Lifting like girls

Good Morning! Today was back day and I decided to go lighter and longer, I started with lat pulldowns, and dropped the weight 30# from previous wos and went 4x15. I concentrated on the lats and tried to keep the arms out of it, and it really felt like the lats benefitted! Next was deadlifts, and I did 205 x 8 225 x 8 and finished with 2 triples at 255...seemed plenty today! After deads I did 6 sets of light forearm work, regular and reverse, standing with arms straight and at my sides. My last 2 sets were pulley crunches, 2 x 16. Nothing memorable, but a little different trying to work around stuff!! Have a great Tuesday all!! Roz, take care of yourself and get to feeling better!!

Good morning! Just have to say, this KB program leaves me with big time DOMS. Every inch of my back, shoulders and butt. Last night, workout A, 15 minutes of TGU. About 8 minutes of it was with 16kg. the rest was 12 kg. 15 minutes of goblet squats with one arm rows. 20kg. and 10 minutes of swings 45 seconds on, 15 seconds off. 24 kg. This morning was another EFX.
Lighter and longer is always good, Tom. But, 255 doesn't seem light to me. Just sayin'
The worst cold ever, Roz. I get the sniffles, and think I'm dying. I hate not feeling well. Healing vibes coming your way.
Justine, I didn't realize this was a six month program! Now, I'm excited to give it a go.Looks interesting, Keep up the good work.
Nice work, with the "Cathe Live," Lisa. I need to start doing more of it. I feel like I'm wasting my subscription. Hope everyone is behaving.
Lib, nice work with the jeans. I always love that feeling. STS must be working, right?

Have a great day, everyone!

Roz, sending get well soon vibes. I guess cutting calories and working out so hard doesn't help us fight illness if we come down with something, so I'm glad to hear you're going to take it easy (easier?) and eat well.

As to how I set up for landmines- I put my high step topper in a corner, upside down, and put the end of the BB into that. Works a treat.

Tom, I'm hoping that rest and patience will get that elbow sorted. Good work on the high rep stuff, I'm always full of admiration to those that can!

Karen, I can really recommend HTS. Works me in so many different ways, and it changes a lot. Plenty of novel exercises for adhd!
Mind you, I'm liking the sound of your KB doms.... But you earn them- up and at it so early. Makes me feel like a slacker.

Lib, you sound like you're doing so well. You must feel wonderful.

Mainly upper body for me today, with some (horrible) pop up push ups on a medicine ball. Bench presses and pull ups too. Finished with KB swings (120 @24kg, major cardio!) nothing of note to report.

I'm loving the idea of rose wine and canapés for the next rugby match! The boys can keep their beer and crisps. I'll wear a frock, hat and lace gloves and make squeaky noises whenever a try is scored. I have a feeling they may get their own back during Wimbledon, however.....

Great workouts, Commandos. Tom, good job getting something in, being creative. Strengthening forearms, I think, would help your condition.

Justine, I think you'd like the US Kentucky Horse Derby Race. All the ladies wear fancy hats, gloves if you like, and drink mint juleps.

Karen, you've got so many workouts I can see why you don't get around to Cathe Live much. The Lives are addicting for me...

So, obviously, today was Cardio Leg Blast w/High Step (6/5/2014). First time doing this one and it's definitely tied w/Trisets Legs Live as the toughest Live leg routine. Whoa. Fun!

Waves to Lib and Roz.

Had to finish studying for the test, so put my workout off til tonight, it wasn't as hard as I expected, which is good, but not sure how I did. Ugh....that's the part I don't like.

I rewarded myself with new workout clothes today! Then Walmart had several on clearance:) yay for me! So I bought large in shorts, expecting them to be too small, one pair fit well, the other we're almost too big!! Then I got medium in tops, and they fit pretty well! So I must be dropping weight.

Then I got home, got ready to work out, and completely creeped my youngest out, I guess the definition in my shoulders is starting to show :) (we had a talk about how not just men can be muscular, then he asked if women can have a six pack-oh boy)

Today was back and biceps, wow, I thought legs were tough! I pulled out my weider (like total body gym) and used it to do pull-ups, wish I had thOught about that weeks ago! Then did 25's for the rows! Then 15's for the bi's.....until preacher curls, but then it took all I had to do 10's. I am so spent.i might be able to walk tomorrow without whimpering.....because I may not be able to lift anything.

Roz, sorry to hear you have been sick! HUGS!

Lisa, thanks. I am ocd, so thinking I may pass on them after reading your post. What I am doing is working, so not going to worry about it.

