Workout Programs

I have about $300 that's burning a hole in my pocket. I want to buy another workout program, but just aren't sure what to get. I have all of Cathe's workouts (except for basic step, ab hits, and hsc). I preordered STS but became really turned off by how similar it looked to P90X and by the new cast members (not sure why, guess I don't like change!) My husband has P90X and loves it. His point is why buy STS when I could just use P90X, which is the "original." I haven't done P90X because in all honesty I really don't think I'm ready for all of the pushups and pullups. I'm can do around 50 pushups on my toes, straight through, but after that my form stinks and I go to my knees. I can do two pullups with correct form. I don't want to just stand around and watch Tony and the crew workout while I watch.

I've also been interested in CLX, but the recent post on how it seems easy after a hardcore program like STS (and prob. P90X) makes me think it might not be for me. It seems like there might be a lot of compound moves in the program, which wouldn't allow me to really go heavy. I'm trying to build some muscle in my upper body, but slim down my lower body- a common goal for women, I guess.

The thought of buying P90 or P90 masters series has crossed my mind. Not sure if that would be a good fit.

I thought of buying a book, maybe The New Rules of Lifting for Women, and creating my own workout. Since I have a ton of weights and equip at home, I could easily do that.

I also wouldn't mind getting some more cardio, but I have to really watch what I do for cardio. My left knee hates anything high impact, so I've been doing kickboxing as my cardio. I even thought of using the money to buy a bike to ride outside.

So, I guess I'm looking for some tips on what to purchase. :)

A few random thoughts for ya:

I did a round of P90X in January 2007 and it was very effective! You don't have to be able to do all of the push ups/pull ups/chin ups. You do as much as you can. Modify if/when needed. The more you do them, the better you will get at them!

As for not buying STS because you already own P90X? BOOH! STS and P90X are very different programs. They may have a common goal but they get there in very different ways. Don't buy that bologna that it's silly to have both! ;)

I for one do no agree with CLX (or any other lifting program that you currently do) being useless after completing STS. IMO, part of being and advanced exerciser is being able not only to modify DOWN when you need to but to be able to modify UP! Ramp it up, heavy it up, speed it up! You can definitely make it work for you! This is my experience anyway. :)

I did most of the CLX rotation just recently. I stopped short of completing the Lean phase due to a 2 week illness. I loved it and will definitely do it again!

I gotta say take another look at STS, it's really nothing like P90x, yes they are both periodization programs, but that's where the similarities end. You mentioned you have many cardio dvds for variety, this is no different, it's just variety in your weight routines. Being a fan of Cathe's already, I don't see how you would be disappointed in STS. I pre-ordered too, and remember seeing the original youtube clips, and for some reason, started getting a little worried I would not like it, the clips just were not doing it justice. I love it, I started my second round last week.

I just bought CLX on ebay, it didn't have the band or calipers, but I'm ok with that to save so much money. So I don't have any opinions on that yet.

Oh yeah, there is that new Shaun T. Insanity program coming out soon, I've heard 6/12 is the release, but no pricing info yet, that looks super intense, it's all cardio and body weight exercises.

Happy spending!

Dela,

Below I posted a snippet of the CLX review that I happen to agree with.
CLX is a step down from P90X and we both know P90X is a step down from STS:D
I think you would be doing well to maintain your STS gains with CLX, but IMO, you would have to add in more chest work. It has decent leg and shoulder work, but it lacks chest work- again IMO.
Chest work is almost non-existant if you compare it to STS:eek:
I still think CLX was the best program to condition me for STS. I know Kathryn used it and mentioned she was deconditioned at the time. I'll save my set for when I'm recovering from something.

From CLX review

"Having said that, I personally feel that if you have completed P90X already, and like that level of intensity, then Chalean Extreme will be a step down. If you have not completed P90X, and want a solid program to stay fit and healthy, and don’t necessarily want the extra added intenisty of P90X, I think you will love Chalean Extreme. Taking it another step forwards, if you are wanting to do a round of P90X, then I think Chalean Extreme is the perfect program to get you ready.
When I did my complete round of Chalean Extreme, it was with the goal of staying or maintaining my current level of fitness that I had previously achieved with P90X."

I read the snipet of a review of CLX vs P90X that was posted above. I have to say that I do not agree.

