Pentagenarians & Beyond W/B 3/1/15

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did Bootcamp Boogie (63:00).

Deb, I think P 57 might have been my first barre workout too, and I sold them because I couldn't stand Tanya. I have several that I did a lot--Rockin' Models, Squeeze, Booty Barre, and Cardio Barre. I think there are some shorter premixes on TB, and you could always just stop before the core workout at the end or skip the weight workout at the beginning--or both. I won't even look at that link for KCM.

Lori, if your DH lost some weight, I'm sure that would help with the pain because 40 extra pounds puts a lot of pressure on joints. As you have probably read over and over again, exercise can only do so much in terms of losing weight. 90% of losing weight is the food you consume. That's great that you have supportive people at work to exercise with you on your lunch break. Most of the time on the Open Forum there are long threads complaining about people at work not understanding how working out and eating clean is not a fetish but a life plan for staying healthy.

Valerie, I hope your door troubles will soon be over. DH would prefer not hearing any owls when he has chickens. He is in constant war with hawks when he lets them out of the brooder. His first batch of chicks will be arriving the end of this month. Hard to believe with all the snow still on the ground. Some of it is melting today, and DH always talks about "sublimation" helping as well. I think he is an amateur meteorologist--like most farmers I guess.

Judy, Bowen's dvd workouts are all pretty long if you do all of the segments. Alas--I always curtail the stretch at the end, which would probably be good for me.

Hi to Josie where it's warm!

Here is the picture of Chester I mentioned above. Took this on Saturday. He was just relaxing on top of his mountain!

Attachments

• Chester Snow.jpg
    Chester Snow.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 12
Good evening ladies!

This morning I did SB's abs and at lunch we did about 35 minutes of Barre. Was a lot of fun with the ladies. Some of them immediatley took some advil after!!! Lol!!

The ladies are all younger then me. Some by 15 years. What is funny is they all used to think I was obsessed with working out. But now that they are getting older they now want to know how they can lift their butts!!!! It is very funny. One went as far as saying I should get certified in barre. That was a great compliment coming from some one in their late 30's!

Deb...I loved that picture of chester. After you mentioned the newspaper I went on line and sent it to my morning news channel. Will be funny if they show it! Very odd about that sore. He may have been scratching something that irritated his skin and then just kept scratching. Eventually I am thinking you won't be working out so early!

Lynda...I have previewed some of the P57 workouts and they do not appeal to me at all. I can see why you sold them. I agree if he could lose the extra weight he would feel so much better. He is very depressed about it. I try and encourage when I can and drop hints here and there. He was doing well working out recently but then he stopped again.

We received our first cable bill and it is a credit of $7.10!!!!!!!! Nice!!!!!!

Oh that is a great shot of chester on his mountain! what a sweetheart!
as a "professional dieter" I agree with Lynda.... you cannot out-exercise a bad diet. the average adult can't at least... maybe your average teenager can do it but we're all long past that. you can undo multiple hours of exercise in 10 minutes of indulgence. and consider genetics... some individuals are simply programmed to retain weight more easily. a handy trait to have when food is scarce in a famine, but not so great when food is so ridiculously abundant. it's hard enough to work out but add to that a major body part hurting. in theory at least... I know people lose on WW without exercising but I am not one of them. most men lose weight easier than most women though, because they have the gift of more muscle mass and bigger physical size so portions are not quite as ridiculous for them. so I agree it might help for him to lose some weight but he should get the problem area defined medically and maybe it can be fixed, and that would make exercise easier and more likely. he will probably need to arrive at this point himself though. oh yes, a bill of -$ 7.10 is a good direction to be heading.

we did a 2 hr mountain bike today, our usual tree farm ride. we are looking at some of the trails that go to the same destination that are a little harder than the roads we use much of the way. each time it's a little easier to get up the hills.

Deb, DH takes 2 bp meds, one is a beta blocker. when he takes it his heart rate stays quite low even when exercising and lately it's been running higher. I'm not sure why but beta blockers help in migraine prevention so he takes his meds faithfully. the lower rate plus the sudden increase in headaches made him wonder if his meds had deteriorated? they are generics and the dating is good but it's a possibility since nothing else has changed. he dropped all caffeine now, which is hard to do. I hope he is able to ease back up to a cup a day but we'll see if he gets a drop off in headaches. we also had chicken fried rice the night before for dinner and I worry about soy sauce. I don't use any in the dish but he adds some to his serving, while I sprinkle on hot red pepper flakes. so we'll see.

