Hip Flexor pain

D

dmstefanos

Hi Cathe,

First, I want to say thank you for all the wonderful and challenging work outs. I just wish that I would have found you sooner!

I have a question though. Before I ask, however I want to make sure I'm talking about the correct muscle. When I sit down if I press on the muscle where you're leg would bend it hurts. Is that the hip flexor? It started hurting today about 30 minutes into KM. I finished out the work out anyway. Probably, should have stopped. I noticed when I completed the ab/stretch section of ME that I felt the pain more strongly while doing the hip flexor stretch. I have been a long time runner and haven't had any problems. So, I thought maybe it's from doing a lot of plies, squats, and lunges lately? These are the work outs I have done recently: Sat - GS - Legs & treadmill, Mon - BC, Tues - Imax 2 & PUB, WED - KM. I love the work outs and don't want to stop. Can I continue to run and work on upper body until it gets back to normal? Or should I lay off running, too?

I have seen a tremendous improvement in strength and endurance since starting your work outs in Jan! I don't want to lose what I have accomplished, but I also don't want to push the injury to the point where I can not work out for a longer period of time. I hope that makes sense.

If anyone else has any suggestions/advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Dallas

Dallas, is it more down the front of your quad or the groin area? The reason being that I know for me that the pulsing inner thigh move in GS-Legs gave me major DOMS in that area for a few days. Of course there IS a difference between soreness and pain. Just thought MAYBE that was a possibility. Good Luck and hope it passes soon.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Debbie, I would have to say more in the groin area only on the right side. I was even feeling the discomfort just walking. Nothing excruciating, but noticeable. I don't think it's DOMS. I did, however feel major DOMS after completing GS-Legs. That subsided the next day though. You know how you always hear of good pain and bad? This is the "bad" one.:(

Thanks for your input.

Hi Dmstefanos! I'm sorry to hear that your muscle is so tender. From the sound of it, it does sound like your hip flexor area is the one you are referring to. If you are not used to doing kickboxing or even certain stability ball exercises, you can become quite tender in this area when you first start.

It takes some time for your muscles to build up the flexibility, endurance, and strength required for these exercises. All the kicks in kickbox are very demanding on the hip flexor area. And the stabilizer muscles in the hip area are used heavily when doing many stability ball exercises such as jacknife spikes for core and roll in and outs for the glutes and hamstrings. If you do a little too much too soon, your can aggravate this area and then it needs some time to recover/repair before diving back in.

I suggest taking about three days off of any exercises that aggravate that muscle/tendon area. During those three days, ice the muscle for 20 minutes, three times per day. Also, take a warm bath and then do light stretching for this tight area. No pain whatsoever should be experienced during the stretches. You want to be gentle and save deeper stretching for after, when their is no more pain or tenderness in this area.

If after three days it does not feel the slightest bit better, rest a couple of more days. If you still have no improvement, have it checked out by your doctor.

If you do see improvement, gradually ease back into the exercises that you were refraining from before (meaning do them at half the intensity and duration as before). As you get more acclimated you will be able to increase your intensity and duration.

Good Luck and I'm glad that you are so excited about your workouts. Thanks for your kind words! Take Care!

Oh thank you Cathe for responding so quickly! :) I was afraid you were going to say no exercise.;( At least I can work on upper body. That muscle/tendon has to get better quickly. I recently ordered 3 of your DVD's.:)

I was thinking before I signed on if there was anything else I could have done to aggravate that area. I fell this weekend carrying groceries into the house and my whole right side was pretty sore. My right foot was up on the step. It looked like I was doing a lunge when I fell. I also did yoga, which I haven't done in awhile. Obviously, it doesn't matter because that area is aggravated.

Thanks for the advice that I will be following as soon as I sign off, and again thanks for the awesome workouts! You're the best!

Dallas

Cathe or Someone:
What is the medical name for the hip flexor? I keep hearing people refer to it, but in the books and muscle diagrams I have, the term does not appear.
Thanks.

I was surprised to see this thread again.

I just have one reply to my original post..."Duh, no wonder your hip flexor was hurting..LOL!" What was I thinking (at that time) to do those workouts back-to-back?! Thank goodness I got smarter and stronger.;-)

Hopefully, Cathe or someone else can answer your question about the medical term. Take it easy if it's giving you trouble. You may want to start a new thread to ask the question. Or maybe ask on the Open Discussion. :)

Dallas

I think the hip flexor area is the Iliopsoas which consists of 2 muscles, the Iliacus and the Psoas Major.

Carolyn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.