Want to try MIS, PS tapes for the first time

I have been doing Firm workouts at their studio in Columbia, SC for over a year and have hit a big plateau. I modify their workouts to go slower and heavier, since I find their reps too fast for me to go through a full range of motion with heavier weights. I also find that my muscles are getting too used to my usual routine to give me the additional changes I want.

Should I start with the MIS first - twice a week for several weeks, then rotate with the PS series, or should I try to confuse my muscles by starting with the PS series - one body segment once a week. I am most interested in a slow and heavy workout for strength training.

This forum is wonderful - I've had the best time just reading through it for the past hour!

Lucky you!

Wow! Have you ever worked out with any instructor from any of the Firm videos? I have had the good fortune to have taken a kickboxing class from Cathe and also participated in live Tae Bo tapings, and it is such a thrill to meet these instructors in person! And it's an even bigger thrill to find that they are every bit as special as they come across on their tapes.

To answer your question, it sounds like the PS is exactly what you're looking for. Not that MIS has lightning fast reps, but it's more of an endurance building workout, whereas PS is a strength building series. Read about Cathe's new tapes as well--she is doing a 6-part set that will focus on one body part per day.

I think they need to update that old, tired saying about "can't be too rich or too thin." I think it should be "can't own enough videos!"

PS Series

Since you are obviously experienced with lifting weights and you are interested in a slow and heavy workout, I say go for the PS Series. You should do each of these three workouts one time per week(and definitely not more than twice each per week). Have fun with them!

Thanks, Kimberly

You're right - having caring, knowledgeable instructors right in my neighborhood is a blessing I sometimes take for granted. Jen Carmen runs the Firm in Columbia, and she has a team of great instructors. I just need to shake up my program, and I think Cathe's PS tapes are what I've been looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!
Nancy

PS series rotation

Cathe,

I am unbelievably impressed that you actually read and answer the questions in this forum! I wish you were closer - but will happily settle for the video workouts. Thank you for caring about giving us effective and safe workouts!

I have been doing strength training (upper and lower) for about an hour 2-3 times per week, always allowing at least 48 hours between workouts. To start with PS training, I am thinking of doing tapes 1,2,3 on three consecutive days, then giving myself a rest day (or two) then repeating them, then a rest day, etc. Does this seem like a logical schedule?

I have never been sure how to approach separating upper and lower body workouts. But it sure makes sense in terms of giving my body some more time to rest and recover (I'll be 50 in October, and look forward to being stronger than when I was 20!)

Nancy

From one 50 year old chick to another!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-00 AT 12:41PM (EST)</font></center>

I am a hard-core weight lifter, and think Cathe is the best! I started lifting when I was 40, and have done both MIS and the PS series.

A suggestion for "older" lifters that I've begun to adhere to is to take two days of rest between weight lifting sessions. For example, I this week I did upper body on Sunday, and will do it again on Thursday. Lower body on Tuesday, and again on Friday. It's supposed to take us longer to recover.

I find that doing Cathe's CST and BBA tapes once a week is PLENTY! Your muscles will never look better. I do an extra leg workout because I have stubborn legs that I have to work really hard. But even then, I will do only one PS Legs session, and another lighter leg workout. Those PS tapes are TOUGH!

You could still get the MIS tape also, and use it to rotate with your PS tapes, especially when you begin to feel burned out. I like to rotate MIS style workouts with the PS workouts ever month or so.

Sorry to be so "mouthy," but I love to converse with another chick my age who isn't afraid to lift weights!
happy.gif

Good luck!
happy.gif

Mouthy 50's

I think we've earned the right to be as mouthy as we want...as for lifting weights, I'm afraid NOT to! Enjoyed your reply...It's just the kind of feedback I needed...Can't wait to receive my tapes and get started on my new program...Let's see if I understood your rotation...seems that you do CST, BBA, and LEGS twice a week...how often are you doing cardio?

I have also just begun alternating some Pilates matwork (Jennifer Kries's Precision Toning) with some of the New York City Ballet Workout exercises to try to help lengthen out my leg muscles, which tend to get bulky. Since I'm interested to so many things and don't have enough time to do them all, I really like the idea of working each area hard just once a week to conserve both time and energy for other things.

Look forward to hearing more from you on this forum!

Nancy

Hey HoneyBunch!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-00 AT 04:26PM (EST)</font></center>

I was just wondering if you have The Firm's Standing Legs? It is tough too. I like Cathe's style so much better, but if you are looking for something to intermix, it is great. Just thought I'd share that with you! (I battle the bulge in the thighs & hips and I have seen some results from using this tape).

Can you give example of lighter leg wo?

I'm not 50 yet, but I'm in my forties. I'm also doing a PS rotation. I have been dividing the leg tape into two parts and doing it that way for a second leg workout. What other tapes do you use for your lighter leg workout? I'd like to know.

I DO have Standing Legs...

...and I like it. I switch off with PS Legs for my big leg workout. Or sometimes I go to the Y and do the weight machines.
happy.gif

Oddly enough, I've found the best results doing Taebo and any Cathe tape which has what I call the "Butt Blaster" factor like Mega Step Blast along with my leg workouts. Good old cross training.

For a "light" leg workout, I may do something like Cathe does in the MIS tape - lunges and squats. Or, this week I'm doing the "Xercuff" workout from Kickbutt Combat since I'm doing a Taebo tape that features tough floor leg work. It varies.

Which Tae Bo...

tape would you suggest for the legs if I were to order only one for now? That seems to be my trouble area also. Can you order the Live series separately? Thanks HoneyBunch! Your W/O sounds incredible!!!You go Girl!
happy.gif
(I love the "Butt Blaster" In MSB.)

Which Taebo for now

I have Live Advanced 1-4, and 1-3 all have good leg work. You can order them separately off the web site "taebo.com."
happy.gif

Thanks Sooo Much!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-00 AT 07:50PM (EST)</font></center>

I'll check it out!~~~I'm back! I just signed up for the Advanced Live Series!!!Can't wait to get my 1st. one. Approximately, how long did it take to get your 1st. tape? Sorry, this should be on the Discussion Forum! Thanks sooo much for your help Carol. These will tide me over in my x-training til the new Cathe's come out! Your neighbor, DebbieH.

Tae-Bo

Hi Guys,
I actually have tae-bo live advanced vol 1-6 and if you're interested in just tonong and leg and abs work Vol.5 is strictly that(personally I'm more of a cardio type so I really try to stay away from this one) but it is intense floor work and standing work.
Marisol
P.S if you call the 800# and tell them you want to join the club and receive the live series they are running a promo at 19.95 per tape that's $10.
cheaper than what they sell it on the site.

How long did it take...

....less than two weeks, I believe, for the first one. Then you get a new one every month like clockwork. I guess they have #7 out, and maybe more, I hope.

Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. I was out yesterday for a seminar.

Get kickin', girl!!
happy.gif

Hey Tae Bo Friend!

I talked to the gal at TaeBo.com and she said that Billy is coming out with 12 in the series just to let you know. Thanks for all your help & info! I can't wait to start KICKING!!!
happy.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.