ignoring it and plowing away....that's when injuries happen. Do you use the app on your watch to find your phone? That does sound kind of funny. :)

Judy, great workouts! I saw that you did that Live spin one over on MFP...great that Cathe has included some of these in her Live workouts. That band sounds like a really good cover band. Nice to hear some of the "oldies" live. UGH....a used disposer? I can't believe Home Depot would do that...ugh...were they embarrassed in any way when you brought it back?

No big plans here for the weekend....just hoping we get some sunshine.

Take care,

Deb-they were very embarrassed. Chris called the store right away and told them what happened and when we got back there the manager was at the customer service counter with a new one waiting. He even took it out of the box to show us this one wasn't used. We've never had anything like that happen before.

Judy , I would say an employee was not doing their job checking out the merchandise before putting it back on the shelf. Mine is definitely not used. We took it out of the box last night. A used garbage disposal would be gross. I saw Cathe had a live spin class yesterday. I don't have Cathe live right now though or I would have tried it out. We went to Lowe's and purchased our garbage disposer. We were out checking a show room that had granite and flooring and Lowe's was nearby.

Deb, there was two ways to move stuff. I did do the one with set up and transfer app holding the phones together back to back. No USB cable for that.
These cell phones do so many things. My Fit bit app has a feature now where I can keep my cell phone unlocked as long as I have my Fit Bit within 100 feet of it. That is hand.

we have all these arguments about the stupid current phone and answering it..... yesterday we were getting on the bikes to ride and the phone rang. chances of this being anyone we need to talk to is about zero.
mt biking is hard on things! phone goes in a zippered case with cc's, $, key. that' s zipped into the rear carrier on my bike. really, how can you have the phone accessible while mt biking and keep it safe? road biking probably, but mt biking? I guess we will find out when Mr smarty pants gets a phone and he puts it in his backpack. I will be able to give him flak for not getting to it before the call goes to vm. it was of course an unknown number and no message. DH will be fine with the set up etc, but he will set it down somewhere and walk away without it. history says so. at least most mens' clothing has pockets.

wow a used garbage disposal!. pretty amazing that slipped thru. at least they didn't act like it was business as usual.

Lori a couple days off is good sometimes. enjoy it, and when you go back to a workout it will feel great and you will enjoy it.

Today I did Pyramid Upper Body--oh my! My upper body is talking to me now and I'm sure that I will really feel it tomorrow. I had forgotten how it feels to do all of those sets.

It's weighted gloves that I use with the JS workouts. I made a mistake when I was writing. The gloves weigh 12 ounces each and the set is 1 and a half pounds. They are fingerless with an opening for the thumb and one for the rest of the hand and they have velcro fasteners. They work perfectly with the JS workout because there is nothing to hold. They also work well with boxing and kickboxing if I don't want to wear boxing gloves.

Hello to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Today I did Les Mills Pump Extreme, 61 minutes, 343 calories followed by Les Mills Hardcore, 15 minutes, 60 calories. Total time was 77 minutes, 403 calories. I really think as tough as Les Mill Pump is it should have had a better calorie burn. only gave me 167 for that hour of work. Obviously, I did some figuring to come up with a calorie burn based on the past burns with Polar. Map my Fitness using the body pump setting was 560 calories which never makes since to me since it is using the Fit Bit heart rate. I was getting my heart rate up and Les Mills Pump is a non stop workout. Sort of the format of Power Hour but I think more difficult I think. I was going to add a little cardio but I am just too tired today. I haven't slept much in the last week. I think it is catching up to me. Maybe a nap this afternoon.
weights track 1 legs 40# barbell
chest 25#barbell (this one always gets to me before 4 and a half minutes is up)
legs and back 35# barbell( I like the mixture of squats, rows, and clean and press and deadlifts with this)
triceps 10# dumbbell (they use a weight plate)
biceps 25# barbell (those bottom end reps are tough)
lunge lunges and squats 35# barbell
shoulders 8'2, 5's and a 25# barbell
abs no weight

Valerie, I generally do not answer the phone when I am driving or in a place where it would be difficult to answer. I wait till I find a place to stop and do it or I am done. I purchased one of those armband phone holder thinking I would use it while on the spin bike and walking the dog. I do not like it. You cannot really push the buttons to answer fast enough with it attached to the arm in a pocket. It is pretty much useless if I am planning to answer it and like you said, it is generally not someone I know or want to talk to. My family texts most of the time and they come up on my Fit Bit so I know who it is and basically what it is about till I am prepared to answer. I am driven crazy by callers all over the country and even out of country. I forgot about this till I set up this new cell phone and the ATT call protect was not on it. I set it up last night after 3 calls from someplace I never heard of came in. I do not appreciate wasting my time on those calls. Putting the numbers on that do not call list does not help. Anyway call protect will block some of the calls and I may get a ring but then it stops.

