Workout Warriors Sept... and Back into It!

Heather is certainly sounds like you've been working your body pretty hard! Blisters :eek: Hope it heals up fast. When do you find out the tryout results? We got baseball faster than usual this year. Only about a month, but then we don't start indoor practices until after the first of the year.

Today was 4DS Boot Camp. Really is it necessary to have squat thrusts with push-ups in the warm-up! I was looking ahead in the rotation and next week is nothing I would ever have come up with. Two leg workouts, all three MMA's plus other cardio and no upper body weight work at all.

We're slowly settling into our school routine. Need to adjust some of the schedule though as we're thinking of ways that will make it flow better. Beautiful, sunny day here today. Wish it would stay like this all the way through the fall.

My Mom did fine at her appointment and they'll find out when her appointment with the cancer doctor is soon.

Hi Everyone!

Between the lingering cough from this cold, hormone related insomnia, and my new puppy - I am really low on sleep. Combine lack of sleep with preparing for my son's 21st birthday (a 10 course Indian meal), plus bringing the puppy home, and what you get is - I haven't exercised -at all - since last week. YIKES! I had PT, she gave me additional exercises using a dyna band, I plan on doing them starting tomorrow.

We have named him Rowan. He is the most active of the litter. He will make a great running partner when he is older and I am able to run again.

Here is a link to pic of us taken by the breeder on the day I picked him up. http://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzycyn/4992613499/

Heather - are you still using chalk? Blisters are the worse...sweaty hands, movement, iron....that perfect formula for blisters, I am sure working in the garden didn't help. Keep posting your workouts, I am inspired by them and aim to get back to it!

Cathy - I am glad your mom is doing better. My eldest son had a palatte expander too - he refers to it now as "that medieval torture device". Good luck with the birthday boy. We made ours "work" for his with an elaborate and sometimes difficult treasure hunt. My middle ds put the puzzle together - it was brilliant and a lot of fun for us to participate in.

MJ - I hope work is treating you well and you are getting your tennis drills in. Winter will be here soon - you gotta soak it up while you can.

Tara - How are you and your daughter doing?

:D:D

Last edited:
Janis I've had my share of those hormone related sleep difficulties, but thankfully mine seem to be phasing out now. I'll be glad when they finally go away completely, but for now I'll take be happy with the fact that they've become rare.

Rowan! I named the stray and very skittish cat that hangs around Sir Rowan. He comes after dark to eat, but will let no one approach him. :( I certainly hope that yours passes through all stages with minimal amount of damage to your possessions. ;) Off to check out his pic in a minute.

Sounds like your 21st birthday party is going to be far more elaborate than ours. I'm making a cake to go with ice cream and we still have to figure out a meal. Cooking is not my strong point and my preference is one or two course meals. :rolleyes: We do hide presents, but that's as complicated as we get. He's got a sheet of paper on his desk and he keeps going in and updating how many hours until his birthday. Actually midnight tonight, not his birth time. Even mentioned the possibility of setting the timer for midnight which I nixed immediately. Spoil sport that I am. :D

Today I was supposed to do IMAX 2, but I did it fairly recently, so I pulled out Cardio Core Circuit and did the Express Cardio premix. It just does each round of 3 drills one time and doesn't repeat them and includes the abs. Definitely a fun workout.

No workout yesterday. Lots of things involved in that and I'll skip the details. It was Nick's birthday and we got an early start as DH stayed home. So we did presents around 8:00. Lunch from Subway, then we played his new Bugopoly game. Which of course he won. Playing games is pretty much the only thing in life where he throws caution to the wind and it generally pays off for him. Then cake and ice cream (I skipped the ice cream, but had cake). Overall he had a really good day.

This morning I did 4DS LIS. Definitely got my shoulders worked in that one! Looks like another dreary day here today. Lots to do though, so maybe I won't notice the lack of sun!

Hey Everyone
I feel like I am in a whirl wind! I am self employed and this time of year can get a little crazy! Yesterday I had planned on working out when I got home but I got home at the same time as the kids and by the evening my legs were completely stiff. At first I couldn't figure it out - I couldn't even do a quad stretch my knees were so tight. Then I realized that because I had been working in the rain all day and my pants were cold and wet - and combine that with the Monty Python funny walk I had to do walking through the tall soybeans all day my legs were fried.

