STS Check in Disc 8

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Ok early birds....start sharing your Disc 8 experience here. I will do this one late morning/early afternoon tomorrow. Be back then to report the damage ;)

Nighty night!

STS Disc 8 Check-in

Cathe:

I experienced STS Disc 8 for the first time this morning and am here to testify that this is another winner! Of course, I have not found a loser in this series. *wink* As with STS Disc 7, I love the sequencing and the band work. I confess that I was eyeing the coral Fitness by Cathe band this morning (especially during the warm-up!), but I pressed on and made it with the kiwi green band. I love the addition of the scapular retractions too.

The cross body kickbacks felt way too easy with the weights listed on my workout card. Should I start with more than 65 percent of my one-rep max when I revisit this workout next week? My one-rep max tests were right on target the first few weeks. I can tell that I am getting stronger each week! The last few reps are not a struggle anymore! I feel so strong!

I had a hard time with the straight arm flyes prone on an incline bench during my one-rep max tests in January before STS was delivered. I felt it in my shoulders, and it was awkward and uncomfortable. Having the DVD and seeing how you positioned your body on the step made a huge difference this morning! I felt it in the right places with no discomfort in my shoulders this time.

I have another quick question. I was enjoying the extended stretch on cardio days but started adding it to my STS workouts this week after reading your response in another thread that it is more effective this way. Why is the stretch more effective on weight training days?

I decided to bless my body with 2 rest days every week. Monday was my first rest day of the week, and I had more energy to devote to my workout this morning! I slept well last night and made it through the day without a nap. It is time for a warm bubble bath. Sweet dreams! I am looking forward to reading your update tomorrow after you experience this workout. Have fun! Wednesday is my cardio day, and I am looking forward to doing the happy dance with my beloved Rhythmic Step!
wiggleside.gif

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Last edited:
Happy Wednesday Cathe & Heather!

Disc 8 under my belt yesterday..It was my first day of really feeling "Off" since starting STS 5 weeks ago. I was wiped out after the 4 warmups! PATHETIC!:rolleyes: I perservered and just did my best and did complete the workout...I am VERY happy I'll have a second chance next week to conquer Beast 8!

LOVED the sequencing of this as well. Its AMAZING how fresh & new each workout feels even tho its much of the same footage. Its like a little surprise to perk you up when theres a new one thrown in!

I adore doing drop sets (as long as its not PUSH UPS!!!!);)

The X-Body Drop sets were really a bright spot for me even tho I wasnt in a peak state yesterday. Also LUV LUV LUV the Prone Straight Arm Flys! I appreciated these because thats my weak area.

Question that I have always meant to ask on the Scapular Retraction.
Do I lift my shoulders to ears while retracting my shoulder blades?
When I shrug to my ears I feel like I am rounding my shoulders- when I focus on retracting my shoulder blades I feel it more in traps and upper back.

Thanks for another fantastic workout that kicked my bootay! :D

Disc 8

Hi all,

I did disc 8 yesterday and it was great! I can definitely see my strength improving and I was able to do quite a few unassisted chin ups for both rounds.;) That exercise is always a good strength indicator for me. The pull ups at the end are mean:mad: and of course all assisted. I may try a few at the beginning of the next back workout just to see where I stand on those.

I do have a couple of questions though. On the 21 barbell rows, if we are using 65% of our 1 rm then I'm assuming that the last few should be pretty hard correct? Usually that would be a weight that we could do fewer reps with right? I'm finding it hard to count the brief standing up between sets of 7 as a rest:rolleyes:

Also, I'm struggling a little with the 1 armed overhead tricep extensions while leaning on the ball. I can't seem to get my shoulder joint to feel quite right.:confused: Am I supposed to be retracting my shoulder as I set up for the exercise? Maybe my weight is too heavy. I can complete the reps, but had an odd tingling sensation in my left arm which I know is probably not good.

Overall a great workout and for me the easiest of the back and tricep workouts.

Tracy

Good morning everybody!

Disc 8, for me, was yesterday (I start my new STS weeks on Sunday) and my tris are sore today. Like many of you, I just LOVE the sequencing of these workouts. You work really REALLY hard on one body part and you think that you're spent, but then you move onto the next body part and it's rested and ready to work, work. And I LOVE drop sets of ANY kind! :D

How have you all been doing with the chin ups and pull ups??? I have a Power Tower and use a pull up band and absolutely LOVE it. It allows me full range of motion with just the right amount of resistance to get the motion started. I think I'll soon be moving onto the less-resistance band for pull ups, and WILL move onto the blue Cathe band SOON!

Since I'm doing the 6 month rotation, I'm only 'with' you guys this week and next until you leave me behind, but it's fun while it lasts!

Have an awesome day!

Gayle

Disc 8 done. Another goodie.

I need to go heavier on the side lying extensions. Also the drop sets for cross body I did good on one side but the other side I struggled. I also tried doing pull/chin ups using DH's squat rack and boy that was tough.

