World's fattest mom WTH?

actually, in a way we are. This lady is going to live a lifetime of health issues. diabetes, skin infections, mobility problems. she's most likely to suffer major complications from something due to this size. I really feel that this is also a form of child neglect, or something similar. Is she really a competent caregiver? this child shouldn't be subject to this. very disturbing

oh i agree but i can only hope when she does want disability check that the state will refer to this article and tell she is SOL and maybe take the kid away. i have pretty harsh thoughts about her on the subject but i didn't want to be flamed so i just left it that i can't judge her ;)

kassia

It seems to me that the daughter should be taken into protective custody. This woman (and the man) are no more fit parents than others killing themselves with drugs and other substances. There is NO WAY these people give a crap about the daughter and I doubt they are taking the time to care for her properly.

I take back what I said before. Dr. Phil should talk to this poor child and get HER the help she needs and is going to need and surely deserves. How embarrassing for her... look what my mom is doing to be famous!!! She's basically whoring her fat disgusting self out while killing herself in public.

Okay.... I'm getting too riled up!

i gotta say if you have to sit down to do dishes(second photo) then you are not healthy and do not have ability to move around well. i have to run a kitchen for my paying job and run a household for my non paycheck job. even when i put on 5 extra lbs its hard to have the energy and the mobility to keep up.

i am trying not to get riled up b/c i type as i speak and i can be quite profane and mean but i think we all know where i want to go with a person like this. there are REAL disabled people out there not ones who have eaten themselves that way, and many of those disabled people aren't getting any assistance b/c ppl like this get the help.

i deal with it in my family which is why i am TRYING to be nice but i do have emotional crap tied to a story like this! not that this relative wanted to be big but they didn't do much to prevent the problems they have and guess who foots the bill at the end of the day.

kassia

Wow. At first I was going to say shame on people for criticizing someone's lifestyle that happens to be different from the users' here, but then I read the story and saw her photo. It's one thing to be overweight. It's another thing entirely to be this morbidly obese.

Although it's totally opposite of how I live my life, if it makes her happy, I wouldnt have a problem with it, but I have to wonder if this truly makes her happy, or if she's just too deep into the problem to worry about getting back out. But if that were the case, why would she be trying to gain? :confused: Why someone would want this is something I just cannot comprehend.

Although I feel very strongly for the mother, my heart goes out even more for her daughter; this "mother" is going to rob her of her childhood, I worry, and it seems that because the mother's mother promoted obesity, this woman is likely to pass it along as well. It sounds as if this woman wants this lifestyle, then she probably has a lot of other mental issues as well... and that's no way for a child to grow up, with a severely mentally affected mother.

My father weighs approximately 225 pounds, and he is a very happy person (except when he has to prick himself for his Type 2 Diabetes), but there's a big difference between 225 and 1000.

This is sad. :(

Yes, I would normally not be happy for people dogging on obese people because it is a tough life, and dogging on the does not help. This woman however is purposely trying to make herself morbidly obese, and claiming to be healthy even though she cannot walk without a chair, and soon will probably be bed ridden. The poor kids.

I think in fact, the woman is disabled- she clearly has mental health issues. Rather than tear her apart, perhaps she deserves the same sympathy we give other women and men with mental health disorders. I know that seeing fat people tends to bring out the worst in us- we see fat as disgusting, gross, etc. and rip the person to shreds, call them all kinds of names and really, take their humanity away from them. Is she doing a disservice to her daughter? You bet. Is she mentally responsible for her actions? Not enough data. But you know, millions of people smoke, and thereby teach their kids it's good to smoke and millions of people die from it. Those people are rarely treated with the same contempt I see here for what is essentially simply a fat woman with mental health issues.

Some people on this forum seem to like me, at least, to the extent to which they know me. But only three years ago I weighed 110 lbs more than I do now. By losing weight, did I all of a sudden become less disgusting? More capable of being a caring mother, should I have children? When I was heavier, was I deserving of your contempt? Should I have expected your visciousness and hung my head in shame?

Some people on this forum seem to like me, at least, to the extent to which they know me. But only three years ago I weighed 110 lbs more than I do now. By losing weight, did I all of a sudden become less disgusting? More capable of being a caring mother, should I have children? When I was heavier, was I deserving of your contempt? Should I have expected your visciousness and hung my head in shame?

Morningstar,

The simple answer to all your above questions is "NO." However, there are huge differences between your actions and hers. I don't have problems with anyone who is overweight or obese (been there, done that, still working on it myself) The issue for me is that she is hurting her daughter - setting her up on a life of destructive habits and risking losing her mom early in her life, or being forced into becoming her mom's caregiver when things get really bad, thus losing her own teenage fun years. You do have to admit, it is very odd to see someone trying to gain huge amounts of weight, unless they are recovering from an illness. And I agree she probably has some mental issues as well, but we can't help those who don't want to be helped.

Who knows, maybe she really does want help, and this is a huge cry for it? I don't know her, that's for sure. I thought it was an interesting article. People fascinate me. Especially people who are different from me - who knows what you might learn? Good, bad or somewhere in between.

