Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/22

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Class wasn't that great, Keegan was not into it for some reason and I got pretty frustrated with him. The play was good, a comedy that was actually funny.

I am going to try to do a workout today, even if it's only 30 minutes. I have to get back on track. I know, I have said this before, but this could also help my sleeping issue. Lots of "stuff" to do around here when I'm done. The list is endless.

Garance, you're right about the "racing mind". It takes over and no matter how tired I am, I can't stop thinking.

Valerie, I don't really want to start on any prescription stuff, will keep trying different things, like one of them is to cut caffine out entirely, even in the am. That will take some doing, will have to cut back slowly. I usually do not have any caffine after noon, and what we make at home in the morning is 50/50 blend. I will slowly reduce that and cut out all other.

Well off to get more coffee (!) into me so I have some energy. That will be it for today though.

Hi Deb and any later posters--

This morning I did Turbo Barre (74 min.). Not sure what I will do tomorrow, since DH still has not rigged up the new dvd player. If he does it this afternoon, I will do S & G. If not, then I will do After Burn.

Good luck on the sleep issue, Deb! If you do try the trazodone prescription, I don't remember ever being constipated with it. I have two cups of coffee per day, one in the morning and one at noon. Melatonin never did a thing for me.

Off to see Hugo this afternoon.

Go Pats!!

Deb, in the sunday paper in the Parade magazine Dr Oz has a big article on sleep issues. He's not my favorite medical source, but does summarize and explain a lot of the small issues that can add up and cause sleep problems. one thing he mentions that I've done for a while is turn my clock face down. the light from the digital display bothers me and he mentions it, along with other things. Our bedroom has a big window that especially with snow was quite light even at night and I could tell it would bother me too. dark. quiet cool temps are esssential for me. I mean cool... less than 60. 50 is fine. so is less but DH gets testy!
I know a lot of people don't get a newspaper anymore ( I can't live without it) so online. Parade.com/sleep I assume it's the article plus a quiz that's not printed. He mentions melatonin, and Valerian root which I tried also. Like Linda, melatonin didn't help me and neither did valerian. this had some connection to menopause for me, but even after my sleep wasn't good.

we were going to trail run this morning but wet and wind came too quickly so will do something ?? at home. I have only a little caffeine and early. don't forget caffeine in soda and chocolate. I'd like to eat enough chocolate for it to be a problem....

Good morning all,

I'm sure you don't want to hear the details of another craptastic night of little sleep. I won't go into it.

Yesterday I did a KCM 30 minute weight workout. Nothing today.

Garance, Melatonin and Valerian never did a thing for me either.

Valerie, I found that article on line, and took the test. Guess what? I am not getting enough sleep.

Joan, welcome back, how are you feeling? I hope your eye issue and the shingles are gone. Did you have a good time?

HI to Josie & Cathy,

Take care,

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cardio and Weights (approx. 60 min.), on VHS because DH has not rigged up the new dvd player, and now the old one refused to play anything. Guess I will have to dig into my old video workouts, because I don't want to nag, and I cannot install the thing because it's in a big piece of furniture.

Went to see Scorsese's Hugo yesterday. I thought it was much too long and very self-indulgent. I'd give it a B-/C+. There were some children in the audience, and despite the story surrounding two kids, they were clearly bored. So, unless you are interested in the history of film, its origins with Lumiere and Melies, I would skip this slow-moving movie. And I usually like or love Scorsese.

Welcome back, Joan! How was the big easy?

Deb, sorry about another bad night.

Good luck on the weigh in Joan... I've never been to new orleans but I know it's not a "diet friendly" place. yes, let's hear about it!

I did AT yesterday and this morning we did a ski which did not turn out very good. snow was totally awful, wet, sticky, slippery. we did about 3 hrs RT but it could have been longer if the conditions had been even slightly good. this was awful and it was getting worse as we went up in elevation. weather forecast was wrong... the weather guys have been batting about zero over the last week, wrong again and again. it was supposed to be quite cold this morning which means decent snow but it was warm and raining on and off.

I got a EOB statement on my colonoscopy, supposed to be preventive, 100% covered. EOB was for $800. DH said it was my fault because I didn't tell the check-in people it was a screening. I said I had Golytely brain and I don't remember what I told them, but that I had checked with insurance 2x and was sure about the coverage. called the insurance and they said they 'billed it wrong". I wonder just how many people suck it up and pay the bill without calling to question it? This was just an EOB not a bill but it makes me wonder.

