Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 9/7

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Things went pretty well yesterday, once the habitual late arrival workers finally got there! It's always the same people too.

Kylee was a very good girl yesterday, she got a leg toward each of the class titles we are working towards, and if she does the same today she will have the 2 titles...such a good girl. Keegan...not so good. He completely shut down in the ring and would not do anything. John was pretty disappointed.

Josie, it's seems like you are doing well back with running.

Judy, it will be good for you to get back into your routine.

Hi to Lynda, Valerie, & Lori,

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

Yesterday My son's girlfriend came over to do some Barre with me. Was nice to have a playmate! This was her first time so we did about 40 minutes. She loved it and we had fun. She was spent after that and went upstairs. I continued on with Cathe's LBB barre then did all the upper body from Cathe's live sculpt class. I loved this live class. It was great that she split it up with legs first then upper then core so I was able to easily start where I wanted. After I was done Chelsie was amazed that I had the strength to continue on. Was funny and I was kind of proud of myself too. :D

Deb... Yeah Kylee!!! What a good girl. Keegan I guess just wasn't feeling it. Funny their personalities!

Josie...I agree with Deb on you running. Great job! I would have the DOM's for weeks with all that running out side.

Judy...getting back to your routine will help a lot.

Beautiful day here today. Not sure what my workout will be.

Have a great Sunday!

Hi to Lynda and Valerie!

Hi Deb, Josie, Valerie, Lori, and Judy--

This morning I did KCM's Cardio/Sculpt Fitness (70:00).

Deb, I am rooting for Kylee today. Sounds like Keegan likes to keep you guessing about his mood.

Lori, that's a lot of workouts put together! Did you get a lot of rain yesterday? Looks like the coast really got hit, but we lucked out with just an inch or so. Sticky yesterday, and today feels like fall.

Judy, you deserve some time for yourself and DH. I hope everything settles down for you and you can get back into working out.

Hi to Josie and Valerie!

I'm back... got home yesterday around 4. good trip, easy drive, no issues with customs this time. jasper is lovely but it is one busy place. we'd planned on staying Saturday/ sat night but decided after the crowds rolled in Friday that we'd forfeit our camp fee for Saturday and head home. just too blasted busy. we did 2 decent hikes, and 2 serious mt bike rides. the hiking is just too crowded there for us. the terrain tends to be flat river valleys or very steep mountains with not a lot of "in between" that we call good hiking. Lovely but we've done everything there we want to do.

we saw quite a few animals but unfortunately many were being fed by people ( adults) who should know better. when mama bears and cubs are sitting by side of the road and don't run off, even when you stop, you KNOW someone has fed them. "a fed bear is a dead bear"... is so true. they eat bad things, can get aggressive and get killed for the aggression or hit by vehicles. there are signs warning not to feed, but no rangers around to enforce it. we saw people hand feeding bighorn sheep! the squirrels and chippies too, so pesty they won't leave anyone alone so obviously they get fed a lot. we saw no one in authority to complain to so will either write or call and complain. a lovely place, hate to see it ruined and have animals die because by people ignore rules.

Deb, kylee is a little show off! Keegan less so. such little cuties.

Lori that should make you proud that you can out work someone way younger...but good for her for giving it a try! gotta start somewhere, right?

I haven't read last week's thread but will get updated today...
we did a 23 miles ride this morning so are staying on track.

Good morning,

I am off today to recover from the weekend. Kylee did get one of the 2 titles, she messed up the other one, so we will need to try for that one again at the upcoming show in January. Our team took FIRST Place! It was pretty funny, someone videoed it and I hope she posts it so I can post a link to it here.

Lori, How nice that your sons girlfriend will do workouts with you! I bet she has major DOMS today.

Lynda, I still have a hard time with a KCM that is 70 minutes! We are still waiting for the new one that she is doing right now. Some time in October I guess.

Valerie, Welcome Back! Why do people think they can feed wild animals? It's not like it isn't posted, and they must hear about some of the things that happen when you do that.

Hi to Josie, & Judy.

Take care,

Deb, so glad you liked 6 feet under. It started out so-so but it seemed the writers had a clear idea of a story for the series and how it would end, not like some, where the writers go on and on with side plots as long as they think it can be viable. ("Lost" comes to mind.) it really was one of my favorites. we are watching orphan black right now. I'm not totally involved in it but the acting is very good and it's certainly different.

so sad about your co-worker.... it would help everyone if it turned out there was a medical cause for his loss of control. very sad.

