Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 7-26

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning all,

Just getting us started for the week.

Valerie, good you got some rain. Be careful with those push ups! Isn't that what injured your shoulder?

Judy, good job on the run.

Some gardening today, and a graduation party later, not much else going on.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Take care,

This morning I did RK with 1 lb. gloves (55:15).

Jacob's Pillow was wonderful yesterday. Daniil Simkin has been compared to Baryshnikov and I definitely can see why. Absolutely breathtaking athleticism and his form is as close to perfection as I can imagine. The choreography was varied and beautiful and the other dancers from ABT were superb. Daniil Simkin has several youtube vignettes, so if you are interested, you can watch him. He has a funny one--"Simkin in the City"--where he is in a princely white ballet outfit (as in Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty), dancing around NYC. New Yorkers are typically nonplused by aberrant behavior. On the subway they just stare at him while he pirouettes in the aisle. Enjoyed my younger son's new woman friend. Not sure how serious they are, but we enjoyed meeting her and had a great dinner out last night. Lori, he's 31. My older son is 33 and recently divorced (I didn't talk about it here, but it was quite painful.). No grandchildren, thank heavens! He has a new woman friend and we will meet her in late August.

Sounds like we are in for a very warm week, but I don't mind. I can wear all of my sundresses.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Good morning... raining again today. I looked at the garden yesterday and it's pathetic. the "rain" we got didn't even dampen the surface enough to pull out weeds. surface is like concrete. and after today it's supposed to warm up and dry out. Never thought I'd want significant rain so much.

Deb my best guess was push ups but I'm starting to wonder because doing some yesterday didn't seem to activate the area. maybe it was cross body extensions? I'll never know for sure. I feel pretty decent today, very minor DOMS. might notice it more tomorrow. but even with all the firewalkers my legs are fine this time. always weird when you get sore and can't pinpoint the cause. easier to figure out if there is a clear cause and effect.

Lynda, how fortunate you son and his wife were able to separate cleanly. I wish people wouldn't rush into starting families. makes it so much more complicated if the relationship doesn't work out.

Off to do some grocery shopping. Looks like a busy week ahead so I'd rather get it done now. Hiking tomorrow.

ETA ...did you read about the guy who completed 50 (Ironman) triathalons in 50 days?? ( not consecutive days is my understanding).... must allow for travel time. amazing. WOW.
we got more rain today and it actually got the ground wet. far from out of the drought but glad we got it.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

We had a great visit with DH's cousin. We went out to dinner last night and then spent the evening sitting outside on the deck. Today we went out for breakfast, then went walking downtown Plymouth and did some site seeing. The weather was very good all weekend.

I took a rest day yesterday. Today I did KCM Abs & Core, Kelly's Favorite Mix. It's a 30 minute combination of standing and floor work.

Deb-hope you had fun at the graduation party

Lynda-I'm sorry about your son's divorce, that is difficult to go through.

Valerie- I hadn't heard about someone doing 50 Ironman triathlons, I'll have to look that up and read about it. That is amazing!

Hi to Lori, Josie & Dawn!

Judy

Good morning and Happy Monday!

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Lynda, that ballet sounds lovely. Sorry about your son's break up...I do remember you going somewhere out west for a wedding or maybe overseas? Not sure why I think that.

Valerie, I hope the rain you got yesterday helped some. Did not read about the guy and the triathalons...it sounds amazing.

Judy, nice workout! I like Kelly's standing ab/core work.

Hi to Josie, Lori & Dawn,

Take care,

Hi Ladies,

I did body pump on Saturday rested on Sunday and today I will be spinning. Had a nice quiet weekend, I was not able to make it to the KC and the Sunshine band :(

Deb, I'm starting a 21 day challenge today. My trainer Karina suggested this one before I start the 21 day fix. I want to clean my system so that I can loose the last 10lbs that won't budge.