So today I only had half an hour but I did another High Volume swing workout BEFORE I left!
Here it is
WU: Ususal!
WO: I took a 1 min rest between each set. It was 10 of each swing type for a total of 50.
H2H R L R L
H2H R H2H L H2H
R H2H L H2H R
L H2H R H2H L
Repeat all 4 rounds
Then 40 swings/round with 1 min rest
H2H R H2H L
Repeat and then I tacked on another 20 to make an even 500 swings
Total time 23:29
Then I ran out the door!

Oh, yeah We are going to a cottage for a few days so I won't be checking in but I will be hopefully torturing my sister!!! with body weight workouts

Cathy - Sounds like a fun birthday!! SO is that what he wanted? Did he wake up at midnight as planned?

Janis - Your dog is so sweet! And what a beautiful picture of you! I a, totally impressed with your ambitious 10 course Indian meal (are you a crazy lady??? - I love Indian food!!!). I have a feeling that in the long run that you will do better if you take your time getting back up to where you were at before... actually maybe you don't want to be there in the end, as that was not so good injury wise! Here's to finding the new level!

Gotta run
Heather

Heather exactly why were you spending the day walking through tall soybeans? Nick loved his birthday and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the whole day. And no he didn't wake up at midnight, but he did wake up early! Then the next morning they both slept until almost 8:45. So, did your sister survive your torture?

Saturday was my rest day and then today I did MMA Boxing. Then got to go sit through two of the worst umped games I'd ever seen. So glad we'll be back at our home field next weekend. The guy who runs our club doesn't tolerate bad umping and we were playing at a neutral field so it's not like the umps had a home team to help out even. Derek is the team bat boy and they had a few guys not show up today, still had enough to play, but the coach let him play the second game. So, he batted twice and played an inning at right field. He looks absolutely hysterical with the big guys because he's 9 and very short and some of the team is 12 and a few already 13. They all think he's wonderful though and we're really enjoying the fact that he was playing with them.

My Mom has her appt with the cancer doctor on Wednesday. My Dad e-mailed that she had a major meltdown this morning. The not knowing what will happen is really getting to her. :(

Janis that's a wonderful picture of you and puppy!

Off to take my own very overgrown puppy for a walk around the yard.

This morning was Gym Style Legs. My shoulders are really sore today, so I must have done really well with boxing yesterday! :eek: About two inches down just below my shoulders is soooooo sore! I don't ever remember that area being that sore before.

Later workout tomorrow as I have a 7:30 a.m. appt to get my eyes checked.

Yesterday ended up being a rest day. After sleeping for 5 hours straight, at about 3:30 Sparty decided he needed to bathe. A swear I could have a dozen cats on the bed washing themselves all night long and sleep through it, but not him! He is the noisiest bather I've ever been around. I never got back to sleep after that and had a early morning eye appointment, so I skipped the workout.

This morning I did Athletic Step.

Summer is going out with a bang here. Yesterday was over 80 and sunny, today is supposed to be low 70's and then tomorrow back up over 80 for the start of fall. Enjoying it while it lasts.

MMA Fusion this morning. Going to be over 80 here today to kick off fall. Hopefully, a nice warm fall this year. :D

My Mom met with the cancer doctor yesterday and is not handling it well. The recommendation is 6 intense weeks of chemo and radiation and then 13 weeks of once a week chemo. I think I have that right. Her initial response is that she's not doing anything, which my Dad of course is really considering unacceptable. They want her farther from her surgery before starting, so she has 2-3 weeks to decide. My Dad's brother and wife are visting for a few days over the weekend and then my parents are going up north for a few days. At least my aunt and uncle aren't staying there this time. They are very difficult people to be around. Especially my uncle who alternately spends his time complaining or on his cell phone talking to numerous friends while basically having the same conversation over and over with all of them. Last year they stayed and my Mom was going totally nuts trying to deal with him. He better be careful this year or in her present mood she may either just let loose and scream at him or knock him over the head with something!

Hey Everyone
I am back from my ... active rest cottage time. My big plans for working out did not happen. It rained alot and when it wasn't I really wanted to go out on the water. So today I am paying penance... Brownie Penance! I finally found a gluten free brownie recipe that is good- problem is that it is SOOO good it is vying for the BEST ever Brownie recipe. At least at the cottage there were lots of people to help me eat them!