I'm also a big fan of Benadryl Lori. I buy a bottle of Tylenol PM at Costco. Their generic version is "Rapid Release Acetominophen PM" Kirkland brand. it helps me on nights where I wake up and think I won't get back to sleep...when my brain goes into gear and starts the cycle of thoughts that will keep me up. Costco has plain generic Benadryl ( diphenhydramine) and sometimes Advil PM. all are inexpensive and seem to work for me. I have a usual wake up around 1 am and that's when I take one if I don't fall asleep right away. I'm forgetting if you have Costco... but if Costco has it, so will other retailers. generics are way cheaper.

we used to run outdoors but as the season goes on, it's not light enough in the morning. of course, we were working then! we have reflective vests ... weigh maybe an ounce... also good for hiking during hunting season. we use headlamps rather than carry a flashlight. best to keep hands free. I miss running but stick to indoors on the treadmill now. wow Josie, jumping right back in and doing significant mileage! It takes me a while to get used to a change like that.

I'm going to take a closer look at the HC disks. I might like those.

Deb, we think a lot of the tourists are international and that maybe they can't read or don't understand the signs, or treat wildlife here like in Europe where cows, sheep and goats are all domestic but roam their mountains. DH and I have traveled enough in parks and wilderness here to feel VERY sure something is totally wrong there. it takes years and a generation of animals to break bad habits and also some enforcement of the rules which may make some folks unhappy. we didn't see this everywhere, just one area of the park.

I've never had discomfort from a bar on my shoulders... both of our bars are 'easy curl" bars with the angles. maybe that's why? I have High Reps but have not done it in a while. what I remember most was it moved so quickly I couldn't keep up with the equipment changes without stopping the disk. I don't have enough open floor space and have to rack things to keep the floor open. other than that... I like that one.

Last edited:

This morning I did Dancin' Abs (58:00).

Welcome back, Valerie! That's a beautiful area you visited. I went there a long time ago camping with friends in college. I enjoyed Orphan Black, especially the uptight suburban mom clone who likes guns. Tatiana Maslany is an extraordinary actress to play so many roles. I don't think season 2 lived up to my expectations--too many plot complications and more clones. I think this happens a lot. Someone has a great innovative idea but no real plans for more than one season. This happened with Homeland and The Americans. Breaking Bad, though, really just kept getting better IMO.

Deb, hope your friend supplies a video of the team. I looked at the premixes on Cardio/Sculpt, and there are 4 of them, all much shorter than the full 70 min. Enjoy your Monday off!

Hi to Josie, Lori, and Judy!

Good evening ladies!

I actually slept pretty well last night for a Sunday. No workout today as I am used to taking most mondays as a rest day.

Deb...I really enjoyed working out with her. And yes when she came over Sunday for breakfast she was so sore!! I would love to see the video. I asked my son about posting our hiking on you tube but he has yet to do it.

Valerie...sounds like you had a nice vacation. I never get why people feed the animals. I think they just do not get it at all. I will admit it was nice feeling being more than 30 years older and being able to out workout a 21 year old! :p

Lynda...that sounds like a fun workout. Dancin' Abs. I even like the name of it.

I had another busy day today at the office. Today we had to box everything up and ship to Florida to the conference. The next couple of days will be a little easier for me. At this point everything is pretty much done. Just some last minute fine tuning. Hoping to get back to my afternoon Barre!

we decided to try 2nd season of orphan black. I wanted The good Wife but DH wanted this and I guess while the first season is fresh... is best to do it right away. lots of things to get confused about.
Lynda, I agree on Homeland and the Americans... seemed good at first but without a long term plan, so it became someone's job to try to continue it for more seasons. sometimes it works, but not always.

I took today off too. probably didn't need it but it seemed right somehow. did shopping, and some gardening. Lori, I think that's just a hoot... kicking a 21 yo's butt! but really, if people don't exercise, I don't care how young they are, us older folks can show them a few tricks. I hope this influences her to take up exercise ASAP.

I sent off a short email to Jasper specifying exactly where and what date "the problem" occurred. there are some bungalows at then end of the Miette hot springs road and maybe it doesn't get watched closely. or maybe park people aren't able to enforce it because of the guest population? ...regardless, we saw no sign of any rangers. we didn't see the issue elsewhere.