Garance, the ballet sounds amazing. Sorry about your sons divorce, as you know my DS has gone through that.

Valerie,glad that you got some rain. I wish that we could get some to.

Lori, are you still on the 21 day fix?

Hi Judy and Dawn!

Josie

Hi everyone--

This morning I did both low impact hiit workouts (50:08).

Judy, it sounds like you had a lovely weekend with your DH's cousin. We enjoyed our visitor as well and did have very good weather.

I went to see the Amy Winehouse documentary yesterday. So sad! It took awhile to get used to the British accents which were definitely not posh, instead very working class, even somewhat Cockney. She had so many issues, but it was probably the bulimia with alcohol abuse that finally did her in. She did manage to overcome the drugs once her leech of a boyfriend/husband was incarcerated. Sounded a bit like the Whitney Houston/ Bobby Brown fiasco of a couple.

I'm really not sorry about the divorce. She was very difficult to please, as were her countless Chinese relatives. She had to have this wedding extravaganza that I now see was an exercise in vanity. My son is much happier now

Josie, good luck on the 21 day challenge!

Valerie, glad you finally had some rain for those parched gardens.

Hi to Deb and Dawn!

I read a short article about this while he was in process but he finished. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/07/news/50-iron-distance-triathlons-50-states-50-days_119645 I want to read more about how he accomplished this. hard to believe this was even possible. just the logistics of getting from place to place, getting any sleep, eat, it sounds impossible. a full triathalon every day?.

I used to think I'd try a "tri" event with lesser distance like a tin man but I'm not a swimmer. that is the deal breaker. I ride, I used to run more, but swimming has always been hard. I can stay afloat and swim some in a pool, just not distance in open water. so I gave up the idea.

we actually got significant rain yesterday. had planned on hiking this morning but still raining lightly and soggy out so longer lasting than forecast. . I'm not complaining, we needed this badly. and for whatever reason, I could not sleep last night and am so tired I am hoping to take a nap later.

watching a series called Rectify. started out really slowly ... it's interesting, not sure I like it. about a guy released from prison after serving 20 years for a killing that he did or didn't do. they keep you wondering what is true but a strange bunch of characters most of whom are not very likable.

Lori, I'm finally taking a look at the 21 day fix plan. I could not get the pages to rotate until today. DH knew how to do it. did you buy a set of those containers? do you have any idea of how many ounces the different color each holds?
I am still following WW so this is the way I eat routinely. whole lot of vegies. My metabolism is very resistant to losing even eating like this. I have lost a little but not enough. I keep shaving off calories here and there.

Last edited:
Good morning!

It going to be a hot one today...maybe up to 90!

Josie, I am sure Lori will give you a good idea of how the 21 Day works....the containers are pre-measured, so you really do not have to buy the colored ones they offer. Any set of measuring cups will work. The ones I really liked to use especially when I was taking a lunch to work were the little orange ones. Those are great for measuring salad dressing, and anything with a small amount like that. I am not sure what they were...maybe 2 tbls?

Lynda, glad your son is happier and has found a new woman friend.

Valerie, the swim part would be a deal breaker for me too...since I can't swim at all! You and your DH are pretty impressive without the swimming piece. :).

Hi to Judy, Dawn & Lori,

A workout, ( not sure what yet) then Pedi with my SIL this morning....then home to the AC'd house...it will be a scorcher out there!

Take care,

Good morning all. we ended up doing a mt bike yesterday. about 90 minutes. we haven't mt biked in a while so it was a good workout. today we'll road bike. tomorrow taking cousin and wife on a hike at their level, which is not strenuous but will still be 5-6 miles. we're trying to slowly get them comfortable in the mountains so they can do hikes themselves.