Jenn

I did disc 8 this morning. I don't know how much longer I should be working out. My left arm/shoulder just doesn't want to cooperate. When doing the T and Ys the left arm slowly lowers to the floor. The right arm is fine. I cannot keep the left arm up for the life of me. I don't know if it is just not ready to hold up, not sure why since I have never had this problem before, or if it is a medical issue.

so I don't know if I should take a break from these workouts until I see my doc in a couple weeks or fight it out for the last week of meso 1 next week as I see the doc on my rest week. I am hoping to make it through next week even if it means lowering my weights.

Even if I am just standing I will raise both arms to shoulder height and the left will slowly lower on its own no matter how hard I try to keep it there.

Rhonda

Good Morning All-

Tackled disc 8 in dark of the early AM this morning. :)

Liked the sequencing of this one and the variety of the exercises. I know the sequencing can make a big difference in how strong you are from exercise to exercise and it really helped in allowing me to hit all my target weights and fight through the last few reps of each exercise. Despite almost taking out my nose with a dumbell when my tricep hit failure during the drop sets, :p I am definitely feeling stronger this week from last.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Mary

Good morning, everyone :)!

Like Traci, I'm not sure what I am doing on the scapular retractions :eek:. Are my shoulders to go back or up (like a bent-over shrug) or both?

But I loved the workout! I usually don't like back, but I'm really getting into using the tubing for pulldowns :D. And my favorite part - no pushups :p!

Lita

Last edited:
Did Disc 8 this morning in the dark also. I am really getting into these workouts! It was not easy but I actually felt like the time went fast and I enjoyed it. Definitely getting stronger and not having to lighten the weight coming towards the end of the workout. I still have to pause sometimes to get equipment together or out of the way but otherwise I can move along. Thanks Cathe for a wonderful series.

I did Disc 8 this morning and the time flew by for the entire workout. I LOVE the dropsets and the band work! I think I got a little better on those side lying one arm pushups today because I felt it more in the triceps than I have before. The pikes on the plates in the ab workout are definitely going to be a challenge for me but I didn't think that I would ever master the ones on the ball in KPC and I did, so I'll just keep plugging away at them.

Cathe-I have to tell you that I do these workouts at 6am and I'm barely awake when I turn the tv on and put that disc in, but the minute that I hear the STS music I am pumped up and ready to go. Not only is it a great workout but you also did an awesome job on the music!!!!!

Bev

Just wanted to say that of the discs I've done so far, this is my favorite. I really love the exercises and the sequencing.

Hi Fellow STS'ers !:D

I did disc 8 / stab ball abs / extended stretch this morning.:eek:

I loved the bandwork & drop sets!

I got to the second set of barbell rows though and then my workout card skipped a bunch of exercises .......skipped right to the last 4 exercises !
I don't know how that happened, but it left me scrambling to try to get the right weights !!!
I guessed quite a bit lower on the double arm drop set for back, and kickbacks :( but higher on the lying tricep drop set .
I like having my workout card there to tell me what to do and I didn't like not having it !!

I got my red band yesterday, so I did some of the variations for chinups and pullups with that. I liked having that option. Also did a few REAL pullups and the rest off my treadmill.

GREAT workout !!

Becky

Hi Everyone! I’m back (no pun intended, ha) and my back and tri’s are nicely fried. Overall, the workout got in there good and the time flew. I felt very strong today. Don’t you love when you have those days.
The first four exercises got the perfect amount of heat in the muscles to take on the meat of the program.
The pull ups are always challenging. I did a set of chin ups vertical, then pull ups horizontal, and one set with the tubing today. I got an extra bite on the Y’s. For some reason, they just responded big time. I also felt very strong on the barbell rows and the drop sets of DB rows. The one arm horizontal row pulled up like a charm too. I even felt like I could have doubled my weight… wow, what was in my oatmeal this morning???
I loved the swell that my triceps got from all the extentions. Seated overhead, side lying and omgosh….the cross body kickback DROPSET was awesomely challenging. I sat up so pumped when it was over. The kick backs with the band set my arm on fire and the side lying push ups did me in on the last three reps. But the workout was just about over at that point so it was all good.
I have to say, today I feel like I turned the corner with my strength. Just such a big difference today from how hard Monday felt to me. I hope you guys had a great workout too. I’m sorry to rush off but I am STARVING!!!!! Off to fetch me something healthy

I did it!

SO, I made it thru the wo! :) and what a wo! Here I was going along, thinking I was getting into the rhythm and bam, week 3 comes along and I love it! So far disc 7 is my favorite, but I still have a long way to go....but today's wo just FLEW! by and it was awesome. I love the sequencing in this week and it's really working me hard. And man, I love the band work. My tri's are already feeling it today. BTW, I also love the extended stretch. I had yoga so I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I like how it's not too pose-y, but stretches me out and I can tell a difference when I do it and when I don't....thanks for putting it on each disc b/c I would be tempted to skip it if I had to change disc's for it. GL guys....I'm a little nervous about the leg routine on Friday......you're killer on my legs, just like I need! ;)

Hi Everyone,

Did Disc 8 on Tues evening. It was challenging, but good. I started out a little tired as it was near my bedtime, but as someone else mentioned, the music really pumps you up & gets you motivated. I think I have made some strength gains as the weights felt perfect for each exercise & not as much as a struggle; definitely burned on the last 2-3 reps, but able to finish the sets on most exercises.

