BodyMax 2 - complex choreography?

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Hi Cathe-

I'd like to pre-order the new DVDs but am wondering about Body Max 2. The description says the step routines will be athletic-based and easy to grasp, but the mention of Imax-2 has me concerned. I wound up selling mine :-( bc I just couldn't pick up the step moves. I'm not the world's most coordinated and I just don't have the time to devote to learning complicated footwork. Is Body Max 2 one I should avoid then?

Thanks! Have had the chance to pop in to your cardio k-boxing class the past couple of Mondays and just want to say I love your workouts - live and on DVD. You're the best!

~Cathy (also in S. Jersey) :)

Cathy!

No fair! You lucky duck. I wish I lived close to Cathe's studio! Re: IMax 2...how many times did you try it? I am also choreo-challenged but find this workout to be so much fun once you get it down. I also don't like to spend time TRYING to figure out a workout but this one came fairly quickly to me. Good Luck and hope BM2 works out just fine for you.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

I remember Cathe saying way way back that Body Max 2 will be more athletic in choreography rather than complex (yikes if she'll do an IMAX 2 choreography, I'll be concerned because I have some difficulty with IMAX 2 myself!). Hope she'll answer your Q.

Cathe's choreography is pretty easy to grasp, compared to Christi Taylor, Patrick Goudreau, Seasun Ziegler. Now those ppl are LADEN with choreography. Once you get them, their workouts are FUN!!!

And IMAX2 is pretty straight forward, the basic routine is done six times before the blast. If you are having difficulty with Cathe, I suggest you try her earlier stuff on Cardio Hits (Step Jam, etc.) Once you get it down, you should be able to pick it up.

Body Max is not difficult, it was athletically challenging in step but not difficult. So, if she states that Body Max2 will be athletic, I don't anticipate difficult choreography.

Thanks for the responses. I only tried Imax 2 once -- it was extraordinarily frustrating. I've heard folks say to stick with it or keep watching the DVD until you get the moves, but to be frank, I just don't have the time or interest in learning a complicated exercise routine. I primarily run, kickbox, and lift - for me, it's gotta be that straightforward. I did not find Imax 2 to be easy to grasp at all. Just not my thing.

Is it more frustrating than Body Max and Interval Max. These two are oldies but offer more athletic choreography. I was able to pick up most moves on my first try. What is complicated about Imax 2? Are there a lot of pivots and turns around the step?

Yes, there was a lot of pivoting and going over and around the step - and fast! I never knew whether I was coming or going. *lol* I think, though, that if you are a veteran stepper, it's probably not going to be that much of a challenge to get the hang of it. But my lack of coordination + step inexperience made it too much for me.

ETA: Just want to add that there are plenty of folks who don't find the Imaxes difficult AT ALL (see above), so what's frustrating to me might not be for you. I think it's just an issue of individual ability and preference. For me, I know if BodyMax 2 has choreography similar to Imax2, I'm gonna have to skip it.

Cathy,
I know you were asking about BodyMax 2 and not how to pick up the choreography but I just wanted to tell you I ordered Imax 3 as my first Cathe DVD (I didn't know any better). I was overwhelmed by the Warm-Up :eek: and had to turn it off. I got the Basic Step and Low Impact Step DVD's and learned those first and then there was no stopping me. I was able to pick up the choreography in all of Cathe's DVD's.

Ashley

I agree. I did Rhythmic Step first and thought I would never be able to do those steps. I then bought basic step and it helped ALOT!! Now the steps are familiar and don't take much to get the hang of. Good luck!!

Yes, stick with it--once you get used to Cathe's style & moves things get a *little* easier.......;)

If it makes you feel any better, I bought my first Cathe step VHS in 1997, but it seriously took me 3 years to get the hang of Rhythmic Step.

I promise you won't be sorry if you hang in there.....:)

I was reading all of your comments on the choreography, and I know this sounds silly, but no one mentioned having trouble getting throught the blasts! What do you do to get through them? What do you do so that you can improve your conditioning so that you can do the blasts... the flying "whatevers"... flying?! Yeah right! I know that I look like a complete joke. I'm frustrated with that part. what should I do so that I can get better at those?

julia

Julia,

Getting through the blasts is one-blast-at-a-time. This is a cardio interval workout and you are blasting through your anaerobic threshold. Stating this, what helped me is that I have a spinning bike and I workout with the spinnerval DVD's and iCycle by iTrain. It helps in endurance, which is the name of the game to complete any of Cathe's Imax's, period. So, I would keep at it, but look at running, spinning, circuit training, anything to help you with endurance. It will take time, but soon you will see you can complete Imax2 and Bootcamp, which is not a piece of cake either.

In addition to the weights and step, I use my eliptical trainer. I try to work in the high end of my aerobic zone and part of the time above zone. That helps me with the cardio, but not sure if that will help with endurance. When I did Super Sets today, I actually was able to do all 6 sets of explosive lunges. This is progress.

I just want to make sure that I am doing more of the right things so that I can do those blasts. When I did IMAX 3, it was like my legs were lead and I couldn't move them. Is that because I need to work more weights (not enough strength?), or I should just work the blasts and they will come in time?

Thanks for replying.

Just want to say thanks for the responses and your encouragement. :) I do appreciate it even though my feelings about step workouts are not likely to change. I know Cathe's super busy right now and probably can't post much here, but hopefully she'll provide more info on her blog soon. So, I think I'll go ahead and pre-order and just cancel BodyMax 2 if need be.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.