What will I need?

Tammyspq

Cathlete
O.K. guys, it's 5 1/2 weeks left and counting down. While I want to see my baby, I just LOVE being pregnant and fear that my joy of pregnancy may not be allowing me to be practical. I just had my baby shower on Sunday and it still is not "real" to me. Just wanted to know what you fitness moms out there found you could not live without once baby got here. We're ordering the crib this weekend but already have a pack-n-play thingy. Got 2 strollers and diapers. I know we need more t-shirts until the umbilical cord falls off...it's just hard for me to plan because I've never had a baby and I won't know the sex until mister-sister gets here.

Any words to the wise?

Thanks! jeni

Jeni,

Hope your last few weeks are uneventful and comfortable! I was happy to have had a diaper shower and I received so many diapers that I did not have to buy any until my son was 3 months old. Anyway, have lots of diapers ready so you won't have to run to the store too often at first...you may not feel like it. Have something ready for diaper rash.

Are you going to nurse? If so you need some pads to put in your bra. You may need those anyway until your milk dries up.

You might also want to get some Tucks pads for your stitched area and some spray to help with the discomfort.

I bought quick things for my husband to fix himself meals for a few days.

It's only been a little over three years since my son was born but I am having a tough time remembering things. I'm sure others will have some better ideas of things you need for you newborn! This is when is gets exciting. Enjoy every second!!!!

Kelly http://www.sgtfuzzbubble99.homestead.com/files/Smilies/De_Niro/eeyore.gif

My daughter is soon to be 18, but the coolest thing I bought, although you won't need it right away, I don't read this board too often, is one of those tiny hand-cranked food-grinders so you can make your own baby food. So useful!! I put bananas, regular oatmeal, sweet potatoes, basically anything in there, stuff we were eating for dinner anyway as long as it wasn't too spicy. I never bought a single jar of that nasty baby food stuff.

Another thing, if you put dry oatmeal, brown rice, barley or whatever in the blender for a few seconds you have instant natural baby cereal. Just grind 1/4 cup of grain at a time and then put a tablespoon or two of this home-made powder in cold water, heat it up while stirring and you have healthy whole grain no additives el-cheapo baby cereal. I only bought one box of the storebought kind.

My daughter couldn't have been any cuter or healthier, so you guys lissen' up! :)

A car seat!

OK, that was probably pretty obvious. Let's see what else I can think of . . .

If you're planning to breastfeed, a good nursing bra is a must. Even if you're not, you will not believe how enormous your breasts get once your milk comes in, so get a good supportive bra anyway.

Receiving blankets are another biggie -- most babies like to be swaddled (and if you haven't seen this technique in a book yet, make sure they show you how to do it at the hospital). On this same note, I'd get burp cloths. Lots of 'em. Cloth diapers are great for this.

I personally was never a fan of the little T-shirts -- I read a recommendation (think it was in Vicki Iovine's book) to use these until the umbilical stump fell off, but I didn't like them. They rode up over the baby's back and tummy. The onesies never seemed to bother her in the least. But I'd recommend not buying too many 0-3 month ones at first -- they really do grow out of them so quickly (you'll be doing so much laundry with the blankets, towels, and burp cloths anyway!).

A couple things that were not "essential" but that I sure was glad to have as a new mom:

* A couple of "cheat sheets" for the crib (this is a little half-sheet that ties to the crib rails and makes it easier to clean up messes in the crib -- you can't believe what a pain it is to change crib linen).

* A Diaper Genie (if you're using disposables). If your baby is breastfed, this may not be high on the list until she or he starts eating solid food, but it sure is a lifesaver after that.

* A Peaceful Planet Aquarium for the crib. I don't even know which manufacturer makes this (so you know I don't work for them), but we more than got our money out of this because my daughter used and loved it until the day she got out of the crib. (We even bought a second one for her daycare.)

* A bouncy chair -- couldn't have done a workout in the first 5 months without it!

