working kettlebells into rotations

workingToBeFit

Cathlete
For all you experienced kettlebell users, how often do you work them in, to say a week-long or month-long workout plan? Do you ever do them 2 days in a row? Do you sub them in for a purely weight workout, or a circuit training session, as it seems they train a lot of the body and even have a cardio effect? I just got AOS Clinic, and the Lauren Brooks first DVD should be arriving any day now [thanks to the posters here for recommending those], and I am so excited about them. I did the AOS instruction yesterday and now I have kettlebells on the brain :) I usually alternate cardio (like Cardio Fusion or kickboxing) with full-body weights (like Muscle Endurance or another of Cathe's), but I will need to change things up to work kettlebells in. So I was wondering what bell-experienced Catheites are doing with their kettlebells.

Hi Ann,

I have been working out with kettlebells for over 4 years now. I don't have a specific rotation though. I use kettlebells in a variety of different ways - in circuits, for strength and just overall conditioning. I have some dvds but usually just do my own thing with them. I mix in running, swimming and even traditional weight work (because I still love that as well). So there is a variety of ways you can work kettlebells into your rotations.

Since kettlebells are a total body strength and conditioning tool you might want to throw out the upper body/lower body mindset. Kettlebells work the whole body instead of isolating a specific muscle.

I know many kettlebell programs as set up as light, medium and heavy days. So if you want just overall cardio conditioning you can use a lighter bell for those workouts and if you want something more strength oriented use a heavier bell and go slower with the workouts.

Since you are new to kettlebells you might want to plan 2 kettlebell workouts a week just to get use to them and the exercises. You will be able to gauge how your body is handling the work. Also there are some kettlebell workouts that are more strength oriented and some that are more oriented to cardio conditioning. I don't have the Lauren Brooks workouts but I do know that with the AOS dvds that Providence and Firepower can be used for strength training and Newport for cardio conditioning since it is faster and you have to use a lighter kettlebell.

HTH,

Jane, thanks for the advice! This helps a lot. In particular it's good to know about the AOS workouts you mentioned, Providence, Firepower, and Newport. I was wondering what the differences were between several of those.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.