Bad Day

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
I have 5 cats and take care of three others (my Kitchen Kitties), in a separate part of the house. One of my Kitchen Kitties, Tipper (a black and white boy with a white tail tip, light yellow-green eyes, and a sweet little pink nose), seemed down for about four days. I thought it was because he just wasn't happy being inside on the real cold days but when he didn't seem to want to even get up anymore it was time for a doctor's visit. So my vet looked him over and concluded he had some oral issues, for one. Then she stood him up to watch him walk and he walked tipsy. Then he LAID down and proceeded to urinate (crying while doing so), then defecate. After testing his feces she found he had leukemia (the lowest red cell count she'd ever seen) and I knew what that meant. Then an assistant brought in the FIV test. Positive, also. At first, I was pretty steely because I knew he had to be suffering for a while, even if he didn't show it until very recently, and I knew euthanasia was the only thing to do - until I had to do it. The whole time I just kept petting him, scratching his ears, whispering "I love you" into his ears, and listening to his purr. I was bawling like a baby (starting to tear-up now) and my nose was running as the doctor gave Tipper a sedative. I just kept whispering "I love you, baby" and "Mommy loves you" until he was completely relaxed. After she gave him the final shot he passed almost immediately. Then she gave me some time alone to cuddle him one last time and I was so grateful I'd mentioned I had no pictures of him when I was first told because the assistant gave me two lovely photos she'd taken of him for me. God bless her.

Now I'm thinking about the way he showed up on my front porch early last summer and how he was so desperate for some loving, and so terribly skinny. All summer long I fed him and cuddled with him on the front porch, irritating my two in/out kitties and the other Kitchen Kitties. As the summer progressed his coat got shinier, and he got fatter and friendlier. Then, when it got colder I HAD to make a place for him among the two Kitchen Kitties. I think he was very lonely and God didn't want him to die without ever knowing a home and having real love from a human being. So as I cry I refrain from asking "why" because at least my Tipper passed with a gentle touch and the words "Mommy loves you" in his ears, something he'd never had before. All because he picked my porch to camp out on last summer.

Now, though, I'm terrified for my other babies. I know both FIV and Feline Leukemia are extremely contagious and have felt lucky for years because my neighborhood has been virtually immune to fatal feline diseases - until now. I almost don't want to know and tell myself I would have seen signs by now. But Tipper was perfectly happy and seemingly healthy until only four days ago. I'm cleaning and laundering the heck out of EVERYTHING in the areas where Tipper's two roommates are. I'll need to have Those Two tested, then my two indoor/outdoor kitties. If none test positive I should be able to breathe a sigh of relief, since my three strictly indoor cats can only get ill from My Two indoor/outdoor babies. It's an awful thing to go straight from grief to utter terror.

Have any of you had to deal with a similar situation? I feel I need to call tomorrow and start bringing in the others for testing. Oh God. What if any of the others test positive? Prayers and happy thoughts? I REALLY need them.

I am so sorry to hear about this! My heart is just breaking for you. I don't have cats but have had to put a few dogs down due to cancer and it is never easy. It seems best to get the others tested if it is contagious, and better sooner rather than later simply to calm your nerves.

The best I can do is to give you a big (((HUG))).

Hi Hon,

I have a total of about 25-30 cats - some inside, some outside. I have had to put down 7 because of the aids and leukemia issues, and it is hideous every time. I have had conflicting information from different sources.

First, to rest your mind, you need to take ALL of your babies in for a blood test and a booster on the vaccines (DO YOU HAVE THEM VACCINATED?) You want to do this as soon as possible. As for cleaning, other than the litter pan (if your Tipper used it) don't worry about it. The viruses do NOT live long outside of the host body. Chances are, it's already gone. Do not assume that just because he's been in close proximity to your other babies that they will have contracted it. I had a mama cat give birth to four babies - the male stayed with them and loved up on them all for weeks, and then he was so sick I had to have him put down. None of the babies or the Mama had it.

The first thing you need to do is get your others checked and vaccinated or boostered. That's the only thing that you're going get your nerves calmed. It's a daunting task because you have more than one, but once I had to take 7 in at one time for testing because I was worried.

I have been told by my vet that the primary way these viruses are transmitted is through blood - when males fight. HOwever, they can get it by sharing food bowls, litter pans, and by grooming each other. So you need to act quickly.

Keep us posted.