*A plastic tub that fits in the sink. Bathing my daughter was probably the thing that freaked me out the most when she was an infant. I also got a foam insert that I would lay on the counter, then lay the towel over top of it, so when I lifted her up from the tub it was easy to get her wrapped up and dry quickly.

Hope that helps!

I'm having my first too, so I'm no expert but here are some of the recommendations I've gotten from friends and relatives:

1) Ultimate Crib Sheet - these are available at BabiesRUs online and in some of the stores. My cousin swears by them. They go over your regular crib sheet and snap around the crib bars so you don't have to pull off bumper pads, etc. when changing the sheets - this is especially valuable in the middle of the night.
2) Again, if you're breastfeeding, gel nursing pads in case you get scabs. My SIL said these helped a lot in the first few weeks. Sounds horrid I know, but I figure it's best to be prepared.
3) Regarding the Peaceful Planet - I've also heard raves about this and planned to get one. I'm not sure but I think it might have been replaced by the Ocean Wonders Aquarium. At least, I was able to find the Ocean Wonders aquarium at BabiesRUs (the actual store, not online) but you can't order Peaceful Planet online and I couldn't find it in the store either.

I also have a long list my cousin sent me that I'll be happy to e-mail to you when I get home.

Dana

See how ready we all are with advice? So fun to give.

I second those first week basics of Tucks and a spray bottle of warm water for cleansing and soothing after each time you go to the bathroom. Also, a million mega maxi pads to help absorb all the bleeding for awhile (that was a big surprise to me after my first). And at the hospital (I've had babies at 5 different ones and they've all had them) they've always given me these elastic mesh-type underwear that hold the pads in place just wonderfully!

I usually have the following right by my bed for quick and easy clean-up and changing the baby during the night -- newborn diapers, wipes, waterless hand cleanser, rubbing alcohol and cotton balls (to clean where the umbilical cord was) and I think last time I even added lotion so my hands wouldn't get all dried out. Also, the best thing for them to wear when so little and sleeping and needing so many diaper changes (so many that you won't believe it) is those gowns with the drawstrings or elastic at the bottom. So much easier to get them in and out of. It's really challenging and frustrating to try to get a newborn to move and bend right to change their clothes or even snap or zip in and out of sleepers. And the best thing I've found to prevent or help with diaper rash is that powder in the pink bottle, what is it called -- Caldesene maybe?

As for bigger stuff, you'll probably want either a baby sling or front pack (I've used both and like both for different reasons) to hold your baby throughout the day when he/she needs it, but you need to use your arms to get other stuff done too.

Also, those Mylecon drops (can get over the counter and generic, but often you have to ask the pharmacist where they are) have been essential for my last 3 babies because they didn't burp easily and seemed to hold lots of air after feedings and would cry a lot if I didn't use it. So I'd have that nearby to give them a drop or two before each feeding -- especially at night when I needed to rest after feedings.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff -- you're getting me all excited and I'm just 5 mos. tomorrow :). -- Renee

I used a Diaper Genie and it was great.

I also used a swing and I couldn't imagine life without it at the time. My son did not take very good naps at first and that really helped him to take at least a few cat naps and even if he didn't nap he was content with the motion.

I really loved my changing table. It really helped me to not have to bend over. It had a plastic cover over the pad so clean ups were easy.

I also liked the little gowns because you are going to change mega diapers. You need something that is easy to get into because like someone mentioned it is a little difficult getting a wiggly baby into snaps over and over and over again.

A bottle warmer worked very well for me also. I also used the burp cloths. It really saves on having to wash YOUR clothes.