Good morning,

Got up at 4:00 and decided I might as well get the workout out of the way. Feels good to be done with it and have the whole day free.

Lynda, not a bit interested in KCM's new workouts huh? LOL. I am intrigued by the pyramid one...but like everyone else, have so many DVD's and so many I don't use often enough.

Lori, it was smart that they took Advil after the barre work...let's see how many of them have a hard time walking today. :). Isn't is a nice feeling not to be "owned" by the cable company? I hope the put Chester in the paper, or even on their website. That would be cool. I put in the $14.99 antenna, and I don't think I have watched TV on that television 3 times since.

Valerie, "as a professional dieter"...had to LOL at that. I feel like one too. I hope the elimination of caffeine and other things helps your DH with his headaches. Didn't soy sauce have MSG in it at one time? If not, still eliminating it would be a good idea. He needs to do the NG diet! Just kidding. Their theory of eliminating all things that could cause inflammation, then adding them back one at a time to see what, if anything causes it, is a good one I think.

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

John is off today and we may go over to Penzey's our favorite spice store, just to look around. We have a whole cabinet of their spice's, not like we need more of anything, but it is a fun place to go.

Take care,

This morning I did Super Cuts (45:55).

Lori, Chester looks so stately on his snow throne. Very different from his clownish self! Maybe your DH should ask to see a professional dietitian. One of my former colleagues who could not control his weight (a single guy who always ate out or with students in the college cafeterias) and was getting some serious health issues as a result, went to a dietitian recommended by his doctor and learned how to cook for himself and to make healthy choices when eating out. He lost a lot of weight and felt a lot better. I think he was pretty sedentary as well. One of my favorite barre workouts was Rockin' Models. I might pull that one out again. The music on it is really good, and the models......well, they are gorgeous. The instructor is Grace Lazenby. I'm not sure how it is chaptered. I just did the whole long thing.

Deb, I get the Penzey's catalogue but have never been in one of their stores. Love ordering things like saffron and exotic masalas and rubs from them.

Valerie, one of my sisters had migraines, and I just remember how miserable she felt when it happened. Hope you can somehow find a way to fend them off for your DH.

ttfn

there are common things known to be migraine triggers for a lot of people. you can certainly get some odd ball things too, but the things they go at first are BP control, regular exercise, sleeping regular hours, reducing or quitting caffeine, not using artificial sweetener, regular meals. DH can get headaches if he gets hungry, and obviously caffeine. curiously, caffeine is often used to stop migraines so it can be a double edged sword. glutamates like in MSG can be a trigger. there are foods other than soy sauce that are high.... smelly aged cheese is one , but even good parmesan is high. so they try to get the main lifestyle issues under control and then sometimes a keep a food log to see what are other triggers. also things like blinking lights. my sister also has migraines and has trouble with flickering light.

another 2 hour mt bike session today. another nice day. kind of cold to start but then warmed up.

I would LOVE to visit Penzeys!.

I think a dietitian is a great idea, but the "attitude" has to be good. the person really needs to want change or it's a waste of time and money. my brother has T2 diabetes. visiting a dietitian just made him angry and more determined to do everything the opposite. not everyone is bull headed like he is though.

Deb, he would never ever do an elimination diet. he doesn't eat a lot of "junk" but he does need his cookies, corn chips and ice cream regularly. most of his diet is good, he eats what I do but adds in the stuff my metabolism won't handle... like the above.

called about the cortisone shot and "no" until 3 months after the first one. so another month. I remember him mentioning a 3 month spacing or the tendon can get softened. I hope I'm better by then and don't need it. I go back and forth with some days better, and others not.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

I only worked out with Karina today. I

was supposed to run with my friend this morning, but went to bed very late and did not get up in time. Tomorrow is boot camp.

Deb, bad weather means rain for us ;). If the class is cancelled on Monday he moves it to the next day. How does your first week or retirement feel?

Valerie, your shoulder does not bother you when you cycle?

Lori, Chester looks so cute, you can tell that he is a character :)

Hi Judy and Garance!

Josie

Good evening ladies!

Today I did 35 minutes of Barre at lunch. I was by myself as all the "younger" ladies were too sore!!!! Lol!! Then tonight I did RWH lower body circuit premix with no blasts. I loved this one! As Deb said a little while back about one of these premixes short but gets the job done!

I would love to get my DH to go to a nutrionalist but he would never do it. Hoping once he gets his ankle fixed he will not be so depressed and then start to work on his diet.

