Zumba?

LizC7

Cathlete
Does anyone do the Zumba workouts? My stepmother swears by them. I swear by Cathe. I thought I'd check into it though.

I started taking zumba this summer because my tap teacher got certified in it and she thought I might like it. I do, but it is no Cathe work out by any means. It doesn't get my heart rate up like a step or kickbox video does. But, I really like it and it's new, so I'm enjoying it. There was another thread about it recently, so you may want to do a search and see what that turns up. I think the gist of it was people who do Cathe would find it as a nice add-on, but it's not enough to count as a regular work out, unless it's a light day for you.

anne

To be honest I've never really ever met an instructor that matches Cathe in DVD format or live. I guess she's just a one of a kind sorta thing. Unfortunately I don't live where her gym is located. I'd be there every single day if I did. With that said Zumba involves a lot of hip thrusting latin beat shaking. You HAVE to be able to let yourself go and just "have fun with it." I'm more of a ballet girl myself. I don't enjoy Zumba at all. I don't feel like I have much of a workout doing it, . .I feel more of a workout doing power yoga. Anyhow I'd give it a try. It wouldn't hurt.

I love Zumba. Last night's class had my heart thumping! For me if I put lots of energy into the move it a great cardio workout. If I put moderate effort it is a fun workout.

This Sunday I'll be doing Aqua Zumba. That's another fun one. Give it a try you will love it.

PS: I recently read an article that Zumba is good for your sex life....something about all that hip shaking and thrusting I guess gets the blood going in that direction.

Carmen.

I LOVE Zumba - this coming from somebody who prefers Cathe of course and P90X. The first time I tried it I was in the middle of P90X and I thought there was no way I'd ever be Zumba'ing. I agree with Carmen; if I really suck in my belly and move my hips, and shake it baby shake it :D I get a really good cardio workout. I believe it's a great stress reliever too; every time I go, all of us laugh and have a great time! For me, the more I put in to it, the more I get out of it...like everything huh?

I LOVE Zumba - this coming from somebody who prefers Cathe of course and P90X. The first time I tried it I was in the middle of P90X and I thought there was no way I'd ever be Zumba'ing. I agree with Carmen; if I really suck in my belly and move my hips, and shake it baby shake it :D I get a really good cardio workout. I believe it's a great stress reliever too; every time I go, all of us laugh and have a great time! For me, the more I put in to it, the more I get out of it...like everything huh?

ITA, I think that zumba is a great cardio workout. It really depends on the instructor but I have managed to find a really good one and I sweat buckets and my heartrate is almost as high as it is with my Cathe cardio DVDs.

The first couple of times you go it may not be a great workout because you are learning the ropes, but once you feel more comfortable with it, you can totally get into it and get a great workout.

I have done both live classes and Zumba DVDs in the past. I MUCH prefer the live classes. The DVDs are just "ok." The live classes are GREAT!

Carrie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.