My heart goes out to you in a big way, people who allow themselves to be loved by animals and to love animals get to enter into a divine relationship that is special, sacred. I am not going to offer any advice to you because it isn't needed you know what you know and how you feel.
I have heard and I am not sure it's true but it is helping me to prepare for when my lovely creatures "transition"...but I have heard that animals especially our "familiars" they understand life and the ebb and flow. It isn't as harsh for them and they know that there is no where to go. All (creatures us included) sort of melt back into what is most "real". I know that is no consolation...but I like the idea the we melt into all that is real and there is no going away just maybe...changing. So then I can feel some comfort knowing that my "babies" are close and in fact have never really left me...and when they did transition into pure positive energy they joined my heart even deeper then the already had.

...just a thought.

Remember it's only TWO things in all of creation...LOVE or fear.

Choose love and see what happens...love those babies and see them healthy and whole.

and breathe.

xo

Radclmystic

I'm so sorry you lost your kitty! (I hope it's not a trend...there are too many kitties passing on lately on the forums!).

Having to have a pet euthanized is one of the most aweful experiences I know. I think it's harder on us than on them. All we can do is surround them with love and make that final passing go as gently as possible.

Definitely get your other cats checked. And if any do come up positive, it is still possible to keep them, but isolate them from the other cats (except the others that already have it, if any---I'm hoping none) so they don't pass it on.

I am so sorry to hear about Tipper! Makes me want to cry. I'm a very paranoid person, so I would get the others tested. If nothing else, peace of mind. I hope all goes well for you.

Krista

I don't have any experience with FIV or Feline Leukemia but when it comes to medical testing for pets or humans, knowing is usually better than not knowing. Try to stay positive until the results come back and then see what you have to deal with. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Sue

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad you got to spend time with him before, well you know. He knew that you loved him and you did the best you could.

I hope the other kitties turn out o.k.

Jennie

owhhh, my heart aches for you ... so sorry to hear of your loss and concern for your other companions ---hope it turns out ok. Tipper was lucky to have chosen you for his last venture. Take care,

Deb

I can only offer {{{HUGS}}} and say that I am truly sorry. I love animals so much and I understand what it is like to say goodbye.

I send you light and love,

Rhonda

BIG HUGS to you!! You are such a kind soul for taking care of otherwise unwanted creatures. As the Mommy to 9 "unwanted" ones (4 dogs, 5 cats) of my own, I just want to come and give you a big hug. You gave that baby a life it would have never had, even if for only a short time.

Please get all of your other cats tested and vaccinated....just in case Tipper passed it on to another neighborhood cat. It could come back to one of the other "kitchen kitties".

Stay strong!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} to you and your other kitties. I hope they all test negative and you can relax. They are all very lucky to have been loved by you. I will keep you and your kitties in my prayers.

Kim:)

Don't have any advice, but just wanted to send {{{HUGS}}} your way, and I hope that your other kitties will be alright!

I can't even begin to tell you all how much it means to have your support because I'm kind of flipping out. I have arranged to take the two remaining Kitchen Kitties to the vet at 2:30pm (it's midnight here now) to have them tested but I'm going to call again and see if I can't have My Own two indoor/outdoor babies tested at the same time. And Reese777, thank you for explaining to me that it's relatively rare for the disease to survive outside the body for long. I know this sounds awful, but if you have multiple cats you know there are often litterbox issues. I think Tipper used a corner of the basement as his litterbox. My house is from 1910 and the basement is... creepy. I only figured it out tonight as I was hot water washing EVERYTHING. I also think Tipper may have used a crawl space accessible from the basement. When you work 12-hour days you miss a lot... I find myself hoping he never used the litterbox. How's that for a switch? What has me terrified is that Tipper did fight with other males (they picked at him and he picked back), including the other two Kitchen Kitties and my indoor/outdoor male. Since I posted my original message I've been cleaning the unholy heck out of anything and everything in the downstairs kitchen (my house used to be two apartments and I really only use the upstairs kitchen) and the adjoining bathroom. In fact, the two male Kitchen Kitties are outside while I wait for the kitchen floor to dry (and respond to you all). At least this forced me to finally REALLY clean. I'm so freaked out I'll probably be up all night hitting everything I can since there's no way I'm going to be able to get any sleep.

