New Runners April 2010

RapidBreath

Cathlete
Its April. When I was a teenager I used to call my Dad and in this very serious voice say, "Dad, I'm pregnant" then in my Dopey normal voice "APRIL FOOLS!" I don't do that anymore cause now he would just be happy lol and its less fun if you haven't induced a minor heart attack (or it used to seem that way.)

Yesterday I did a Kimberly Spreen: Absolute Kick boxing dvd and the reviews online weren't very good but I liked the disc. I was in my 150s most of the time and it was low impact and fun. The time just flew by. I plan to buy this one. I got it from Netflix so you can preview before you buy if you want to try it. The back up exercisers were less than perfect which made me feel awesome:eek:

Today I'm planning on Cathe Step Moves.

I'm not perfect with the eats this week. I had a piece of birthday cake, it was my brother's birthday and I made the cake. I did take my enzymes and stopped after one small piece. I was within limits on calories and carbs but I don't want this to become a habit. I need to work on how I behave when I first wake up. I used to always workout first thing and I think that I need to go back to that, even though I don't have to due to a job. Maybe morning exercisers do better because they are awake by the time they get to the kitchen;)

Tricia- I think I'm going to try making tamales, they sound so good! I'm so sorry about your biscuit fiasco! I hope the flooding has stopped. That exhaustion you felt might have been an electrolyte imbalance (salts such as potassium and sodium.) I hope you feel better.

Lisa- Hi! Its really cold here too, just up the hill it snowed the last two nights. I love the doggie pix!

Jane- I hope your mom is doing well, I do keep her in my prayers. I hope things are ok at your job.

Cindi- Did your kids enjoy their Spring break?

Hi to all you lurkers, I sense cheesy pouf breath but I can't smell it, its too cold to smell much of anything.

Ha ha! I love it. When I was scrolling down the new posts, for a moment I thought you were really announcing you were pregnant :D!

No workout today. I led puppy class with 9 new puppies. Very exhausting. Tomorrow I drive to the beach and ride 4 rides in three days, see Andy occasionally and drive back home to teach advanced obedience Monday night. Woo hoo!

Its getting warm here. Supposed to be downright hot in Hatteras. Hope everyone is doing well.
Lisa

Hi Everyone,

I did Monday's workout tonight.

Max rounds in 30 minutes

Kettlebell Swings x10
Push ups x10
Kettlebell Walking Lunges x20
Kettlebell Rows x10 (each side)
Kettlebell Thrusters x10 (each side)
Slasher to Halo x10
Kettlebell Pull/Catch/Squat x10
Kettlebell Sit up/reach x10
2 Driveway runs after each round

Alisha ~ love your April Fool Story! Thank for keeping mom in your prayers. It's a week since her surgery and she is doing great!!!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Hi Everyone!

Alisha - I know what you mean about morning workouts! I'm at one week and one day and it makes me feel so much better! Plus, I'm stress-free in the evenings! Yay! As for tamales, I'm still working on the texture of my masa, but I have the flavor down pat! Yummy!

Great April Fool's! I was never any good at it, but was always susceptible! LOL!

Electrolytes!!! I hadn't thought about that! This happens occasionally and I never cued in to that! I'll have to remember for next time! Thanks!

Lisa - Wow! 9 new puppies! It must have been fun, even if it was exhausting! Enjoy Hatteras and the warm weather!

Jane - Nice workout! Glad to hear your mom is doing so well! You are all still in my thoughts and prayers as well!

Happy Easter everyone! Enjoy your holiday weekend if I don't "talk" to you before Sunday!

Alisha ~ I have to admit the cheesy pouf breath was mine. In my dash from people classes to dog classes, a bag of cheetos counted as dinner. :eek:

Tricia ~ It is but they are lots of fun! The only hard part is I know there are people I won't be able to get through too and that's hard. Oh well, lots of puppies for me to hug. :D

Hi Everyone!

The weather has gotten very warm here, very fast. I was dripping after last night's workout, not that I mind. The pollen here is terrible though. It was just hanging in the air.

I am going for a 3 mile run after work today.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hi Everyone!

I hope all of you are enjoying beautiful warm, sunny weather! We are! Yay!

Went for a run this morning and was going along great with Peanut bringing up the rear and my left foot started hurting on top and just to the right of middle. It felt like it needed to pop, but wouldn't. I kept going until I got in at least 3 miles, then had to stop and walk the rest. What a bummer! Such a gorgeous day!

I'm hoping this works itself out today because I want to get another run in tomorrow morning! I hate when this happens! I'll get DH to massage it later and see if it resolves.

Jane - Hope you enjoyed your run yesterday!

Everyone have a wonderful Easter weekend!

Happy Easter!

I did go for a jog/hike this morning. I would have run more but I ended up needing a pit stop half way out and sort of walked fast the rest of the way:p
Eats should be much easier in the next week, I don't have any real challenge days ahead. We aren't doing a major thing for Easter. I might weigh in (if I have the guts:eek:.)

With me its not cheesy poufs its chocolate breath.:eek:

Tricia- I'm sorry your run didn't work out real well.

Lisa- Thats so exciting about the puppies. I love puppies.:)

Jane- I am so glad your Mom is doing ok.

Hi lurkers! (if you are out there)

Hi Everyone!

Today I did Cathe's Pyramid Upper Body. I'm already feeling it. Tomorrow will be a 7 mile run early. We are going to Mom's for brunch but we are bringing all the goodies.

Mom continues to improve. I took her grocery shopping this morning and she did great! She gets the staples out on Monday.

Tricia ~ I hope your foot feels better and that you are able to go running tomorrow.

Alisha ~ I love CHOCOLATE...but lately I just take 1 small square of 85% organic chocolate.

