Men's Locker Room Check-in

kplv2ski

Cathlete
Hey Guys

Just finished the first disk of STS mesocycle one Chest, Shoulders and Biceps. Very intense! Cathe and the girls are really working hard in this one, you can see it. And they are BUFF!! (Is it PC to describe women as buff??) I want arms like HERS!

Over all I thought the workout was very challenging. At first I was able to keep up, but by the end I had to go to my knees for the pushups. I printed out the workout from the workout manager with my 1RM's plugged in for each exercise. The suggested weight to start with was pretty accurate as I got a good burn and had to struggle by the end of of the different exercises.

I haven't done many Cathe workouts before, but the ones I have done where a bit to choreographed for my taste. Not that its bad, Im just not very coordinated :-( Although I do plan to do more Cathe workouts. This weight workout is right up my alley! I really liked the pace of the workout and the choice of exercises. I thought they were very easy to follow and setup. I didn't have to stop the CD much in between sets. Mostly this is because I had pre-setup the weights and steps I would need to perform the sets.

The music at the beginning of the CD sounds like a Sports Center intro. It gets you pumped up to workout. The music during the workout is more in the back ground, I barely noticed it at all. I may add my own track to the workouts.

As I type the clock has just struck mid-night. I almost gave up on starting today. A lot of things happened that got in my way. But I was determined to start and I couldn't wait to get into STS.

How are your workouts going STS or otherwise?

Kevin

Hi Guys,

I've done STS 1 & 2 so far, and I'm going to do #3 later this afternoon. I feel like I'm getting the flow of the workouts and didn't seem to be scrambling as much to find things during the second workout.

I think I'm really going to like doing weights on one day and cardio on another. I sometimes feel like I'm not working hard enough if there isn't cardio involved. I certainly don't feel that way with STS. I injured my achilles tendon in November, and it will be nice to have full days off from cardio. I've probably been overdoing it.

I, too, had to go down to my knees by the end of the push ups. I have the Gym Style Series, and have completed all the push-ups only a couple of times. And that was with extra breaks. It'll be something to work towards. I wouldn't want a workout that I could do 100% right away, anyway.

Hope everyone is enjoying STS as much as I am. Let us know!

Ben

Hi Guys,

Today for Cardio I did P90X Kenpo. I did that workout because I'm already familiar with it and I don't have to learn 2 new workouts in a row. When the weather is better I'll probably bike for my Cardio. I like biking and I'll be participating in the NY TD bank 5 boro bike tour in May so I really need to ride more.

I hope your achilles gets better soon, I sure not doing Cardio every day will help that out.

How are the other guys workouts going? STS or otherwise?

I did STS 3 on Tuesday, and haven't quite recovered yet! (Thursday). It was a very fun, very hard workout. Unlike any leg workout I'd done before. My hamstrings especially are feeling it even two days later.

I did an hour on the treadmill today, and will do STS 4 tomorrow. I really think I'm going to love STS. (But was there any doubt?)

Ben

Hey all!

My STS set is still in NY but I arranged for UPS to pick it up from my friend. Should be here by 2/11... hopefully. I won't be starting STS before 2/3 (gotta do my 1RMs) so it will be interesting to read your posts, so Ill know what "lurks" around the corner for me!!!! :D:D:D

On the shipping costs issue... well, there goes the money I saved on the pre-order:
$210 (STS pre-order) + $125 (UPS shipping) = $335
$332 is the cost of STS now.... :D

Still, It's a good investment, worth the money and wait!

Have you guys thought what you're gonna follow STS up with? I was thinking of doing an undulating periodization with STS...

Chris.

Wow Chris, you are going through a lot to get STS. What do you think slowed the delivery down. We ( or I should say my wife ;-) ) did a pre-order and we got it soon after. I hope you get it soon.

So far it's been a quite a challenging workout! I've had to drop the suggested weight for some of the exercises in the workouts because they were so tough. But as Caryben pointed out, what do you expect...It's Cathe.

I have to confess though, I didn't complete the program for last week. Had some things come up that got in the way. Yes, I know, a true 'Cathelete' would not let this happen. ;-)

It's not a waste though. I was able to preview the workouts and get a good feel for them. I'm going to start again this week.

As to what I'll do after STS....I don't know. This is my first time doing a Cathe rotation and I have my hands full trying to get this off the ground. I'm open to any suggestions. If I like this program I may just do it again.

Chris, what is 'undulating periodization'?

Talk at y'all later.

Hey Kevin!

It sure is a whole process to get something from the US to Greece... According to UPS (which I now officially hate!!!) I should have the DVDs on Feb 12...

I've been doing Cathe for the past 18 or so months and I am quite impressed on the increase in weights I have noticed. I have been doing mainly strength rotations the past couple of months getting ready for STS.