Deb, we didn't get thru high school without learning to swim.... I can swim Ok under the right conditions, meaning a pool without a lot of splashing around me. no matter what, my legs are big and muscular and sink very low in the water. I can do it, but swimming is a struggle. haven't had reasonable pool access since my 20's. DH is not much o0f a swimmer either and the climate here is not conducive.

got some bad news yesterday about DH's aunt. she's been in a memory care facility. she fell out of bed somehow and broke 5 ribs. seems "falling out of bed" is a common event for people in their 90's. she has many other problems and will be in a nursing home for rehab and care. sorry to hear this and it does not bode well for her. we used to spend quite a bit of time with her until she was moved to another city for care.

that's what I was thinking about the containers. I assume they are 1 Tb to 1 cup quantities?. I keep cutting out small things. I gave up avocados although I love them. I always need extra bran in my cereal and found some fiber capsules that work for me and are fewer calories.
Lori, what is the deal with shakology shakes? I try not to drink my calories. chewing makes me feel like I ate, while juices and shakes don't seem to satisfy anything for me. but you were so successful.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did ch, sh, tris with abs 1 (47:58).

Deb, growing up in the land of 10,000 lakes there was no way NOT learning how to swim. It was my major summer pastime and I am a pretty strong swimmer and very buoyant. Never much cared for swimming pools because of the chlorine. My problem is the ocean. I wish I knew how to bodysurf like DH. The waves just knock me over, but I love going out past the place where they break and doing some serious bobbing as the waves roll in. DH always went out with me because I am so nearsighted I could never find my way back to where we had our umbrella and chairs. Loved snorkeling because they actually have masks with eyesight correction. So cool!

Valerie, too bad about your aunt. It sounded like she was doing so well. Is this the same cousin and wife that wanted to go on vacation with you? I think shakeology shakes are a Beach Body product they are pushing and quite expensive. Maybe Lori knows a substitute.

I'm off with a friend to see TRAINWRECK this afternoon. It's going to be hot here and Tuesday is the 5 dollar matinee day.

ttfn

Hi Ladies,

I went spinning this morning and will be working out with Karina at 10:30 AM.
Karina recommended a protein powder that I take after my workout. I will e-mail you ladies a picture of it.

I'm a very good swimmer and I have done a triathlon. It was a long time ago and don't plan on doing another :). I don't like swimming in the ocean, but don't mind snorkeling.

Valerie an Deb, I have the information that Lori sent us and the measurements for the containers. I got the containers at the 99 cent store and plan to use them when I finish the 21 day challenge.

Valerie, sorry to hear about your aunt.

Hi to Judy, Lori, Lynda and Dawn!

Josie

Done with our ride, about 32.5 miles. not record time but fast enough. had a headwind on the way back. amazing how much that slows you down. wow Josie, a triathalon? I am in awe! I'm not buoyant..... no matter how much I kick, my legs angle downward. I'm always envious of people whose feet stay near the surface.
I like snorkeling. I tried the next step up, called SNUBA? something like that. could not get my ears to equalize so could not go deeper than 10 feet, but still, lots of fun. even though I can swim, I'm not comfortable in the ocean. the water is very cold here, and generally people need wet suits regardless of season.

Aunt betty is about 92-93,almost blind and very hard of hearing. a bit of dementia. the problem with broken ribs is they make breathing more difficult and many people develop pneumonia. still, feel bad for her. we'll get more info later today.
Lynda, aunt betty's son and his wife are the ones we are hiking with tomorrow. My DH and her son grew up together. aunt betty and my late MIL were half sisters. the ones who want to travel with us are DH's sister and her husband.... not going to happen!! some things are too awful to consider. we get along fine, but their idea of vacation and ours... NOT the same thing.

this program is I think Beachbody. I don't want "shakes". it's a waste of calories for me. Josie, I didn't see quantities listed with the containers anywhere.. maybe I missed it.

Hi all...I have had a nasty sore throat that started Saturday evening. Went to drs today and thankfully not strep. Didn't want you all to think I left ya!! Lol!! I will read posts tomorrow when feeling better. I did notice about the containers Valerie and you really do not need them at all. Most at work just used measuring cups. And you do not need to use the shakes. Some did some did not.

