Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/22

Yay Deb you will get a full nights sleep! Dogs and cats are not bothered by surgery like people are. it's like they feel no pain? in 2 days it's like nothing happened.

Linda, you were right about Midnight. JUst an okay movie. interesting premise but all those terribly interesting people didn't seem too interesting, just tedious. a best picture nomination? Not really. I love Marion Cotillard though, she is just delightful. I know I've seen her before but don't remember where.

Furniture will come in about 2-3 weeks. I liked a lot of things I saw but space constraints and needing a sleeper sofa narrowed the choices considerably. we need to sleep on the sofa sometimes ourselves so wanted something decent, not luxurious but not awful. after testing the "mattresses" there was only one. the others were a joke. anyone who slept on one would never come back to visit. really, the floor would be better. I can sleep on the floor but would not expect guests to.

Did part of turbo barre... maybe a third, but DH needed help with some things so will re-do it today. off to yoga.

Hi Ladies,

I went to a new core class offered at my gym, it is a 30 minute class, then I took the Zumba class right after. Let me tell you! I was exhausted after that.

I was supposed to have started my BHIP program, but when I went to the orientation, the coach remembered me and asked me what I was doing there. I reminded her that they had told us that we could do the program again after a year. She said that it was only for new people and that there was a long waiting list, she then said that she could not stop me from doing the program, but that I should join the continuation program that cost $20. per month in addition to my regular gym membership at UCLA. That would mean a $48 dollar charge every month. So, needless to say, I did not join.

So I’m going to be doing my workouts at home and at Gold’s plus my spinning and ridding on the weekends.

I hate liver! My DM would make it for my brothers and DD, but she never forced any one to eat it if we did not like it. I used to cook it for my ex-husband and that was bad enough for me.

Valerie, I broke down and used my Christmas money to buy a spinning bike. It should be here by February 2nd. I can’t wait. I want my DH to start using it too, he needs loose a few pounds around the middle.

Garance, your DH and you don’t take dancing classes anymore? My DH and I have decided to go our dancing at least 2 times per month or more if possible.

Hi to Joan, Cathy and Deb!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did Cardio Supersets (41 min.). I was going to do the premix that included the step (63 min.), but I overslept by exactly 20 min. Thought it was prophetic, so did the shorter program--Hah!

Well at least you get through one deep-REM cycle, Deb. I think I have read that we sleep in cycles, and the first one is both the longest (about 4 hours) and the deepest sleep. So maybe you are not totally exhausted some of the time. With Kylee gone overnight, maybe you will have a longer sleep. If not, I will try to over-sleep for you!

Josie, the ballroom dance lessons just repeat things on an annual basis, and while DH really needs to repeat the same steps over and over, I don't and just get bored waiting for the tango. Maybe after I retire I will just go to some tango lessons without him, because he's really not a very good dancer. At the wedding, I had to keep whispering to him, "quick-quick-slow" for the foxtrot. If you are interested in losing the belly fat, there is an article in the most recent More magazine about a diet and exercise program specifically designed and guaranteed to get rid of belly fat after 6 weeks. I haven't read it yet, but I did look at the stats and pics of the women, and they all lost inches and pounds. I will have to read it.

Valerie, I asked one of my colleagues if he had seen Hugo and what he thought of it. He was totally bored, like me, except for learning how some of the earliest films created some of their visual effects. He said, and he's right, "Anyone who can make Sasha Baron Cohen boring has got to be doing something really wrong." I agree. Cohen is zany (he was in Borat), but in this film, b-o-r-i-n-g. He also won't even go to any more films by Allen after Vicky Cristina Barcelona, which I didn't much like either. Marion Cotillard was in Inception (the dead wife), and won an Oscar for playing Edith Piaf in the biopic.

