Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 3/1/15

Deb, not sure if I ever answered about the bird calls. I use the Sibley one. If you look for david allen sibley, there are several versions of his guide .. there are cheaper ones that don't have "all" the birds, just the most common ones. Mine has all of them & was about $20 and works well. on a phone or tablet you can play bird sounds and calls. It's not ethical to use it to attract birds but if you've heard a song and want to ID it, it helps a lot compared to "word descriptions" of sounds. I use it instead of hauling a book. the book is easier and more accurate if you don't know what you're looking at, but the phone app is always with you and a book is not. I find uses for both. I go thru phases where I use it a lot and other times not as much. this trip we especially wanted to see condors but most other trips we go for some other reason and check out the birds as a side interest.

Good morning,

It's March, and I hope we start to see some spring like weather. It's 15 degrees here now...double digits!
banana016.gif

We didn't end up going to the steak place, I had a bad headache and didn't want to go for that nice of a dinner feeling like I did, so we will go another day. We ended up getting soup and sandwiches at the coffee house around the corner a little later on.

Valerie, a "passive day sounds like a good idea. That app sounds great. Not sure why you can't use it to attract birds? My grandmother used to do the bird calls herself...I thought it was to attract them..or maybe she did it once she saw them....is that ok to do? I hope I can stay busy enough not to feel that part of my life as missing, but I completely understand that concept.

Hope to get a workout in then we plan on going to a obedience match today,

Will drop back later,

Stay warm!

Last edited:
Good morning ladies...

Yesterday I did the live bootcamp with step and loved it. The step was used for blasts in the circuits and they were not insane blasts. Just enough to really get your heart pumping. By the end I felt worked but not exhausted. Today will be kickboxing/heavy bag workout.

Judy...I printed out Suzanne Bowen's spring challange also and plan to start also. I like that they are all about 30 mins which I can either do in the morning or at lunch. I did one of her challenges last year and liked it.

Deb...your retired you need to sleep in!!!!! Have fun at the match.

Valerie...feel free to talk about the warm weather. I like hearing about the nice weather. Makes me have hope that it will eventually come this way!!!!

My DH is going for a MRI on his ankle this morning. His ankle thatbhe broke over two years ago is still giving him problems. Poor guy is on his feet most of the day and constantly in pain. Hoping this shows what is going on and a plan will be made to fix this. We are leaving shorty then plan to have breakfsat somewhere.

Lynda...more snow tonight!!!! Only a few inches but it is still more snow!!

Hi to Josie!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74:00). I think I forgot how rigorous this one is. I feel thoroughly worked out, especially in my hips.

The wine tasting with small plates was fun and delicious. We are going to the comfort Sunday meal tonight as well. The theme is Indian, and the only Indian restaurant in our town is really kind of heartburn hell, so we are hoping for something better from our favorite restaurant.

It's snowing very lightly here, but maybe a couple inches over night.

Lori, I thought he had surgery not long ago. Was that for his ankle or his foot? That must be awful if he is in pain all the time.

Deb, I agree with Lori--get some zzzz now that you don't have to get up so early. Ready for the DA finale tonight? I am also recording The Good Wife, which is finally back for 7 more episodes.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

deb, there's a birding code of ethics. http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html you are supposed to 'limit" use of sound recordings to attract birds. birding has gotten very popular (and competitive) and it leads to people being over zealous and hurting what they're trying to look at. we just had an instance of that here. someone spotted a pair of unusual owls. in a few hours ( due to social media) dozens of people were there milling around disturbing them, getting too close. if they are flushed out during daylight, they are at risk as they are nocturnal. anything that interrupts a birds normal behavior could be detrimental so I'm very very restrained in using recorded calls. I use it to ID a song I've heard, rather than call birds in closer. If you aren't disturbing them or putting them at risk, it's fine. the only call I can do (personally) is a grouse. we are always alone in the woods doing that. you can almost have a conversation with curious male grouse in spring. can get them to walk right up to you!

went on a hike this morning but it got aborted because DH got another migraine. we don't know what is going on lately. he is pretty upset about the way the last month has gone.

