Help! Am I overdoing it?

RebeccaU

In the past few weeks I have discovered Cathe's tapes! I have now acquired a few and borrowed some others. I love them!!! They are really the best workouts I've seen so far and I've been using videos for almost 10 years. I have not yet been able to tear myself away to do my other non-Cathe tapes or even to run outside (which should be more appealing when the weathers gets better, I hope!)

I have been mostly using PowerMax, alternating with MIS 2x/wk, and mixing in StepJam, StepMax, Step Heat, and now just tried Mega Step Blast. I make sure to take 2 rest days/week. I am having so much fun, and am already seeing great results. I use them with my step at 4" as I am currently moving from intermediate to advanced in my fitness. When I complete the workouts, I am pleasantly tired, but I do have the energy to complete them just fine. In fact, last night I felt great and really worked on "getting airborne" during PowerMax.

However, I find that I have a runaway appetite, especially for carbs (I had this problem before and had recently overcome it by adding a little more protein and fiber, until now) and am falling asleep before my usual bedtime. I'm suspicious that maybe this could be due to PMS, but also wonder if I'm overtraining. I don't feel fatigued or burnt-out, but is this schedule a little too ambitious for an intermediate exerciser new to Cathe? Maybe I'm not eating enough? Has anyone else had this experience? Thanks in advance!
happy.gif

I'm no expert but...

Just to put my two cents in, I am a firm believer in the wisdom of mother nature. IMHO, if you are hungrier, you should eat more to satisfy this need! Your body will ask for what it needs.

It seems like this is working for you anyway, since you are seeing good results. Don't you just love those rest days though?????
happy.gif

I agree

Sometimes I can't seem to get enough of anything. I have found it useful, though, to find healthy choices for these times. I, too, crave carbs and have found that baked potatoes work great or microwave 'light' popcorn. I'm also trying to include things like skim milk, hard-boiled eggs, or yogurt to up my protein intake. And, for super hunger days, a can of tuna mixed with light mayo and/or nf sour cream with garlic and dill for lunch really does the trick. YUM!

Is this too much info? Sorry
wink.gif
!

Joanna

Check your resting heart rate

Overtraining can cause your resting heart rate to elevate, but if you want my two cents worth, you're fine. As long as you feel well, and have a good appetite, train on!

My experience

Several years ago I read that the progesterone levels in your body after ovulation cause you to burn up the protein faster and less efficiently, and so we need to eat more volume of protein to get the same "usable amounts," if that makes sense. The claim was that you could eat carbos until you were ready to explode, and your body would still be sending out hunger signals due to its need for protein. I always felt ravenous post-ovulation, so I experimented with upping my lean protein intake during that time, and it really helped a lot. I don't know if they were right, or if I just stumbled onto something that worked for me personally. If their theory is correct, adding in the fact that you're doing MIS twice a week and getting some major muscle building going on, I would think that your protein needs would be even greater.

One of my favs for lunch during this part of my cycle is salad with can of drained tuna mixed in, with just enough light or fat free dressing to give a little bit of flavor. It really doesn't take much. Also, if you like spinach, you might want to pop over to VF and do a search for my recipe for tofu-spinach dip. It's fabulous on baked potatoes, and really helps deal with the "hungries" ( as I call the ravenous hunger after ovulation
happy.gif
). Hmmm. Black bean dip with baked Tostitos is a good high pro, low fat snack/meal addition also. Just put 2 cans of undrained black beans in the blender and puree. Pour them into a bowl and mix in a jar of salsa. Voile'! Fat Free black bean dip!
happy.gif
This is also a good baked potato topping. Gosh! I'm making myself hungry!
I hope this helps! It sounds like you're doing great! You're listening to your body, trying to give it what it needs. I would for it!

Erin

YUMMM!!

Thanks Erin~Just went over to VF and copied off your Tofu Spinach Dip. Can't wait to try it.
happy.gif

Empty peanut butter jar

Thanks everyone! Your advice has been so helpful & supportive. The recipes sound excellent, especially the tuna ones, and you all have made me realize that my peanut butter jar at work (for snacks) is empty and needs to be replaced!!!

Erin--I think I recognize you from VF! Your information really struck a chord--I think that post-ovulation munchies & MIS coincided to increase my protein need. No matter how many carbs I eat thinking my body's asking for them, I'm still hungry. I recall now having read that carbo cravings can actually be a sign of needing protein. Also, serotonin is lower post-ovulation, and I learned from "Potatoes Not Prozac" that the body needs a sufficient amount of certain amino acids to synthesize serotonin, so it's probably all come together to give me a monster appetite.