Joan, some people just look great in hats. Unfortunately, I don't. I say if you look good and they protect your eyes, enjoy them.

back from yoga, great class as usual. it's funny how tight and immobile my hips are. I can barely cross one leg over... ankle to opposite knee.. if I need to keep my sit bones on the ground. actually I can't unless I roll backward off my sit bones. I'm pretty limber elsewhere and this is not arthritis or anythjng. just can't move that way.

Can't dance anything and don't like it. I tried hard when I was younger but just oxen-like. the only worse dancer that I know of is... DH. he's awful. We are like a couple of Holsteins on the floor. Terrible. I could fly to the moon before I could do a foxtrot, or salsa or really anything. hopeless.
I looked up cotillard and know I saw part of Inception but was hopelessly confused and went off to read. Did not see La vie en Rose at all. I didn't recognize anything else she'd been in, so no idea. maybe it was Inception, I disliked the movie so didn't think it was there. I didn't put Hugo on my netflix list.

Josie you will like the spin bike a whole lot more than liver! we like ours. DH uses it more than I so far. We put my cleats on so we use bike shoes. I prefer tennies. I'm glad we found a use for the cleats but I'm sure I'd never put them back on my road bike. I don't like the bike shoes either, but the only way to tell is to try. DH loves them so you never know. my feet feel like I'm sliding on ice and my ankles are way too flexible to feel like I have any control of clipping in or out. Yuck.

Good morning,

Off today, ( and today only). will be taking Kylee in around 7:30. Then meeting my friend for breakfast at 9:15. Maybe Keegan and I will get a long nap this afternoon,

Valerie, I agree that dogs and cats recover quickly, but I know they feel pain. Kelsey was in a lot of pain when she was spayed, she was trembling, and really down for a few days. I'm sure they will give us some pain meds to take home with her when we pick her up tomorrow. Forgot to ask, did you get the Yoga workouts from the new series? I know you prefer a live class, but thought maybe you would get them to use if the class was cancelled, or time changed.

Garance, yes, maybe that one deep REM cycle is preventing me from falling asleep at my desk at work. I like hats, but not baseball caps.

Josie, strange about the mix up on taking that program again. I wish John liked dancing. He hates it and only goes on the dance floor if I ask him to. Then I can tell he is really self conscious and can't wait for it to be over. I guess dancing is one of those things that you either like or hate.

Time to go and take the vixen in...I miss her already!

Deb, I always thought Kelsey was a male... Kelsey Grammar is a guy so I assumed kelsey was a male name. Hope she does well. I'm sure there is discomfort but animals seem to do so much better at recovery than people do.

No i didn't get the yoga ones. I don't like doing yoga by myself and didn't think I'd use them.
Busy day yesterday...took Puss in for his annual vaccinations. He's going to feel a little sluggish today but usually just for a day.
I had started the DW. when I got back an hour later I saw a shiny area of water along the base. Took off the bottom panel and sure, enough, a leak. That's it, I'm replacing it. It's a quiet DW but has leaked before, has had a pump replaced, and is a nightmare to clean. It was a top rated Kitchen Aid. there was no way to clean it without disassembling the internal mechanism. It needs an accessible prefilter.

Some friends of ours were having a terrible time with their boys, drugs, expelled from school. they were cute shy little kids last we saw them, what a difference a couple years make. our friend emailed Dr phil, response in half an hour. flown to LA, on the program, the boys forcibly removed from their home in the middle of the night and taken to 2 different treatment centers. The program airs in a week. Amazing to hear something like this about people you know well.

Repeated most of Turbo barre but kept getting interrupted and finally let it go for the day. That is THE hardest workout for me.

Happy Friday!

I went spinning last night and I swear that the instructor tried to kill us. She also twiked (sp) my bike to resemble it to a road bike and the ride was much better. So, I guess we can learn something new every day ;)

I will be riding on Saturday and Sunday for approximately 60 -70 mile total.

Deb, hope everything goes well with Kelsey. My dog Astro is on pain medication because of the torn ligament on the right leg. We don’t give it to him every day, just when we see that he is struggling.