Good morning,

It's back to the grind for me today. It was so nice being off, almost like retirement. :) The roof and gutters were finished yesterday. Thursday it's the electrical upgrade, then schedule the A/C thing to be done and we should be finished with the house stuff for now.

Valerie, agree on 6 Feet Under...I loved the ending. If I had to criticize it at all it would be that it was too graphic, but the acting and plots were fantastic. I have been reading a lot about different OTC stuff, and I think taking the Benadryl by itself is ok, but with other stuff. like Tylenol or other, it can be tough on the liver. I used to take Tylenol PM too, really for the diphenhydramine, but after reading about what taking those long term can do, I switched to straight Benadryl. There is probably something bad about that too, but right now I take them or would not sleep. When I retire, I will probably not need them.

Lynda, my cousin wants to watch Breaking Bad this fall together. ( not literally together) but at the same time. Of course, it is not free on Prime yet. She is watching Orange is the New Black right now, says it can be disturbing. Have you watched that?

Lori, glad you will have a couple of easier days. You do not have to travel to the event do you?

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

Take care,

Deb you are right to keep an eye on too much acetaminophen.... it's an ingredient in a lot of other combo meds, and a lot of people don't pay attention and end up getting acetaminophen from 5 different directions. I don't take it every night and don't take it otherwise. it seems the slight ache/pain relief helps me sleep too. we have plain Benadryl around too.

there was some graphic stuff in 6 feet. it was funny how the gay couple ended up being the most stable. I'd love to watch Breaking Bad again, not actually binge watch, but re-watch the whole series in a week or two rather than spread out over several years. It's impossible to remember every plot twist from year to year. I feel the same about The Good Wife.
we watched Orange is the new Black a short time ago. only the first season. it's good, also a bit graphic with women. lots of side stories developing but I expect I won't remember too many details. some series make sure they remind you of key things but not all do.

it will be nice to get done with all the extra people in and on your house!

off to yoga.

This morning I did XTrain bis and tris (45:34).

Deb, I did watch the first season of Orange Is the New Black and found it entertaining. Once again, I wonder if it will sustain itself into the second season. Some people couldn't handle the violence in Breaking Bad, but it seemed to be (to me, anyway) an absolutely necessary element in watching the gradual change in Walter White from mild-mannered chemistry teacher to drug kingpin. Fascinating character study.

Valerie, I'm glad you wrote that letter. I hope someone pays attention. I will be curious to know your reaction to season 2 of Orphan Black. I watched it on BBC cable with week-long intervals between episodes, so maybe it will be better for you watching more than one episode at a time.

Lori, Dancin' Abs is my favorite of the three Jazzercise dvds I have. It is a really great workout for your abs and fun at the same time.

Hi to Josie and Judy!

Canada's parks seem to be managed differently than US parks. I suspect the Miette hot springs are may be private inholdings with bungalows and a restaurant and a hot spring so maybe park personnel don't have jurisdiction?
I've seen old footage of the 50's where Yellowstone had all the bears begging, with lines of cars and people tossing food out. totally unlike that now.... rangers are visible everywhere and very aggressive about enforcing rules. a couple years ago DH and I saw a wolf pack take down an elk near the road. I flagged down a ranger and within approx an hour they were closing all the trails around the area. not a moment's hesitation.
I would never intentionally feed even squirrels, but bears?? what are these people thinking?

the only false note I get with OITNB was casting of the main lady's husband.... somehow doesn't seem right for the part.

Good evening ladies!

Slept great last night. Boy I needed that. Still no Barre at lunch. :(. But when I came home I did cathe live heavybag followed up with cardio kicks punching drills. Was a little more than an hour.

Deb...unfortunately, as the meeting planning I will be going to florida. I leave on Sunday and come home on Thursday. When I arrive I meet with the hotel to go over the three days and then I pretty much ensure everything goes smoothly - arrivals, food, events. On Wednesday I need to make sure eveyone gets on their buses back to the airport. I usualy stay an extra night to again meet with the hotel to go over invoicing, etc. Tons of work going on at your house. Wow! I bet you will be glad to get it all done. I hear breaking bad is awesome.

Valerie...glad you wrote that letter too. Hope something is done. I have yet to see any episodes of OITHB. One of these days I'll get to it.