I love spinach and black beans, so I am now daydreaming about trying your recipes....

Thanks again everyone!
happy.gif

ME TOO!!!

Hi Rebecca, I can't believe you mentioned your runaway appetite. I've been eating like a pig. I crave cookies and junk food so much. I've been exercising similar to you - MIS 2'x a week, a mix of cardiovascular 5 days a week (cathe's tapes, treadmill, stepper and nordic track) and then I do Bodymax 1 day! I feel like I have to keep up all this exercise so I don't get fat!!! I made a promise to myself that starting April 1st I'm going to try to cut out the junk food and try to eat better. Ya know, I get very tired the week before my period and my workouts are so hard during that week and I also go to bed about 8:30 or 9:00 and I'm out like a light. Boy, it's great to hear someone else is going through the same thing. I'm 39 years old and I wonder if this is what happens when you get older????? Well, I'm curious to hear what others may suggest. I hope Cathe reads this and can give us some suggestions.

Just wanted to let you know - you're not alone!!

Mary Ann D.

I'm a posting fool!

You're welcome, Rebecca and Debbie. Yep, I'm a posting fool at VF, here, Christi's website sometimes . . . you just can't get me to keep my mouth shut!
happy.gif

Have a great day!

Erin

Yes!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I get so hungry after a really intense workout -- and crave carbs and sugar! I find this craving -- esp. for sugar my biggest dietary challenge. I am a middle aged woman with the culinary tastes of a 10 year old
happy.gif

I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem to me you are overdoing it. In fact, your program seems to allow for plenty of recovery.

To Mary Ann D

Hi!

I have such a sugar problem. I have been checked for diabetes, etc. But sugar is my only addiction. If I cut back on sodas, I find that I get my sugar other ways! I can take or leave alcohol or any other food (for the most part), but I can't seem to control my evening sugar cravings.

At 45 years old, I can't AFFORD this -- I exercise like crazy -- what's a woman to do?

Any advice from anyone on how to control my sugar addiction?

Thanks!

Amy

Keep On Posting Erin!

You're a wealth of information and have helped me several times with info you had. Don't ever keep your mouth shut!!Keep those fingers typing away!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Erin???

Did you really mean "sweat"heart or "sweet"heart?? I had to laugh because I just finished IMAX!!! You were right-SWEATS the word!! Hee-Hee!
happy.gif
happy.gif

I allow for the evening sugar

I pattern my diet to allow some sugar every night....my indulgences of choice include marshmallows, fat-free and sugar free pudding (alright, no sugar, but a sweet none-the-less), and fat free Cool Whip. I just flat gave into it, and I feel less deprived if I have that little bit of sugar to look forward to every night. Then I get one weekend day during which I eat EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING!!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif

I lead a dull life, what can I tell you! I also look forward to getting the mail!
happy.gif

I do pretty much the same

thing as honeybunch. I have some chocolate covered raisins or fat-free Fig Newtons or whatever and that pretty much takes care of my sugar cravings because I know that I CAN have something sweet at some point during the day. And that also keeps me from pigging out on sugary things-it doesn't take a lot to satisfy that urge-usually anyway-pms can make one crazy of
course
happy.gif

OOPS!!

That's so funny! I did mean SWEETHEART, but if the "sweat" fits, GO SHOWER! ( Wearing it is just too ooogie. )
happy.gif
Hee, hee! Great job on IMax!

Erin

ERIN, I LIKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS

Hi Erin, your theory of the body craving more protein sounds interesting. I'd like to try to up my protein, but my problem is I'm not very knowledgable about the different kinds of proteins. Could you suggest some snacks and small meal ideas I could try. Be warned thought, I'm a very picky eater. I'm not crazy about black beans or fish (although I do go on tuna kicks everyone few weeks). I'd like to hear some of your idea.

Thanks,
Mary Ann

WHAT IS VF?

Erin, I'm new to this site. What is Vf? Can I find healthy recipes there? Please give me more information.

Thanks,
Mary Ann

VF is Video Fitness

It's a great website! If you go to the Reader Forum, there is a Recipe Box where people have posted a lot of great, healthy recipes for all kinds of things, from snacks to meals to desserts. Very yummy!!! There are also some threads on best kitchen tools and things like that. There is a beginner's corner, a place to post questions about equipment and stuff, a place to post about bargains people find, as well as a general discussion forum. Other areas at VF include video reviews, industry news, interviews with some instructors, a video exchange ( where you can post what videos you aren't using, and a wish list of what you would be interested in getting in return ), all kinds of things! The address is www.videofitness.com. I would suggest that you pop over there and nose around. It's a great resource! Have fun!
happy.gif

Erin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.