Bleck! Please help...

Calee

Cathlete
I can't remember if I have asked for help here yet or not. I am 8 weeks preg. and so sick all of the time! I've been doing Cathe for years, but that has come to a screeching halt as of late. I'm terrified that I'm going to balloon up because I can't exercise without wanting to throw up.
Also a weird thing is that the only time I feel any relief is when I'm eating. Is that normal? I feel like I'm gaining weight too fast. You shouldn't gain much in the first trimester, right? Thanks so much for any replies,
Calee

Also a weird thing is that the only time I feel any relief is when I'm eating. Is that normal? I feel like I'm gaining weight too fast. You shouldn't gain much in the first trimester, right?
Calee

I did exactly that with both my pregnancies and gained a lot in the first trimester both times. I was also older when I got pregnant and thought that would be an extra strike against losing the weight. I gained 40 with my first (I was 37) and 50 with my second (I was 40) and at 4'9" and since I'd never hit 100 lbs before in my life that was scary.

But, with the first I was completely back to my regular size in less than 9 months. My second was longer because he and I couldn't get into any kind of rhythm where I could exercise regularly until he was 3. But, once I could I lost the last 10 lbs that were hanging around.

I was able to continue to exercise with my first, but not the second as I never managed to get enough energy to do it and I'm sure that's why I added that extra 10 lbs.

Bottom line is that even if that happens, you can get the weight back off. I wish I'd have believed that when I was in the midst of it, because it would have been a big emotional relief for me. I'd been working out regularly for years before I got pregnant and having it all come to a halt was really rough on me. 20-20 hindsight would have told me I could relax about it.

Hi There! I'm 26 weeks preg with my first. I too was so worried about the weight gain! I fortunately did not have any sickness the first trimester. I was not able to excerise much due to tiredness. I'd work all day and then just couldn't get the energy to workout. What I did do to make up with the lack of excerise, is i made sure I ate really healthy!

Now, I am able to excerise...ya! THough, its with lots of moderations. And even now, I'm not workingout as much as I used too. I'm only working out about 3 times a week. I do only what my body tells me.

Listen to your body! Your body is working extra hard developing that little one :)

Do you have heartburn? During many of my pg's I ate short frequent "meals" full of carbs just to help with heartburn. It WILL get better, 2nd trimester will be much better (heartburn heightens again late 3rd trimester too). As far as weight gain goes, try to pick healthy foods to snack on. Although carbs sound better, small amounts of protein may keep you full longer & help with heartburn. Do you like peanut butter? How about almonds?

I have typically gained 10lbs in first trimester, and have lost all my baby weight after all my babes.

Congrats on your pg! Hope you feel better real soon!

It's been about 7 years since I was pregnant, but I remember very clearly your problem. I am a morning exerciser and usually exercise on a completely empty stomach. When I was pregnant, I had to have a glass of non-fat milk first. That was enough for me. In general, throughout the day, I had to have something in my stomach -- not much. I think if you just eat less at a time, but eat way more often, you will not balloon up. Just make sure you have something in your stomach. I remember sometimes having to get up in the middle of the night for a glass of non-fat milk. That usually did the trick for me. Good luck!

Oh, and if you can't handle Cathe, at least take a walk or something -- that'll keep you active without making you feel like you need to barf -- hopefully!

-Beth

Oh thank you guys so much for the encouragement! Just knowing that so many of you cute ladies have been exactly in my shoes is comforting.
To Mel- yes, carbs seem to be more palatable for me right now but I will try and add in some protein w/PB. Any kind of meat is not at all appealing at the moment. Thanks for the good suggestion.
To Rainbow- I was so glad to hear that you've experienced the same anxieties about weight gain but were able to get back to your regular self after. Diet and exercise has always played an important part in my life and now that I'm not so in control of those things it's very unnerving, so thank you.

Hi,
I am now 10 weeks with our third, and I too have been soooo exhausted and also quite sick....not barfing or anything, just a feeling of gut rot all day. It seems to be getting better, but I have the same fears as you....I can't squeeze into my jeans anymore, and am just down to sweat pants. I looked at my maternity clothes today and they look huge and out of style. Looking forward to a little shopping!