Hi Lisa and Cindi! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Happy Easter!

Its the bunny hop day. Yesterday, me and the fam went for our annual tax appointment, I am happy to report a 200 dollar refund:p I have decided to set the sweets aside. I know it won't be easy. But, it occurs to me, that those noms are not the noms that point me in the right direction. So, starting tomorrow, even if I want a nibble I'm not going to do it. I'm just going to do something else (except play on the internet which is my other vice:eek:)

I'm taking today off due to a stomach bug. Both myself and my brother got something nasty and look about the color of a white sheet. I anticipate being back at it tomorrow.

I hope everyone is well and has a wonderful holiday,

Alisha

Happy Easter Running Fans!

I'm out of commission today as well. My left foot is really tender today, so no run. : ( I'm hoping it clears up by next weekend! I can handle my weights this week, but running is out of the question until this gets better. Maybe some Ibuprofen and ice will help.

Enjoy Bunny Day!

Hey ladies,
I drove down to Hatteras Friday morning and have done nothing but ride since. I rode Friday afternoon, Saturday am and pm, and am going out again this afternoon. I did get in a nice 3 mile walk this am.
Lisa

Happy Easter ladies! Spring break is winding down.

We had a good week. The kids short-sheeted my bed April 1 - too funny! We also went hiking to this great park in Illinois - Starved Rock. Beautiful.

We've had great weather this week. Too much eating though - that's the problem when I have time to cook/bake! But tomorrow will be a good day.

Workouts this week were good - lots of spinning instead of running since the heel is still healing.

I'll be back to post more tomorrow.

Hi again! Good morning to everyone.

I brought the leftover chocolate cake to work today - hoping they will eat it all up here. Normally stuff like that goes really fast. :) It was good cake!

Alisha - I like Absolute Kickboxing too. I think Kimberly is good. Great April Fool story! Are you feeling better?

Lisa - Puppies and horse-riding. Sounds so fun.

Jane - so glad to hear your mother is doing so well. My sneezing has started up too. I always get allergies when the flowers and trees start to sprout. It's not too bad - just a lot of nose-blowing in the morning.

Tricia - how is your foot? definitely try the ibuprofen and ice.

Some highlights from our spring break week:
- Saw How to Train Your Dragon - cute movie.
- Some shopping and errand running.
- Bowling - always fun
- Downtown Chicago, took the train, walked a lot, went to Museum of Natural History to see a 3-D dino movie and the new exhibit on Mammoths and Mastadons (cool!)
- Starved Rock State Park - I will try to post a picture or two.
- Easter food fest! Had home-made coffee cake and poptarts before church, then for dinner had Ham, roasted potatoes, green beans, home-made rolls, and chocolate cake for dessert. And for the soup - I made this squash/curry soup that was yummy! From the Food Network Magazine.

Workouts:
Monday - 30 minutes bike, Spin class, abs
Tuesday - Spin class
Wed - Rest
Thurs - 30 minutes bike, upper body weights ,spin class
Friday - Hiking, 45 minutes bike
Sat - Back to back spin classes
Sun - Jari Love weight workout

Oh - and I made this cute scarf for Paul's teacher - it looks like a very long pencil. :)

Hi Everyone!

I went for a beautiful 7 mile run yesterday morning. I was up and out early and it was so nice. Then went to mom's and my sisters and I made her brunch. Today mom gets her staples out and we find out the results of the 2 nodes that they removed (fingers crossed that it was nothing).

This afternoon I'm doing the following workout:
4 Rounds
200m run
Walking Lunges (up and down the driveway)
30 Box Jumps or Step ups
30 Jump Squats

Tricia ~ I hope your foot is feeling better this morning.

Cindi ~ It sounds like you had a good week. I have been to Starved Rock but it was many, many years ago. Thanks for sharing the pictures. You have a great looking family.

Lisa ~ Your Easter sounded great...lots of riding and beautiful weather...what could be better!!

Alisha ~ Hope your stomach feels better!

Hope everyone has a great Monday!

Cindi - What a beautiful area! Love the pics! Everyone looked like they were having a lot of fun! You really like spinning, don't you! Did a lot of that last week! Well, that and biking! If I did that much, I'd need a vacation from my vacation! I have that movie on my Netflix list! My DH would kill me if I took the leftover cake to the office!

Jane - I'm glad your mom got her staples out today! Hope you got some good news too!

Well, after a full day of work, my foot was swollen this afternoon and hurting like crazy! Not enough to put me down, so to speak, but enough that I had to come home and ice it some more! Guess I"m going to have to keep the ice and Ibuprofen up for a few days! What a pain in the a**! I have no idea what happened! If it's an injury, I would think that I would have remembered it! I'm going to try to keep working out and hope it works itself out! I'll ice it in the morning and at night and keep taking the Ibu. If I can't get any relief, then I'll take next week off and continue the same treatment. I was fine until Saturday. It was fine when we took off for our run. I didn't stumble, trip or anything. I'm at a loss . . .

I've got a feeling this is my body telling me I need a rest week, but I have 4 more weeks of STS, then I'M DONE! Why couldn't this wait until then? Sigh.

Alisha - I hope you're doing well and over whatever it is causing your stomach discomfort!

Last edited:
Hi all!

Tricia - I had an odd injury like that on my foot. The Dr. had me wear this 'shoe' that is basically a hard flat bottom that straps onto your foot so you can't bend your foot when you walk. Just stabilizing the foot like that for a few days helped a lot. Hope you feel better soon!

Last night was spin class plus abs and I tried an easy run. 2 miles at a slow pace. Felt a little stiff in the heel but not too bad. And it feels good this morning. So maybe I can ease back into things. Keep your fingers crossed!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.