Deb...I looked at the KCM link but knew I would not buy. With Suzanne Bowen and Cathe Live I really have had no desire to buy any more workouts. With Live I am getting a new workout every week and love them. I have about 30 minutes of the DA to finish watching. I keep falling asleep!

Lynda...Chester is such a good boy! You remember my stories then because it was not always the case. He really has quite the personality like no other dog that I have owned. I'll look up that Barre with model's dvd. Very intrigued!

Valerie...I have never had a migraine and I am so thankfull. There are 2 people at work that constantly have them. I always know when I walk by their office and they are working with the lights out. We had one VP that used to keep a pillow and blanket and would close his door and literally crawl under his desk to rest.

Josie...how are you feeling better I hope? Good that you are continuing with Karina. With all the snow we have I am hoping the rain stays away for a while. When all this snow starts to melt it is going to be terrible!

Judy...today at lunch I did Lower Body Barre 2 and boy it really got me good! Going to mark this one as a favorite!

Have a great night all!

Good morning & Happy Friday!

It's -1 here right now, going up to 23. When will it end? We went to Penzey's yesterday, lots of things to look at and sniff. :). Each type of spice has a large round covered jar next to it that contains the spice so you can smell it. Also, they have recipes that are posted that you can rip off and take with you. Very interesting store.

Lynda, Grace Lazenby is the workout voice/leader on my iTrain treadmill workouts, she is great, but can be a little goofy on them.. I still like her a lot. She looks like she has done barre work for years, I think she may have been a dancer at one time?

Valerie, hope your DH finds the "trigger" and is able to keep the headaches from starting. Isn't what he is doing a sort of elimination process? He certainly does enough exercise so that is not the issue.

Josie, good job on the workouts. First week of retirement feels like I am on vacation. I'm sure that goes away eventually right?

Lori, I knew those Lunch workout ladies would be really sore after doing barre for the first time! Wasn't your DH considering Nutrisystem?

Hi to Judy,

Does anyone want the workout sheets for the weight workouts from the Cathe HIIT series? I put them all together in one spreadsheet, and would e-mail it to anyone that wants it. Just let me know.

Planning on a workout, some errands, then meeting my friend for lunch,

Take care,

Good morning & Happy Friday!

It's -1 here right now, going up to 23. When will it end? We went to Penzey's yesterday, lots of things to look at and sniff. :). Each type of spice has a large round covered jar next to it that contains the spice so you can smell it. Also, they have recipes that are posted that you can rip off and take with you. Very interesting store.

Lynda, Grace Lazenby is the workout voice/leader on my iTrain treadmill workouts, she is great, but can be a little goofy on them.. I still like her a lot. She looks like she has done barre work for years, I think she may have been a dancer at one time?

Valerie, hope your DH finds the "trigger" and is able to keep the headaches from starting. Isn't what he is doing a sort of elimination process? He certainly does enough exercise so that is not the issue.

Josie, good job on the workouts. First week of retirement feels like I am on vacation. I'm sure that goes away eventually right?

Lori, I knew those Lunch workout ladies would be really sore after doing barre for the first time! Wasn't your DH considering Nutrisystem?

Hi to Judy,

Does anyone want the workout sheets for the weight workouts from the Cathe HIIT series? I put them all together in one spreadsheet, and would e-mail it to anyone that wants it. Just let me know.

Planning on a workout, some errands, then meeting my friend for lunch,

Take care,

I would love the workout sheets!!! Thanks for putting together!

Lori it's hard for men. they all think they can eat whatever they want, as much as they want, and as often as they like. I learned at about 10 years old that I was going to need to control my wants. so many men can eat "everything" until maybe late 20's and by then attitudes and habits are hard to break. one step at a time. a painful ankle may be a big distraction.

Josie I have no discomfort when riding. good thing... it's a specific movement, I call it the "windex move" . moving my arm toward the center line while applying pressure is what hurts most. sometimes the whole area aches but it does seem to be getting better overall. at first a lot more moves bothered it.

Now DH is getting concerned about soy in all forms. argh. We use snack bars ... Luna bars.. and now he's worried that an ingredient is soy. I think we'd tried every one on the market. some are truly AWFUL. the "protein" ones are bad. he wants chocolate but not a candy bar. he didn't like any home made ones. for rides and hikes we need something portable, individually wrapped that holds up to travel and heat. a lot of chocolate things don't hold up. I liked Kind bars but he didn't, and we hated Lara bars. tasted raw, like they forgot to bake them.