WU: Dislocates, pumps, hip openers, wall squats
WO: High Volume Swings from last week
This time the first round I did 45 sec rest between each 50...Wow what a difference! Then I added in another 40 at the end for 540 swings total in 24 min.
CO: 2 Rounds
Airborne Lunge - 5/5 4times only down to step with 2 risers
Low end squats - 10 down to step with 2 risers
Single Leg Deadlift with 20kb KB 10/10

The Airborne Lunge is supposed to be a pre-move to strengthen so that I can work up to a pistol... I have a long way to go!

Cathy - Your Mom has alot going on! Without your Uncle! Dad didn't love chemo but it wasn't as bad as other Chemo sessions that I have seen. I guess though ultimately she gets to choose!
Great workouts!

Janis - How it the puppy? How are your hips? How are things????

Cheers Heather

This morning DH got up at 5 and I couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and did my workout. I am a puddle...literally!
WU: joint mobility, hamstring and hip openers, pumps and wall squats
WO: 10 TGU's 16kg 2/2 12kg 4/4
CO: Marianne's Fat Burning Body Sculpting Super Mix 3 rounds 24min.
Kettlebell Front Squats X 10 Reps
Evil Burpees X 10 Reps
Assisted Chin/Pull Ups X 5 Reps
Hanging Knee/Leg Raises X 10 Reps
Kettlebell Vertical Swings X 10 Reps
Dive-bombers X 10 Reps
Single-Leg Stability Ball Curl (right) X 10 Reps
Single-Leg SB Curl (left) X 10 Reps
STRETCH
I read it wrong and only did 3 rounds...ooops. I am not sure I could have survived another as I was already taxed from the TGU's.

Planning on adding a run in this afternoon...Gotta head off to work!
Heather

Cathy - I forgot to answer your question before as to why I was traipsing around soybean fields - I was setting up field trials for a law firm to do yield loss studies... Good times!

Thanks for the explanation Heather - as a kid, I traipsed around my Grandpa's cornfields, wheat fields and bean fields for fun, but couldn't think of many reasons a non-farmer would do it as an adult. ;) Ponders why cornfields can be one word, but wheat fields cannot.

This morning I did MMA Kick Box. I missed my second leg day, so I may try and get that in sometime tomorrow. I'm not likely to do standing legs, but I could probably do some floor legs - supposed to do Butts & Guts, so I could do the premix. DH is taking the boys to the Grand Rapids zoo, so I may have time to myself in the afternoon after I get home from shopping.

Crazy windy here today with wind warnings until midnight and it was like that all night, too. So far no rain, which is fine as we are doing ok in that area.

Do I want to know what an "evil burpee" is? :eek:

Hey guys!!!

I made a mish mosh of Marianne's latest (Kicking Butt - Extreme Glute) and a few more cardio moves. All I have to say is that I should NOT have added to Marianne's workout. I was actually starting to wheeze at one point!!! I had to add 2 min breaks between each round! My lower back started to freak out after the Weighted Glute raises on the bench so I went to the floor and did the next round no weight and then next round both legs together with 20lbs. No need to go down the lower back pain road again!

WU: dynamic hamstring stretch, shoulder rolls, pumps, wall squats and hip openers
WO: 10 min run on treadmill with four 1 min sprints alternating with walking/jogging.
CO: 3 rounds of 10 exercises: 45sec work/ 15 sec rest - 2 min rest between each round
Bulgarian Split Squats on risers and foot on bench R 12,14,13 L 11,14,13
Mountain Climbers 53,53,52
Around the leg (lunge with bell going around thigh) R 25,18,19 L 24,17,17
H2H swings 26,26,23
Glute raises 13,14 20,22 18,19
Figure 8 to Hold - alternating 20, 22, 21
Elevated Push-up 16,17,20

Butt Stretch !!!!!

Cathy - An evil burpee is just like a normal burpee but when you do the push-up as you push-up you bring your legs in and bring your hands off the ground so that you and in low squat. Then jump up in the air. They ARE evil. Hope you have a good day to yourself!!! Sometimes I wonder too why I am walking through those fields but they pay very well!!!

Janis - Are you out there????

Talk to you all soon
Heather

Did nothing this weekend - nothing in the sense of no workouts anyway. ;) The left side of my neck has been bothering me. Way more at night than during the day, so I opted not to do anything and see if it helped. Was slightly better sleeping last night, but still sore. I can feel that the muscles on that side upper back to neck are all tighter than the right side. No idea why though.

This morning I did do High Step Training. That one is nothing but a legwork in disguise! I think if I counted right there are 90 leg presses per leg in that one!

