Workout Warrior Women, Stronger, Faster and Healing!

lightening16

Cathlete
Hey Everyone

Still waiting on a break in the heat... I am a little afraid as today there are supposed to be thunderstorms and a temp drop... that can mean tornados. I will be on the watch!

Got my run in this morning and I was a little slow, but that's okay it was already 68 and it was 6 in the morning. Then I did 12 min of KBell swings alternating with jumprope, MC's and step-ups. Then I did a ab workout too. I have lots to get done for work today, so I had better get to it!

Cathy - Are you in line for those storms today? SO do you do yoga from a DVD or do you have a routine from your class? I am thinking tonight should be a yoga night! So just on foot likes the Vibrams... I sure the other will join the barefoot party soon!

Janis - Great cheering on the OD forum!

Tara - What is your workout today?

MJ - Are you rollerblading?

Talk to you soon
Heather

Happy Monday Warriors!
(and happy Memorial Day too)

Heather - Are you considering having your son be placed in a mixed grade class again next year? It sounds like he would continue to do well and even thrive with having more challenging work available. Speaking of tornadoes, did you ever find a USB cord so you can download the pics from your phone? Your workouts sound awesome. Keep it up, Tiger!

Cathy - Hey - where are your pics of your teeny-tiny feet in the black Vibrams? Getting a break from the basement workouts is sometimes necessary for the mind and soul. I know I was going stark raving mad using the garage treadmill. Spending the weekend at the baseball field sounds delightful. I would love it. :)

Tara - Way to go on your workouts and getting such high marks on your inspection. You deserve whatever rewards come your way. Have you been enjoying your four days off? What did ya do? Have you had any more appointments with the running coach?

MJ- Tennis?

As for me - well, let's see, I ran on Friday, it ended up being 7.11 miles steady state, Saturday I did Slow&Heavy Chest/Back and then Meso1#12 legs, Sunday I went for a run with the local running club, we did 8 miles.

Morningstar introduced me to NUUN, an electrolyte replacement product, it comes in discs that dissolve in 16 oz of water. After my run, yesterday, I drank an entire 16 oz bottle with NUUN added - it went right down - I really needed it. As a point of comparison, after my 10k race I was sore and my calf was cramping, I'd only had water and some gatorade. After my 8 mile run and NUUN, I was moving around the house full of energy, no soreness, no cramping and I had tons of energy. Who knew? The calf cramp that has been bugging me - GONE! I went to the NUUN website they also have a low dose version for light athletics, I ordered some of those wafers in addition to the regular NUUN.

So Warriors - stay hydrated and add back electrolytes!

Speaking of Morningstar, be sure to read her success story and leave comments too. :D:D

This week is endurance full body workouts. Today I did LIC - the whole disc including the bonus cardio, fun stuff that one. Tomorrow I am running -probably hills at the vineyard, Wednesday I am thinking about a double header of KPC/L&G, Thursday another run and then Hiit-P in the afternoon, and Friday Drill Max followed by some yoga.

Wish I was having some heat! It's still March here.

Let's have an awesome Warrior week!
:D

Last edited:
Heather we definitely got a break from the heat. It's all of 62 right now! Before the rain arrived though it was a nice morning. I got in a 4 mile bike ride. 2 minutes faster than last time and half the route was dirt where as the first time only 1/4 was dirt. So I was definitely riding faster. And today is 2 weeks from my injury. A much faster recovery than the previous time though I'm still holding off on the impact stuff. I didn't do anything Saturday or Sunday, but I did walk quite a bit up at the fields as I parked way back by the woods and made a few trips to the van and the port-a-potties are a bit of a hike, too. It was a beautiful weekend for baseball and the tournament went smoothly. Nicholas' team was 2-1 and they lost out on playing in the championship because of the tie-breaker rules. They actually beat the team that ended up winning, so it was an excellent tournament for them. And Nicholas played 3rd base for 1 1/2 games and he's never played 3rd before. It's not very different than 2nd base though, so he knew what he was supposed to do.

