Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/25

Good evening ladies!

This morning I felt like subbing in a couple of JS workouts for my Xtrain workout. I only had 30ish minutes so I started out with 20 minute legs. Used 10's and 12's instead of her 5lbs. Really made it intense. I followed up with her 15 minute calorie burst from her 30 day walk on dvd set. This was the first workout I have done from this set and I loved it! I did wear 1.5lb ankle weights and 2lb hand weights to up the intensity. Great little workout. Looking forward to trying out the others in this set.

Deb...hoping taking the medication at that set time with food gives you continued relief. I used to buy a few magazines thru amazon kindle app and itunes. I liked reading them on my ipad. However, they were building up so I cancelled my subscriptions. No sense paying for unread magazines.

Lynda...glad you liked Ramped Up Cardio. The cardio wasn't too crazy in this workout. Congrats on the plank pushups!!!!! Awesome!

Carolyn..hoping you are feeling better tomorrow. You will easily get addicted to Live!!! I have had it since the beginning. Her personality really shines and I like working out with everyday people.

Diane Sue...yes makes sense with your allergies to reseach the food you do. Have you always had these allergies? I have heard sometimes they can come from no where. You still managed to pump out a good workout day even with your allergies. The pumpkin sauce sounds great to me with the cinnamon.

Have a great night all!

Good morning,

The DR changed my meds because I was not getting much relief from what I was taking...I can't wait until I find out what is going on.

Diane Sue, what is up with our age group and lack of sleep? That's great about the video and the magazines, I had never heard of that. John gets so many free magazines at the office, and he brings home the fitness ones for me to read...I skim over and then send them back with him for the waiting room. :). I'm not sure I would like cinnamon in that sauce either.

Lynda, no instructions about taking meds with meals...I tried both ways, and found sometimes the ones I was taking worked well, and other days not so much. John must be allergic to ragweed as well, he has been coughing a lot lately, no cold or anything.

Carolyn, go for it! You won't be sorry....( hopefully you can get through the set up easily...sometimes there are issues depending on how you want to view it).

Lori, when do you leave for Florida?

Going to see our lawyer this morning, to finalize wills, health care proxy etc etc.

Take care,

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm back to normal workouts today, after taking an active rest week. For my rest week I did short JS walk workouts, the Fit Tower beginner and intermediate workouts, and yoga. I also had 2 days of no workouts. I'm going to try to do this every 4 weeks or so, depending on how I feel.

Deb-I'm sorry that you are still feeling bad. I hope the new medicine helps. Ragweed has been horrible this year. Chris has been coughing and sneezing and he doesn't usually have allergy problems.

Lori-I have been loving the JS workouts. I don't have the 30 day walk on set, but I think I'm going to order it. That's a great idea to use ankle and hand weights.

Diane Sue-I've been getting less than 5 hours of sleep most nights according to my fitbit. I am the same way with sinus allergies. I only have a short time in the winter when I don't have problems.

Valerie-I had skin testing for allergies in the 90's. My main allergens were weed, grass & tree pollen, and ragweed was the worst one. I didn't get allergy shots, as my insurance at the time wouldn't pay for them.

Lynda-great job on the plank pushups! I will have to try Ramped Up Cardio & Weights. Sounds like a great workout.

Carolyn-I hope you feel better today. Yes, you should try Cathe Live, I'm sure you would love it!

Judy

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Lean Lower Body (51 min.). Another good workout. This one I would classify as intermediate, so it was good for me. She only uses 15 and 10 lb. dumbbells, a sliding disk, and a green leg band. Lots of variety.

Judy, that sounds like a great active rest week. I felt like that when I was out in Minnesota--mostly a lot of walking.

Deb, I agree that the ragweed must be very bad this year. Kim's voice plummeted to a baritone from his usual tenor, but he didn't have a cold or feel bad. I hope you find some answers soon with the heartburn.

Lori, I agree on the cardio on that workout--a real mix of high and low impact that I could manage. My legs felt like rubber after the workout today. I have not worked them that hard in a long time.