I'm pondering what to do prior to vacation. Not going to do a rotation as I'll only have a week and two days. Was thinking that I might do the routines in the Core Performance for Women book. Have to see if I can renew it through that time. If it seems to be working, I could do that while I'm in FL, too. Would like to get in a lot of walking while I'm there. But, there is a stray dog in the development that hasn't been caught yet and it is NOT friendly. Follows and circles people and not in a good way. Hoping he's gone by the time we get there.

Heather I'll pass on those evil burpees. Sounds like the kind of move that my knees just can't handle.

Nick's team lost both their games yesterday, but he actually was the starting pitcher for the first game. Has barely pitched before and not since July. He got the ball across the plate and wasn't walking them. After the first two guys hit pop-ups on first pitchers, they did end up getting runner on and scoring 3 runs in the two innings he pitched. He's really hoping for more chances to pitch next year. Somehow it's just easier on the parent when your kid is in the field than when they are the one pitching!

Hope you are all out there having fun!

Hello Ladies
Monday yet again.... anyways, this morning I got up and did my workout and actually felt awake and ready to go!
WU: joint mobility, hip openers and sumo squat stretches, dislocates and wall squats
WO: 12 min swings 20 H2H swings 50 jump rope, the last set I did 50 swings 9 rounds total
CO1 3 rounds of
10 Airbourne Squats to step 10 R, 10L
15 Elevated plank Climbers
20 ATG (step) Squats
15 Reverse Crunch with leg lever
15 back raises on Ball
CO2: Snatch tabata mostly with 16kg bell.

Cathy - Do you like the Core performance book? I really like the pre work and the hip stretchs. I have noticed a big difference in my squats doing those before I start to workout. Sometimes a big change is good! Stray dogs can be so un-predictable! I can't believe you are going away in a couple weeks - it seemed so far away last time you talked about it!

Waves to Janis, Tara and MJ
Cheers
Heather

Hi Everyone!

Mega-apologies for being out of touch. I really do not know where all the time went. Puppy, puppy, puppy, to be sure, and then my dh's birthday and the older boys being home for the weekend, plus physio therapy, errands, veterinarian etc. etc.

Right now I am solely focusing on my PT exercises as I was tending to toss them in at the end of Pilates or yoga at not really put my attention on them. Not such a good idea as it turns out. I tweaked my iliopsoas the other day and realized I haven't progressed much at all. What shortens and tightens the iliopsoas the most, for me, is sitting (and driving). So - I have been staying off of the computer as much as I can and moving around more.

Heather - The Indian meal was fun to make, a lot of prep work and planning, and boy, is it ever rich, but my sons loves Indian food. The quantity of courses was to accommodate both vegan and carnivores a like. Your trip to the cottage sounded like fun despite the weather. Your workouts - oh my - I so miss working out at that intensity. How do you set up field trials? Is that the consulting work that you do? When you have audits or give testimony what is it about? Questions questions, curious minds need to know, ya know.

Cathy - A stray dog circling - yikes - that must be unsettling. Do your boys play baseball year around? I've probably asked that before, but somehow I have forgotten and am surprised they are still playing. Having been injured yourself, do you have any thoughts on how I can slowly integrate workouts in to my physio plan without aggravating my issues? I, too, can't believe your Florida trip is just weeks away, did you find a swim suit? Which Core performance exercises are you doing? They have website with a compendium of moves - are there any I should look at?

MJ and Tara, I hope you are doing well.:)

Oh, I set up a flickr acct of my own so the breeder can watch Rowan grow, here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowanredspoo/

(spoo is short for Standard Poodle)

Janis sounds like you have been kept hopping! I can't believe our trip is coming up so fast either. Yikes! No, definitely no swim suit shopping has occurred. I'm thinking shorts and a t-shirt will work just fine. :eek:

I've read part of the core performance book and found a great deal of it to be the same things I've read other places. I am interested in giving the exercises a try though - haven't tried at all yet. When I read over it, my thought was that time wise if I did them, I wouldn't have time to workout and I don't want to give up my workouts. That's why I thought a week or two of doing them would give me an idea of whether trying to fit them in would be worth it or maybe just some of them for certain areas.

When the dog started circling my sister is when she gave up trying to walk. Apparently, some people have been feeding it, but it's not there's and they won't respond to animal control. In their area, if you are feeding an animal you are liable for license fees, and all fines. She says the animal looks just like a dingo and acts totally feral. Sleeps and eat outdoors at the one house and wanders around the development. Animal control has been out, but couldn't catch it. No surprise. A dog that doesn't want to be caught won't be short of a trap or tranquilizer. I know I certainly couldn't catch Sparty outside if he didn't want to be caught!