Carolyn, my 1.5 lb weighted gloves has two fingers in holes and a thumb hole. The rest are free. I find them to be a lot more comfortable. I have another pair that is more open but the Velcro teds to come loose while I am boxing and that becomes a bit of a problem. I have had them a very long time.

I've seen people running and riding with those strap arm holders. they don't look good to me. it's illegal here to talk on cell phones while driving although seems like everyone does anyway. I don't, not even hands free. traffic is usually awful here and I don't need to talk to anyone that badly. if I do, I pull over and make the call. I found the do not call list helped a lot at first but not 100%. robocalls and butt dialing don't get stopped. we get surprisingly few garbage calls on either land line or cell.
We have pretty much decided to get an iphone 7. almost the same as my 6s. ipad, phones should sync programs, and numbers. we won't have to buy a different set of chargers and cords etc. he didn't like the freebie Samsung phone offered thru Verizon. they look the same so will get a different color. I make a point of texting occasionally just to know how to do it. will never be able to type with my thumbs. it's like they're in the wrong place, can't get them anywhere near the keypad. one thing I don't like is having to keep track of where the phone is. always appreciate the land line for staying in known places.

Valerie, my husband always complained about texting and said his hands were too big for that little keypad. Now he texts but he uses voice to text. He uses that feature a lot. I never use the voice to text myself. My grandchildren and children text me all of the time so I have to know how to text.

Good evening ladies,

This morning I felt like a new person and did several SB Bounces from her streaming. 45 mins/293 cal. As usual I used my 1.5 ankle weights and decided to try out 2# hand weights instead of my usual 1# when I bounce. Felt great. When I do the power jump workouts no way can I go with 2#'s. The movements are just too fast.

Diane Sue...is the Patrick Goudeau an Urban workout or his own? I have not put the clips on the smaller rebounder yet. I have been using the larger one. Going to try them out this weekend. If they do not work I am going to request I get a new one. I agree the Les Mills should be a huge calorie burner. I have never done them but know of them.

Judy...nice variety with your workouts. How did you like the Live Climb & Sprint? I have not seen the preview clip. Enjoy the band!

Deb...lol! Yes I use the apple watch or my ipad to find my phone. My husband says this app is necessary for me.

Valerie...we have the iphone 7 plus and have been very happy with them. I do hands free while driving and place 75 % of my calls while driving. It's the only time I have to catch up with my friends. I commute 50 minutes each way and I have 2 friends that I call in the morning every weekday and the 3 of us have a conference call. We have been friends for over 50 years and never run out of conversation!

Carolyn...I have never done pyramid upper body. Sounds like a tough one. I am going to look for 1.5 weights gloves.

Have a great night all!

Lori, it sounds like you were ready for a great workout today. Patrick Goudeau is a URX dvd. Each instructor has two different workouts in the set except JB Burns who did one which is my least favorite and then the added one of Greg Cook that was a third one for him. The thing is with Les Mills Pump I generally go to the heaviest or heavier weight for a lot of the moves. I know that I am working hard and from what I understand most body pump type workouts are calorie burners. They really should have given you another rebounder. Sending a few clips just does not seem like an answer to their problem. I would be really unhappy after spending the money on it and them not standing behind their product.

Good morning,

I did some work in the attic yesterday....I have a short window of time before it is too hot to work up there. I am determined to get it done this spring. So much stuff to go through!

Judy, I am glad that Home Depot actually acknowledged that they had sold you a used one!

Diane Sue, I have a Samsung phone too, but cannot get it to open up on my desktop PC even with a USB cable. I think since the computer was reset to factory settings, it doesn't recognize the phone, and I don't know what to do so it will. Not sure why you need to keep the cell phone "unlocked" (?)...using the FitBit? Yes, those 2 Les Mills workouts for that long seem like they would give a higher calorie burn.