Carolyn, I hope you feel better soon.

Diane Sue, I think / hope I get about 7 hours of sleep at night, but I don't know because I don't have a Fitbit. Now that it's darker in the morning, I feel like I could easily doze for another hour.

I am keeping up with the fire out in Santa Cruz. Some of the pictures my son sent me look very bad.

Today I wanted to work on the choreography on Amy Bento Ross Advanced Step Challenge 5 that I have never completed. So,, I did the warm up and combo 1 then came back and finished after my weight workout doing combo 5 which was really short and the stretch. 31 minutes, 149 calories. Not so great but, I was busy losing my footing. Loads of spins and turns off and on the bench. I think this is one of her harder ones, unless it is easier in the middle. Today's weight workout was Workout B. This was pretty much all Amy's Slo Mo premix total body challenge 2 with a couple of additions. It took me 85 minutes but I did have some pauses to write some things down. It should go a bit faster next time. Total time 1 hour 55 minutes, 552 calories.
Workout B
W/up, then paused to add 3 sets of 8 reps assisted pull ups
wobble hack squats (heels elevated on edge of risers) 8 reps 15's 3 sets you get 4 reps of biceps curls with each of these sets as you go
1 arm pull over 15# 8 reps 3 sets 4/4 count first two sets then there is a pause 2 count hold and 2 count return on the final set
cradle side lunge 40# barbell 8 reps 4/4 count first 4 reps then the 4/ 2 hold 2 2 sets right and left
seated row I used my heaviest tubing and grasped low on it Amy uses a barbell with a green band wrapped around one end of it so you really have to stretch the length of the bar and your legs. 2 sets 8 reps with the pause hold she does in the other exercises
single leg rock up squats with a stability ball and 15# dumbbell 3 sets 8 reps some with the pause hold
standing reverse fly with external rotation 8's 8 reps 3 sets
chest around the world 8# pair start on hip face down rotate out to sides as in a fly and bring up overhead as in a pull over and back to start, 3 sets
standing concentration curl 40 # barbell 3 sets 8 reps
decline triceps dips 2 set bodyweight stop here and go to
chapters menu triceps scull crusher (French press) on an incline step 20# 8 reps
Core -standing circle 8# , standing clamshell 8#, standing relay 8's, seated sit and levitation tucks, run around step and down to forearms and back up right and left, barbell rollout 40# 2 sets, plank jump in
stretch

Lori, nice work on the JS workouts and adding extra weight to it. Yes, I have had allergies since I was around 7 as far as I remember. England was wear it started. I remember a lot of misery then. It just seems it has become worse and I must be allergic to more things. When I lived in Arizona during jr high and high school I don't remember much with the allergies. It was more of a migraine problem. I met my husband in California and we stayed there for a few years and it started up again there. It has always been an issue in Oklahoma, just getting worse.

Deb, it seems like the older people get the more sleep problems they have. I have no clue why. I try to limit caffeine to only a bit first thing in the morning. I mix one scoop with the rest decaf. I read all of this stuff about the importance to health and longevity of having a full nights sleep. I had the same problem last night. I wore the Fit Bit again and I had 15 times restless once awake and 4.6 hours sleep. No nap today so I hope I sleep tonight. I hope changing the meds helped. I spent time reading up on histamine intolerance and autoimmune eating last night. A lot about gut health. I have a couple of books I would like to get. I saw that some of the charts were on Pinterest. I won't get the one book as a download. It has way too much information and charts and from reviews the kindle version is not very clear to read.

Judy, it sounds like you are in the same place that I am with the allergies. I would love to have a decent nights sleep. I think I have forgotten what it feels like to be really rested.

Lynda, I hope they get the fires under control. I like when they mix up low impact between the high impact. It is easier to handle that way without feeling like I am pounding my knees. I wake up as soon as some light peeks in the cracks. I have darkening curtains, but the little that comes in around the edges wakes me up.

Good evening ladies!

