Why can't I ......

AprilY

I have been a loyal stepper & all around exerciser for @ 5 years, But I still can't increase my step height to 8", or finish a workout of more than 45 min. If I try I feel as though I will die trying, any suggestions?? Thanks =:)

Do you do intervals? They really increased my fitness level. Start by doing IMAX or Intense Moves or make up your own, once a week, I just went to two a week four weeks ago. Give it a try! After you get to the twice a week deal, increase your step level to 8" for one of the workouts. Now when I did this, I couldn't finish the intervals, but just this past Mon. for the first time, I did IMAX and Intense Moves on an 8" step and I finished the intervals! It's a gradual progression, but it really does work:)!
Good Luck!!!
Aimee

April:
You know what? You may NEVER increase your step height to 8". I felt the same way awhile back, that I *SHOULD* be at an 8" step. So I worked my butt off and finally tried an 8" step, only to realize that it really was just too high for me. I don't know much about it, whether it has to do with your own personal height or what...but I really felt that with 8", I could possibly hurt myself.

So my own rule of thumb has been that when I'm trying out a new routine, I'll use it at 4". Once I know the routine, I move it up to 6" and it stays right there. I know I'm getting a good workout AND know there's no risk of me possibly hurting myself.

On the other issue of working out for more than 45 minutes, I definitely agree that starting to do interval-type workouts will help you ALOT in increasing your workout time. It really builds up your cardiovascular endurance (not to mention the great endorphin high you get after doing it!!!)

Hope some of this helped....

Terri

Hi April,

I agree with everyone else, that Imax will greatly improve your
fitness level. That takes time too, though. I have had Imax for over a year and I just made it through the entire plyo lunge sequence for the first time last week!
Also, I went up to 8 inches for a little while and started having foot and ankle pain. At that point my step instructor told me that I should go back to a lower step height.
So the higher step is not for everone.
By the way, how tall are you? I notice Rhonda stays on a tall step even when Cathe says to go down, but she is very tall. If you are shorter, you may not want to go up.
One more thing, I have found that drinking green tea about an hour before my workout (before I leave work) increases my performance.
Hope this helped!
Cari

Ditto!

I want to 2nd. it (or is that 3rd. or 4th. it??) to start using IMax. Trust me, when you first do it (if you have never done it before) you will probably feel like you are dying during it also, but it is amazing how fast your endurance will build if you put it into your rotation REGULARLY. I always considered myself an advanced exerciser (not to boast) until I tried IMax the first time and whoa, it put me in my spot! I was determined though and I have a special place in my heart for that tape now because I remember when I could not do all the intervals. I can do EVERY one now and talk about a feat of accomplishment for myself! (Not that I have springs on my feet like Cathe does in a few of those intervals!!) So, give it a try and keep at it and I think it will surprise you how well your endurance level will build. Let us know!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Oooops~Forgot!

I forgot to mention that I started out on an 8" step mainly because that is what Cathe always used in her earlier tapes. One day I was feeling a little low on energy and decided to lower my step to 6" and I found out that day, I could keep my heart rate in the same zone, plus I wasn't worried about tripping. I am 5'4" tall and found out that 6" is a very good heighth for me. I hardly ever go back to 8". Just thought I'd share that with you too! Happy Stepping!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Cari:
Hmmm, interesting idea, drinking green tea before a workout....how/in what way does it increase your performance? I've never had it myself, I've always worried it would make me jittery like coffee does. I know it doesn't have caffeine in it or anything like that...

Anyway, maybe that's something I should look into....:-jumpy

Terri

Step Height

Just chiming in to agree with everyone.

IMAX and Intense Moves (Gin Miller)have really helped me build cardio endurance AND musculoskeletal endurance.

I also stick with a 6" step and use a 4" to learn a new routine. I am 5'4 1/2" and have sensitive knees, and I've found over and over again that going up to an 8" step causes my knees and ankles to hurt and really reduces my enjoyment (and feeling of safety -- I'm always wary of the "over the step" moves on a taller step, being kinda coordination-challenged :)). And, like Debbie, I have found that I can definitely sustain a training heart rate on a 6" step. With enough propulsion and upper body movement, I can even push into my 85% zone.

Stick with what's comfortable for your body. You just can't ever go wrong doing that!

Kathy S.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try IMAX. For those of you wondeering about my height, I'm only 5 foot .Thats a good reason also why I might have trouble moving up.So from now on I'm sticking w/ the 6".Thanks again and happy stepping!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.