Green - veggies - 1 cup
Purple - fruit - 1 cup
Red - protein - 3/4 cup
Yellow - starches and carbs - 1/2 cup
Blue - cheese, nuts, avocados, coconut -1/3 cup
Orange - dressings, seeds - 2 tablespoons

I moved my rest day to today since I needed it. It's been hot and humid, and even though I've mainly been inside, I can feel I need to take it a little easier. Yesterday was Super Cuts Extreme premix, tomorrow is Tabatacise, so this is a nice break.

Lynda - I'm sorry to hear about your son's difficult divorce. It's nice that he's found a new friend! My parents make my sister and I take swimming lessons every summer because we took vacations on a lake. It paid off because my sister fell out once during a boat ride and was able to tread water until my dad could pull her back in. I haven't done it in years, but it sure was a tough workout the last time I did!

Valerie - Sorry to hear about your DH's aunt. I hope you get some good news today.

Lori - Take care of yourself and feel better!

Hi to Deb, Josie and Judy!

Good morning & Happy Hump Day!

Whew it was Hot! Hot! Hot! yesterday. Could not stay out for much more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time in the yard. I actually wet down the dogs when they were out there with me. It's supposed to be even hotter today.

Valerie, sorry to hear about your DH's aunt. That's great that you and DH are taking the time to get your cousins out there and hiking. Do they do it at other times without you? Yes, the containers are just different measurements, and different colors. I think the orange one ( smallest) may be 2 tablespoons. I didn't get the Shakeology stuff when I was doing it...too expensive.

Lynda, how was the movie? That was the one that was showing when the most recent crazy person shot up the theater wasn't it? I remember when we used to go to the movies just to get into a place with air conditioning.

Josie, what is the 21 Day Challenge? A workout challenge?

Lori, hope you feel better today.

Dawn, that was pretty scary about your sister and yes, a good thing your parents made you take swimming lessons. Neither of my parents could swim, either. I never even saw my Dad go anywhere near water, my Mom liked to lie on the beach and get suntanned, she would wade in the water.

Maybe some yard work this morning while it's a little cool, Agility class tonight,

Take care,

Both my parents could swim. my mother grew up on a lake. Wisconsin has a lot of lakes and it was considered basic water safety that everyone know how to swim. I don't think you would have avoided it in H.S. I went to an absolutely ancient school but it had a pool, and I don't remember anyone avoiding it. I used to go to a public pool in summer several times a week. I can swim, just never good for distance. I have read that swimming isn't very effective for weight loss, because the water temperature keeps you from heating up and thereby reduces calorie burn and increases appetite. whatever..
Lori Hope you are feeling better. so funny. I got some documents from you a but the container size wasn't in there. and then I could not get the document to rotate, it was turned 45 degrees. finally found out how to do it.
I have never quite gotten comfortable with the idea of protein powder. some of the sources are contaminated with heavy metals and seem like a ridiculous expense when it's so easy to get adequate protein. plus, like I mentioned, I don't find "drinking" my calories helps me. it's like water, and doesn't feel like I ate anything. just as a humorous memory, long ago my mother and her sisters were on some kind of "Slimshake" kind of diet. One aunt who was very rotund, casually remarked that "Slimshake was Ok... but so much better with a little dab of ice cream in it". tee hee wonder why that diet didn't work.
Deb, we've encouraged them to hike, taken them many times, bought them hiking related gifts, but they don't get motivated to do it themselves. we've pretty much given up on the idea they will ever do "real" hikes with us. or "real" rides. If you don't do "something" several days a week, you don't get fit and it stays difficult. his wife is the one who doesn't know how to ride a bike, even after a class. they talk a good show, but don't do anything about it.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did All Out Low Impact Hiit with core 1 (49:22).

