STS Check In DISC 3...LEGS

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Hi Everyone! I won't be getting to this workout until way later in the day but I just wanted to get our thread started. Share your "pain" here. Just kidding of course.

Good Luck Everyone!

Cathe

Good morning Cathe:eek:

You already up? Do you ever sleep? LOL!

I just got done with disc 3 legs! WOW! It kicked my butt:p I got a very nice burn in my legs, I also love the drills on the end! I never knew paper plates would give my legs such a nice burn. I couldn't pick up my weights with the wall squats, I keept them in my hands:p When DH comes home tonight, he need to fix my carpet in my workout room. its all mesed up after wall squats:rolleyes::D I love the leg workout! You are the best!

We are covered in snow in Grafenwoehr, I am so sick of snow! We had more than enough of that white stuff:eek:

Hope you get same sleep today? Have a good one!

I did disc 3 on Wednesday and had DOMS in the butt all day on Thursday. It was nice to feel it there.

The wall squats I didn't even try it with weights. I knew I couldn't get down that far to pick them up and I am not that great at wall Squats so I just did them without weight.

Belinda - I am with you on the snow. We are in a winter storm warning again for Saturday where we could get anywhere from 3-8 mores inches. Not sure what we have done here in Michigan to deserve all the white stuff but I am more than ready for Spring and sunshine.

Cathe - Thanks for the great series. I am enjoying the workouts - so far - and hope to finish the 3 month rotation with everyone. I am not good at following rotations but I am thinking I can do this one.

Rhonda

I just finished this a few minutes ago and I'm already feeling it. :D I'm doing the 6 1/2 month rotation and this was my second time doing this one. Last week it hit me hard for two days with still a bit of soreness lingering after that! I love the paper plate work! Fun stuff. Had to turn my fan off though after it tried to blow the plate off my leg during those bent leg pulses. As soon as the darn water softener stops charging (really need to reset the timer), I'm headed for a hot bath and my fast emptying bag of epsom salts. :D

Things I learned in disk 3....

Good Morning to Cathe and were able to still walk to the computer.....

Disk 3 was tough going this morning, as I suspected it would be as I am more of a leg strength type of person rather than leg endurance, but I made it through and am determined to get through the other 3 in this mesocycle.

Things I learned today while doing disk 3....

1. Plates enjoy the gravitational pull of the earth rather than sitting on top of my leg :rolleyes:
2. Wall squats seem like innocent fun with the pretty red ball on the way down, but if you go to far down, they get ornery and wont let you back up without a fight. :mad:
3. Deadlifts are still my friend :D
4. If your leg finally zonks out during fan kicks you can kick your ball all the way across the room hard and knock your water bottle off of the tv stand so you can find a way to squat some more after your workout and mop up water :p

I cant wait to hear everyone else's experiences today. Enjoy your day.

Mary

I just finished Disc 3 and found it the most challenging of the first three. I don't like paper plate slides and have a hard time with them on Berber carpet. I used furniture slides and finally gave up on the slides and did the best I could without them. Loved the bonus at the end. I also got confused about the weight to use--is that one dumbbell or the total listed in the target weight? This disc also seemed to go on the longest. The others just seemed to fly by. Let's see how my legs feel later today and tomorrow. Question--how much does it matter if I modify so I don't have to use the paper plates?

Last edited:
Hey, Phyllis. I was playing around the other just (yesterday, actually, after Disc 6 legs) and wanted to try something that I thought of. Instead of using paper plates, you can do those moves on one leg, elevating the other leg (the leg that should be sliding) and keep it elevated for the whole move. Talk about a balance challenge. Also, you can use a med ball under that foot and sort of roll it back or sideways as you would a plate. Don't put all your weight on the ball, though, just kind of use it to balance and lightly roll it back with your foot. (I don't like this version as much as the balancing 'act', though, because the ball doesn't really allow a lot of movement like the plate does, but it's an option.) As I said, I was just playing around when I was done (I am able to use he plates, fortunately, but I was just experimenting.).

Gayle

Just ouch.....I did it yesterday and I feel it today. Those gliding plates are a really sneaky killer.....beware, in a good way.

I just finished Disc 3 Legs. It felt so good when I was done. I love STS!! This is the second time through on Week 1, I started over this week so I could work along with Cathe.
For some reason my back was hurting on the One Leg Slide Back Lunges with the Moving Men. Maybe it was from the deadlifts, I don't know.
All the wall squats are a challenge. I can't get down far enough to lift weights. Also the ones where you have to lift your leg, I really struggle with my balance on that one.
I will be feeling this one tomorrow, in a good way, right?

I did disc 3 on Wednesday and my legs are still talkin' to me!!!

This was my second time doing disc 3 (I'm on the 6-month rotation) but it didn't get any easier!!

I was able to stay lower on the walking lunges/plies this time. And my balance is fine on my right leg for the touchdown squats but awful on my left.

Then the rest of the workout kicked in and it kicked my butt!!! I love this workout!!! It gets so much work done in not that much time!

I need to really, really work on those wall squats. For some reason, I get fearful that my feet are gonna slip and I'll fall, so I don't go nearly as low as I should.

This is such a great workout!!!! Can't wait to try disc 6!!!

Good Morning...I think

I just got off the squat rack....ouch! Funny how that workout didn't fly by at all. :rolleyes:
I Loved the challenge!
Just one question...this is Meso Cycle one for me so am I still only supposed to rest for 30 seconds while using the squat rack option? That is what I did today and I had to force myself to fast forward those rest times! :p

Sorry to hear about all the snow those of your are getting...we are in T-shirts in Las Vegas! Winter kind-of skips us. :(

Hope you are all sweating as much as I am.