Hi Tom and Justine

Lisa, was it you thinking about getting Cize? Well, I did full out today for the cardio, and had to force myself to get through it. I like that he teaches the moves so well, but that's the part I find boring. Lol.

I will cut my cardio down to twice a week now, because the day after legs does NOT work right now. Lol
But I will try to do the rest of the Cize dvd's. Hoping it warms up though so I can start walking again.

Oh, I am so hungry all the time! It's driving me nuts!

Lib, STS made me hungry. I always bulk when doing meso 2, so you just keep concentrating on those clothes sizes dropping.
In fact, HTS is keeping me somewhat 'solid'. Maybe it's a long lifting session thing (today took 80 minutes). I get thick through the trunk. Oh well.

Paused deadlifts today. They tire me out so much! 5x5 @ 82kg.
Landmines as well. My gardening was somewhat delicate this afternoon, no major digging!

Lisa, lib, I'm another ocd-type. Hence why I don't weigh myself, my food, or my macros. I'm probably better off without my polar. I even stopped wearing a watch 15 years ago, as I'd check the time every few moments! Just don't ask my family about me parking the car in a car park....gotta match those colours, fill in the gaps, and line it up properly :eek:

Got an A on my test! Met with my grad school dept head /advisor, we planned out the first year of classes.....made it seem real! He hinted that he thinks I will get the GA position I want. Then I met with the head of the GA's for the position I want. I think it went well. (GA-graduate assistantship)(this will pay for my masters)

Would someone do a happy dance for me? I can't raise my arms! Lmao!!

Lib, great news on your test score and the extra strong 'hint' that you'll be getting the GA position you were hoping for! Yay! I did Step Moves this morning, which is very dancey step, so I think that counts for a happy dance, yes? :) Yep, it was me who was going to get Cize--my DH wants it. Could you fast forward through the demos once you get the jist of the workout? Or are the demos part of the workout?

Justine, Karen, have you heard of/seen the US show Monk? It's about a totally OCD detective in San Francisco. It is hilarious. My DH and I have our fair share of OCD tendencies and as we watched we related just a wee bit too much to many of Monk's obsessive behaviors!!!

Justine, great workout. 80 minutes? That just sounds exhausting!

I did Step Moves today. This one is great. SUPER excited about tomorrow's Live, which is Athletic Training Live.

Great day to all of you!

Morning, commandos!
Very quick check-in for me. Still feeling under the weather, but my energy is up somewhat.
Yesterday I did Gloved Up & Ready Live and my bench deload -- I just did a set of weight work whenever Cathe did a cardio blast, as I really wasn't up to those yet.
Today was the Kickboxing Live from the 2015 RT -- super fun, classic Cathe kb + boxing choreography, nothing too complex. After I warmed up (which took a loooong time), I actually felt good doing the more blast-y moves.
Lib, I was knocking out your competitors for the assistantship!
Sooo... slow progress but a step in the right direction. :)
The mostly boxing work is great, as I can't manage much turning yet and I still don't have the energy for really serious cardio.

So I really must run, but hello and high fives to everyone!

Also, Justine, from now on, whenever you tell us you're watching some kind of sporting event live or on TV, this is what I'll imagine (if any minor inaccuracies exist, feel free to let me keep this mental picture as is):

Ha ha Roz!! love that! I finish all my lifting sessions with tea and crumpets! Glad you are on the mend! I skipped leg day yesterday...not proud, but it happens. My legs were so sore from ....wait for it...INCLINE SIT UPS!!! I did 4x25 of those bad boys with a 10# plate and abs didn't suffer, but extensors did, wow! I pretty much limited today to presses and shrugs, Wasn't feeling it, but did short sets to 115 and it felt surprisingly easy so I tried 125... NOT happening! I dropped to 105 and did 6 short sets x4x3x2x2x2x2 and dropped to 85 and did x10 x8 x8 x7. Side laterals were a no go, so I did a long set of dumbbell press 45s x 12 and finished with barbell shrugs 205 x30 x30 x25. Karen, that 255 didn't feel light to me either!!!This morning 50# lighter for shrugs didn't feel light just getting it off the ground!! Sounds like you are really enjoying the kettlebells! Lib, congrats on the A, I tried to dance fer ya, but tripped over a barbell!!(just kidding) Sounds like you gotta great shot at the GA position! Justine, I never tried paused deads, sounds brutal...where do you pause??Once I get it to move, I'm hate to stop!! Lisa, I need a course on the stuff you do, I don't know what it is. Are they Cathe DVD's?? I'm leaving that stuff to you, I would embarrass myself even trying to do it...would make good tube though! Have a great day Lifter Ladies!!