I'm getting sick of reporting on the state of my shoulder.... it feels better again but still nowhere near doing an actual workout . Lori, hope the MRI shows something useful for your DH. nothing worse than discomfort... and not really knowing what's going on.

I always enjoy Indian & Thai food but strictly in restaurants. I think I've complained before, I can't get the smell out of my kitchen and detect it for many days after I've cooked it. curry especially. just stays and stays.

Good morning!
I still woke up at 2:45, then was able to sleep until 4:30. No workout, planning on doing one once John leaves for work.

The match was fun yesterday, Keegan got is lazy attitude on, and decided he didn't want to do much in the ring. He is too funny, and unpredictable, that's for sure. Kylee as "so so". She would have qualified if we were in a real trial, but not with a great score.

Lori, that challenge sounds like fun. Of course you would use those as "2nd" workouts each day, I still don't know how you do it! Sorry about your DH and the pain. I remember him breaking an ankle, or foot not too long ago.

Lynda, wow, 74 minutes of barre work...good job! sounds like torture to me! I am looking forward to watching DA and The Good Wife later on today. I hope The Good Wife stays on again...all these breaks are annoying.

Valerie, sorry your shoulder is not healing as fast as you would like....maybe 100% rest for a couple of weeks after another shot? I guess I can understand the premise behind not getting all kinds of people around the birds like your owl example. I think though, that if you are alone in a place with no traffic, or people, and use a bird call, it should be ok. Like your example of "talking" back and forth with the bird, that is what my grandmother used to do. I love Indian food, and don't mind the odor left when you cook it, I just don't think any of our homemade can match the restaurant quality, so I prefer going out for it. Same with Thai.

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

Get a workout done, then my cousin and I are going for facials and lunch. :)

Take care,

Deb, so many people go out in groups to bird these days, or post it on social media and then it can all go nuts pretty quickly. but if you're alone or quiet and careful about it, you can use the calls. in areas that are heavily worked by groups I would not use calls. we were in a park last winter and I was sure I heard quail. used a recording and got an "answer" quickly. but I left it at that and didn't crash thru the shrubbery and torment the birds to get a picture. we get a frenzy on years when we get a snowy owl irruption. people just go bat-sh*t crazy chasing them and trying to get close pics. has a lot to do with common sense and as we know, it's not always common. we always "talk' to grouse. they are so funny in the heat of the breeding season, not too careful. DH is even better at grouse hoots than I am so between us we can get some very close looks. I carry binoculars most of the time and that allows you to ID from a reasonable distance. in our yard, the hummers are very used to us and approach very close. I've had them land on the feeder while I was still holding it. also had some hit the windows and get stunned, so I picked them up and placed them in a safe spot until they revived. a little bundle of energy and it feels like nothing in your hand.

Must feel good to know you can do a workout when you want and even take a nap if needed

I did 30 fast minutes on the treadmill, and a core workout later yesterday. our hike probably amounted to a mile total so barely counts. he is thinking his BP meds may have deteriorated although they are very much in date, but generics. that would account for this sudden increase in headaches.

I agree ...74 min of barre would leave me in a whining blob on the floor.

This morning I did both of the low impact Hiit workouts together (50:08).

Turbo Barre isn't all leg work. She has a nice upper body workout with 5 lb. weights after the warm up and an excellent core workout at the end.

The Indian meal was excellent last night. Lovely chutneys to go with each course, and of course their breads. DH had the dessert which I don't think I would care to have anyway--little fried dough balls in a sugary syrup, and some kind of frozen pistachio concoction. I just don't know if Indian cuisine is all that strong on desserts anyway (?).

Deb, just think--next week when we set our clocks forward you won't have to think about the effect of losing that hour on the work week. I guess Keegan is his own dog, so to speak. I guess they break up the GW season in half because of all the special holiday shows and other things. I will watch it tonight. DA was a double episode last night. Very good.