Deb, I found the film oddly inauthentic. It was hyped as sexy, feminist, transgressive, and funny, but I just couldn't fathom a character like Amy. I'm pretty liberal anyway, but I didn't find her humor all that outrageous or unexpected, and I thought the "normal" people were made out to be exaggeratedly boring to make her scorn for them more appealing. She just seemed promiscuous without really enjoying sex anyway. There were definitely some funny moments, and Lebron James was surprisingly comedic, but overall, not that credible. Yes, this was the film being shown at the LA shooting, and since the shooter was definitely anti-feminist (among a myriad of other hatreds apparently), maybe he chose this film on purpose and killed women.

Dawn, that sounds like two tough workouts in a row. I have never done Supercuts Extreme. Are there additional "extreme" moves, or does she double some of the harder moves.

Lori, hope you are feeling back to your energetic self soon!

Valerie, adding ice cream to those shakes does defeat their purpose! I wonder if those shakes are still around. I remember when they regularly had celebrities touting their weight loss on 2 shakes and 1 meal per day.

Josie, I'm not surprised at all that you did a triathlon because I think of you as super-fit. No protein shakes for me. I'd probably gag trying to get one down.

Good evening ladies!

Feeling better today and I actually did a workout tonight which was Live Compound Giant Sets. I really like this one. You use 8lbs throughout. You do six or seven compound exercises which makes one set. Then you repeat for a total of 4 sets. Ends with some standing abs and plank work.

Valerie...I'll resend you the 21d info. Perhaps some of the files did not make it. I loved doing it and pretty much changed my eating habits based on it. When I was following it my food for the day was for example....shake in the morning with unsweetened almond/coconut milk. AM break was a boiled egg and a cup of fruit (usually blueberries). Lunch was spinach (I always did more than a cup...it's only spinach!) with chicken or steak, with shredded carrots, chopped tomatoes and cukes, then some dressing. PM snack was carrots and hummus. Then came home and had dinner which was usually sautéed veggies with protien and 1/2 cup of starch...sweet potatoes or brown rice were usually my choice. I felt like I was eating a ton of food yet I still lost weight. I am sorry to hear about your DH's Aunt. Very sad. I plan to read that article tonight. I need to see how the heck one does 50 triathlons in that short of time!

Lynda...Jacob's Pillow sounded really beautiful. That is something I would have enjoyed. Amy Winehouse was such a mess. So very sad she couldn't be helped. Yes Shakeology is Beachbody. Unbelievabley expensive. They are $128 for a 30 day supply. One of the girls at work is a huge shopper on ebay and has been finding them here and there for under $90 so we have been splitting the cost. I only have them during the week so they seem to last a while. I keep saying I am going to stop buying them but the the other day she got 2 for $90. So of course I said yes. Sounds like your son is better off and has moved on. Hoping with whomever he ends up with you have a great relationship with her. My DH loves to bodysurf!

Deb..I love my little 2tbls containers too! So much so I purchased little tupperware 2tbls containers on Amazon so I would have plenty. I grew up with beaches all around so everyone learned how to swim at a young age. When I was a teenager I always thought it odd when I met someone that couldn't swim. Never would dawn on me if they did not grow up around water then it was easy never to learn.

Josie...yes what is the 21 Day Challenge? The creater of the 21d fix just came out with a cookbook with 100 or so of her own recipes. I have been eyeing and may purchase. I'll share recipies with the group should I get it.

Dawn...Great workouts! Anything with extreme in it that is by Cathe I am sure is killer. Hope you enjoyed Tabatacise. Can't wait to see how far you got as I know you've been doing more and more. When I would remember to put my heart rate monitor on this workout had my heart crazy high at times. One of my favorites from Xtrain.

Judy...is the KCM ab and core 30 minutes? As I have mentioned before I never really enjoyed core work but I will admit I have been pretty consistant with them and do not seem to mind as much. I actually like planks. Can't believe I just typed that!

Have a great night all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.