Linda, the Bob dylan thing we saw recently was Scorsese too, and the first disk seemed that way, a lot of old footage that didn't seem interesting or very relevant. at least to me. I don't remember most of the real old music people. woody guthrie a little, but certainly not the band m,embers. the second part was much better. I don't always like his stuff but will look at most things once. Hope DH sets up the new player. VHS is a real step backwards. we still use some VHS but the picture quality is not good.

Deb, good luck with the caffeine withdrawal program. I have 1 tsp of 'real" coffee in my latte, mixed with about 2 TB of decaf. That's it. some days a little more but always early and not much more. make sure you look at all his ideas. I started turning my clock face down because I had a sense it bothered me, but this was the first time I read a confirmation of my idea.

Good evening,

We enjoyed walking around but since I don't like fish it was a little more difficult with the food.

I would think every colonoscopy was a screening.

Deb I hope you can find solution to sleep. I am lucky part of the year that I can sleep late if I can't fall asleep early. I don't know how you function without enough sleep.

Weigh in was 176lb. It could have been worse but I think that is as high as I have ever gone. Unfortunately that is the weight I seem to go back to each time. I was 175.8 on Jan 5 after the last vacation and had gotten down to 173.6 in two weeks.

Back to counting calories.

Joan

Morning all,

Kylee got John up at 4:00 but I decided to try to get more sleep That wasn't happening. I got up at 4:20 and decided to try a Cardio Coach. I am so glad I did. I feel 100% better than other days. I guess that blood flow moving really does it.

Garance, NAG away! Just kidding. I could probably go for a while using VHS tapes, although I don't have many Cathe ones.

Valerie, I'm with Joan, aren't they all "screening" unless something special is ordered? What does "EOB" mean? I agree on the digital clock making it too bright, but I know if I turn it over, John will have a fit. It has a control on it for brightness so I turned it down to the dimmest it would go, but still be able to see it in the dark.

Joan, I have never been to New Orleans, always wanted to see it. I don't like fish much either so maybe the food part would not be fun for me. Will you be following any type of eating plan? Ever hear of the 17 day diet? some people say it works and is easy to follow. I have the book, never did it, lent it to my SIL who really likes the diet.

Time to get ready to go, have to let the "vixen" out one more time.

Take care,

EOB is "explanation of benefits", statement from the insurance showing % of procedure covered, what $ are left for you to pay.
I did some reading about colonoscopies beforehand. this happened the last time. Yes, most people who get them are signing up for a "screening" procedure. that's considered preventive and usually covered by ins. but what happens if they find a polyp? hopefully it is small and is clipped off during the procedure. but when that happens, it turned into a "procedure" and you are billed for part of the cost. this happened to me 6 yrs ago when I had my first one. this is an insurance scam of sorts to get YOU to pay part of the bill, and also part of how insurance billing is coded.
If you are totally clean, nothing found, then it stands as screening. but like in my case, and in what I think are a big % of cases, some small thing is found. I have a few diverticula. No biggie, most people over 60 have some. nothing to do with them. I also have some minor hemorrhoids that have never bothered me and was unaware of. so because of those 'observations" last time I had to pay the bill and I was pi$$ed but that was common procedure a few years ago, a definite "gotcha" by insurance. the doctor was going to get paid regardless, but this way WE got to pay a big % of the bill.
so this time I checked ahead and was assured that it was covered but then the same thing happened with the bill arriving showing I owed $800.

This is common... I read that as part of Obama's health care plan that issue, at least with colonoscopies, is being "fixed" so people don't wake up after a procedure they thought was covered and find out they owe $2000. It is sneaky and deceptive. when we called, they quickly admitted their "mistake". I wonder what happens if you don't call? I'll bet they let you pay the bill you get from the doctor and no one is the wiser. so this was a "heads up" for me.

I keep hearing about the 17 day diet. I may take a look, I'm not making any progress with out a specific plan.

Joan, time to get back to counting calories. it's so hard to keep things under control when you're traveling and eating out. I thought new orleans was more about doughnuts and cajun food. . I'm not a big fish fan either. I'll eat it, not my favorite thing.