Lynda...that is one thing I do not do enough of. Work my abs. Perhaps if I found a workout that made it more fun. I feel I work them more doing barre but could do more.

Hi to Judy and Josie!

Good morning,

Too tired to do any workout this morning, lost my workout energy I guess. Nothing appeals. I took this morning off to meet with our financial guy at the bank. I am bringing all my retirement information to go over. We'll see.

Valerie, Good you wrote the letter, hope someone pays attention to it. I read so much on what some of this OTC stuff can do long term, and it's really scary. When I had my back problem, for 10 months before I had surgery, I took anywhere from 4-10 ibuprofen a day. I shudder to think of what that did to my liver at the time.

Lynda, have you heard anything about a new Doc Marten series? I think I will go over and Google it..

yay! Here it is: http://karengilleland.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/season-7-doc-martin-confirmed-by-martin-clunes/

Lori, how is the new barre set up in your workout area? did you paint it purple? My favorite color! I think you would really like the Horizontal Conditioning workouts, very tough, challenging. No fun factor though LOL..

Hi to Josie, & Judy,

will check back later,

Take care,

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,

Back from Palm Springs. Did not workout at all there, so today I will be taking a spinning class and tomorrow back to body pump. After my Saturday run my left knee has been bothering me, so back to spinning and no running until it goes away.

Lori, do you get to workout while you are in Florida?

Valerie, welcome back. Sounds like you had a good vacation.

Deb, get back on that wagon! You were doing so well.

Hi To Judy!

Josie

This morning I did All Out Low Impact Hiit with core 1 (49:22), and took Max for a 3 mile walk yesterday afternoon.

Deb, thanks for the link on Doc Marten. It sounds like it will be the final season, and I can understand why. Like Clunes said, it is getting a bit repetitive. Good luck on the retirement--you sound soooo ready. Horizontal Conditioning does not appeal to me at all, although I admire you for doing it.

Lori, I think some of the drills in After Burn with the disks, especially mountain climbers and burpees, are good for core work. Dancin' Abs has great music and it is fun with easy choreo.

Valerie, I know what you mean by the 1950s and feeding the animals. Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes did a cross country trip before their return to England in 1959 and she describes (in her letters) the bears as really invading the campgrounds for garbage. She also has a short story, "The 59th Bear," about the bears.

Hi to Josie and Judy!

Good evening ladies!

Tonight I did 45 minutes of Suzanne Bowen's supported barre. Was great to use my wall mounted barre. Love it. I read in Cathe's newsletter once her forums are updated it will be easier to add pictures. I'll add my barre then.

I am looking forward to tomorrow's live class...kickboxing, barre and heavy bag! Pretty much my dream workout. Funny because it is my birthday tomorrow so I feel like it is a gift to me!!!

Lynda...I do not like mountain climbers at all. I would have to say that is the exercise I dread the most. I do them but do not enjoy them at all. Give me a burpee anyday!

Deb...yes the barre is purple! It looks cute. I have those days where I start working out then nothing. Just do not feel it. When I feel like that I have no guilt in stopping.

Josie...welcome back! Smart to let that knee heal. I will try and get a workout in here and there but it is always so hard. I am bringing my cathe travel fit and I downloaded a couple of 30 minute band workouts and a couple of 20 minute barre. Figured I'd bring some shorter workouts incase I am in a time crunch and these may be easier to fit in.

Hi to Valerie and Judy!

Good morning,

Still no workout mojo, I think I am stressing about retiring or something...excuses, excuses. Our meeting with the financial guy went well. I have moments that I am so happy about the thought of retiring, then I panic and get butterflies. What is wrong with me?

Josie, sometimes you need to take a break. At least you jumped right back into it.

Lynda, I hope if they end Doc Marten with this upcoming season, that they make him a little more of a warmer person. Also, I hope that he adopts one of those stray dogs!

Lori, Happy Birthday!! Maybe I should do Travel Fit, even if I am not travelling! I have never done that workout at home, only on the road. Funny, it's almost like a rule in my mind or something. :). Where did you find and download the other 30 minute band workouts? I have one on my iPad can't remember who it is at the moment.

Hi to Valerie, and Judy,

Take care,

Just a quick post to wish Lori a Happy Birthday!

Things are chaotic around here. SIL is staying with us for a while and it's made getting back into a normal routine a little more challenging. I will be working out at the gym for awhile until she leaves.

Judy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.