Last edited:

This morning I did All Out Low Impact Hiit with core 1 from XTrain (49:33).

Deb, I have no idea if Grace Lazenby was a dancer, but she does indeed have a dancer's body. Penzey's sounds great. I love their catalogue because they also have recipes in there. I think I have saved a couple of the catalogues just for the recipes. Deb, I don't know if spring will ever get here. At least the sun is out.

Lori--it's very true that when you first start doing barre you can really feel it. Maybe because these are not exactly functional fitness moves. No one really needs to do second position squats (heels together, up on your toes) in everyday life, or leg lifts while leaning on a chair.

I think I will try to see a film this weekend--Two Days, One Night with Marion Cotillard is playing at our local art house cinema.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, and don't forget to set your clock ahead tomorrow night!

Good evening ladies!

Today ended up being a rest day. Glad because my legs needed it!

Lynda...I will look up that movie as I have not heard anything about it. Looking forward to your review. Yes you are correct with Barre...when I did Cathe's Turbo Barre for the first time I could not move without pain for several days after! Sun felt great!

Valerie...I laughed at "professional dieter" too!! Very funny. When you find a good bar please let us know. i have yet to find one.

Deb...yes I did try and get my DH to try nutrisystem out of desperation. Figured if I could get him on this he would have his meals all set and ready to go and help teach him portion size. But we decided against it because we thought there were better ways. He really needs to see a nutrionalist. Penzey's sounds really nice!

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good morning & Happy Weekend!

A rest day for me today, I actually did the 6 workouts on the RWH rotation this week. Surprised myself.

Valerie, good that you can still do some type of exercise without hurting your shoulder. I have stayed away from soy anything for a while now. I know that they use it in Chinese food, and we don't have that too frequently, but otherwise, I put down anything I am purchasing if it has soy in it. I just looked up those KIND bars to see what they were all about. I wanted something to keep in my purse for those times when you are out and tempted to stop at a drugstore for a candy bar. Something about the ingredients made me back out of their site, can't remember what it was now. They have chocolate ones too. What didn't your DH like about them? I didn't like Lara bars either.

Lynda, enjoy the film...and thanks for the clock change reminder. I so wish they would stop this. Dr. Mercola had a whole article on how bad this is for people's sleep patterns. I thought the whole thing was to give farmers more daylight. Does your DH think it's useful?

Lori, I know exactly where you are with your DH and nutrition. John talks about losing weight all the time, then 2 minutes later he is eating a bowl of tortilla chips! Men! :)

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

We have a memorial service today, one of John's employees' father passed away this week.

Take care,

Ha ha tortilla chips are one of the basic 4 food groups here, for DH anyway. I buy the 'healthiest" ones I can find. he eats 99% of each bag.

We did a 26 mile ride yesterday... thank heavens I can ride... and split a Luna bar. the balance between something edible but not addictive is important to me. we need to take snack food along that is wrapped and doesn't disintegrate if it's warm out and isn't eaten immediately. I carry 4 bars. sometimes we'll both eat one. sometimes he'll eat two. Hunger is a migraine trigger for him, and he wants something NOW when that happens. I bring home made things sometimes, but they don't hold up in a bike pack. Luna ( not the protein ones) are the only ones I've found he 'll eat and travel well. they are edible but not so good that I can't leave them alone. the Kind bars I tried were almost all nuts. I thought they were very good and not too sweet. DH was so-so about them. I'll take a look at their site... I think minor amounts of soy in a bar eaten occasionally is not an important compared to a tablespoon or two of soy sauce.

I love Asian flavors like toasted sesame, rice wine vinegar, soy, ginger. so I use soy (usually Tamari) but not in large amounts. DH tends to dump a lot of soy sauce on the finished dish besides. I think that's more likely to bother him than tofu or bits of soy protein in a bar.

Lori I never could see how Nutrisystem could work long term. if you lose weight but go back to your old eating habits at the end of it, you are right back in the problem again. In that way WW is good and it doesn't cost that much since you buy and make your food. they did have point values for loads of restaurants but I don't eat out much.

I had issues with positions in barre workouts. I can't stand on my toes like that....never could... and the outward hip rotations are impossible. I 'm not connected that way. after 10+ years sitting cross legged in yoga is still just OK. the only really good benefit of losing my job was I didn't have to wear heels anymore. always a struggle for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.