Valerie, when I was having shoulder trouble, I had a cortisone shot, then a couple weeks of PT for a "frozen shoulder" that I didn't actually have, then an MRI showing tendonitis, and then a second cortisone shot that did the trick. So maybe you just need a second cortisone shot (?). The PT was pretty useless in my case. If anything, it seemed to exacerbate the pain. I'm trying to imagine what a grouse sounds like, since when someone is "grousing" about something it usually means they are complaining or indignant about something. I am reading a really interesting memoir now titled H Is for Hawk, by a woman training a goshawk for hunting. Like Wild, she turns to a difficult task as a way of working through grief for a dead parent.

ttfn

back from a 25 mile trail ride. it was lovely out but we had a headwind each way. one of those weird mysteries of the universe... riding into the wind no matter which way you point. sunny and a bit cold but lovely.

Lynda I am thinking strongly about a second shot. I had gotten to "no discomfort", PT exercises without pain and then I got the bright idea to paddle that stupid kayak and it gradually got more and more sore all over again. not instantly but a little more sore each day. I would kick myself if it helped, although maybe it would have happened anyway. I agreed to try a different nsaid and PT for 2 weeks but if it is still bothersome at the end of this week I will make an appt for next week. the area of discomfort is much less this time but it's still definitely there. Man, I am getting tired of this!! and you all must be getting tired of me complaining. I can't get an mri because of my pacer. other imaging is not as good, but that may be on the list too. all I had so far was a xray.

Our grouse make a sort of booming "whoomp whoomp whoomp" sound as they strut and puff out their cheek patch. It's not hard to imitate... I have minimal skills there and can't whistle to save my life. they keep changing the names so it's either a blue, dusky, or spruce grouse. I don't know the connection to the verb "grousing" we have a lot of them in the mountains. they have a patch on their cheek that puffs out and looks like a fried egg.

here you go.. more pics of a blue grouse than you ever want to see. ignore the hunting related ones. I have no clue why anyone would shoot a bird like this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=blu...&ei=YNL0VPjVC-PAmAWeo4K4BA&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ

Last edited:
Good evening ladies...

This morning I started Suzanne Bowen's Spring challenge. No workout tonight since Monday's are usually my rest day. I really wanted to start the challenge though.

Deb...yup I plan on these to be my morning workouts! Not sure what I'll do in the evenings and plan to play by ear. Whatever I am in the mood for! You and Lynda are correct...same ankle he broke and recently had surgery on. He has a followup with his surgeon for the results of the MRI on Friday so we will see what the heck is still going on.

Judy...did you start the challenge? Hoping it helps your hip. Mine has been feeling pretty good so keeping my fingers crossed.

Valerie...great ride. Headwinds are tough and yes very odd to have both ways. That is even harder! Thanks for the link. Had no idea what they looked like. Never understood hunting for sport.

Lynda...we got about 4 more inches last night. Not to bad at all. Turbo barre is really tough. Been a while since I did this one. Great job!!!

Hi to Josie!

Good morning,

Taking Keegan to the vet this morning, then hopefully trying to get a workout in. Class ended pretty late last night, and I read for a while.

I hope it gets to the temp that the weather gurus predict. It's 6 degrees here now, supposed to get up to 34!
bliss.gif

Valerie, how will your DH know if it is the BP meds that are causing the headaches? Thanks for the link, those birds are beautiful. I have never seen one outside etc.

Lynda, I agree about the Indian food desserts. Lots of honey used. I do however like a good rice pudding! YUM!

Lori, I guess after what you have been through, 4 inches of snow is nothing. Tell that to people in Atlanta, or DC....they would be paralyzed!

Watched DA yesterday, I liked it except I wish they would have wrapped up all the story line. I guess they want to leave you with something to look forward to for next season.

Edited to add: this morning I did HIIT Back, Shoulders & biceps, 2 sets, no finishers premix.

Hi to Josie & Judy,

Stay warm!

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

The race on Sunday was fun and we had at least 30 people that showed up to honor our friend. Bootcamp was cancelled yesterday due to bad weather and today I'm just working out with Karina.

My DD moved out on Saturday, so it's just the two of us now. We have never been on our own. When we got married my son was 10 and the we had our DD. it's going to be different now ;)

Lori, sorry to hear about your DH's foot. Hope that they find something to relieve his pain.