I don't do yoga with a DVD because I've never found one I liked. I either use my book and pick and choose exercises or do the routine the boys got which takes about 45 minutes and consists of warm-up for all areas of the body, sun salutations and then breathing exercises. I've only been doing about 8 rounds of sun salutations, but as an adult I'm supposed to do 21! That would really push it up to about an hour. I still can't quite do a full stretch in down dog on my left side. My heel is still a little bit off the floor as I don't yet have full range of motion in my calf.

Heather your workouts are sounding fun and tough! Janis your plan for the week sounds very ambitious. KPC/L&G in one workout! I bow to you. :) I'm thinking of doing Travel Fit tomorrow morning as it's the only one of the Shock Cardios I haven't done. I'll just need to adjust the cardio portions some.

Janis I'll try and get pics when I get a chance. I'm still catching up on the house after being gone all weekend. I'm still working on getting the left foot to fit better. I keep ending up with lines at an angle across my toes and I don't get them on the right foot.

Waves to MJ & Tara! Off to find Morningstar's story.

Cathy

This morning I did Yoga and abs. My calf was a bit sore, but sore as it worked muscles not hurting. And I was about as close to a full stretch in down dog as you can get without doing it!

Today's our anniversary (14) and since the boys have class this afternoon and Derek has practice tonight, we're going out for lunch.

Enjoy your day!

Afternoon Everyone

The heat has finally gone and we have sun and the humidity over. My DS6 is home today so we painted out side and played superhero's this morning... I think I needed some play time!

Here is my workout:
10 Min TGU with 16/12kg KBell, 3R/3L @ 16 then 7L/7R @12:
Body weight circuit 40sec work/5 sec rest, 18 total Zuzana Workout
Dynamic squats
Sumo Push Up
One Leg Bridge R/L
One Leg Burpee R/L OUCH!!!!
Prisoner Get Up
Tricep Leg Lift
After I did some plank work for 4 min!

I feel great and energized so I am happy!

Cathy - Today was a great morning for yoga! Glad to hear that things are getting better and you are getting to ride... Last year when I was recovering from plantar f and sore calf I did intervals on the bike... it actually as fun. You should check out some of the intervals from Cardio coach (he has the time and exertion level written out) and then try them on your next ride. I wouldn't recommend actually riding with Sean in your ear but if you have an idea before you go then that can work just as well.

Janis - Hope you survived KPC and L&G!

Hello Tara and MJ
Talk to you soon
Heather

Hey Warriors!

I ran this morning, 6 miles at the vineyard. It was a great, great run. I followed it up with a 40 minute Steve Cotter KB workout. The first 20 was 12 reps each of various lifts, the second 20 minutes was timed lifts alternating upper and lower body.

Heather - thanks for listing your workout, it was fun to read. I'm doing my KPC/Leg glute double header on Wednesday. I broke down and bought AOS Providence. I'll let you know what I think.

Cathy - Way to go on your bike ride! Whoo hoo! It is always encouraging to see and feel improvements.

Here's the link to Morningstar's success story. I'm sure she'd love to read your comments. :D:D

http://cathe.com/how-i-got-from-there-to-here-and-where-im-going-next-by-morningstar

MJ - How are you? Should we send out a search and rescue party? Or rather, shall Heather and I come down there and kick some booty? (not yours, of course!!)

Tara - How is your week starting? Someone posted a question on the OD about Murena (sp?) IUD's - I am certain they'd love to hear your insights. :)

Gotta run for now, life is good. :D

Hey Janis if you and Heather are going to Fl, I'm going along. After we rescue MJ, we can all go hang out in my sister's pool and clear out her frig. ;)

This morning I warmed up with yoga, then did a 4 mile ride and followed that up with Travel Fit. I used my coral band and still had one part where I could have used more stretch. It worked fine for the rest of it though. The workout does flow well and moves along quickly and since all the cardio is low impact I was able to do it. Plus during the stretch when she did downward dog I suddenly realized I was actually doing it fully! Probably helped that I'd already done 8 of them during my sun salutations, so it was warmed up well.

