Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7-26

G0od morning,
Hot as Hades yesterday...a scorcher. The dogs would only stay out for about 10 minutes before they were barking at the door to come in. I felt the same way. We did get more done in the yard though...only 2 more rolls of sod to put down.

Valerie, Lynda, I remember Slim Fast ....believe it or not there is a woman in my old office that still uses those. She drinks one for breakfast, and one for lunch.

Lori, thanks for the sample menu from the 21 DF. Yes, if you use those containers consistently, it gives you an easy way to watch portion size and make sure you are getting a protein with every meal. I didn't realize that Tupperware made a 2 tbl container! Are the Beachbody shakes any more tasty than others? I am used to the standard GNC ones and have been using them for years.

Hi Dawn, Josie & Judy,

We are going to visit a friend of ours today, that breeds and shows Wire Fox Terriers. She is going start giving us grooming lessons...I can't wait to see what happens here. This should be fun.

Take care,

Good Morning Everyone,

It has been very hot and humid here this week, with highs in the 90's and very sunny. Yesterday we had an afternoon thunderstorm that cooled things off a bit.

Monday I did a 2 mile run, then walked a half mile to cool down. Tuesday morning I did Turbo Barre. That was really hard the day after running, my legs were fried! I had to stop several times during the workout. Tuesday night DH wanted to go to the gym, so I ended up doing a short back & tricep workout too. Yesterday I did a 1 hour Spinerval, then rode another hour watching a recap of the Tour De France. I ended up getting 30 miles in. I hadn't planned on riding 2 hours but I felt good after an hour and decided to keep going. Today is a rest day. I may do some stretching and go to the chiropractor later.

Lori-glad you are feeling better. The KCM Ab & Core DVD has 2 30 minute workouts that are compilations of the ab & core segments of her 30 Minutes to Fitness workouts. There are also several premixes on the DVD too. You can do all standing or all floor work. This is one of my favorite Core DVDs. I love planks too, now. When DH and I first started working out together he was into planks and he was always trying to get me to do them at the gym. I hated them then! My core and abs were so weak I could barely do 20 seconds. Once I started doing Cathe's core workouts regularly, I got used to planks and now I enjoy them.

Lynda & Valerie- I remember those slimfast shakes too. They had a low carb version that I liked. I never used the diet plan though, just had the drinks occasionally for the extra protein, before Muscle Milk came out.

Josie-What protein drink did your trainer recommend? I usually use one called "Muscle Provider" by Beverly. It's a powder that I mix with water. I also like the Muscle Milk RTDs.

Valerie-So sorry about your Aunt.
Great job with all the biking you've been doing. DH and I still haven't ridden outside this summer. He has a week off in August so hopefully we'll get out then.

Deb-I never learned to swim as a child either. I tried lessons about 15 years ago but didn't really do too well. My parents didn't swim and had no interest in water sports. I wish now that I would have taken lessons as a child.

Dawn-I have Supercuts but haven't done it yet. It's the only XTrain workout that I haven't tried.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Judy

Yes, it was Slimfast! this must be 40 years ago, amazing the product still exists. For me drinking something wastes calories...I guess the need to chew something undeniable for me. I read some unpleasant information about the protein sources in the powder used in shakes at Consumer reports a few years ago, and that sealed it for me. I seem to remember many were contaminated with heavy metals. I can try to find the info but I doubt I still have the article. sure it was CR but I don't pay for their online access, just the magazine. so I don't want to upset anyone, but be sure you know what's in the drink powders. I'll put in a link if I find it.

we did a hike yesterday, not a real hard one but it was pretty warm and cousin didn't want to drive far and get out of cell range. so it was short and steep to a viewpoint over the water. I'm pretty sure they will stay limited to shorter things. probably 3-4 miles RT.

Have a lunch to go to today, so maybe a workout indoors when we get back. going to be 90 again today. DH had a doctor apt this morning or we would have ridden early.

Lori somehow I got the container sizes.. not sure from where... Josie forwarded maybe? hard to see message history on things sometimes if the message has passed on a few times. at any rate, I have it and will see how my current methods compare. I do pretty well 99% of the time because I still do mostly WW things.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...eavy-metals-with-that-protein-drink/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

The reports were from 2010. it's not real easy to access CR online if you aren't a member, at least current reports. at some point they free up the info but if it's many years old, not sure how accurate it is anymore. I keep the paper copy for 2 yrs. don't have it anymore. I have no idea if companies cleaned up their products after these reports but cadmium, lead, arsenic contamination are nothing to sneeze at, especially if you drink shakes daily, or like some folks, as subs for several meals.

Last edited:
Hi everyone--

This morning I did AB (54:00).

Lori, you sound so much better. Lucky it wasn't strep. I can see why you would lose weight on that menu. Very healthy as well.