Valerie, the same to you and Judy.

Hi to Garance!

Josie

This morning I did ba, rear delts, and bis (52:28).

Lori, it sounds like we are going to get one of those ugly mixed precipitation things tonight into tomorrow. They are talking temps in the 40s! Should be really messy by this time tomorrow. You know, Turbo Barre I did weekly when the LIS series first came out, and my impression then was that it was reasonable compared to Tracy Mallett's Booty Barre. That was a real killer for me. On the other hand, Turbo Barre is definitely harder than SB's workouts on the legs. SB's core workouts though are tougher IMO than Cathe in TB. That's really too bad about your DH's ankle. Was the operation meant to rectify some problem---and didn't?

Deb, every series now must have a cliffhanger unless it's the series finale I guess. I'm sure this will also be true of the GW. Nice, huh, that you can come home from class and do a little reading before ZZZZ?

Josie, I'm sure you will miss your DD, but it sounds like you are enjoying your training with your now-retired DH.

Valerie, thanks for the link. Beautiful!

Hi to Judy!

Good evening ladies!

This morning was SB core and stretch. Then this afternoon was leslie sanson with the ladies...then if that wasn't enough I wanted to get some weights in so I did RWH Upper Body Circuit premix with no blasts. Nice little gem in my book.

Not sure if I mentioned but the ladies want to work out again. They all laugh with my routines and do not understand how I really do enjoy working out. They laugh but they always come to me for advice and little lunch workouts. :). So starting this week 2x a week we will workout. One day is walking the other is barre as they all want to lift their butts as they all say.

Lynda...turbo barre is tough! I remember almost crying the last time I did this one!!!! A lot harder than SB's dvd's that I have purchased anyways. SB's streaming has some workouts comparable to Cathe's though which I like. Some easy some hard. I think I have Booty Barre and I like Tracy. His surgery was in June and there was a possibility it would not correct the problem. We hoped it would but nope. :(. I feel so bad for him. My DH is 6'1" and can stand to lose easily 40 lbs. which I am sure does not help his ankle. But the poor guy whenever he tries to stick with a workout he gives up because of the constant pain which I do not blame him. I love him just the way he is but he is just so unhappy with his ankle and the extra weight. Hoping this MRI will help his doctor come up with something to help him. NOT looking forward to this weather.

Josie...so nice that your friends showed for support. Very nice. When my DS moved out it was so strange at first. I now kind of like that it is just me and DH!!!! I kind of feel guilty saying this. I love when he visits but I love it being just the 2 of us too!!

Deb...hope Keegan is ok? Is this just a routine visit? I have not watched DA yet but hoping too tonight. I am on my ipad right now but after I finish typing I'll go on my laptop and post a cute picture of chester I took on saturday. He was on top of the highest snow mound going out to the yard just chilling on the snow while enjoying the sun!

Judy...I am doing barre with the ladies at lunch tomorrow and very thankful tomorrow's rotation is just 15 minutes of abs!

Valerie....update on Cable...so far so good with just local channels. We have not missed the premium channels at all. At one point we though about getting the extended basic but we figured we'd try jut the basic for a while thne make a decision. And we have decided we do not need it. Between the local channels, Netflix and Amazon Prime we have plenty to watch. We are very happy with our decision!

Have a good night all!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I started Suzanne Bowen's Spring challenge. I think this is going to work out very well for me. I am really starting to like barre workouts and today she did an upper body stretching routine that was wonderful. My neck is always tight and those stretches really helped.
I also did a little over an hour of easy indoor cycling. I was able to increase my intensity for short periods so I could get my heart rate up, but had to keep it low intensity most of the time to keep from aggravating my hip. I've been doing the piriformis stretches and I think it might be helping a little.

Deb-I hope Keegan is ok. Great job with the RWH workouts!

Lori & Lynda - I agree, Turbo Barre is tough! I really like the shorter Bowen segments so far. I'm sure she has some longer, tougher workouts too.
Lori-I'm sorry about your DH's ankle. I hope it gets better soon.