Boys are supposed to play baseball tonight, but it's raining now. Looks like we'll get a break for a bit and then more coming. Coach is being optimistic though and sent out the info on arrival time and which shirt to wear.

Janis I can't wait to hear how that KPC/L&G combo works out for you today. I love visualizing what running in a vineyard would be like!

Heather just reading your workout makes me tired!

I'll try and get the pics sometimes today. I have to spend time rearranging things to find a safe place for the shelf with our shoes on it. Sparty destroyed one of my favorite black sandals this morning. Then he didn't go out and get struck by lightening like I wanted - ok not really, but he's definitely not on my good side right now!

Morning Warriors

I managed to get up early today and I had no visitors last night!!! Anyways, today was a 5 parter variety day... just for fun. Parts were stolen from BodyRock, FitMiss and Pavel!!!

Part 1: 6 rounds of 10 Dyamic Push-ups, 10 high knees
Part 2: 8 rounds 50/10 sec: Elevated push-up with knee tucks, Step-up right then Left, Reverse plank with knee tuck
Part 3: 6 rounds of 10 Mountain Climbers with toe touch, 10 Jump Lunges
Part 4: Snatch Ladder 12Kg 3x3, C&P Ladder 3x3
Part 5: 10 Rounds of Squat and Roll back 20lb, Reverse Lunge with Kick R, L, Pistol assisted, Tea-cup squat.
Total work time 34 min
The jump Lunges killed me! I tried to make sure that my knee was right down almost the ground but my right knee was crying.

Cathy - That Sparty!!! How old is he again? Hopefully the puppy in him will be gone soon. I had to laugh at the lightening wish! Glad to hear that you had a great workout this morning. I am up for a trip to Florida! We could run and ride on a boardwalk!

Janis - That's great that you are getting Providence. It is supposed to be really good. I haven't bitten as I am going to try and do the Enter the Kettlebell Right of Passage and keep the spending down! Let me know how it is as I may cave sometime;) I meant to say earlier that we are hoping my oldest gets to be in a split grade next year but we don't get any say... however I think that it will be pretty likely as he is in on now. Hope you survive KPC/L&G!

Tara and MJ - Hellllllooooo out there!
Cheers
Heather

An hour of yoga this morning. Next week I'm dropping the boys down to just doing school stuff once in the morning for the summer - yes they do stuff all summer. I'm hoping to do yoga in the afternoons at that point and outside most of the time.

Heather Sparty is right around a year old and at least one of the breeds in his mix has a 2 yr puppyhood! So, we've got a ways to go yet. If we make it through that, I think we'll be fine. He really is a sweet dog if you overlook his tendency to destroy things. :p

I checked out the county map and found a 6 mile route to ride tomorrow. Sunday morning depending on when I get up I'll do 8 or 10. Derek has a 10:00 game and we haven't yet heard what time we are supposed to be there or figured out how long it takes to get there. Fortunately, it's the school district just on the other side of the one they play for, so it shouldn't be too bad. Basically, we live at one end of the county and they border the other end.

Hope you all are doing fine! Heather what terrifying sounding workout are you doing today?!

Morning Everyone

This is just a short note...way busy with a deadline tomorrow. I totally underestimated how much time it would take.
I am going to take a rest day today as I actually have DOMS from all the push-ups yesterday. I haven't had DOMS since starting Kbells. I may try and squeeze in my 12 min swings if I have time tonight. Hope everyone is doing well!
Cathy: Ha! There is no terrifying workout today! I think with all this high intensity stuff it is better to take 2 rest days... Hope you get your bike ride in. I like to keep the boys doing school stuff all summer too and then they aren't so far behind in the fall. My youngest is just getting to the point where he can really start reading so I don't want to leave it alone!

Janis, Tara and MJ - Have a spectacular day!