Deb, I wish I had known how to groom my miniature schnauzer when I had one. I waited too long when I took her home after my sister died and could not find a groomer for awhile. When I finally found one, she turned her into a skinned rat because her fur was so tangled. I never took her back to that groomer because I thought she was just impatient. I found someone much nicer (and less expensive) who doted on my little sweetie. Max is a furball and DH is constantly using the furminator and cutting things off of him.

Thanks for the article Valerie. I'm glad I was never tempted, but I know my sons were. They now do these smoothies with tons of veggies. I like a fruit smoothie, but I'm not drinking anything green.

Judy, I think I started doing planks when Cathe put them in the Cross Train Express and Slow and Heavy series. Never had any trouble with them, but I remember going to a Pilates class and many of the people in there could not do them for even a minute.

Hi to Dawn and Josie!

Good morning & Happy Friday!

The grooming session went well, we will go back in 2 weeks and do stage 2. There are 3 stages, and once these are completed, it should be easy (?) to keep the grooming in a maintenance type mode. Hope this works!

Judy, those are great workouts! I can imagine how your legs felt doing a barre workout after the running. I think you have made me want that KCM Core DVD. :). I am glad there is another one of us here that doesn't swim. Now I don't feel so bad. :).

Valerie, thanks for the link on the protein powders...I will read it when I am done posting. I use GNC brand...I hope they are not part of this!

Lynda, with 2 wire coated terriers, grooming is very time consuming and expensive. We have always had them stripped instead of a clipper cut and it is a lot of work. Since I am retired, I thought if I knew how to do some maintenance stripping, we could extend the time between regular grooming. We'll see if I have the patience to do this. We use a Furminator as well. I can see how that would work well with a coat like Max's.

Lori, hope you are feeling better.

Hi to Dawn, & Josie,

Housemax and agility class tonight,

What's everyone doing this weekend?

Take care,

Hi everyone--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio Quick Fix (44:39), followed by Housemax. I like to get my cleaning done some I'm not rushed on Saturday morning before going to Jacob's Pillow.

Off to Jacob's Pillow to see Daniel Ulbricht and his troupe from NYC Ballet. They were wonderful last year. They are doing several short pieces, all to live piano music by some great composers--Chopin, Schubert, etc. I may also go to see the new Sherlock Holmes film with Ian McKellen playing the aged detective on his last case. I love McKellen.

Deb, I have seen how beautiful wire fox terriers look in dog shows and wondered how hard it was to get them to looks so crisp and angled--especially around the mouth and those gorgeous feathered legs.

Have a great weekend everyone!

I've never had a furry dog( had a Doberman) so had no idea what a furminator was.. so I googled it. wow! Amazing... looks like half a dog gets raked out!. Looks extremely effective. our kitty is short hair and doesn't shed much so he won't need a kitty furminator, but I know it exists. I watched a utube video.

Did a 32 mile trail ride this morning. we are back in the heat for 3 days now and another one or two to go. 90 degrees. the humidity is only 20% though so tolerable but I still don't like it. mountains are very hot, not hiking when it's like this.

Deb, I got the idea protein powder in general was a problem for heavy metal contamination. potentially an issue if you use a lot of the product. If CR ever does a followup I'll post it, but the data is from at least 5 years ago. so maybe companies cleaned up their act, or maybe it didn't get much attention.
speaking of 'green" drinks... I find it totally unappetizing. what movie was that with rene russo and pierce brosnan??? ( I remember...thomas crown affair)where she was drinking a glass of what looked like pond scum. I used to drink fruit smoothies sometimes but found I was hungry in an hour. better off just eating something solid. and green really turns me off.
Lori hope you're recovering quickly. summer colds are so nasty.

A couple of oldie workouts yesterday and today. Yesterday was Pure Strength Back, Biceps and Abs. Today was Step Fit. That one has the macarena cooldown.

Valerie - That's so funny about your aunt's Slimshake modification. I remember waaay back that my mom at one time was on something similar called Metrecal. So I guess these "diet" drinks have been around for a long time.

Lynda - good work on All Out Low Impact Hiit! Super Cuts Extreme adds on the first half of the workout again at the end.

Lori - glad to hear that you're feeling better! I got another minute further with Tabatacise this week before I had to take a break. With that workout, a minute is huge! I'm going to keep attacking Tabatacise once a week until I ... well, I'm not sure where I want to get to.

Deb - I have a short haired cat and use a Furminator on her. I figure that everything I Furminate is something I don't have to vacuum.

Hi to Josie and Judy!

Good morning,

It should be cooler today, maybe get some yard work done later.

Lynda, the Jacob's Pillow show today sounds lovely.