Valerie, I would do the same as you....put the phone is the safest place when riding, and don't worry about answering until you are stopped somewhere safe and easy to get to. Time Warner ( now Spectrum) has a free service for land lines to block Robo Calls....I get at least 2 a day, sometimes more. The phone rings once and then stops. I don't ever recall getting a robo call on my cell phone. The "do not call" list did not help much here. We still got all those annoying calls. The NO-MO-ROBO service works great!

Carolyn, I really like Pyramid Upper Body, except for how fast Cathe is between exercises...I always have to pause the DVD. Aren't Cathe's weighted gloves the ones that have the little sand bags that you can remove? Each is one half pound I believe? I have those and like them a lot. I keep forgetting that I can up my weight for each hand easily by a pound rather than having to jump 2 or 5 pounds by using them.

Lori, glad you are feeling better and are back at the workouts! I agree with you ....if those clips don't work, they need to give you a new one.

Agility class this morning, then maybe a hair cut/color...

Take care,

Today I did Yoga Relax. I had planned to do Pyramid Lower Body but I felt the need for yoga.

Lori, Pyramid Upper Body has five sets for each exercise. You do 12 reps with lightest weight, 10 reps with your medium weight, and 8 reps with heaviest weight. Then you go back to the medium weight and the lightest weight. That makes for a lot of repetitions! It's a great workout.

Deb, I don't have Cathe's weighted gloves, but it is helpful to be able to add just a little weight to aerobic workouts. These little gloves don't make my hands sweat and they don't interfere with my Fitbit.

We went to the outdoor farmers market this morning which is always a great outing. They seem to add more vendors each season. It's a great place to browse in addition to the fresh vegetables and eggs that I want to buy.

Valerie, I wish that my husband and I had the same phone. It would certainly simplify things when he needs help. I have an iPhone 6 and he has a Samsung.

Hello everyone and enjoy your day.

Deb that's my main complaint about Cathe workouts... speed between exercises. the rate of the reps themselves is fine. Even with weights out and ready, I need a few more seconds to set down, pick up. she's already on the next move! If I need to move the weight bench, put down the mat, or switch gloves, check my notes for what weight I need, I need to pause..... no way!. ICE workouts are better for transitions.
yes, weighted gloves with sand bags are cathe's. I like them. mine have no coverage on the palm side. don't know if all are the same design. I get callouses there. need to use fuller coverage gloves. so I often switch gloves and need to pause.

I don't fall much anymore. an expensive phone in a jacket or pants pocket seems dumb and careless. leaving it in the car is an invitation to thieves. I have a small red zippered pouch for my key, credit card, Id, phone. it goes from pack to pack. zips into an inside pocket. I can't get to it quickly, but I can call back in a few seconds if I need to. I put us on the do not call list a long time ago and it's worked very well for us. I know it's not true for everyone. I don't pick up calls if I don't recognize the number or area code. Our land line thru the cable company has a call blocking service. you can block specific numbers if you get repeats. it's free and works well if you end up on a robo call list and the same number keeps calling you. haven't needed it on the cell.

Had a scare the other morning with my new DW. when I opened it, water in the bottom and an error code on the display. could not find a listing of error codes in the owners manual. it would not run, would not complete the cycle. DH googled it and it said the water line was blocked. we opened the sink top vent and sure enough, somehow debris was clogging the line. I never run it without the fileter and clean the filter regularly. no idea how debris got there but it did. I don't understand why common error codes aren't listed in the manual.

another nice thing about the I-phone 7 is it comes with 32 gigs of memory whereas the 6 had only 16. I paid extra add to 64 because that was the next level available . over kill but I didn't want to be short. we won't have to do it with the 7 as 32 should be plenty. we will do this Monday.
Lori, we never set up blue tooth on our car. might do it with the next car so we can talk legally if we are not traveling together in the same vehicle.
ETA Carolyn we posted at the same time. that's what I want to avoid.. two phone systems. both of us on the same system will be easier, plus same set of cords and chargers will work.