Garance, I will look for the magazine this weekend. My problem is my lower abs.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Josie

Hi Deb, Josie, Joan, Cathy, and Valerie--

This morning I did After Burn (54 min.).

I read through that whole article about belly fat, so I can give you a little rundown. It's 5 workouts per week, two should be HIIT (like After Burn or Cardio Supersets) for 30 min. and three should be cardio and core. The cardio must burn 400 calories, so the times vary, depending on what you do. Unfortunately, 93 min. of walking at a brisk pace (3.5 mph) only burns 400 calories, while it only takes 35 min. of running to do the same job. She has calorie burn times for swimming, biking, elliptical, etc. 15 min. of core 3 times per week, and the exercises don't look tough--planks and crunches of various types. There's a week of menus that looks pretty good, too. Anyway, I thought it looked pretty reasonable and was impressed by the progress made by the women. They all lost inches around the middle. What I do per week doesn't look too different since I've been doing LIS for almost 3 mos. now. I wish I had measured my waist before doing all of these HIIT workouts by Cathe. I have lost 3 lbs. the last time I checked without making any changes in my diet.

I will go see The Descendants tomorrow. I will probably be envious of the Hawaii setting. It's just raining cats and dogs here in the 40s. Blech!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Linda, I can't wait to see that movie.... love george to look at, and he is usually in good movies. I have the Tree of Life on my netflix list.. but reading the reviews it sounds less than great. many people said it was the worst movie they ever saw, but then a few thought it was a "masterpiece. Did you see it?

Hawaii sounds pretty good right now, as does AZ. for some reason the rain and general "dismalness " is annoying me more this year.
I can imagine an instructor killing you on spin bikes.... it's WAY harder than I thought, harder than street riding. I don't like the cleats but DH does, so it's probably going to stay the way it is. Josie, can you get anywhere near the speed Cathe & others do? I have no clue how to get my legs to go that fast. nothing to do with resistance, they just don't go that fast. I am probably at about half that pace. I'm not out of breath or tired, just can't go faster...

Morning all,

Kylee is fine, just a little groggy and subdued. Kylee subdued??? Yeah, but not for long I bet. Hopefully she will leave the stitches alone and we won't have to put a cone on her head. I can see it now. Keegan was really happy while she was gone, and is looking at us saying. "why is she back her?"

Going to Keegan's class in a bit. I think I'm getting another cold. ugh. I don't think I have had this many colds at once in years. It has to be a lack of resistance or something. Probably the lack of sleep. I did sleep better last night, took 2 nightime cold pills.

Tomorrow we go to see A Chorus Line, which my niece is in . It's put on by a local theater group. It got a great review in the newspaper.

Have a great weekend,

Looked at DWs yesteray but didn't buy yet. Deciding what features I really want. the prices were much higher than I thought. I definitely don't want builder grade for $400 but think around $1000 should do fine. not sure I need the fancy gizmos that brings them up to around $1700. put a bowl under where I thought it was leaking and collected a cup of water.

Deb, so sorry if you're getting another cold. I know I've said this before but it really makes a difference. use hand sanitizer after touching ANY "public" surfaces. any sort of shopping, restaurant menus, tables, countertops, grocery cart handles, the pen at checkout etc. I keep hand sanitizer in my car (and my purse) and use it every time I get back to my car. I sanitize before I put the keys in the ignition. I don't touch my face, especially nose and eye area until I've used sanitizer. I used to touch my face often (out of habit) and I'm sure that's how I transfered virus. I've managed to avoid colds DH had... 2 of the last 3 times... by being methodical & careful. It's easier now that I'm not out in the workforce anymore but regardless, I am so miserable with colds that I was very motivated to change my behavior, and it's helped immensely. the lack of sleep doesn't help either. lowered resistance, and I know when I'm tired, I get careless.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.