Valerie, I'm with you and Lynda, I don't think I could get a "green" smoothie down. I also do not like fruit ones, I feel like it's a lot of calories and no substance. I would want to eat right afterwards too.

Lori, let us know how you are doing.

Dawn, LOL about the Furminator....you are right....all of that hair would be on the floor or somewhere to pick up so doing it that way saves time and your back!

Hi to Judy, & Josie,

Agility class this morning....

Take care,

Good morning all!

Feeling like myself again. Been so tired after work pretty much been coming home, taking care of the dogs, then pretty much going to bed. Probably will do Barre today or a Cathe Live leg work but nothing high impact.

Judy...thanks for the info on KCM. I may have to try this one out. Turbo Barre fries my legs. One tough workout.

Deb...found the containers on amazon. I did a search for 2tbls containers and they popped up. 4 in a set and I love them. I need a furminator!! Going to look it up right now.

Lynda...I never liked slimfast. Not sure how anyone could drink them! Lol on the green shakes. I love them and prefer very little fruit in them. Enjoy the show tonight.

Valerie...I remember that movie and wondered what the recipe was. :). Great ride 32 miles! Today is the start of the Pan Mass Challenge. It is a 192 mile ride in 2 days to benefit Dana Farber. Many years ago when I did ride I did this 8 years in a row. Every year I think about riding it again more so now with Madeline being diagnosed with cancer.

Dawn...awesome with Tabatacise! You got this and will be blasting through it in no time. I remember really liking Step Fit. I am like Lynda with step. I used to love step back in the day now not so much. Once in a blue moon will I do an entire workout of a choreographed step routine.

Hi to Josie! Thanks for the link to the 21 day challenge.

Have a great day all!

OMG Metrecal! haven't thought of that one in decades... I think it came in a can, "ready to drink", so to speak. same era as Slimfast. Not for me. Now they push Ensure, mainly toward older people, as if that is better than real food.

If I had to do step, I would never work out. I bought a Kathy smith video once and tried it. I can't do step. I can't dance either, not even simple things. my brain can see what's needed but it's impossible for my legs to connect to it. I need to skip any step in Cathe's routines, or else just step on and off a platform. when they start turning around and alternating feet ...well, it's all over. it irritates me and frustrates me. I KNOW it doesn't look that hard but it's impossible for me. I can't deal with other people dancing because it's so annoying and a reminder of how impossible it is for me to do even the simplest patterns.

I am just loving the flak that has descended on the head of the lion killing dentist. what a jerk. I have a friend who lives in the same general area, and she said there's another person with the same name has gotten caught up in all the backlash. wow. I hope this guy really has to pay for this and that just maybe it will discourage other big game hunters from killing. I have a cousin who was a dentist and went to Africa to kill a leopard. I never spoke to him again. what is it with dentists? our own dentist is a big time hunter although he sticks to this country. it is beyond my thinking to understand how anyone finds killing enjoyable.

Hi Ladies,

It is the start of my birthday month and I plan on celebrating the whole month ;).
Today I will be going to the gym and doing Zumba and Bodypump.

Valerie, one of my friends used to call slimfast slimslow. Because she used to get hungry after drinking it :). My dad carries Ensure for my mom whenever they go somewhere. She is a diabetic.

Lori, glad that you are feeling better. Today is day six of the challenge and the only day that I had a headache was on day 3. It was the sugar and carb withdrawals, but my trainer had warned me about it. I feel great today :)

Hi to Deb, Dawn, Garance and Judy!

Josie

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Muscle Endurance and a segment of Stretch Max. Today I went for a short walk. DH is in home improvement mode again this weekend. We are replacing the doors and shelves in 2 of our closets, decluttering our spare bedroom/office, and looking at replacing the Pergo flooring with something called Pergo XP. So far we've been to Home Depot twice today, also Menards and Lowes. I'm looking forward to Monday...

Dawn-I use the furminator on one of our cats. He is more a medium haired cat and he sheds a lot.

Deb-I'm with you and Valerie and Lynda, I'm not a fan of green drinks. I also think the fruit smoothies are a little too much sugar and too high calorie. Many years ago I liked to get fresh carrot juice from juice bar.

Valerie- I totally agree with you about the dentist. It's terrible what he did, and I am just blown away by the fact that he paid $50,000 to do it. He would have to be making quite a lot of money in the dental business to be able to afford to throw that kind of money away.

Lori-Glad you are feeling better. You should try the KCM Core & Ab dvd, I think you would like it.

Josie-celebrating the whole month for your birthday sounds like a great idea! I think I will do that in December! :)

Hi to Lynda!

Judy

I took a video of Chino playing with his toy pretzel yesterday. I'm sorry about the quality, it's not very good. I need more practice with recording videos on my iPhone.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.