Name for new baby

Cocomac

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and All,

I'm not pregnant but I am waiting to adopt a baby girl from China. While, I'm waiting, among other things, I'm trying to find a name for my new little girl. I would like to name her Cathe but am wondering how you got your name? Is it Catherine and you shortened it to Cathe?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-02 AT 11:40AM (Est)[/font][p]Before I named anyone Cathe, I would also be curious if Cathe Friedrich was ever annoyed or burdened by having to correct the spelling or pronunciation hundreds of times. It can get annoying if your parents give you a name that people can't spell or pronounce. Take it from me.

Liane (It's been hell! It rhymes with Johnny, Lee-OHnny. If people hear it first they spell it Leoni. I get called Naomi, LeeAnne, Lee-Annie, Elaine, Diane, it gets old)

A great website for finding names for all you pregnant folks:

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/

This will also help you to avoid the really trendy ones these days.

Hi Liane,

Yes, I have been trying to find a name that is easy to spell and won't evolve into a wierd nickname. Thanks for the link to the website. It's great! They have the top 100 names for every year, even the 1920's.

Donna

Hi Cocomac!

I love the name Cathe, spelled different. I think it's neat that your lil' girl will be named after someone very special to us all! How wonderful that you are adopting. Keep us posted on your great news and your decision on naming her!:7

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

This is just a point of interest, but apparently the spelling "Cathe" used to be more common than it is now. My dad, who is in his seventies, knew a couple of Cathes when he was growing up. I guess the popular spellings change -- my dad had never heard of the spelling "Cathi", but this is a spelling you sometimes see now!

Hi Cocomac! Oh how exciting to be adopting a baby. Good luck with the whole process, I understand it is not an easy one. As for names, how cute that you were thinking of naming her Cathe. I don't know if I had anything to do with it but regardless of the fact I am still flattered:)! My actual name is spelled Cathryn. At the time I got involved in the fitness industry I felt Cathy was a very common name and there were also a few in the industry. I felt a different spelling would help distinguish me from the others. While most people DO read it the way it is supposed to sound, I do occasionally have somebody ask if it pronounced to rhyme with the word "bathe" or if it just a fancy way of writing "Cath".

Good luck to you and let us know when you have your new little girl:)

Thanks Cathe,

I love the name Cathryn and yes you did have something to do with it. After all, you are the first person I see every morning on the TV! :7 Seriously though, you have been a great role model for me through the years and DH and I are great fans of yours. Thanks for the motivation and fun workouts! There are many great little girl names out there today, but I don't want my daughter to be the 9th Emily in her first grade class. Cathe is cute and just a little bit different. We have just finished the paperwork, which is the hard part, and only have about 12 months more to wait......I'll keep everyone updated!

Thanks again,
Donna

I may or may not live long enough to see nursing homes full of Ashleys, Brittanys, Madisons and yes, Emilys.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.