Today was my rest day. Went into work early and knew I would be working late so wanted as much sleep as possible. At this point just some last minute things to take care of.

Deb...hope the new meds work for you. I leave Saturday morning and come back Tuesday late. Once I get there it's easily 15 hour days. I never get a workout in but I am ok with that. All the running around, unpacking boxes and setting up is exhausting. When I have free time it is usually to take a nap! Puppy is coming a week from Saturday. We are excited.

Judy...what a great active rest week. I have a new respect for JS with the workouts I have been doing. By adding the ankle and hand weights really made a great short workout. I reviewed the rest of the set and look forward to trying them out. I am having a hard time sleeping too. Lately, I am up at 2am for an hour or so before I fall back to sleep. Recently, I started using the activity app on my apple watch and I love it. Never really paid attention to steps and miles walked before. Amazing how much I walk at work.

Lynda...been a while since I did that lower live workout. Will need to watch the clip. It has been so hard for me to get up in the morning with all the darkness. Poor Nilla hates to go out.

Diane Sue...I remember now that you mentioned the allergies started when you were young. I like the hi and low mixed together to. Have you done the RWH premix that incorporates the core work throughout. I like that one a lot. Gives me a breather plus forces me to do core. When I come back from the conference I need ro remember to do this one.

Have a great night all!

Lori, yes I have done that premix. I like it and thanks for reminding me. That is with legs right? I was thinking of using the Plyo Hiit for my Hiit workout this week. I think abs is on the end of those though. I have done most of the premixes at least once.. The only one I do not think I will ever do is the double it on the Plyo Hiit 1 and 2. I think all of the work that you will be putting in while you are gone will more than make up for a workout. You will have to post some pictures of the new pup. My niece just put on facebook a whole bunch of lab pups that her dog gave birth to. There are almost 8 weeks. She had them all lined up facing the camera and facing away from the camera. I guess she already has some sold. A lot were black.

Last edited:
Good morning,

The new meds seem to be giving me relief...I figure I will take them and see what the procedure tells us. My goal is to not be on these long term...but will have to see.

Judy, that looks like a great active rest week.

Lynda, the other day when you did Ramped up Cardio & Weights, what was the make up of the cardio portion? no step right? low or high impact? I didn't see anything on a fire in Santa Cruz...mmmm...strange.

Diane Sue, it sounds like Amy Bento's step workouts are really tough....are they harder than Cathe's? Maybe our melatonin depletes as we get older?

Lori, I can certainly agree with others...when you are at that conference, you don't need to be doing a workout...it doesn't seem like there would be a moment free in the day! 15 hour days are a workout on their own. So exciting about the puppy....:). what are you naming her again?

I think some grooming of a dog today...and if I still feel ok, try to do a workout.

Take care,

Deb, once you know what I the problem is I would think that there would be some safer ways to eventually deal with it. I am glad you seem to be getting some relief. Maybe just healing and then some changes will do the trick. Yes, Amy's step is definitely harder than Cathe. I tried melatonin when going through menopause and it gave me such bad nightmares that I did not want to fall asleep. I wonder though. I don't spend much time outside due to allergies.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

We are back. weather was very nice. we had a very nice mt bike that was too hard for me the first time I tried it, but great the last several times we've ridden it. it's nicer in spring though. there are flowers and birds then. this late in the season, it's pretty dried out. the next day we did a short hike. my heart is not in it these days. it's a struggle for me to do one. I don't know what's wrong. just no enthusiasm. did another mt bike later, an easy one. two days in a row is hard on the sit bones. I wore padded shorts. I sometimes think they make it worse, makes no sense to me.
we were charging our laptop while we were driving. it slid off the bed and crashed. it's old and DH spent hours trying to upgrade the version of win 7 it has. it can't go to Win 10. I don't know the exact reason but DH was on with microsoft tech service for hours with them trying to upgrade it and it's not going to happen. the only thing we use it for is to play DVD's when traveling. it makes evenings go better when we have something to watch for an hour after dinner. Anyway, after we got home it started up again and seems to be as "OK" as it gets. we would like to avoid buying another expensive laptop just for the DVD playing ability. re watching The Good Wife.