Janis when I started increasing my workouts, I just went based on when my Dr. told me I should start adding things back in. Maybe your PT can give you some guidance on that. I think every situation is different.

Baseball - seems like it's year round. They started indoor practices in January with optional ones over Christmas break. Derek's season finished at the end of June. Nick's the end of July. Then tryouts first week of August and then Wooden Bat started up August 22nd. His team has one more week of doubleheaders and I don't think they will make the tournament the following week, but we'll go watch. After that nothing until practices after the first of the year. At this point, we've lost our indoor practice spot and need to find another one. We were using an old grocery store, but the hospital owned it and is turning it into their fitness center. With the economy the way it is, there must be another empty warehouse type building around town. The guy running the club is pretty resourceful and knows everyone in town, so something is bound to come our way.

Last night was a bit rough with a monkey that got up and then I couldn't get back to sleep but I did get up to do my workout!

WU: same
WO: TGU's 9 min 16kg 3/3 12kg 2/2
CO: 3 Rounds 30 sec work/15 rest
C&P 16kg alternating 4,4,4
Jumping pull-ups/chin-ups 6,6,6
Bulgarian split squats 20lbs 7/7, 8/8, 7,8
Close Push-ups 9,9,9
Side V-ups alternating 10,12,13
Hamstring Roll in on ball 8/8 9/9 9/9

Then Plank on ball 1 min

So the weather is really yucky today and I went to put on some winter clothes and I had a bit of a rude shock! My mid-section has put on some excess . I am not sure where I am going to go with this but I have to do something! Everything still fits but just doesn't look as nice. Just a little frustrated!!! Maybe I need to add the running back in at higher volumes?

Janis - Your puppy is so sweet! My youngest is really wanting a pet and he thinks that he can persuade us to get a dog... which I would love to do. BUT it would probably kill my oldest and send my DH to the hospital! Puppies can be so much work! Looks like you have the training off to a good start! I think that you are probably doing the best thing by sticking to you physio and making that the priority. I am sure that she can tell you when you are ready to add in other stuff. Glad to hear that things (other than you hip) are going well!
As for my work, I audit research trials in the field anything from field crops to vegatables, fruit trees, grapes, turf usually but really I could be doing the research as well with my background. I basically work as a consultant as well as an auditor so that I could write research reports or do the trials. Since my youngest is in school full time now I will try and add more of that in as auditing kept me busy enough before. I hope that I won't have to go to trial... I won't be doing the analysis so I doubt they would need me. When you set up a trial you need to have the treatments (in this case it was impact of soil disturbance from a pipeline) and a control area. Hope that makes sense.

Cathy - Are the kids pumped for the trip? I had the exact same thoughts reading the Core Performance. I wanted to do the rotation but I wasn't sure that what was there would be enough on it's own.

I need a button to wear today that says "I survived 40/20" :p It actually was funny because I thought I was keeping track of how far we were really well and that I had a one minute rest coming up and another 4 drills to get through and we were done. :eek: I sure do love it when that happens. :D I was supposed to then do abs, but I could see right away that my neck was NOT going to like that at all. :(

Tomorrow is the original Boot Camp and for whatever reason that one has a real dread factor for me.

Heather I've come to the conclusion that my kids can get their own pets when they are adults. So far, every time we've tried that they become mine! And I have enough to do already. Did I tell you guys that a couple weeks ago DH told me to feel free to slap him silly for wanting a dog! I jokingly accommodated him. Should we ever be in the market for another dog, it'll only be if I get my way and we start with a puppy. And given that Sparty is still ONE that will be a long time away and the kids will be grown. And we'll decide we really don't need another one.

And it's yucky here today, too. Fortunately tomorrow when we are supposed to go to the park it's going to be nicer. DH turned the heat on Sunday and we've been using it a bit since. Would have liked to get to October, but it's not worth being cold.

Hey Everyone

It's just a quick one this morning as I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut-off!
WU: lunges, hip openers, pumps, wall squats, joint mobility
WO: CardioCoach5 Barefoot run on Treadmill 40 min (4 mins were warm up and cool down) -Interval sprinting and hills
CO: 100 walking lunges, 150 Band walks, 150 Firewalkers
STRETCH tonight will be a foam rolling night!

BBL ... hopefully!
Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.