Today I did URX-MT Amy Bento Kickbox Metabolic Intervals and 15 minutes of Patrick Goudeau Metabolic Strength Intervals, 68 minutes, 484 calories. I then did P90X3 yoga, 30 minutes, 64 calories. Total time 98 minutes, 548 calories. Max heart rate was 166. I wanted to see if I was remembering right which ones do not have jumping off and on the Rebounder. Both had some. Amy's was a bit easier with step off jump on etc. . Patrick's was jumping from side to side off the rebounder. I remember now that I used to face the rebounder for the jump on and off instead of jumping to the side. I do the same with Cathe on Ripped with Hiit. Unfortunately I kept Gertie upstairs with me and she was really wanting to go downstairs when my husband had someone come to get a plumbing estimate for making a third bath that would be sink and toilet instead of just toilet. Every time I would get off the rebounder she would be leaping on me trying to let me know she wanted to go downstairs. I leaped off and she ran in front of me. I hit the floor on my booty. So, by this time I was pretty much done with the workout for the day. Patrick Goudeau is the one that does not used the sand weights till near the end of the workout. Amy uses them through most of the workout. I worked with 2 and 3 lbs.. So, I am thinking it is pretty much only JB burns that stays on the rebounder the whole time. I also realized that I have only 7 of the 13 workouts typed up plus the 3rd Greg cook which after looking it I realized it is rebounder, floor, and weights. I need to do that one again. It is another workout that I purchased around the time I had the knee surgery.

Deb, I am not sure how that works with the phone. I hook mine up via usb and the pictures download to my documents. So, I can find them there. My husband tried pulling off some other stuff and he couldn't even get the family videos from my original phone. What I did with the two phones gave me my apps. I only have some of the pictures. I did download them all before I set up the new phone. I think the ones that are showing now may be the ones that I had moved to my sd card I had added to the other phone and put in the new one. I got an second memory card for both my phone and my tablet so I wouldn't lose so much stuff. That is odd that your computer doesn't recognize the phone. Keeping the phone unlocked while my Fit Bit is around makes it easier when I am using apps while working out or researching without having to keep putting my pass code in every time to unlock it. Could you put a fan in the attic? Ours doesn't have much room which I mentioned before. My son fixed up his garage with some stainless work station cabinets, an air cooling unit, fans, and they have a big screen and projector in their garage, the floor is painted. It is really nice. I would imagine he could cool his attic if he wanted to.

Carolyn, I was feeling the need for some yoga today as well. I have not been taking as much time for stretching lately. It seems that I am always in a hurry to get done. The farmers market would be a nice outing. I like the premix on Pyramid that does total body. You get and extra turn at the leg presses. 5 sets is a lot if you are pushing your limits.

Valerie, so much of the time those workouts end up taking me an extra 10 minutes because I have to pause to write something down or adjust weights. I also have things set up to try to avoid this. With Pyramids I usually use dumbbells and both my 15# barbell and the one I got from Beach Body , also the easy curl bar. So that way not as many stops but I still end up having to pause. My car is the same way with codes. It gives codes for time for an oil change and everything else. I had to look them up online. The first time I got a code I was looking all over for what that code meant. That is good that you figured it out. I finally have a working non-leaky garbage disposer which makes me happy. I have been using call block on my phone. I am on do not call, I have call protect, but I am still getting calls. The ones that are coming in seem to have names attached to some or the city name. Oddly, that had quite after I put call protect on my other phone. Now this one seems to be drawing a whole new group. My phone number did not change so that is crazy.

No family brunch tomorrow. We are going out for dinner to celebrate our anniversary that will be Monday since my husband is working on Monday.

Lori, how tall is your jump sport? My Urban Rebounder is 10 inches. I am just curious. I know someone who has a Bellicon and she says it is taller. I think that those URX workouts can be modified by doing some other moves instead of leaping off and on the bench. One of the moves with Amy is a jump off with one foot on and one off with a hammer down then back up. Not too bad. Or another is off the rebounder is a burpee then a step on in a deep lunge move and jump up on one foot. I think it would still be doable. She has one spot where there is leaping off and on and another that I have problems with which is core, walking out with the hands off the rebounder and feet on it which I can do ,but walking back and standing up at the quick pace is hard. I can't do all of it. Maybe because I am not that tall. I finally stood up today and just did some jacks and jumps to finish out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.