I saw a short online thing the other day about how "pumpkin" products are almost always squash. they mentioned specifically what squash, but sounded like often a combo of butternut and Hubbard. butternut works best for roasting in chunks. I toss with a little olive oil, salt, sometimes onion. it's never stringy and holds it's shape. the bigger squash get mushy and can be a little stringy, but not a problem if you are making a pie or sauce with them. Unless I'm making a pumpkin pie, I usually skip sweetener. I'm more inclined to season with chili and cumin.

I don't remember anymore what exactly my allergy testing showed. this was a long time ago, and I don't know how testing is done these days. I showed sensitivity to things that aren't a problem... horses, cows, cats, dogs. Never noticed a thing. I've had cats and dogs my whole life. trees like birch and willow... never noticed anything. however, the grass grown on golf courses and lawns is a problem. it starts up almost immediately, and once it's going, it takes several days to settle down. No food sensitivities I know of, just things I don't like.

Lori that will be such fun getting a new puppy. good thing you don't mind 15 hr days....

Deb, good you are having luck with a different med. there are some that you can't quit abruptly, but need to taper off gradually.

Last edited:
Good Morning,
I am finally over the sinus headache and dizziness of the past two days. Fortunately they are not always that severe. My workout today was Bootcamp Circuit. Those 1 arm burpees are tough even when I follow Amanda's modifications. I'm so glad to be able to get back to my schedule. Now I need to get my daily step count up again. I have not made it to 10,000 steps for the past 7 days.

Judy, your active rest week sounds wonderful. I really like the idea of doing that.

Diane Sue, I usually get 7 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep, but my Fitbit shows that I am much more restless than I feel. I have only slept in it a few times because I find it to be uncomfortable. I wanted to see what kind of data it generated, but I don't find the data to be helpful.

Deb, I 'm so glad that the medication is working better.

Lori, it sounds like you will be getting quite a workout with your conference even if you don't do something structured.

Valerie, welcome back from your trip. I am planning to find a pumpkin pasta sauce to try--I saw one from Martha Stewart that looks good. Reading that most pumpkin products contain squash encourages me even more to do it.

Hi to Lynda, Josie, and Caitlin.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Bootcamp Blast Off (44 min.). Another one I like, although I thought there would be some core. Cathe says she is going to do 6 circuits (cardio, compound, upper, lower), but she really does 7. I don't know if she forgot or if the music confused her (she had some problems with one of the tracks), but I thought she would do core instead of a seventh circuit.

Deb, there is no step in the Ramped up Cardio, but some of it is high impact. I modify when needed. That's great that you have found a med that is working for you. Melatonin never worked for me. I tried it for jet lag and it didn't help at all. One of the pictures my son sent me of the Santa Cruz fire in the mountains looked like a mushroom cloud. Really scary.

Lori, 15 hour days should be quite enough without adding any workouts to the stress and time management. And then you come home to get a new puppy a few days later. That should keep you busy as well. But it will be fun too. Remind me of the name you chose--wasn't it a relative?

Carolyn, great that you are feeling better.

Welcome back Valerie! So the hiking isn't giving you the same high you usually get? Maybe when the foliage brightens?

Diane Sue, the Amy Bento step workouts sound very challenging. I have a friend who suffers from restless legs syndrome, and boy is that a sleep killer. She also has to get up when she's at the movies and move to where she can stand up and march in place. Ugh! I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I just bought a Shark vacuum because my old canister went on the fritz. So far, I am really really impressed at how versatile and powerful and lightweight it is.