I have kept up with working out about twice a week, and basically just running. I've tried a couple of weight workouts, but felt exhausted instead of invigorated after. Prior to pregnancy I was working out 6 days a week, alternating weights with cardio. I am enjoying my runs, just finding a time, usually on a weekend where I have a bit of energy, and I just take it slow and easy....it's weird to shift the focus from burning calories and really pushing my body to just enjoying the half hour of running and listening to some good tunes. I am hoping in the next couple of weeks to try to add in a weight workout, but we'll see. I bounced back pretty well after the first two, but I'm older now!

As for the eating, I am in exactly the same boat! If I snack when the sick feeling starts it helps alot. I haven't weighed in yet, am trying not to panic! Right now I love Triscuit crackers for carbs....they're pretty low in fat, I think sodium is not to bad, and it's better than potato chips!!

Anyway, I'm not a regular here, but I find it helps so much just hearing that there are others out there who are feeling the same as I am helps so much!

hang in there!

Shelley

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I ate SO horribly during my first trimester. I ate homemade special k bars, bagels, ice cream, chocolate chips, etc almost daily. I also remember coming here for support since I felt so horrible about it! My doctor told me to just eat what I could. I was sick but never threw up. As a result, I gained about 10lbs by 15 weeks. However, once I started feeling better, I was able to workout more and eat far healthier. I ended up gaining 18lbs.

Eat what you can manage to keep down, and try not to worry about not exercising now---I bet you'll be back to it when you feel better.

lisa

Wow, it sounds like my situation has been felt by quit a few of us around here... As of right now, I've tried a few of the posted suggestions and have been able to take the edge off. I still nearly have a freak-out when I step on the scale because I've already gained six or seven pounds and I'm only 8 weeks in, but I'm really trying to focus on eating healthier snacks instead of whatever I find in the treat drawer.
You ladies are wonderful and I so appreciate all of the support around here, thank you so much!
Calee

Hi Calee,
Try to keep in mind that your body is going to gain what it needs to and when it needs to, and there is very little that you can do about it. I know that sounds bleak, but try to look at it as a sort of reliever and not to beat yourself up about things. All you can do is NOT stuff fast food, etc... into your face every day, and you'll be doing a great job! :)

I gained 10 lbs in my first trimester. Like you, by week 8 I had at least 7 of those on already. It's just how my body responded. Overall, I only gained 25 lbs. Staying fit through your pregnancy - whenever you can get it in - will help you tremendously afterwards with getting back your old shape.

I worked out 4 days/week, mostly with low impact Cathe, lighter weights and some kickboxing until the very end. I went back to working out a week after I had Mason, and by the 3 week mark, I was back in my pre-preg clothes. At 6 weeks I was all the way back to my pre-preg weight (might have been sooner, but I don't own a scale, so all I had was the doc's office to go off of).

Basically, I'm trying to tell you that you'll be fine. Please try not to compare yourself to others - every single pregnancy for every woman is different. Your body will do what it needs to do to sustain a healthy little one for you. Eat sensibly and workout when you can. Don't fret about the lbs. How much and when you gain your weight will change throughout your entire term. (And by the way, I don't know ANYONE who actually gained the *average* 2-4 lbs in their first trimester. So it makes you wonder exactly where that *average* comes from...)

Calee, I see myself in your post! This must be your first pregnancy. Don't worry about the weight gain so much. You're going to gain weight, so just accept that and try to make healthy choices.

I was terrified of getting huge, and did gain a ton of weight, but lost it pretty quickly after my son was born. Still, I fretted about every pound and burst into tears at the doctor's office when I hit 150!

With my daughter, I was so much more relaxed about it. I didn't worry about weight, exercised when I could (following doctor's guidelines), and got back into great shape after I had her (at 39).

I know you feel nauseated right now, but that should pass. Try to relax and not worry about weight. Your doctor will monitor that and let you know if you need to gain more or less. Just try to eat well, indulge your cravings in moderation, and take good care of yourself!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.