help with pikes in pub

Cathe,
I can do all the pikes in PUB but I feel them mainly right below my shoulder blades in the middle of my back. Can you give me some pointers? Thanks!!

Kristie Schultz

Hi Kristie! Many times while learning new exercises on a stability ball, the muscles which are all firing to maintain your balance will get fatigued in the process. This should eventually go away as you get acclimated to the ball.

The strain that you are mentioning could also be from lifting or turning your head to look at the screen while doing the exercise. You may not be doing this, but just in case, I thought I would mention it since this is the area that you would feel this tension if you were in a pike position with your head slightly rotated or lifted.

The first thing that you have to establish is an ease and confidence while using the ball. It is best to do this on your own time and at a slower pace than what we are doing in the workout. Once you feel that you have a connection with how to maneuver your body and maintain balance you will be much more confident using the ball in the workout(a little bit of wobbling is normal and will always be there).

The main form pointer that I can give you is to put all of your attention on your core. Tighten the core and use the contraction of the core to draw your buttocks upward. Many lose their focus because they are thinking of their wobbling legs and fearing that the ball will slide away in the middle of the upward motion (if thats the case then go back to working on building up your ball confidence a little longer).

I try to focus on my buttocks coming up rather than my legs rolling in. Tighten your core and imagine that you want to draw your tightened navel right up to the sky.

Hope this helps!

Cathe!

Thank you so much for the pointer on focusing on the buttocks coming UP rather then the ball moving! What a difference. I didn't realize but I was rolling the ball in quite a bit to get up there. I watched more closely today while you did it and realized the ball is barely moving! Thanks for clarifying this as it made the move much easier to do. (NOT EASY, just easier! :7)
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Oh my!

I did them yesterday and tried to focus more on the butt up to the sky. I did feel it more in the core but I never felt any burning. I still kind of felt it in my middle back too. Oh well, I'll keep at it. I really want to master these. Practice makes perfect right?! Well almost perfect...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.