Lisa, I love Monk. Nice work, everybody. Last night was Workout B of KB Burn. I used 16kg for the clean and press. Tried 20kg, wasn't happening. 16kg for the get up sit up, and lunges, and 24kg for the swings. 40 seconds on, 20 seconds off. Swings totally winded me.
I remember "My Fair Lady." "Dover, move your bloomin' arse!!"
Have a good one, everyone!

Oh no, I can't see what Roz has posted.....but tea and crumpets, yum! With marmite, very yum!!
Lib, great grade. X
Tom, the deads are paused on the way down for 4 seconds when the bar is knee height. Brutal on the lats.
Roz, glad you're recovering. What you do as your 'under the weather' workout, would be brutal for most mortals!
Lisa, today's live workout sounded fun. I'm now going to see if I can watch monk over here.

Hiit 40:20 for me today. Felt fine. Almost easy, except for those darned lateral hops over the topper. And I've longer legs than Cathe, so I've no excuses!

Off for high tea. One lump or two vicar?

Justine and Roz, thank you both tremendously for the class, style, and substance you ladies bring to the blog. Not to diss the rest of us, but I consider myself dressed up if I'm wearing jeans instead of "active weah". ;)

Tom, heck, don't feel bad for having no idea what I'm doing. Most days, I can't make heads or tails of it either! Just assume I'm either doing some form of cardio or some form of weights. :) Don't feel bad for skipping leg day, you've had a rough time with that elbow. Was it your quads and hip flexors that were sore from your ab work? Those unexpected DOMS can be crazy sometimes! Great workout today. Hope your elbow improves.

Justine, 40/20 has major dread factor for me. It's my least favorite HiiT of all the HiiTs Cathe has ever done. I also just refuse to do lateral hops over the topper. I'm far too afraid of missing and twisting my ankle. I guess that makes me a wimp, but I'm far too prone to injury to take the chance so I just do lateral hops on the floor. It works well enough for me! Is all this increased cardio related to the other thread about cardio endurance? You're doing great!

Karen, keep plugging away at those KBs. Do you make sure there all in a perfectly straight line when you're done, like Monk would? Ummm, I may or may not make sure that my workout equipment is all in their assigned positions and perfectly aligned when I'm done each day.

Lib, hey there!

So, my baby is pretty determined to ruin at least one outfit or one pair of pajamas per day with a diaper blow out. She's a smart one, though, because she knows exactly how to get out of hot water...she started saying "mama, mama, mama" yesterday. Swoon! Consider me and my heart melted. She can now do whatever she wants and poop as much and as messy as she wants...

Sorry, mommy bragging moment. My workout today was a GS UB combo. I skipped all the band and burn stuff and got 'er all done in about 65 minutes, which now seems short compared to Justine's 85 minutes of HTS.

Good evening to all!

HTS squat day today. 4x 12. Couldn't quite make just under parallel with 67kg on all 12 reps, so lightened to 62kg and got the depth. So I now have a target! I'll try 65 next week. There was some bis and tris work too and a bit of cardio in the form of squat presses (OK, so a very small amount of cardio, but, heh)

Lisa - yes, I'm adding in more pure cardio days in response to the other thread. Also, I've no days out hiking planned, so it gives me a chance to do other longer cardio stuff. Oh, and you've influenced me rather a lot!

I'm no longer doing Nia's bodyweight stuff, as it felt too much at this stage of HTS, but I'll come back to it at some stage.

Lisa- hearing mama just pushes all the right buttons, eh?

Hope elbows are feeling ok, and flu is getting better, and college is not too stressful to Tom, Roz and lib

It's the weekend! Yay!

Traveling today, and the motel had a " fitness center" so I gave it a shot. Only had a weight stack machine, and nothing seemed doable. The bench equivalent had 2 handles, one horizontal like a barbell, the other vertical. I tried the horizontal first but couldn't do it, however the other with thumbs up was fine. It only went to 200#. and I Was able to do 200 x 8..kinda surprise but delighted. I know it's probably not exactly the same as barbell bench but was still happy to max it out. I was still limited to short iso flexes for bis, but it seems effective, so I'm good with it. Added a few ab things and called it a day! Hope all is well with all!! Have a great weekend Commando sistas!!

Started mesocycle 2 week 2 today, chest, shoulders and triceps. I had to back off the weights, felt weak? Didn't help that the dvd was freezing up too. Sounded like Cathe was saying it was normal to feel weak this week.....

Lisa, yes you can fast forward, and there's an option to just do the dance, but have to fwd through the entire demo to get to it.

Roz! Thanks!

Have to coach mediations tonight and all day tomorrow.

See y'all Sunday. Sorry to drop and run.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.