NEW RUNNERS MAY 2010

syzygy314

Cathlete
Happy May everyone! Thought I'd just get us started for the month!

It's a beautiful day here and we're going to hit 80! Woo-Hoo!

Baking bread today and planning a nice puppy walk for later and that's it! I finished STS yesterday! Yippee! Got a new storage device for the computer and now all of my Cathe workouts are on their own system! I can have the space back on my laptop! Yay!

Checking everything out so I can start deleting them off of the laptop.

I have my work cut out for me! I already have 88 workouts downloaded. Once I check these out, I can start downloading the rest of them! This might take a little while!

In the meantime, I think I've decided on what to do for my rest week.

M, W, F - yoga
T, Th - stretch and meditation (haven't done any of that in a while and I know I can use it!)

Abs everyday and, if I feel up to it, puppy walks in the evening.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Jane - I hope your races last night and this morning went well!

Hi Runner Chicks!!

HAPPY MAY DAY!!!

I completed both my races for this weekend.

We had threatening weather for last night's race. It was raining when we left home but it didn't start raining until about a hour after the race. It was very humid but the course was flat so that helped. I did my 3rd best time ever for a 5K, beating my previously 3rd best time from April 10. I did about 10 seconds better. I also got 1st place in my age group!!! :):):)

I was up at 5:15 for the race this morning. The rain had cleared up but it was humid with temps in the 70's. I felt really good but I was over a minute slower this morning. I also got 1st place in my age group!!!

I really like both of these races. Remember ~ these are South Georgia races with small attendance. I'm not that fast of a runner, I'm just running in small races.

I'll be back later...have to put down some pinestraw in the yard.

Congratulations Jane! Good for you winning your age group! I'm glad it was fun and you didn't get rained on! The girls running the Flying Pig in Cincinnati are getting poured on! At least they won't be hot!

The humidity always slows me down! I don't know if I could run in the South anymore after 7 years in NE! They complain about "humidity" up here, but it's nothing compared to NC and GA!

Enjoy your Saturday!

Hi ladies,
Yesterday I did Bum Bum Rapido and High and Tight. I also took the dogs to the orchard for a short run. Today was an active rest day - yoga this morning and a 2 mile walk with the pups.

Jane ~ Great job on your races! Small races are fun and placing in your age group is cool even if you know it was a tiny group.

Tricia ~ Mmm, bread. Its definitely a trigger food for me. Warm with lots of butter - yummy!

Hi Alisha and Cindi!
Lisa

Congratulations Jane! Good for you winning your age group! I'm glad it was fun and you didn't get rained on!

The humidity always slows me down! I don't know if I could run in the South anymore after 7 years in NE! They complain about "humidity" up here, but it's nothing compared to NC and GA!

Enjoy your Saturday!

Thanks Tricia!

The humidity slows me down but it doesn't bother me that much anymore. I worked out at a fitness boot camp for a couple of years and we worked out at 5:30pm in an old warehouse without air conditioning. That really got me used to the heat.

I wanted to go to the track today to run bleachers and do some sprinting but it was locked for some reason. So I ended up running 4 miles today!

Lisa ~ I never won anything in my life so winning a medal or two at a small race is always fun for me especially when it has to do with running.

Hi to Cindi, Tricia and Alisha!

Hope everyone is having great day!

Hello everyone!

Did 6.3 miles this morning alongside the marathoners (I forgot there was a race today). I find myself checking everyone's feet these days! Not a one had minimalist shoes or were running barefoot, but we did pass another casual runner who had a pair of Vibrams on!

Other than that, I spent my day baking sourdough bread. These loaves came out much better than my first! The sour flavor still needs to develop some more, but that will come in time and it still isn't baking up as holey as I would like. It did have a beautiful crust and a light chewy dough! I'm getting better and making progress!

Yoga tomorrow for me!