I have neutered and vaccinated so many neighborhood cats (most long disappeared), some at my vet's office, some at the low-cost clinic, that who got what and where is a blur. On top of that, the file that contains ALL the paperwork is not where it belongs... MY cats are always cared for by my vet and I remember very specifically that one of the Kitchen Kitties (Casper) got his first set of vaccinations and was neutered at the Low-cost clinic but I never took he and his daddy (Sugar, one of the disappeared) back for their boosters (regretting that now). The other Kitchen Kitty (Top Cat or T.C.), I don't remember where he "got done" but he definitely did get done. I'm worried about them but I'm most worried about my boy, Tangerine. He's the in/out boy and I call him Sybil because his personality changes at the drop of a hat and he instigates fights with everyone (male cats, female cats, ME). I raised him from a baby, feeding him with a dropper, and was horrified he grew into such an angry cat. He can be VERY loving but sometimes... In fact, I'm home now because I made the mistake of trying to pick him up just as he was attacking some poor female neighborhood kitty. He tore up my right forearm and sank in his fangs... When he let go he looked at me like "Uh oh... I didn't mean that..." I could FEEL my thumb go numb and headed immediately to the emergency room, visiting my doctor the next morning. I'm on massive antibiotics and my thumb may recover or may be numb forever. Right now the big concern is infection. But my point about Tangerine is, he bites and scratches and could have picked up anything from anyone. All my kitties appear healthy but so did Tipper until, all the sudden, he clearly was not. So I am terrified. If Tangee picked up a fatal illness and has given it to any of my three (strictly indoor) girls, I'll NEVER forgive myself. But I'm praying God will have mercy on my idiocy.

So please, continue to pray for me and mine. I will let you all know what transpired right away if all went well. If you don't hear from me immediately after I get back... Oh God. Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts.

>I can't even begin to tell you all how much it means to have
>your support because I'm kind of flipping out. I have
>arranged to take the two remaining Kitchen Kitties to the vet
>at 2:30pm (it's midnight here now) to have them tested but I'm
>going to call again and see if I can't have My Own two
>indoor/outdoor babies tested at the same time. And Reese777,
>thank you for explaining to me that it's relatively rare for
>the disease to survive outside the body for long. I know this
>sounds awful, but if you have multiple cats you know there are
>often litterbox issues. I think Tipper used a corner of the
>basement as his litterbox. My house is from 1910 and the
>basement is... creepy. I only figured it out tonight as I was
>hot water washing EVERYTHING. I also think Tipper may have
>used a crawl space accessible from the basement. When you
>work 12-hour days you miss a lot... I find myself hoping he
>never used the litterbox. How's that for a switch? What has
>me terrified is that Tipper did fight with other males (they
>picked at him and he picked back), including the other two
>Kitchen Kitties and my indoor/outdoor male. Since I posted my
>original message I've been cleaning the unholy heck out of
>anything and everything in the downstairs kitchen (my house
>used to be two apartments and I really only use the upstairs
>kitchen) and the adjoining bathroom. In fact, the two male
>Kitchen Kitties are outside while I wait for the kitchen floor
>to dry (and respond to you all). At least this forced me to
>finally REALLY clean. I'm so freaked out I'll probably be up
>all night hitting everything I can since there's no way I'm
>going to be able to get any sleep.

Oh you're welcome - glad I can use the things I've experienced to help someone else out. And don't feel crazy for cleaning up because if you had any area where Tipper may have relieved himself that could still have moisture in it, you definitely want to clean that up. I do think however, that your biggest concern should be the fighting. Now, don't be alarmed. The occasional spat where they screech and smack at each other isn't going to transmit it. If they are fighting it's where they interlock and just dig their teeth in and act like they're trying to hit bone. Two of my kitties I had to put down where Graygray and Bighead. They were so hating each other it was awful. The saddest part is they were the cutest cats. So loving and beautiful.

Don't add more stress to your day by worrying about where everyone's records are. If the vet's office you go to primarily doesn't have a record of the cat's shots, they will just start fresh.

You've learned a valuable lesson though - and the hard way. Just like I had to. Up until about 10 years ago, I would never have tested a cat for these two illnesses, but now - it's primary. The first thing I have done is to test for aids and leukemia. I have them call me with the prognosis while I wait on pins and needles for the outcome (because I'm usually attached by the time kitty goes to the vet). And another thing that's tricky is, if you bring a new one into the fold, you want it separated from your other babies before you have it tested. We call it quarantine here.

Let me know right away when you get the word on what their conditions are. You can email me directly if you want to at [email protected]. I'll be thinking about you and hoping for great news.

:)

I have had kitties my whole life and I feel for you. None of this can be aasy for you. I, too, think the rest of the kitties should be tested. Maybe the vet could come out to your house?

Good luck to you and I am sorry for your loss.

I'm sending thoughts and prayers your way! Having lost one of my precious kitties this week (as you know), I understand your heartache. And I'm so sorry for the worry that comes along with Tipper's illness. You know we'll be waiting to hear how things go! I know the support I got here this week made a world of difference for me... You and your gang will be in my thoughts!

Allison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.