I can already see the definition in my upper body.

See you next week.
Wendy

Good Morning Everyone,

I am not a morning exerciser but yesterday decided to do disc 3 at 5:30 a.m. because we were having guests over in the evening and I did not want to miss it.

I enjoyed the leg workout and by the afternoon, my hamstrings and butt were already getting sore. I did some stretching last night hoping that would help. This morning when I woke up, I had full blown DOMS. I may be walking around the office funny to today. LOL!! :D When sitting for long periods, I get stiff and it may take a few seconds to loosen back out.

The One Leg Touch Down Squats, I could not really do. I just did not have the balance for it.

By the end of the workout, I was happy for the Tibialis Press and Pulls with Stability ball because I was able to sit. I could no longer do any more squats or lunges, etc.

I am another one that does not really stick to rotations but I am enjoying this one so far and can really see myself keeping up with it.

Great workout!!

In checking the weather this morning, I've discovered that I will be working in an extra workout this weekend with Shovel Max. :rolleyes: Anyone joining me?

Loved it!

Hello Cathe!

I did Legs this morning. I loved it. It flew by and was very hard. During the wall squats where you your supposed to pick up the weights, my weights just sat on the floor. I could not get down to get them. I never even tried to balance the paper plate on my thigh. I work out in my basement. My workout area is unfinished ( I do cardio upstairs in my living room, which is carpeted). I was having trouble with the papar plates, they wouldn't move at all on a cement floor. I tried plastic plates and they were better. I did use a barbell on some of the exercises instead of the dumbells, because it was just a little easier for me. When I got done, I walked over to the stairs to go up and take my shower. As I stood at the bottom of the stairs my legs said "You have got to be kidding." I love workouts where my muscles feel really worked right away. I am sure DOMS will be setting in by this evening. The only bad thing is I won't be able to do this workout again for 3 1/2 months. Great workout!

Denise

Holy Legs Batman

WOW...let me repeat that...WOW....and I always welcome hard leg workouts (helps keep my mediterranean hips and butt small, as opposed to their genetic disposition of big :) Once again Cathe delivers. All of her leg workouts are challenging, yet work muscles in a slightly different way, so as to ALWAYS whup your butt literally and figuratively.

I found myself saying a few times, um, you are kidding me RIIIIGGGGHHHTTTT? The wall squats look so harmless, key word there = LOOK...DOING is something completely different. I may have uttered some words that are untype-able here :)

One leg slide back lunges: in my haste to grab my weights and not pause the player, I glanced quickly at my workout card and grabbed the weights for the NEXT exercise (slightly higher--uh-oh...realized after). My right butt cheek was CRYING when I was done (coupled with DOMS from previous day's kickboxing, this made for some outrageous burn).

The bonus burn at the end was awesome....plate remained on the legs...fan kicks were fun and gave me a chuckle when I went a bit too low, kicked my ball and it rolled away.

Bring on week 2 legs :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

You know I really can't wait to hear what Cathe has to say about herself on this one. I was way more sore from this one than from either of the upper body workouts so far.

Hi Cathe & All STS Friends !

I did legs and yoga abs today. I did the legs with no weight at all.
Something flared up in my back and yesterday I spent with a heating pad and aleve, no workout, so I was happy to be able to workout today !
I just kept the weights out of it !

Cathe, one question. I didn't do 1RM testing for my legs , and am considering doing all my leg workouts with no or light weights . Is that okay? Will the workouts being unbalanced (heavy weights for upper body , light or non for lower body ) be a problem in any way ?

I really loved today's workout and normally I do not enjoy working lower body. I do love butts & gutts and now I love STS legs too !!!;):D:D

Oh, I did Yoga abs today too !

TGIF !!!
Becky

Cathe, STS disc 3 is now my favorite workout of all time! Awesome! I just finished and feel so thoroughly worked, in a great way. There were so many wonderful exercises that challenged my legs in new ways!

I discovered I need to correct my 1 rep max figures for deadlifts. (I must have put in my barbell weight, 'cuz the dumbell size on my workout card was crazy.) I also have trouble with wall squats - I have touchy knees so I can't go too deep. I just did what I could and held steady during the leg extensions - maybe someday I'll do them too. Since I can't go too low, I just kept my dumbells in my hands the whole time instead of setting them down.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and give you a huge THANK YOU for this series! Off to take a much needed shower...

Good morning, everyone :).

Disc 3 was definitely the hardest so far :eek:. I'm so glad I didn't try to use weights on the One Leg Touchdown Squats because I had a hard enough time trying to stay upright without that added challenge :eek:. But even without the weights (and using lighter weights on some of the moves I was not sure of), I still have a lot more DOMS with this one that the first two!

Cathe - Thank you so much for answering my questions on Disc 2! And I didn't say on Disc 1, but I was much relieved to know you were suffering from all those pushups almost as much as I was :p!

Last edited:
Disappointed

I am disappointed in my performance for Disc 3: Legs. Last week I did Week 1, Disc 1,2 and 3 in preparation for doing it together with all of you. I found myself needing much longer breaks in between because my heart rate would sky rocket. I also had to drop down in weight for several exercises. My performance last week was much better.
One thing I thought of was that I did Pilates Inspired Abs yesterday. (I loved it) . . . maybe my lower body was still recovering.
I'm wondering if I will be ready for Week 2 Legs since I struggled so much today.
Oh, and the Bonus Standing Leg Work felt great and really worked my outer thighs. Off to do the extended stretch.
Good Luck to ALL!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.