Hi ladies,
Yesterday we were going to go climbing but when we got to Ship Rock it was sitting in a cloud. The rock was too slimy for lead climbing so we went for a hike instead and checked out all the great wildflowers blooming right now - serviceberry, red trillium, mayapples, Canada mayflower, showy orchis... Then we went and ate pizza and called it a day. Today I did BBL's Sculpt and just the standing bandwork from High and Tight.

Tricia ~ Your breadbaking sounds like so much fun!

Jane ~ I know what you mean! I won my age group once and was so thrilled even though I wasn't breaking 10 min miles for a 5 K.

Alisha ~ How was your jog?

Cindi ~ Congrats on the pain-free miles!

It's soggy here today. I'm supposed to teach dog class tonight and really hope that it clears up because we were rained out last week. I also would like to take the dogs for a run or walk since they are stuck waiting in the car for me today. We'll just see how things go though.

Lisa

Hi Everyone!

This is the workout I'm doing today.

Crazy Eights

Do 8 reps of the following exercises for 8 rounds

Kettlebell Swings x 8
Kettlebell Push Press x 8 right/8 left
Kettlebell 1-arm sit ups x 8 right/8 left
Kettlebell Rows x 8 right/8 left
Push ups x 8
Kettlebell High Pull x 8 right/8 left
Figure 8's x 8
Pullover Kettlebell Sit ups x 8

Tricia ~ I LOVE Bread!!! Bread baking is tricky. I'm glad you had better success this time around.

Cindi ~ Congrats for running pain-free!!

Alisha ~ Hope you had fun on jog/yoga!!

Lisa ~ Fingers crossed that you don't get rained out!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Happy May 3rd!

Yes, I'm just getting into bread making. I love it! I'm so proud of myself for creating my own wild yeast starter and getting some lovely sourdough loaves out of it yesterday! I just can't do this every weekend, because of the time it takes and, even more than that, the weight I'd start putting back on! Yikes!

Alisha - Come on over! There's plenty of bread right now!

Cindi - Great news that you're still pain free!

Lisa - Your hike sounds like it was tons of fun! What a wonderful and educational way to spend the day!

Jane - Feel free to head on over with Alisha for some of that bread! What a workout! Looks tough!

Did my first day of yoga today! Luckily, Yoga Today had a beginner Kundalini class for this week! Yippee! I still don't do enough of it to be very good yet, so anytime they have a beginner level class, I try to use it! Tomorrow I'm going to do an easy cardio - maybe Basic Step or something, just to get in some cardio, followup with some abs and stretching. By the time I finished my errands today after work, it was too muggy and late for a puppy walk as I still had to get the trash out and kitty litterbox day, etc. The pollen is bad. I've been getting stuffy in the late evening with a mild headache for the last few days. Ick.

Time for dinner! Burritos with ground turkey and vegetarian refried beans - and, of course, lots of hot sauce and crushed red pepper! Yummy!

Last edited:
Good morning!

Bread = YUMMY! King Arthur is coming on Thursday so we will be making bread this weekend. I love making bread and did go through a phase when I was working with a starter. You are right, Tricia - it's easy to pack on the pounds! Here are some bread varieties I made with my starter that you might want to try:

- Walnuts with raisins (classic)
- Candied ginger with almonds
- Chopped dark chocolate. I'm telling you there is nothing better than sourdough studded with dark chocolate and warm from the oven.

Last night was spin with abs, this morning I ran 2 miles and will run 3 tonight. I'm trying to get used to running twice a day and will build up my mileage over the month.

Hi All,

I'm going on a 3-4 mile run this evening if it stops raining. If not, I'll do some other kind of cardio.

Cindi ~ OMG!! That sourdough bread with chopped dark chocolate sounds wonderful!! I can smell it now!!! :)

Tricia ~ Sounds like you had fun with yoga! I haven't done much of it but I know I should to keep flexible. Have fun with your bread making. I used to do lots of it when I was younger, then got a bread machine and then got rid of the bread machine because I never used it. Now I know where to go to get homemade bread! :p

Hi to Lisa and Alisha!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi Everybody!