Also, been meaning to tell you, I love your screen name. When I was a kid, I loved My Little Pony, and Morningstar was my favorite. Don't know if that has anything to do w/ your name, but it makes me smile:)
Look - she was one powerful little pony
http://www.mlptp.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=548&pictureid=6525

Nan

Also, been meaning to tell you, I love your screen name. When I was a kid, I loved My Little Pony, and Morningstar was my favorite. Don't know if that has anything to do w/ your name, but it makes me smile:)
Look - she was one powerful little pony
http://www.mlptp.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=548&pictureid=6525

Nan

LOL- nope, my screen name is a play on my real name, and the fact that I like to get up crazy early to work out. Gotta say, though, I wish I had her healing powers right now - they'd really come in handy!

Morningstar,

The simple answer to all your above questions is "NO." However, there are huge differences between your actions and hers. I don't have problems with anyone who is overweight or obese (been there, done that, still working on it myself) The issue for me is that she is hurting her daughter - setting her up on a life of destructive habits and risking losing her mom early in her life, or being forced into becoming her mom's caregiver when things get really bad, thus losing her own teenage fun years. You do have to admit, it is very odd to see someone trying to gain huge amounts of weight, unless they are recovering from an illness. And I agree she probably has some mental issues as well, but we can't help those who don't want to be helped.

See, I guess that's the thing for me. There isn't a huge difference between my actions and hers - it's just a matter of degree and the fact that I don't happen to have a child. I was very fat, unhealthy, never exercised, was bulimic for twenty years, hated myself, hurt other people terribly while trying to escape my own pain and actually thought I was a fairly mentally stable individual. I wasn't as fat as her - but again, that's a matter of degree. I didn't have my own child to hurt, but I hurt others very much. None of us know her, so it's easy to call her names and tear her apart. I bet it's harder for you guys to do that to me, even though some of you don't like me and even though you've only gotten to know me through a forum. The more we get to know someone, the harder it is to hate them.

I am asking for us to view her with some compassion - for her pain, for her mental health issues, for not knowing how to appropriately handle her pain, for not knowing how to be a good mom to her daughter, for not knowing how to get through this life with grace, honour and dignity. ALL of us hurt other people and ALL of us that have children screw them up in some way or another. We just tend to forgive skinny people before fat people for their failings.

You also did not go to the media and post on-line and obviously look for monetary gain at the expense of your health. I think that is what bothers me most. I would have the same reaction to someone starving themselves for gain(there are websites like that as well, aren't they). I just cannot see doing all of this damage to yourself for the publicity, the notoriety of having your name in the book of Guiness world records. That is what bothers me.

Heavens knows I struggle with weight and certainly would not display myself all over the place with it.

You also did not go to the media and post on-line and obviously look for monetary gain at the expense of your health. I think that is what bothers me most. I would have the same reaction to someone starving themselves for gain(there are websites like that as well, aren't they). I just cannot see doing all of this damage to yourself for the publicity, the notoriety of having your name in the book of Guiness world records. That is what bothers me.

Heavens knows I struggle with weight and certainly would not display myself all over the place with it.

But again, that's is because you don't have that particular mental health issue. And you don't know what horrible things I have done - trust me, posting on a website and looking to gain money off my ill health would have been a step up from some of the crap I did.

Not to say we shouldn't be disturbed by this woman's choices; clearly these are not healthy choices for anyone to make. I'm just worried about the level of hatred I see pointed at her.

I just feel sorry for the children. They have no choice in being a part of what she and the boyfriend are doing. That is just not right and I reserve the right to be angry at them for that. Just as I get angry at stories of other physical abuse surface on the news.

I just feel sorry for the children. They have no choice in being a part of what she and the boyfriend are doing. That is just not right and I reserve the right to be angry at them for that. Just as I get angry at stories of other physical abuse surface on the news.

I'm sorry- I didn't mean to suggest you weren't entitled to your emotions. Getting angry and feeling empathy for her children are more than reasonable responses to the situation, but even if they weren't, your emotions are yours and I hope I didn't make you feel bad about them.

Morningstar,

The simple answer to all your above questions is "NO." However, there are huge differences between your actions and hers. I don't have problems with anyone who is overweight or obese (been there, done that, still working on it myself) The issue for me is that she is hurting her daughter -

Agree! Morningstar, I know you said you feel like the differences between her and you are all relative, but I really disagree. I realize I don't know you but even the fact that you are being so hard on yourself now speaks volumes. I feel like the intentions are everything here. I don't get the feeling that you were proud of your previous lifestyle. Even drug addicts who do awful things to people they love usually aren't doing it as part of some long-term goal they've set up.

I agree bias against overweight people exists. But I don't think it's fair to judge the reactions to this woman in the context of everyday thin vs. overweight as this is such an extreme case. I honestly believe that a dangerously underweight anorexic woman going for "world's thinnest mom" would elicit the same reaction.

I think you have a good point on the mental illness aspect. I guess certain people (like you) are born with a level of empathy that others (like me) are not. Some people see a woman potentially suffering with a mental illness, others just see a sh**** person. Not saying I'm proud of it, it's just the truth.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.