Question about Almond Milk

Jane A

Cathlete
There recently was a thread (by Jules, I think) about Almond / Rice/ Coconut Milk, and your responses inspired me to try Almond Breeze. I love it! Thanks!!

I have a question, though. How long does it stay good after you open it? Will it smell funny when it's too old?

My Almond Breeze has an expiration date stamped on the top which is February (I just bought it 2 days ago). I usually drink mine within 2 weeks after opening it and I have never noticed it going bad during that time. Maybe I drink it too fast so I haven't had that problem? :p

I was about to buy some Almond or Coconut milk when I was in Whole Foods yesterday, but instead, I bought some Hemp milk. It is a really good source of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, not to mention B vitamins. I got the unsweetened original and vanilla flavors to try. I used some this morning in my home-made Vanilla Latte....cuts out some calories and fat while still being nutritious. I can see I'll have to make another trip to buy more.

Almond, hemp, coconut milk--I think they are all good and usually buy whatever is on sale. I have not had any problems with any of them going bad like you have with dairy.

Whatever you do, don't freeze it. I bought two cartons of Silk Almond milk because I had a coupon, buy one get one free. Well, I froze one because I knew it would be a few weeks before I would get to the second carton and once I thawed it out, it had a weird look to it. Not sure if anyone else had this experience.

The instructions on the 32 oz Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze box say to refrigerate after opening and to use within 7-10 days of opening. I agree with another poster that my almond milk has never turned funky like dairy milk, but I also use it so often that I have never had an opened container in the fridge for more than 2 weeks.

Great question. I've recently started using Almond Breeze (mostly in my smoothies) and I love it! The carton says good for 7-10 days after opening, but I've used it longer. I've probably used some that's been open 3 weeks, and it was perfectly fine.

I buy the smaller non-referigerated carton (which you refrigerate after opening), so that I can use it up within the 7 to 10 days. Man, I love this stuff! Sooooo good on cereal!! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.