Deb, can you put the clock on his side of the bed so it's less noticeable for you? DH and I each have one but mine is face down. I turn it over to see the time if I need to. even dimmed down it bothered me. Strong work on a workout this morning. I love my 7 am yoga class, missed it last week due to snow.

we have a DVD/VHS player in the exercise room. they are way more expensive than a plain DVD. DH likes to watch old movies that are on VHS that won't transfer to DVD.

I saw a thread yesterday on open discussion where someone was talking about her Toshiba DVD running disks at 80% speed. Mine does. I never thought of saying anything. If Cathe & crew go too fast, or if it's a new routine and you are trying to get the moves down, it's great to use. Slows it down some, but still moves right along. mine will switch back and forth easily.

This morning I did S & G (52 min.). DH put the new dvd player in for me, and wow, the picture is so much better, clearer. I guess the old one was trying to tell me it was on the verge of death.

Good for you, Deb! Maybe more exercise will help with the sleep problem as well as giving you a jump start on the day. What is the 17 day diet? Sounds like yet another fad diet for people unwilling to change their eating habits. A mere 17 days ain't going to undo what months of indulgent eating hath wrought. When you look at Jennifer Hudson, it's a real vote for Weight Watchers, which seems to help people really alter their relation to food.

Valerie, I heard today that Hugo was nominated for 11 Oscars. I must be missing something. I couldn't even stand the soundtrack, which drove me crazy after awhile. The whole thing just seemed too stylized and affected for me.

MMMMM--I love seafood and would probably OD on the gumbos. What did you eat instead of seafood, Joan? I bet the French influence would make for some very fine restaurants. Doesn't Emeril Lagasse have a couple restaurants there?

Hi Ladies,

I was sick over the weekend so no work outs for me at all. I feel much better today, so I will be going spinning.

Joan, I’m up there with you. I weigh 175 lbs I’m 5’6” and would like to get down to 160 before my ride. Let’s check on each other and make ourselves accountable. Did you go to any of the jazz clubs in New Orleans?

Garance, I love sea food and love Gumbo. There is a sea food bar at the Palace Station in Las Vegas where they make the best Gumbo that I have ever had. We usually make a stop there when we go to Vegas. I know that If I went to New Orleans, I would come back 10 lbs heavier.

Hi to Deb, Valerie and Cathy!

Josie

Linda, I heard this morning about the 11 oscar nominations, and I thought, "isn't that the movie Linda just saw and didn't like?" seems like every year there's at least 1 picture ( of the primary nominees) that I sit through and can't imagine why it was ever made at all.

briefly checked out the 17 day diet. it's another high protein/ low carb. I keep hearing how well they work for a lot of people. being primarily vegetarian, it won't work for me. I am trying to trim junk carbs and work hard at exercise. last week stuck inside for 4 days didn't help. I did WW a long time ago. I know the program has changed a lot since the days of required liver. that was a deal breaker for me...... could not eat liver. UGH. at that time it was hard to do vegetarian. I should re-look at WW.

You're right Linda, Jennifer Hudson looks amazing and is a great example of successful weight loss that lasts.

I know when I go on a fad diet I lose fast and gain it all back. I'm on the second day of diet. More fruits and veg. and limit calories. I know how to do it I just get hungry.

Josie I'm 5'2" so I need to get to a weight less than you but would be thrilled to get to 160 and stay there a while.

I think the best music we heard was just out on the street. We did hear jazz at the Court of the Two Sisters. We went to Besh(sp) Steak House and had the best filet. I like my meat with no pink and most people can't cook it without drying it out and making it tough. We also found a good Mexican restaurant.

My eyes have really been hurting me the last two days so will go back to doctor tomorrow. I just found out a little while ago that wearing a hat in my office helps. I have bright overhead lights that usually help with all the paperwork but bother my eyes now.

Joan

Morning,
coffee.gif

I have been up since 2:30, so exhausted. No workout today, I wouldn't trust handling weights right now. I'll be lucky to drive to work.

Valerie, I also saw that thread about being able to slow down the DVD. I haven't had a chance to check mine out yet to see if it does that. Absolutely hate liver. Any diet that has you eating that would be tossed by me! UGH.

Joan, have you looked at the new Weight Watchers programs? I sure hope they can help with your eye situation.