Today I worked on Amy's Step Challenge 5 again doing the warm up and combos 1 and 2,32 minutes, 230 calories. I then did Ripped with Hiit Plyo Hit 1, 27 minutes, 182 calories. For flexibility which was on my plan for today I did Kettlebody By Brook, Yoga Burn, 27 minutes 96 calories and finished of with Suzanne Bowen Bar Amped Upper body stretch. Yoga Burn is killer on the arms and especially the triceps because there are lots of slow triceps push ups and holds at the bottom. . Total time was 98 minutes and calories burned 523. The family came for dinner and I had marinated chicken with lemon grass, ginger, and garlic overnight and roasted them on skewers, roasted veggies, and pumpkin pecan biscuits. So for lunch I had some Pacific organic chicken and lemongrass bone broth with leftover chicken chunks and the roasted veggies in it for a soup. It was really good. I am trying to cut out some of the things that I have refused to give up that are always on those allergy lists. Sour cream for one. I love Shamrock organic sour cream. I like dollops of it in my soups and chili and I like it on baked apples. I may have to give up my half in half n my coffee but I really do not want to. Yesterday I made a pumpkin latte with coconut milk and it was yummy. It also has quite a few calories. I keep adjusting it to the So Delicious coconut milk as most of the milk instead of full fat coconut milk. Also one spoon of honey instead of the 2-3 that the recipe called for. Tomatoes is one of the other items hard to get away from. I love Mexican dishes that use some tomato sauce or fresh tomatoes, my taco soup which I dice vine ripened tomatoes into. I don't know how long it will last but if I notice a difference at all it may be worth it.

Valerie, I am sorry your enthusiasm is not there right now. Maybe a break and it will return? My husband's laptop is a older windows 7 and has been through some explosions and sand storms overseas. It keeps going out on him and he keeps babying it to keep it working.. We have had it to the shop several times now and probably could have paid for another one with what we spent. I am sure that we will be getting another before long. I think the electrical is loose inside or something. Maybe Gertie got her feet caught in it too many times. She is always getting tangled in it when she lays by his chair and gets up quick. You wiggle the cord and the computer will come back on. Not good when you are typing important stuff though.
I am pretty sure that I have developed allergies to pretty much every outdoor allergen there is. My son in law had to remove their dishwasher once because it had leaked behind it and the wall was all moldy. I discovered it when I could smell it when I opened the drawers. When he cleaned that up I was coughing and nose and eyes running. It took days for him to get that fixed, put in new wall board and get it dried out. He put a fan in there and I think he blew mold spores everywhere. This is when we stayed there waiting for our house.

Carolyn, I usually get close to 10,000 steps but I do not get there all of the time. I never worry about the step count that much. I have only worn my Fit Bit to bed a few times. Usually it is just because I forgot to take it off. I cannot imagine living with it strapped to my wrist like a tracking devise 24 hours a day every day. I would think my arm would get to be a different color or have a Fit bit watch imprint on it. When I was in Sprouts there were several different pumpkin pasta sauces from different companies.

Lynda, that would be terrible to have restless legs syndrome. I only knew it bothered people at night. I remember when I was a child and lived in California and we would sit outside at night and could see the fires in the mountains. I was always a little anxious about it and relieved when they were out. I still have a battery powered Hoover Lynx that was my favorite when we had the house without much carpet. It was so light and easy to do stairs and worked well on the wood floors. The roller quit turning so it was not so good for the one carpeted room. I would just get out the heavy vacuum once in awhile to use the hoses and tools to get corners and that sort of thing. My Kirby is heavy. I get a workout carrying it up and down the stairs.

Good evening ladies,

Woke up at 3am and was wide awake. Decided just to bet up. Did some work on my ipad for a bit then figured I might as well workout. When done I figured I might as well just get ready and go to work. Was at my desk at 6:15am. I am tired! Having a glass of wine then going to bed!!

The conference is a lot of hours because I need to fit it in on top of all my other responsibilties but I do love it and do not mind. I really should just do meeting planning. I missed my calling here!

Deb so glad the meds are helping!! Yeah great news! We are naming her GiGi after Bob's grandmother. :). I can't believe we are doing this again. The puppy stage is so hard!

