Super-setting with Slow&Heavy???

N

Nancy C

Cathe, any pros or cons on doing Slow and Heavy in a super set format?

I'm thinking about doing the format as planned...chest with back but alternating between the two exercises.

Chest press, no rest, DB row, no rest and complete all three sets before moving on to another paired/opposing exercise set.

I guess my question would be on the rest area's. Being that you're giving your chest a break while working the back..it sort of rests but your endurance is getting an extra boost by continuing on. As long as the muscle groups are recovering while working the other angle..is there a need for a rest with heavier weight? Or should I do a minute or so rest before pairing and starting another group...use that time to stretch and recover?

Thanks, if you catch this:)

One for the suggestion box...Super sets/Giant sets for the next series...heavy of course;-)

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/naconfer/images/clutzvfsig.jpg

Great question 'cause those tapes are L-O-N-G! It makes it hard to do them with the length, so I'm anxious to see what Cathe says. I do supersetting at the Y to cut down on the time on the Cybex machines.

Do-able Gretchen...

I did a version this morning and it wasn't that bad. It helps that I use my computer for my strength DVD's and my bench sits close to the mouse so I can control the flow pretty easy. Instead of programming I use the mix and match and as soon as one exercise is over I quickly go to the next. The only draw back is you are always doing the same set for all three because you go back to the beginning. Did that make sense? So you see Cathe do the same 1st set of bench presses...3 times. And the one glitch is you have to zip through the intro on each exercise because you get that initial instruction part...but once you get used to that, it's nothing to jump around. But like I said, I have a good easy reach to the menu and controls.

This morning I did Chest, Shoulder, Tris and picked three exercises from each...3 supersets with 3 sets each on every exercise. The routine took 54 minutes, not including warmup and cool down stretch. I also tacked on the rotator exercise on it's own at the end.

I'm going to do legs/back/bis next. 3 supersets with 3 exercises grouped.

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/naconfer/images/clutzvfsig.jpg

RE: Do-able Gretchen...

Hey, Nancy! You just reminded me that there is this function on my DVD player to be able to bookmark. It would take some preparation, but it certainly could be done.

I like your format with the muscle groupings and tri-set between them.

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/pyth.gif Gretchen

Tried this - went FAST!

Nancy,

What a great idea! I tried this yesterday with S&H Chest & Back, and not only did it work pretty smoothly but the workout seemed to go faster!

I did two sets of a chest exercise, then cut over to a back exercise to do 2 sets, then back again. I even threw in extra lat pull-downs and the whole thing came in under 40min. I had enough time to do abs from CTX All Step.

The slow count doesn't seem as L-O-N-G when you superset. I was thrilled! Great idea... Boy, DVD *IS* the future.

Dawn P.

Hi Nancy! I agree this sounds like an interesting workout variation, however, if endurance is your goal, I would rather see you superset at regular rep speeds and perform higher repetitions with another workout. Here are a couple of reasons why:

1. By not resting between sets with slow heavy, you put yourself at a higher risk of injury.

2. The slow heavy technique is designed to totally exhaust a muscle. Although changing immediately to another muscle group that is fueled and ready to perform would allow the exhausted muscle to recover, your overall recovery would be diminished,
therefore, you would probably have to lower your weights in future sets. Therefore, lose the full benefits of what this workout offers.

Just some food for thought :)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.