Garance, I don't think the diet is meant to be only 17 days, I think they have you do certain things for that long, then the second 17 days is something else etc. My cousin and his wife swear by it. I guess anything that gets you to eat better is good, as long as you can stick to it.

Josie, glad you are feeling better.

Off to get ready for another day in paradise!

Oh Deb 2:30.... I slept until 6 again. been doing well lately. not every night but most nights. We make a pot of decaf in the morning and then later I have a tiny bit of caffeine in a latte. It really is fine, I don't miss the caffeine but still can have a couple cups of hot, nice smelling coffee in the morning. My player has a button that says 1.3/ 0.8. I don't use it often. it helps if you just can't quite follow and get off the beat.
It's been a long time since the WW liver requirement but I remember it because I hate liver so much. it's long gone, this was maybe 1978.

Joan, try a visor.... it won't muss your hair as much as a hat. You need to try an eating program you can maintain traveling. that has to be hard on your body, going up and down so much. agree with Linda, WW might be good. people do NOT complain about being hungry. I post on another board and the WW people do well, eat normal food, live normal lives. and they lose slowly but consistently. there are some people doing low carb programs too. the starve/binge cycle has to be detrimental to your health and it's not succeeding.

Did Cardio supersets yesterday. had trouble with the dvd player, my fault cause I pushed some mystery button and lost the sound. got it back somehow.

This morning I did Athletic Training (56 min.).

Deb, so sorry about the insomnia. Do you get at least 4 hours before you wake up?

Josie, a woman after my own heart. Love gumbos. Love salsa dancing.

Valerie, the other movie I was surpised about was Midnight in Paris. I just thought it was silly and pretentious. I don't like calves' liver as in liver and onions, but I do like my pate. In general, I have a hard time with organs, unless they are really disguised in some way.

Good luck on the diet, Joan.

I have a wide brimmed hat that looks good. I think I will get a variety of stylish hats and that will be my signature look. I can't take it off when the client is there or it is too hard to see. When it hurts I just want to close my eyes. I can't believe what a difference the hat makes.

I can count calories better than points. I really do know how to diet- I just want to eat cake.:eek: I have to accept that if I don't up my activity I just don't use many calories. I usually average 1200-1400 calories when I diet but during tax season I only use about 1400 calories a day. Not likely to lose much but I do need to keep fighting to stay the same.

Too funny Linda... the movie I just got is Midnight in Paris. It was several notches down the list but with netflix that happens sometimes. I don't care for owen wilson either, so two strikes already. I am all about texture in my food, and liver and other organs were not possible for me. my parents used to force us to eat it too, which was not a pleasant thing.

Whatever works, Joan. I always get too warm in hats and I hate how they flatten my already fairly flat hair! Hope you get some improvement on the eye discomfort. Can't go wrong with lots of vegies and fruit. You are able to lose so quickly which I can't do, but I do maintain a weight OK.

we went furniture shopping today, and bought a new sleeper sofa and 2 chairs. It's for our family room where we sleep sometimes in the summer, so it had to be reasonably comfy. some sleepers are just awful. We have a small futon right now but there's not enough seating in the room so decided to upgrade.

Good morning all,

I am not sure what we are going to do about Kylee and her rambling in the middle of the night. We walked them before bed last night to make sure she did "everything" and was tired out a bit. She still got us up at 3:30, had to go out again. It's not like she's faking or anything, she really goes. She has been one of the toughest to house train. Kelsey was the same though. I think its a girl thing. All I know is when I am able to sleep, she wakes us up. Tomorrow she goes in to be spayed, has to stay overnight. I don't like the thought of that, but maybe I'll get one night's sleep.

Garance, sometimes 4 hours, sometimes more or less. Lately, once I am awake, I cannot go back to sleep, no matter what time it is. Like today was 3:30, I think I went to sleep around 10:30, so that is a good night. How is the weather there? we got a dusting of snow overnight, but nothing to even have to shovel. Loving this winter.

Joan, I hear ya...I want to eat cake too, and chocolate, and ......

Valerie, new furniture, nice. I remember my Mom trying to disguise liver in so many ways so that I would try it. Like breading it and making it like a chicken cutlet...ugh, as if that would hide the disgusting texture and flavor!

I was supposed to be off today,but need to go in. Hair cut and pedi after work, nothing else going on here,

take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.