Valerie...it might be just a slump you are going thru with hiking. It happens to me too. We have laptop that we can not upgrade either. This is the one I use to stream my workouts. All has been fine and hoping it last. I am the same way do not want to have to buy a new one just to stream. I love everything butternut squash. Absolutely love butternut squash soup too!

Carolyn...glad you are feeling better. I have been using a 4 inch step for one arm burpees. Not as stressful on my shoulders. Funny you should mention 10,000 steps. This week I have gone over 10,000 a couple of times. Like Diane Sue I get close but very rarely over 10,000.

Lynda...I liked bootcamp blast off also. I think we are carzy to get a puppy but here we are doing it again. We are still very sad over Chester. A puppy will do us good.

Diane Sue...yes I believe the RWH is the plyo leg that has abs throughout. Really great workout. Funny about a fitbit imprint! 98 minutes!! Awesome!!!

Judy...I just renewed my SB for another year. Hard to believe I am into my 3rd year. She mentioned a few months back about producing new workouts using a rebounder and some with a step. She hasn't mentioned anything in a while. Was looking forward to seeing what it was all about.

Have a great night all!

Lori, you must have been exhausted by the time you got home. I find the one arm burpees using the step like Cathe does in Ice much better than on the floor. I tried it today with a push up stand to grab but it didn't work on RWH Plyo. I just ended up moving slower and doing some of them as regular burpees. I am always interested in new step and rebounder workouts :) I saw that Kelly Coffey starts her presale soon. I think it is this weekend or Monday??

Diane Sue and Judy...after I posted I went on FB and saw SB posted a rebounder barre workout that was featured in fitness magazine. Found that funny as I just mentioned it.

Good morning,

Well I guess there are good days, and bad nights. Not sure what happens...but around 9:00 pm or so, the heartburn started again...and no matter what I did, I could not get rid of it. I ended up on the couch downstairs, trying to sleep sitting up.

Diane Sue, wow, I never heard of melatonin giving nightmares....that would be horrible. I tried it for a short time, taking it 30 minutes or so before bed, and it didn't seem to do anything. I think getting some sunlight every day is a good idea. I know that has to be hard for you with all the allergies etc. Is sour cream the only dairy that is on the allergy list? The problem with getting a new laptop now is that they all come with Windows 10. :(.

Valerie, I wonder why you are not enthused about hiking? Yes, this med would be one of those that has to be tapered off.

Carolyn, glad your headache/dizziness is better. Do you know what causes that? If you find a good pumpkin pasta sauce let me know. :)

Lynda, yes, sometimes Cathe messes up with counting circuits, leaving some stuff out...but that is the beauty of Live workouts...they seem more natural. Your poor friend with RLS...that would be awful. Which Shark vacuum did you get?

Lori, I agree...you should have been a meeting planner! The puppy stage is pretty hard, but so worth it. :). You should be able to use your Tower on the new SB barre workout.

Not sure what is up for today....definitely a nap!

Any fun plans for the weekend?

Take care,

Deb, I am so sorry. I was hoping you were doing better. Can you see any pattern in foods and supplements medicines on the days you are feeling bad. It sometimes takes awhile for something that you eat to affect you.
Dairy is not off of all lists completely except the Paleo ones which in general only allow a tiny bit like ghee and clarified butter. There is a difference between actual allergy lists and histamine intolerance. Hay fever would leave out dairy but will allow some raw yogurt and cheese. Histamine intolerance does not allow fermented foods and this includes even sour cream. I do not use much dairy, but the sour cream and my half and half in coffee I use a lot. I was using grassfed organic kefir which I do occaisionally but. I have started Leaving that out. I have not hpmad spinach for some time now. I eat other greens. I did read a list that allowed fresh dairy straight from the cow raw, butter, and cream And non aged fresh cheese like cream cheese. This was for DAO degeneration and not necessarily good enough for mast cell activation causing histamine sensitivity. I think my brain is getting foggy with the info so I am looking at what I do eat quite a bit on these lists.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.