Cathe has planned STS in a linear periodization, meaning you move from 1 month of endurance to 1 month of hypertrophy to 1 month of strength. During an undulating periodization you work endurance, hypertrophy and strength in the length of one cycle (mainly a week or so). Here's an article about it (you can also google "undulating periodization" for more results):

http://www.tonyboutagy.com/images.2/Article PERIODISATION.doc

:D
Chris.

Hi guys,

I've just finished week 2 of STS and it's really everything I hoped it would be. Week two was much easier figuring out weight selection, because I was able to see where I needed to tweak things from week 1.

Chris, the only up side of having to wait so long is that Cathe is starting STS on the 16th, so you'll be pretty close to working along with her. I really think you are going to love it.

The only thing that's hard is that I want to watch the TV more than I can during the workout. During many of the exercises, head alignment is important, so you can't watch then, and in the breaks I am getting the next weight. (I know I should preview, but I haven't). Ah well, such a problem to have...

Ben

Hey all!

My STS is stuck somewhere in a UPS Warehouse in Manhattan since February 9. poor thing... :(
Seems my friend has to fill in a Commercial Invoice in order for the package to leave the US...
I hate to admit it but I am green with envy... although I'm so happy that you guys enjoy it so much! How's the 1RM testing apply to the workouts? Do you modify at all?...
Meanwhile, I was checking my calendar and I will have to move my starting date to March 16, so the first rest week coincides with the Orthodox Easter, when I plan a little 4 day vacation... wouldn't want to cut STS training in the middle. So, maybe that's the upside of the delay...
I'll be anxiously reading your check-ins and reviews!!!
Cheers,
Chris.

Hey Chris,

I didn't realize that you were not in the US. I guess that does make getting STS quite difficult!

Thanks for the links on periodizations methods...very interesting. I'll have to try something like that my next go round with STS....right now it's a challenge just getting this one started.

The 1RM's have been on target. During the workouts I make little adjustments if I think the wieght is too light or heavy. Usually, the 1RM's have been spot on. Sometime when the 1RM calculates a weight that is odd or outside the increments that I have, I'll round up to the next highest. Example; if the suggested weight is 23lbs I'll use 25lbs. It works pretty well for me.

Hey Ben, I find I look at the workouts a bit too, but just to make sure I'm doing it right. Then I go by her voice countdowns of the workout. It seems to work for me.

Hope you get yours soon Chris!

Kevin

Bands really burn

Hey Guys,

How's the workouts going? Being new to Cathe type workouts, I noticed that she uses bands in with the weight workouts.

Those things BURN!!!, For me they are the hardest part of the workouts! I also really love the 1.5 reps during some of the exercises, they give me a really good pump!

I spent the half of last week at my brothers playing golf and eating like a PIG. No working out...other than walking the golf course. That counts for something right? ;-)

Anywho, I'm going to really hit the DVD's hard this week.

KP

Band pumps really fry the muscles... the best "icing" after a hard set!
Hmmm.. I play golf on the Wii... and I count it as working out... so you're better off with walking between holes!!!:D

BTW got the DVDs yesterday (spend about 90 minutes at customs handling the paper work myself and paid about $95 for taxes... I swear it's the last time I ask a favor from a friend... I had SNM send STS to her in NY then arrange for a UPS pick up - another $122 - to have her forward them to me WITHOUT the invoice so I won't have to pay customs duties. So, my friend opens the box, checks that everything is ok and gives UPS the box AND the $210 STS invoice which came with the DVDs!!!!!)
Started the 1RM tests and I set up the squat rack today. I think all is going pretty well and I'm actually skipping tests since many of them are similar (deadlifts - regular and wide stance - on the floor and on the platform, regular and wide grip barbell curls, squats and narrow squats with barbell or dumbbells, chest flys on the ball and on the bench). I am doing two sets for each muscle group every day, and already my shoulders and chest feel it!
Can't wait for March 2, that's when I start the STS rotation, and I plan to do the 5-month one (Meso 1 & 2 twice and Meso 3 just once) so I'll be done by the time I leave for the August vacation.

That's it (and a bit long) for now.

Chris.

LOL,

I LOVE WII Golf. I hold WII golf tournaments with my friends from time to time. Congratulations!!! You finally got your STS! As you pointed out many of the exercises are redundant or if you are used to working with weights you may already know how much weight you can do for 10 reps for that particular exercise. I found that just doing the 1RM's was a workout by itself!

Today was a cardio day, I did P90X Kenpo. When I first started doing P90X rotations I didn't like KenpoX, but now it's my favorate cardio workout!

Kevin

Meso 1 - Day 1

Let's roll!!!!

