Your workouts help so much

RBurke

Cathe,
I want to start by saying that the past week has been truly awful!! I don't have any relatives or friends missing from the attack but I am just sick with grief, anger and sadness. My workouts have become even more important as I go through the emotion process. Yesterday was particularly bad. I was out of my numb phase and had progressed to a rage/fear/nervous feeling. My stomach was churning and felt so tense all day. I got home, popped in rythmic step, turned it up loud and proceeded to push myself harder than I thought I could go. I didn't hurt myself but I did work out with the intent to tire myself completely. The tapes are nice too because they were taped during the time before Sept. 11th and that makes me feel better. Anyway...I wanted you to know that your tapes and everyone in them has truly helped me cope. If you are questioning whether or not you are doing enough to help - I would say most definitely! I am ready to go home and hit my Back and Biceps with a little S&H today. I wish everyone safe and refreshing work-outs.

HI Rachael!

It's funny last night when I was doing S&H Chest & Back, I thought to myself~Look how happy Cathe & the crew looks. I also thought that is was great that the taping had already taken place because I'm sure it would have made a difference in their demeanor. Like you, the workouts have been such a great stress reliever for me also as my stomach too has been very upset about it all. Hang in there.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: HI Rachael!

I agree. I did not work out for several days just after the horror began and when I finally did, it helped calm me. I think numb is a good way to describe how I have felt these last couple of days. I am emotionally drained. I was happy to see your name though, RBurke!

Hi all. I am so glad you posted this as well. I was thinking this same thing. This week has been tough on all of us. I teach school and I have older students who understand it ( somewhat) and have needed the teachers for emotional support. I also have younger students who are too young to get it and keep asking what the big deal is. And through all of that I have my own family including a sister who lives in New York. My morning workouts allow me to de-stress and do something for myself before starting my day. I actually did MIC twice this week because the music is so enjoyable.....oh and the workout too ;-)
So thank you Cathe, the smiles of you and your crew are great medicine.
Valerie

Yes, thanks for posting this. Cathe, your videos are helping me cope as well. We are also grieving the loss of someone from this horrible tragedy, and I couldn't run or workout for a week. I forced myself to exercise this week because I need the endorphins to combat my sadness and depression. And they are really helping. You videos make me feel strong and alive, as does running a few miles. So thank you Cathe. Running and working out is the best therapy for me. Thanks.

I'd agree!!!

I finally am getting back into the swing of things...last night was the first time in a week that I've felt the energy, the drive, the desire to workout-and Rhythmic Step was my choice-2nd time doing it and I LOVE IT!!! Just wanted to tell you that I think you have a seriously demented mind when you say "Let's have some fun" right as you go into drop squats with the penduluum...course I DID think it was fun ;-) Thanks again for great workouts and they really do help release those feel good hormones!!! Off to do Cardio Kicks and CST (get my aggressions out!)
julie

Hi RBurke!

I couldn't agree with everyone more. I found myself late last week just needing a break from trying to digest and take in everything that was happening, and the struggle to combat the sadness, grief, frustration, and anger we're all feeling. That's where cardio kicks came in to play, and I fould myself punching harder and with more determination just picturing what's-his-face .. bin laden. It's certainly not the most obvious therapy, but it felt good to step back and remember to keep myself feeling up to speed. Thanks Cathe! .. Your workouts have us all inspired as always!!

Hugs to All!!
nicole

Count me in as another who has found some relief from this sad, sad week by working out to Cathe and the gang. For the first four days I felt sick all the time, with a feeling of disbelief and helplessness. I pushed myself on Saturday to do the S & H Chest & Back workout and to go for a run on Sunday. Tonite I just finished S&H Legs & Shoulders and am feeling almost normal again. Not quite, none of us will ever be the same, but working out has proven to be good therapy.
Thanks Cathe, and God Bless you all.

Lori

Thank you R Burke and all others too, for lifting my spirits with this wonderful thread. I kept feeling so hopeless last week wondering what I could do to help others, and if this is my contribution to put some warmth and spirit in your hearts than I am absolutely thrilled. You have all made my day. Thank you!

I, too last week struggled with working out. I found it especially difficult to teach my class Wednesday morning following the attacks. I didn't not want to stand in front of the room and be a motivator. I actually felt disrespectful doing this. So the whole ride up I tried to think of what to do for that class. When I arrived I told others that I was sure they were feeling the same emotions that I was and probably came in today with the hopes of feeling a little better. So what we did was dedicate the workout to all of those who lost their lives as well as the families and friends of these helpless victims. It was our workout of hope. As the week went on we found that the workouts helped us cope with all that was happening. This past Monday mornings kickbox class was especially aggressive and it made me have to wonder if the members were not secretly thinking about what Nicole had mentioned down below.

Please take care everyone!

Your welcome Cathe but I only speak the truth. I call it Cathe therapy now. I can guarantee that my work-outs are helping me more than a session with a counselor would at this point. Talking about feelings is so hard to do right now because I think we all have these emotions that are impossible to put into words. My workouts don't force me to talk about it, they give me a chance to get out a lot of anger and nervous energy and they do help me rest better which is also hard to do right now. I think I am going to do some Cardio Kicks tonight. That will be a good one! I did S&H last night so I need a good cardio, kick-butt workout today. Thanks again.

They have helped me, too. I haven't worked out since last Monday, just couldn't keep my mind on anything else but the families impacted by this tragedy. Yesterday, I was at my worst( I think) where I just couldn't focus on anything nor did I want to. I am a mom of three so I know I can't go on like this.

So this AM I got up and did Rhythmic Step because of its upbeat music and I have to really focus on the steps so that I don't mess up. I even conquered the backwards shuffle and was going in the right direction :)

So I feel a good sense of accomplishment today and feel so much better! Tomorrow - Power Hour!

Thanks Cathe and crew for helping us get through this.

Joyce

I SO agree with all of you! Today I forced myself to do Strong Legs and Abs after watching Oprah, and, of course, crying. Funny thing though, when I started, all I could focus on was how tough this workout is! Just what I needed. I am finally starting to feel that getting on with my life is not disrespectful, but rather is life-affirming. So many people have said that if we become immobilized because of these horrible attacks, then those terrorists have won. We must not let this happen.

Yes, Cathe and crew have been psychological lifesavers. It's been so difficult to focus and I've been so emotionally drained.
Rhythmic Step is wonderful because I have to concentrate so much on the footwork and CK - well, I agree with Nicole as to who I imagine is at the other end of my punches and kicks! Last Thursday I was finishing with PS CST and moving on to a CTX cardio and in between ejecting the first tape and inserting the second I saw a man on the news who was looking for his missing daughter in NYC. He was this big, manly-looking man who just started sobbing which made me start sobbing and of course that shot my energy, focus and heart to proceed with my workout

Cathe, thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving us such a powerful outlet during all this chaos and confusion. And thank all of you on this forum for sharing your feelings - it's also great therapy.

Lorrie

Cathe, I had to chime in too as I have had the same experience...after several days of mostly crying,I had to have an outlet & put in RS. My all-time favourite! I too pushed myself very hard & found some relief in looking at your happy faces pre-9/11. It helped, and that was during a time when nothing else did. I have been making myself work out ever since, knowing that I will feel such a physical relief.
You are such a dear person, Cathe. I feel really bad that you can't feel only happiness now during your pregnancy. You certainly deserve total joy. Unfortunately, I don't think any of us wil be feeling that way anytime soon. God bless you & yours, and thank you for everything you do for us.
Ruth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.