Wobbly Step Platform

Tootles

Cathlete
Hello all! I'm wondering if I have a faulty step or if a little wobble is normal. I just got my first full-sized original step (I used to use a Reebok step, but I wanted the option for extra risers and incline work). The platform/topper tends to sit a little unsteadily on the risers - sometimes it slides back and forth a centimeter or two, and sometimes when I step on one end the other end pops up. It's annoyingly noisy when it does that, but more importantly I'm concerned that one day it will catch me off guard and I'll fall.

I have the new red step platform. I've tried it on the universal risers and on classic risers, and I've made sure to clean off dust so they're not slippery. I did notice that while my platform has only four little rubber feet at its corners, it looks like it has spots for four more rubber feet near the middle (so that four feet would rest on each riser). I knelt down to get a close look, and the four rubber feet it does have do not touch the corresponding divots in the riser below them. They float just above.

I'm going to reach out to The Step customer service tomorrow, but I'm interested in your experiences. Thanks!

Hello all! I'm wondering if I have a faulty step or if a little wobble is normal. I just got my first full-sized original step (I used to use a Reebok step, but I wanted the option for extra risers and incline work). The platform/topper tends to sit a little unsteadily on the risers - sometimes it slides back and forth a centimeter or two, and sometimes when I step on one end the other end pops up. It's annoyingly noisy when it does that, but more importantly I'm concerned that one day it will catch me off guard and I'll fall.

I have the new red step platform. I've tried it on the universal risers and on classic risers, and I've made sure to clean off dust so they're not slippery. I did notice that while my platform has only four little rubber feet at its corners, it looks like it has spots for four more rubber feet near the middle (so that four feet would rest on each riser). I knelt down to get a close look, and the four rubber feet it does have do not touch the corresponding divots in the riser below them. They float just above.

I'm going to reach out to The Step customer service tomorrow, but I'm interested in your experiences. Thanks!
Hi Tootles, is the floor you have your Step on flat/level? If the floor is not flat/level, I can see it being wobbly. But I'm a little nervous for you regarding the step popping up, it can really make you fall or hit you hard. I have the original step that is blue, I've had it for over 25 years and it still works just fine. Good idea to reach out to The Step customer service. Maybe the risers that you have are not even or defective. Hope it all works out for you. This is what I have plus additional risers that I purchased in black:

1612973673086.png

Sounds like something is warped. I've had my original step for almost 30 years & use it every week with no problems as you describe. I purchased a 2nd, used, step off ebay almost 20 years ago. The cover mat was stained or bleached and it seemed a little warped ... made sounds like you describe & seemed to flex more. I suspected it was stored outside in the weather. I only use it as a separate weight bench. I encourage you to contact the company as I'm sure they'll want you to be safe.

Hi Tootles, is the floor you have your Step on flat/level? If the floor is not flat/level, I can see it being wobbly. But I'm a little nervous for you regarding the step popping up, it can really make you fall or hit you hard. I have the original step that is blue, I've had it for over 25 years and it still works just fine. Good idea to reach out to The Step customer service. Maybe the risers that you have are not even or defective. Hope it all works out for you. This is what I have plus additional risers that I purchased in black:
Oh, that's a very good thought. It could just be the very old flooring in my rental. I'll try it in a few places around the house to figure out whether the problem is with the step or the floors, then reach out to customer service if it's definitely the step. Thanks!

In case anyone is curious, I finally emailed The Step yesterday morning (I'm a terrible procrastinator) with my concerns and some photos, and they responded the same evening to say they're sending a new platform. What great customer service!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.