I also had the same question about the scapular retractions that someone mentioned earlier...are they more shoulder shrugs or squeezing your shoulder blades towards the middle of your back?

I loved the crossover kickback dropsets! Really felt the burn on those, but really felt my triceps were worked out harder than ever--they need a lot of work, so that's a good thing ;)

Loved Disc 8 & looking forward to more STS!

Disc 8 on Thursday

Hi! DH and I will be doing Disc 8 tomorrow morning (Thursday), so we expect to be sore by Friday! (Our schedule is Monday, Thursday, Saturday).

Bad news for us: We get to "Spring Ahead" this coming weekend, which means that our 5:00 wake-up time will feel like 4:00 instead! This will be the true test of DH's determination to stick with STS.

Fortunately, our active recovery week is after that, and I have to say I'm looking forward to it!

Disc 8 done....check
Back Pumped...check
Tri's Pumped....check
Abs- Weights & Plates, done.....check (whew!)
BodyMax2 Timesaver cardio only, done....chhhheeeccckkk!
I DID IT! I can do anything.

The workout was amazing! It is remarkable to see how much stronger I am in such a short amount of time.
I never push myself out of my little comfort zone very often and with STS I am always out there and WOW! The excitetment of it is addicting.
Finally...pushups that I can do...all of them. The seasaw and the one arm lying!!!!
The weight on the cross body kickbacks dropsets were way too low (made a note for next time). I used a heavy green tubing in place of chin ups and that was no challenge need to work on that. I also am waiting for the newer lime green resistance bands to be in stock since I am stretching the bejesus out of my old green dyna band. Loved the T's and the Y's, bring on the whole alphabet! Looking forward to Legs on Friday.

YEAH! Disc 8 is done! I started with 30 minutes on the treadmill today, and now I am doing the "flipper" move now and am not sure how I am going to wash my hair this afternoon! I can barely lift my arms over shoulder height let alone over my head! :eek:

those stability ball tricep pushups were good today! there is a nice variety in this workout and I love love love it! I am still struggling to get the proper burn in the back with the band chin/pull ups... I am using a 15 # heavy band, but may have to get a heavier one? hope they make Extra Heavy! ;) I really have to focus on those...

those scapular retractions were hard to get the hang of... once I did, they were done! will keep trying those too!

I liked the incline flyes also! I do have to admit that I didn't use heavy enough weights for this one so will make note of that and go heavier next time!

off to shower and some lunch!

chao!

Hi Heather! Once again, it sounds as if you are doing great! You are taking charge of that green band, recognizing your strengths/weaknesses and adjusting accordingly, paying attention to alignment and positioning, and discovering that you do better with two rest days. All good stuff, keep working it!!!

Regarding stretching, stretching is good anytime. You can never go wrong with stretching (unless of course you are nursing an injury, then you have to be very careful with your stretch program.

The reason it works so well after STS weight workouts is because the muscles shorten and contract when lifting so this deep stretch not only restores flexibility to the muscle but also improves range of motion to the joints which is better for overall injury prevention. STretching after strength workouts also improves circulation which brings better bloodflow throughout the body and therefore nourishes the body.

But again, you can stretch anytime. After your cardio workouts your muscles are very warm and primed for a good stretch too. So don't let go of that opportunity if you are enjoying that now.

Have fun with Rhythmic step :)

Cathe:

I experienced STS Disc 8 for the first time this morning and am here to testify that this is another winner! Of course, I have not found a loser in this series. *wink* As with STS Disc 7, I love the sequencing and the band work. I confess that I was eyeing the coral Fitness by Cathe band this morning (especially during the warm-up!), but I pressed on and made it with the kiwi green band. I love the addition of the scapular retractions too.

The cross body kickbacks felt way too easy with the weights listed on my workout card. Should I start with more than 65 percent of my one-rep max when I revisit this workout next week? My one-rep max tests were right on target the first few weeks. I can tell that I am getting stronger each week! The last few reps are not a struggle anymore! I feel so strong!

I had a hard time with the straight arm flyes prone on an incline bench during my one-rep max tests in January before STS was delivered. I felt it in my shoulders, and it was awkward and uncomfortable. Having the DVD and seeing how you positioned your body on the step made a huge difference this morning! I felt it in the right places with no discomfort in my shoulders this time.

I have another quick question. I was enjoying the extended stretch on cardio days but started adding it to my STS workouts this week after reading your response in another thread that it is more effective this way. Why is the stretch more effective on weight training days?

I decided to bless my body with 2 rest days every week. Monday was my first rest day of the week, and I had more energy to devote to my workout this morning! I slept well last night and made it through the day without a nap. It is time for a warm bubble bath. Sweet dreams! I am looking forward to reading your update tomorrow after you experience this workout. Have fun! Wednesday is my cardio day, and I am looking forward to doing the happy dance with my beloved Rhythmic Step!
wiggleside.gif

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.