Is it bad to strength train 3 days in a row?

dianet

Cathlete
I have FINALLY gotten the chance to start STS. I bought it over a year and 1/2 ago, then soon after got pregnant and couldn't exercise during most of the pregnancy for medical reasons, then it took me a while to get back into good enough shape to do to STS.

But due to my schedule (working full-time with a 3 yr old and 6 month old who is still not sleeping through the night) I only have 1 hr to devote to working out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I can do cardio at the gym 3 days a week during the week M-Th before I pick up my kids from preschool (I sooo wish I could do my many Cathe cardio dvds but I can't figure out how to fit it in). So I would basically be doing cardio M-Th and STS strength training Fri-Sun. I know this is not ideal, but this is the only way I can figure out how to fit it in my schedule.

Do you think it would be better for me to use one of my gym days for strength training and not do the usual STS rotation of 3 days a week, or is it fine to do 3 days of cardio, then 3 day of strength training. Also, if anyone has any tips for how they fit in an hour of exercise when you work with small children, please let me know!!

Cathe even has a rotation that has the three sts days in a row. I can't remember which one. In meso 1 just don't put two upper body in a row- do 1,3,2 etc. Joan

YMMV, but it is one possible weight-training protocol (sometimes done as 3-days-on, one or two days off, then back to 3 days on).

I did it in my 20s with no problem. Now, at 53-almost-54, I need more recovery time (unless it's a moderate-intensity or lighter-weight workout, though my shoulders usually are happier with more time between upper-body workouts.).

Hi Diane! Conrats on your newest little family addition. I think it is perfectly fine to do cardio three days and then take a day off and do strength training for three days.

I also think its fine to swap out one strength training workout on your cardio day and swap out one cardio workout on your strength day. IE: Cardio-Strength-Cardio (Mon, Tues, Wed) ...Rest Thurs.... and do Strength-Cardio-Strength ( Fri Sat Sun).

If you choose to swap out I would suggest swapping out the STS workout that uses back for your strength workout since back is harder to hit from all angles at home than in a gym.

Overall....If for some reason you feel too fatiqued with this line up (which is very normal for someone who cares for kids under the age of 5), cut back on the length of your cardio workouts to about 30 minutes a session and consider going just a little lighter with your weights if need be. Also, get as much sleep as you can (also tough with young ones), since this is when your recovery occurs, and of course eat very clean.

Good Luck!

I have FINALLY gotten the chance to start STS. I bought it over a year and 1/2 ago, then soon after got pregnant and couldn't exercise during most of the pregnancy for medical reasons, then it took me a while to get back into good enough shape to do to STS.

But due to my schedule (working full-time with a 3 yr old and 6 month old who is still not sleeping through the night) I only have 1 hr to devote to working out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I can do cardio at the gym 3 days a week during the week M-Th before I pick up my kids from preschool (I sooo wish I could do my many Cathe cardio dvds but I can't figure out how to fit it in). So I would basically be doing cardio M-Th and STS strength training Fri-Sun. I know this is not ideal, but this is the only way I can figure out how to fit it in my schedule.

Do you think it would be better for me to use one of my gym days for strength training and not do the usual STS rotation of 3 days a week, or is it fine to do 3 days of cardio, then 3 day of strength training. Also, if anyone has any tips for how they fit in an hour of exercise when you work with small children, please let me know!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.