I'm not doing much of anything. I had my normal gyn check up and they informed me I was delinquent on my tetanus shot so I got that. Well, it makes your arm sore for three days. So here I am no violin, no piano, no yoga (no down ward facing dog), no weed eating, no laundry, no dishes (hey this ain't so bad!) I might be allowed to do some meditation/breathing, light walking, and plenty of work on the computer.

Hi Jane, that looks like a good workout.

Tricia- looks like a great yoga workout!

Cindi- Thats so exciting about King Arthur! Wish I was in your class!

Lisa- That sounds like a great climb.

Hi everyone!

You are all invited for bread making and eating, especially the eating part! I love the idea of dark chocolate chunks in the sourdough! Mmmmmm, I'm going to have to try that next time! The ginger/almond also sounds really good! I love ginger!

Cindi - Have fun with King Arthur! Hope your runs go well today!

Jane - I hope you get your run in tonight! I don't do enough yoga either. I know I should do more, but now that I'm working out in the morning, I can't bring myself to take up my evenings with more workouts! Wish I had more time in the day, but some of us have to work full time!

Alisha - Did your MD tell you not to be active after your tetanus shot? Even still, makes for a great excuse not to do household chores! LOL! Maybe that was my problem with the flu shot! I still can't believe it took 2 months to resolve!

I'm really dying to do some more intensive workouts this week! I'm trying to decide what to pull out for tomorrow. IMAX? KPC? LM? Not sure yet! I need to burn some cals! I'd love to run, but am a bit leary of getting out there so early before it lightens up some.

Have a great night! Tomorrow's hump day!

BTW, update: DH had a job interview today with Brown University's investment department. Send good energy that he gets a call back tomorrow for a second interview! He thought it went well, but you know how that goes sometimes!

Hi ladies,
I've had a rough day and haven't worked out yet. Took the dogs for a very short walk. Getting a migraine so don't know if I'll work out tonight or not. I'm trying not to stress out over things I can't control. I might just go home and go to bed early.

Alisha - I hope your arm gets better quickly.

Tricia - I gain weight just smelling bread :)

Jane - I hope it stops raining long enough for you to run.

Cindi - Have fun with King Arthur!

Lisa

Hi ladies - did some speed intervals last night (3.5 miles total) Weights tonight.

Lisa - I hope you feel better. Migraines are rough, my mom gets them.

Tricia - Hoping your hubby gets another call! Seriously, you have to try the chocolate in the bread. The crusty/chewy sourdough with the sweet/bitter chocolate is just incredible. Use a dark chocolate. When I was on a big bread baking kick a few years back - people at work would beg me to bring it in. Slightly warm is best so the chocolate is soft.

Jane - did you get your run in?

Alisha - I'm probably due for a tetanus (don't tell my dr!). Hope your arm is feeling better.

Enjoy the day everyone. Later this afternoon I have to stop by the school and get the last of the supplies packaged up for the kids. Tomorrow is the big KA DAY!

Good Afternoon!

I didn't go running last night. The rained stopped but I live on a dirt road, surrounded by dirt roads that are currently being paved. I got home alright but didn't want to go out again in the mud. So instead I did the following workout. This was fast and fun but boy was it humid. I was dripping after this one.

5 Rounds
1 minute jump rope
1 minute squats
1 minute swings
1 minute rest

Tonight I'm running.

Cindi ~ My mouth is watering for some of that bread! Have fun with KA tomorrow! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Lisa ~ {{{Hugs}}}. I hope you feel better today!

Tricia ~ What's on tap for today? I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for your hubby! I hope he hears back from them.

Alisha ~ Enjoy your rest while you can. I'd milk the dishes thing for as long as I could! Hope the arm is feeling better!

Thanks everybody, my arm is oddly numb. So weird. I am sure I will be back to normal in a couple of days. I'm not doing any yoga cause I can't manage a down ward dog one sided:D

Tricia- I'm glad you can at least do something now and your arm finally got better.

Jane- I live in a rural area and my track is dirt, I don't run in the rain, it would be more like ice skating off a cliff.

Lisa- I hope your headache is gone.

Cindi- be sure to tell us all about your fun day

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.