Kelly http://www.sgtfuzzbubble99.homestead.com/files/Smilies/De_Niro/eeyore.gif

Thought of a few others

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-02 AT 09:25PM (Est)[/font][p]Here are a few more I thought of:

* Cotton swabs + alcohol for cleaning the umbilical stump;
* Thermometer;
* Fingernail clippers or nail file;
* Tea bags (for sore nipples from breastfeeding)
* Old or cheap underwear for the hospital that you can just toss (I only got one pair of those gauze panties at the hospital);
* Mylicon drops (for gas -- this is a miracle drug!);
* Infant Tylenol drops (I didn't have any when my daughter had her first shots and wished I had -- ask your doctor re: dosing though);
* Good heavy hand cream (you will not believe how dry your hands will get being in water so much!).

AND . . .

* If you can find them:
-- Peripads: these are like sanitary napkins, but they've got a gel cool pack inside. They feel marvelous in the first few days after you've had the baby. You can get them at the hospital, but they are notoriously stingy with them -- after you use the two or three that are in your room, they make you use a rubber surgical glove filled with ice. Not the same at all. They are not cheap, but I was more than willing to pay for it. Check medical supply stores. I've heard of women making something similar by splitting a regular maxi-pad through the batting, then soaking it in water and freezing it -- don't know how this would compare (I'd be a bit afraid of frostbite!). ;-)

-- Chux (or Chucks?): These are basically super-absorbant wee-wee pads (don't even bother with the ones you can buy at Babies R' Us -- they are useless). They have a blue backing and a lot of batting in the middle. We pilfered as many as we could at the hospital and then I found more at a medical supply store (I think the brand name is Curity -- they're actually marketed for adults with incontinence problems and come in all sizes -- you'll want the ones that are "chair pads"). They are wonderful for the changing table (saves on laundry) and also if you want to give the baby a little diaper-free time without worrying about soiling whatever she's laying on.

Boy, this is reminding me of all the things I need to go round up for my impending arrival!

RE: You guys are awesome!

Wow! You all are so awesome. I've printed out your replies to take home with me. None of my friends or even my doctor's have mentioned some stuff. I'm delivering at home so some things I need to get just because there won't be a hospital to disburse.

My husband will LOVE the idea for making baby food - which I believe he will do (this is a man to has taken the time to separate our kitchen spices into liquids and powders, larger bottle in the back, smaller in front and, to an extent, by type...;)

Your input has helped me feel more prepared, not overwhelmed. Keep'em coming!

Thanks again! jeni

Hey, Jeni!

I thought the same thing~What an awesome group to take sooo much time to list all this info for you! WOW! The food grinder was my favorite thing when my kids were babies, especially because they had so many allergies to certain ingredients. Good Luck to you and keep us posted. (From a Mom who's babies are 29 & ALMOST 24 yeas old!!!;-))

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Hey, Jeni!

I would try to find the New Mama Tush Soak (hope I have the name right!) from your health food store to use the first week after delivery. I felt like I could ride a horse after this!

I cannot live without my Hyland's baby homeopathic remedies~Teething tablets, C+ Cold tablets, and Colic tablets.

A vaporizor with tea tree oil (mixed with a carrier oil) in the little cup for stuffy noses.

Garlic ear drops for ear infections.

Sounds crazy, I know, but those are my must haves! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Sandi, you sound like a woman after my own heart! After taking 4-5 allergy medication management drugs for 15 years, I was able to be off them and use vitamins and other supplements to manage them so I could "comfortably" pregnant. The results have been wonderful and I hope to help my baby live as drug free as possible.

It wasn't until I sent this e-mail out that I had been given any precautions about managing the soreness.

Thanks for your reply! We go shopping again tomorrow!!! jeni

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-02 AT 11:43AM (Est)[/font][p]I also use a homeopathic cream (looks kinda like vaseline) for hemorrhoids. It is a must after birth too! I'm glad you found these suggestions useful~my darling and I were laughing about not needing clothes if we have blankets, not needing bottles or anything because of breastfeeding, and not needing a bed since the baby's right beside me. Those truly are my MUST haves! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

P.S. Because of nursing exclusively for longer than most, we went straight to table foods and never need any kind of baby foods. I definitely needed my LLL advice~it really helped!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.