Cheers Heather

Talk to you tomorrow.
Cheers
Heather

Hey Heather and Cathy

How were your workouts, bike rides, and yoga today?

Yesterday I ran 5 miles and later in the day I did Hiit DWP. The third time through (or is it the fourth) seemed easier, only because I knew what was coming next and what to expect overall.

Today it is Drill Max with Kettlebell swings thrown in, then I am out of town for the day.

Heather - are you using KB everyday? I am wondering how often I can do KB workouts - what have you learned about that? Are rest days needed like with weight lifting? I am thinking about doing a Kettlebell intensive for the month of July from the dvds and books I have.

Cathy - why is it that dogs always go for shoes when they are teething? You can provide them with tons of chew toys, but it's always the beloved pair of shoes that gets destroyed. It sounds like you have another busy baseball weekend on tap. Enjoy your bike rides, they sound fabulous! I'd love to have the wind in my hair and feel like I am sailing along.

What is everyone's fitness plan and fitness goal? I keep saying I am going to lose the five pounds I put on, but so far it's still with me. My goal is to continue increasing running mileage without getting injured!

:D

Last edited:
I rode 6 miles this morning and it was a far more challenging route than the 4 miles I'd been doing. There are lots of hills around out here. Definitely not like living in the mountains, but certainly NOT flat. My quads were really feeling it.

Totally doesn't seem like Friday. Boys and I went shopping all morning, then just after we got home DH came home early. Didn't know he was going to and his being here always throws this off. Then Derek had practice and Nicholas' ass't coaches son plays with him, so the coach was there and practiced with Nicholas and his older son. Rained pretty much the whole time, so I sat in the van and read.

Now I have to do dishes and make pasta for a salad for lunch tomorrow as we'll be eating at the field between games. Derek and I need to leave by 7:30, so I have to get all my little ducks in a row tonight. DH and Nicholas will come a little later as DH needs his car to come home between games and give Sparty a break. We'll only be about 1/2 an hour from home fortunately otherwise he'd end up stuck in his crate for 7+ hours and as energetic as he is we'd pay for that later!

I haven't even thought about what I'll do next week yet, besides riding every other day. Truly my brain is just fried from the logistics of getting everyone where they need to be and making sure they are fed regularly.

Hey Guys
I wrote a big long message and somehow deleted it. I will write it again! Janis could you please email me again... I can't be sure of your address and then I can send you the stuff for the kettlebell rotation I was going to send you. I'll write more tomorrow.
Heather

Hey Ladies

My day out of town yesterday was a series of one bad decision after another. Ever have one of those days? My frustration mounted with the tourism traffic, from the city of Napa to Calistoga it was bumper to bumper. Argh. Single file on Hwy29 for miles and miles....beautiful scenery, but frustrating.

I was going to run this morning, but I've changed my mind; I am going to do 2 hours of yoga with David Swenson instead. (He's bony and unappealing to look at, but effective yoga routine, so I won't look!:eek:)

Heather - I emailed you. I've accidentally deleted forum posts too, that's as frustrating as tourism traffic :p.

We finally have warmer weather...yay!

Have a great one.

Hey Everyone
This weekend has been really busy and I had written a big long note on Friday and then somehow it did not post. I had even written out my goals etc like Janis had suggested. So I was a little bummed. I have to work again tonight so I had better go. But I will talk to you later and re-write my plan... or sort of plan!
There was today's workout
WO:
Couplets of 4 rounds for each couplet alternating 50/10 off:
KBswings 28/29: 10 High knees then drop 8/8
Alternating Swings 27/27; Donkey kicks from side to side 27/29
Dive Bombers 9/13; High Knees Jump Rope 80/90
squat twist jump 27/26; Reverse Crunch w lift 15/17
Reverse Lunge 14/12; Superman Push-up 13/11
Tea-cup Squat 11/9; Plank Climbers ?/?
Then Snatch Ladder 3x5 = 90 snatches
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.