Exercises to improve balance?

midnight

Cathlete
Cathe,

You always say on your videos that "some days are better than others" when it comes to balance. Well, ALL my days are bad in this particular area. Are there any specific exercises to help me improve my balance. I have a Reebok core board, anything I can do with this?

Thank you!!

"Don't forget to breathe!"

step aerobics and any other work out that you need to have good balance to do is excellent. dancing also helped me alot. even running on the treadmill though i find that really boring!. it took awile to start noticing a difference.

laura

I found that doing the balance/standing yoga poses, my balance increased dramatically. Baron Baptiste has a workout that contains quite a bit of standing poses, but I cant recall the name, sorry!

Your internal and external obliques are really called into play when it comes to balance - if you didn't have them you wouldn't be able to do much of anything without falling over. That being said you should train your rectus abdominus (frontal abs) and your erector spinae (lower back) equally - Planks, unfortunately x( , are great for improving balance, along with Supermans and all oblique work.

Sorry for chiming in - hopefully Cathe has so recommendations for you.

Balance is "learned" thru practice also. I know whenever I have a new student, they cannot do a quad stretch where you bend your knee behind you holding your heel next to your rear. They wobble and jump all over the place but several times after attempting this move, you get better and better til you no longer wobble. (Well, we all have woobly days as Cathe states!) You WILL improve with practice.

Came back to say that I hope it was okay to state what Cathe said in one of the tapes about balance??
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Walk across a creek using stepping stones. It helps with your balance, plus you get to enjoy nature too! Just make sure you're wearing water-resistant boots.

Thanks everyone!! Your suggestions are great. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to do a quad stretch without holding on to something....

--Lois

"Don't forget to breathe!"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.