Just because you are able to complete P90X doesn't necessarily mean you won't enjoy and see results from CLX. I have both and have done both and have loved both and found both of them very challenging and effective! I saw more dramatic changes with P90X, yes, but my diet was much tighter then it was during CLX. I found CLX to a lot more fun the P90X though and quite frankly, the brevity of the CLX work outs was like a breath of fresh air for me. Being bound to 60 minutes (or more) day in and day out gets old for me real fast.... That's just me of course. I know lots of folks who can't stand to work out for anything LESS then that amount of time each day...To each his own. :)

That being said, I don't think the OP should count out ANY of these three programs out (STS, P90X or CLX). I have never done STS but I know it is very different from both P90X and CLX and are all EXCELLENT in their own right. Hard choice if you ask me but you have to consider your personal likes/dislikes when choosing a work out and apply them to the programs and see which one seems like the best fit for you.

I don't envy you having to make this decision! :p

Last edited:
Being bound to 60 minutes (or more) day in and day out gets old for me real fast.... That's just me of course. I know lots of folks who can't stand to work out for anything LESS then that amount of time each day...To each his own. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you train for marathons? It seems to me the advanced exercisers who find CLX challenging are people who are cross training.

No one is telling the OP not to consider CLX. I think it's a great program and it is fun! It conditioned me for the intensity of STS. It taught me to pick up heavier weights. But I've outgrown it. :(The OP seems concerned she may outgrow the program. It's very possible. CLX doesn't hold a candle to STS. I'm sorry, IMO it doesn't.

Yes, outgrowing a program is something that I'm afraid of. I don't mind the hour workouts. In fact, the shorter time of the CLX workouts makes me worry a bit. I also dont' want to end up adding on any body part or extra sets of anything. Heck, that's why I'm willling to spend a couple hundred dollars so I can let an expert create a program for me!

So, I guess P90 and P90 masters series wouldn't even be in the running?

I know that one of my concerns when I org. preordered STS was all the extra equip I might need. I have tons of dumbbells and a pullup rack, along with your typical 8 pound med ball and assortment of bands. I won't need anything else, like a squat rack or a weighted vest, right? What about a barbell?

Also, do I need to do the one rep max? I pretty much know what I can lift.

Barbell is only necessary if you do the squat rack routine in Meso 3 but Cathe gives the option of Plyo legs if you choose not to do the squat rack routine.

A weighted vest is not mandatory either. I found it helpful because my hands hurt from holding really heavy dumbbells. I didn't use the vest until Meso 2. Again, it wasn't necessary.

Stability ball
Weight bench or step with risers
Dumbbells
resistant band
plate- or gliding disc (I used Valslides)
Pull up bar/ or band to to do latte pull downs.

Optional
Ankle weights optional for bonus legs- but you can get a good workout without them.
I used the thumb hole wrist weights for micro loading. Cathe uses weighted gloves. Micro loading helps you move up 5% a lot easier. I also use pace weights, but the gloves/wrist weights work fine.

Yes, outgrowing a program is something that I'm afraid of. I don't mind the hour workouts. In fact, the shorter time of the CLX workouts makes me worry a bit. I also dont' want to end up adding on any body part or extra sets of anything. Heck, that's why I'm willling to spend a couple hundred dollars so I can let an expert create a program for me!

So, I guess P90 and P90 masters series wouldn't even be in the running?

P90 and P90M are not advanced exercise programs so if you are looking for advanced, do not get them.

If you prefer the longer work outs then you will not like CLX. Her longest work out is 45 minutes and most of them average about 35 minutes.

If you are gun shy about doing P90X for fear of not keeping up then I would think STS would not be the answer for you right now either. Perhaps you should give P90X a try and then move on to STS.

JMHO. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you train for marathons? It seems to me the advanced exercisers who find CLX challenging are people who are cross training.

No one is telling the OP not to consider CLX. I think it's a great program and it is fun! It conditioned me for the intensity of STS. It taught me to pick up heavier weights. But I've outgrown it. :(The OP seems concerned she may outgrow the program. It's very possible. CLX doesn't hold a candle to STS. I'm sorry, IMO it doesn't.

I am not training for anything right now. I had started training for my first full marathon several months (pre CLX) ago but stopped. Among other things, I was not willing to put the time into the training. Maybe some day...

In all fairness, I don't have STS so I don't know where you are coming from. In my experience work outs can be modified to suit your ability (both up and down) but that's just MY experience with the work outs that I have been doing as of late so going back and forth on this topic seems pointless. However, if ever I purchase and complete the STS program I will have to make a point of following it up with CLX cause now I'm curious to see if I'd agree or not. :)

I say go for STS. I am doing the 6 month rotation and absolutly love. Hated the push-ups in Meso 1 am currently at the end of Meso 2(and i actually missed the push-ups:)) Have really increased my weights in chest and triceps:) as they say..."try it, you'll like it!"

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.