Wow!.... What was I thinking when doing the 1RM tests?.... I was trembling at the end of every set (last 2 reps were followed by nasty language...) but I decided not to go down from the prescribed 60%.
Thank God it took me a while to adjust the weights for the next exercise because I don't think 30 seconds were enough :D:D:D
I guess next week (I'm doing the 6 month rotation) will go easier...
OK, maybe I couldn't do all those pushups on my toes but I was honestly trying!!!
In an nutshell: Bis and delts ARE fried!!! Chest could use a bit more flys and presses - somehow I feel I get more out of bench/dumbbell presses and flys...
I also did the No-Equipment Abs from Ab Circuits... can't imagine how hard the abs WITH equipment might be!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
That's it for Day 1!

Cheers,
Chris.

Last edited:
Cool dude!!!!

Glad you finally got to start with STS! It is a very intense challenging program. I too thought 30 secs would be a lot of rest time but it's not! For some of the moves, I've barely caught my breath before it's time to workout again!

You think the upper body workout is tough weight until you get to the legs!!! Did the legs on Saturday and I'm still suffering from DOMS!!

Even though I've done moves like that before, I haven't don't usually do so many reps. I workout to feel the burn around 8-10 reps not 15 or 21! It's the mix of aerobic and heavy that is new to me but I like it! ;-) I just finished CSB for the second week. She increases your weight by %5 so make sure you make any adjustments that you might need to your 1RMs this week.

Today was the Road Trip sign up. My wife and I both got in. I'm #63 and she is #37!

KP

3 of us??

I'm glad that there were more guys. It's my first RT and I'd a bit nervous to be the only guy.

Last year my wife went, I wasn't in the RT but I went because I have family in the area. I did go to the Gym and I was impressed with the program that Cathe had for the RT'ers. So this year I figured I'd join in on the fun.

Kevin

Hey guys,

I'm a bit jealous here in MN - someday, though, I'll do a road trip. I'm glad you guys get to go.

I'm one workout away from finishing Mesocycle 1, and am really looking forward to the rest week. I wasn't sure what I thought about taking a whole week off - now I'm very sure I won't mind. I'm at least 10 days away from doing any kind of push up, and that's a good thing.

The leg workouts are almost an aerobic event - I think I sweat more during those than anything else.

I think I'm used to the quick changes during Meso 1 (and of course now it's changing), I wonder how the pace of the others will compare. It sure can't get any quicker.

I've tried all the ab workouts except the partner one, and I almost think the no-equipment one was the hardest. I really enjoyed the weighted ball workout (maybe because it's just 8 minutes by yourself). I have found doing the abs the hardest part, mentally, of the program. I really love the regular STS, but it's hard to find willingness to do the abs. Abs have never been my favorite, and most of the workouts are 17-20 minutes - too long to feel like a quick add on to a workout. Maybe I should just do them at another time.

Ben

Meso 1 - Disc 2

My forearms are killing me!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Ooookay.... One arm row with a 55 lb dumbbell isn't too much now, is it? Not when the 1RM calculator brought up a 1RM of 91 lbs... Still, by the end of the workout I couldn't wrap my fingers around the dumbbell... not with all those one arm rows, horizontal rows and deadlifts. So, I went and bought strap hooks :D:D:D Let's see how next week goes (I'm repeating Week 1).
My tris were fine up until the cross body extensions... major struggle but I pulled through! :eek:
I'm so jealous of you guys being close enough to go to Cathe's RT.... I was jealous last year, too... LOLOLOL Boy those 12 months went by so fast!
2morrow's a KPC day to ease off the Imax I did yesterday... And Saturday will be my first attempt on STS Legs!!! Wooohooooooooo!!!!
Have a great day, guys!

Chris.

meso-1 Disk-5

Wow Guys, Sounds like we are all working hard.

Sorry y'all can't be there, I live about 2 hours from where the RT so it's an easy drive for me. This will be my first RT.

Ben, I wish I was were you are....near a rest week. We sure do A LOT of push ups! I have a hard time with the ABS too, they have always been very hard for me to do. I get to about the second abs exercise before I have to modify. I don't do the abs at the same time as the other workouts. It adds to0 much time for me.

I have never worked done a weight workout with such high reps and so little time between excerises, so every workout expecially the legs are an aerobic event. My legs are still a little sore from the first week of leg workouts!

For my aerobic workouts I'm still doing P90x. Yesterday, I did P90 plyo. I know Cathe has a plyo workout. Actually I'm afraid it will be too hard ;-) I'm planning to preview some IMAX workouts.

One thing that was a little disconserting about changing the workouts every week, is that I can't easily tell what me progress is from week to week by comparing how well I can do the same exercises in the same order.

Usually, I would do the same set of workouts every week, increasing the weight each week till I reached a plateau then change around the type of workouts. Now it changes every week. I think I can get used to it.

Kevin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.