Valerie-I hope your shoulder gets better soon. I'm pretty sure I will be getting a cortisone shot, but if the doctor suggests PT I will probably turn it down. The last time I tried PT it ended up being a disappointing experience and I'd rather not do it again. I agree about the Grouse, I don't know why anyone would want to shoot a bird like that :(

Josie-Great job with the race and your workouts!

For some reason I didn't get any thread updates today. ??? I was busy this morning and didn't look until tonight.

we didn't do any workouts today but wrestled with the shower door. returned the first doors, picked up the replacement ones and installed parts of the frame. there is a big difference between ceramic and procelain tile and you can't drill thru porcelain ones without a diamond drill bit. another trip to the hardware store! we have some scratches on the overhead frame and they are sending us a new one so we will leave it as is for a few days. it was quite a load returning the doors and bringing in the new ones. the boxes are so heavy and it's up and down 2 flights of stairs. I've got a system so my right shoulder doesn't get overly stressed. I can't tell you how much I want to be back to normal! hope to ride again tomorrow but not early as it will be clear and too cold.

PT today. got u/s, massage, some exercise, and ice. I'm going to call the orthopod tomorrow and make an appt for next week so if this continues to muddle along, I can get in next week, and not need to wait another week. I can cancel if a miracle happens and I'm normal. .

listening to a great horned owl hoot outside my window. was very vocal last night. they really like a full moon and we are clear and cold tonight so he is calling..... such a lovely sound. we have a lot of GH owls and barred owls but they make different sounds.

a grouse is about the size of a big chicken. they are called "fool hens" because they are not very wary and are easy to approach. so easy to buy a stupid raised-for-dinner chicken, I don't understand why anyone would want to shoot one of these. so beautiful.

deb I also ask if this is routine visit for keegan or if there is an issue?
too funny... Josie I wonder if your definition of "bad weather" would fly east of the rockies right now??
Judy, PT has a lot to do with the person giving it. maybe you got someone who was not very well trained or who you didn't connect well with.... You should maybe look around to see if another clinic would be worth a try? I probably wasted the usefulness of the cortisone shot by not following up well enough and then doing the kayak business. it's worth it to treat an injury more carefully than I just did. so here I am leading by BAD example!

Lori hope the mri gives some useful info. you're right, that much extra weight certainly doesn't help, but it would be hard to trim that down with an ankle hurting all the time. maybe a bike?
Lynda, that is always our worst weather.. the rain on top of frozen stuff. awful awful to deal with. we have been so lucky here this year.

Happy Hump Day!

We sure were a chatty bunch yesterday!

I woke up at 3:45....got up and did a treadmill workout. I thought, At least I can take a nap later, but I have a car appointment at 3:15, ( what was I thinking?)...I should change it to a morning like Friday.

Josie, great race! Bad weather? what type of weather makes people cancel?

Lynda, I know you were good with barre workouts, even the P-57 ones. Was that the first one we had? I may have sold it on Ebay. After this rotation I am doing, I should at least try Cathe's barre workout, even a short premix. I actually did the workout after I got back from the vet, something that would normally be unheard of!

Lori, sorry about your DH's ankle, hope they find out what is wrong and what to do to give him some relief. That is so great that you can work out on your lunch break and that you are a role model for the other ladies at work! Are they older, younger? Keegan is ok, routine visit, except for the nasty sore he has on his neck/face. Not sure where it came from, and he kept scratching it so it would not heal. They cut the hair around it, gave me antibiotics and some topical stuff to use. Didn't see the pic of Chester..

Judy, barre workout and bike? that is pretty intense, your legs must be tired! Great job. I'm with you on PT. I went for 2 months for my back and sometimes I would think it made it worse! The insurance company would not even consider surgery until I did 2 months of PT.

Valerie, good luck with the door...hope this is the last of the issues...you are sure getting your workouts with all the trials with it! I agree, not sure why anyone would want to shoot something so beautiful. Never having tasted it, but how much different could it be from chicken? Like quail and partridge? Never had those either.

Have a great day, it has warmed up a bit here....33 degrees, but lots of ice in the streets...not sure what is worse, more snow or warmer temps and ice!

take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.